New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Quick Question:
My interview is on 3/12/2009. My current passport is issued on 10/25/2005. I can't find my previous passport. Will it be a problem on interview date

Citizenship Timeline
D/O : NYC
10/29/08:N-400 Mailed to VSC
10/30/08:N-400 Received.
10/30/08:priority Date
11/3/08:Check cashed
10/30/08:Notice Date
11/2/08:NOA received ( I-797C)
11/05/08:FP Notice received
11/26/08:FP appointment
1/23/09:IL received
3/12/09: Interview Date

After you became a US citizen, did you inform the USCIS about it?

My case status online stills says that the case is pending. :confused: I’ve read this post http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=291869 and now wonder whether I should call USCIS to find out what they now have for me on file.

they dont update the status it will stay the same as pending thats how it is...everyone knows the uscis does not go and update the status..dont worry ur status is what it has been in person dont look at the website as i have said they dont update websites..

Quick Question:
My interview is on 3/12/2009. My current passport is issued on 10/25/2005. I can't find my previous passport. Will it be a problem on interview date

Citizenship Timeline
D/O : NYC
10/29/08:N-400 Mailed to VSC
10/30/08:N-400 Received.
10/30/08:priority Date
11/3/08:Check cashed
10/30/08:Notice Date
11/2/08:NOA received ( I-797C)
11/05/08:FP Notice received
11/26/08:FP appointment
1/23/09:IL received
3/12/09: Interview Date

it can be a problem if you traveled and it can be a problem if you are filing based on the 5 years..they will want to see the 5 year passport incase you traveled

Quick Question:

Probably not. I lost one old passport and had one stolen. Just brought my current one to the interview - interviewer never asked about the old ones at all. (I did have my police report listing the stolen passport.) Unless you have weird travel dates or they suspect you haven't fully disclosed them, I don't think a lost passport will be a problem.

I filed for an INFOPASS last week and when my number was finally called: the male IO who spoke to me stated the following: "it's only been two months and your app was already approved, RELAX, we have up to 120 days to get this oath letter to you" and then I thought to myself, these people don't have any idea on what people need to do with their personal lifes, they seem to be lost in the twilight zone.

"Beam me up, Scotty" bcs brother, this USCIS ain't working !!!

After you became a US citizen, did you inform the USCIS about it?

Why would you inform the same agency that made you a citizen that you became a citizen? Do you inform the DMV when you get your driver license?

I don't mean to be crass, but it's a pretty silly question.

I filed for an INFOPASS last week and when my number was finally called: the male IO who spoke to me stated the following: "it's only been two months and your app was already approved, RELAX, we have up to 120 days to get this oath letter to you" and then I thought to myself, these people don't have any idea on what people need to do with their personal lifes, they seem to be lost in the twilight zone.

"Beam me up, Scotty" bcs brother, this USCIS ain't working !!!

Considering the fact that the amount of applications has decreased significantly, I can't help but wonder why the oath ceremonies are being delayed all across the board (not just NYC).

Interview done!

Hi all
This board has been so helpful as I navigated my citizenship process. Thank you all. I just returned from Federal Plaza after my citizenship interview.

Things went well. I arrived about 30 minutes before my scheduled time and, once upstairs, waited about an hour for my name to be called. The DAO was polite and very fast. She asked me to verify my name, DOB, SS#, telephone number and home address. Using the N 400 application she confirmed my marital status and employment (only questions, no proof), asked me if I had ever been convicted or arrested or questioned by an immigration officer or solicited illegal substances or prostitution, clarified whether the organizations I had listed in Question 8 were related to any political party (they weren't as they are all medical organizations to which I belong as a physician) and rhetorically said, "I'm sure you have paid all your taxes and don't have any outstanding balance." She then asked me if I would be willing to help the US in case I am ever needed in service. Following this brief series of q's, she asked me my 6 civics questions, asked me to read a line and write a sentence and then said that there was absolutely nothing more and she was approving me. All this took a total of 12 minutes.

She asked me if I had some time to wait for an oath letter and when I enthusiastically said that I most certainly did, she walked me to the copier to make a copy of my green card and the passport. We talked about her family in Argentina and the terrible winter weather in NYC today. She warmly congratulated me and told me where to wait.

About an hour later, I received my oath date letter for February 20 in Brooklyn! There were quite a few folks in that section of the office waiting for an oath letter too so I imagine that this was an option offered to many others as well. I'm not sure how they decide who to offer it to but I hope that there is a process as opposed to random chance.

Thanks all for your support,

docrck

Hi all
This board has been so helpful as I navigated my citizenship process. Thank you all. I just returned from Federal Plaza after my citizenship interview.

Things went well. I arrived about 30 minutes before my scheduled time and, once upstairs, waited about an hour for my name to be called. The DAO was polite and very fast. She asked me to verify my name, DOB, SS#, telephone number and home address. Using the N 400 application she confirmed my marital status and employment (only questions, no proof), asked me if I had ever been convicted or arrested or questioned by an immigration officer or solicited illegal substances or prostitution, clarified whether the organizations I had listed in Question 8 were related to any political party (they weren't as they are all medical organizations to which I belong as a physician) and rhetorically said, "I'm sure you have paid all your taxes and don't have any outstanding balance." She then asked me if I would be willing to help the US in case I am ever needed in service. Following this brief series of q's, she asked me my 6 civics questions, asked me to read a line and write a sentence and then said that there was absolutely nothing more and she was approving me. All this took a total of 12 minutes.

She asked me if I had some time to wait for an oath letter and when I enthusiastically said that I most certainly did, she walked me to the copier to make a copy of my green card and the passport. We talked about her family in Argentina and the terrible winter weather in NYC today. She warmly congratulated me and told me where to wait.

About an hour later, I received my oath date letter for February 20 in Brooklyn! There were quite a few folks in that section of the office waiting for an oath letter too so I imagine that this was an option offered to many others as well. I'm not sure how they decide who to offer it to but I hope that there is a process as opposed to random chance.

Thanks all for your support,

docrck

Congratulations.- With all due respect to you, this is your first time posting on this board and I would like to be clear that you are not someone from USCIS or DHS passing as an applicant, and trying to counterbalance all the bad experiences that everyone on this and other forums have gone through.

Please, can you post your signature timeline? Why would they give you Brooklyn? Where did you apply from, Brooklyn or Manhattan? Tell us a little more about your interview? You seem to know words such as DAO which is a District Adjudication Officer? We understand that the person interviewing you has to be a Senior DAO in order no to get supervisor approval on the oath, do you know if he was one? You stated you spoke about Argentina, was the DAO hispanic?

Last week, when I went in for my INFOPASS, they were doing administrative oath ceremonies right on the 7th floor of 26 federal plaza on Thursdays and not at the courthouse in 500 pearl street !!!

I hope you will understand, we are trying to weed out SPAM on this forum !!! ;)

hi guys.. i had my oath at 225 cadman plaza ..it was very long very!!like 5-6 hours and funny too..some very funny people were around..some guy that works there was telling us if no one smiles they will have to come back for oath in 2 weeks. then at the end some girl sang the Star Spangled Banner...when it was time to take the oath i felt like i was a new immigrant because i was at oath...i been here since i was 6 years old in school from 1st grade to the 8th we did this in front of the flag before class started...only i knew that i spent my entire life in the states..(there they had people who came to the states as adults and got their green card and citizenship by 3 or 5 years) i dont know any other country but this one since i grew up here it just felt strange..well i got that over with now i have to worry about them upgrading my status i dont want to register to vote unless im sure they have me down as a citizen..

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations.- With all due respect to you, this is your first time posting on this board and I would like to be clear that you are not someone from USCIS or DHS passing as an applicant, and trying to counterbalance all the bad experiences that everyone on this and other forums have gone through.

Please, can you post your signature timeline? Why would they give you Brooklyn? Where did you apply from, Brooklyn or Manhattan? Tell us a little more about your interview? You seem to know words such as DAO which is a District Adjudication Officer? We understand that the person interviewing you has to be a Senior DAO in order no to get supervisor approval on the oath, do you know if he was one? You stated you spoke about Argentina, was the DAO hispanic?

Last week, when I went in for my INFOPASS, they were doing administrative oath ceremonies right on the 7th floor of 26 federal plaza on Thursdays and not at the courthouse in 500 pearl street !!!

I hope you will understand, we are trying to weed out SPAM on this forum !!! ;)

Hi
No problem, here we go with your q's

1) I don't have all my dates here in the office, but here is what I do have:
VSC, NYC office
PD 4/7/08
FP 4/29/08
Interview date 1/28/09
Oath date 2/20/09

2)Why would they give you Brooklyn? Where did you apply from, Brooklyn or Manhattan?
-I live in Queens and my interview was at Federal Plaza. Why they gave me Brooklyn for my Oath who knows. I was not going to ask that question since I was delighted to GET an oath date right there!

3) Tell us a little more about your interview?
-I did, in my original posting. Every detail is right there!

4) You seem to know words such as DAO which is a District Adjudication Officer? We understand that the person interviewing you has to be a Senior DAO in order no to get supervisor approval on the oath, do you know if he was one?
-DAO was listed after her name on the printed form she checked off letting me know I passed the test etc. It was not a male, btw

5) You stated you spoke about Argentina, was the DAO hispanic?
I'm not sure how this is relevant. I did not make an assessment of her ethnic background. She is Argentinian and that's it.

docrck

Hi
No problem, here we go with your q's

1) I don't have all my dates here in the office, but here is what I do have:
VSC, NYC office
PD 4/7/08
FP 4/29/08
Interview date 1/28/09
Oath date 2/20/09

2)Why would they give you Brooklyn? Where did you apply from, Brooklyn or Manhattan?
-I live in Queens and my interview was at Federal Plaza. Why they gave me Brooklyn for my Oath who knows. I was not going to ask that question since I was delighted to GET an oath date right there!

3) Tell us a little more about your interview?
-I did, in my original posting. Every detail is right there!

4) You seem to know words such as DAO which is a District Adjudication Officer? We understand that the person interviewing you has to be a Senior DAO in order no to get supervisor approval on the oath, do you know if he was one?
-DAO was listed after her name on the printed form she checked off letting me know I passed the test etc. It was not a male, btw

5) You stated you spoke about Argentina, was the DAO hispanic?
I'm not sure how this is relevant. I did not make an assessment of her ethnic background. She is Argentinian and that's it.

docrck

Thank you so much for your feedback, docrck.

This helps us a lot, because it confirms that they are still having lots of difficulties giving out oaths same day in Manhattan. The information we have is that everytime there is an oath confirmed is either in Brooklyn, or Queens or Central Islip or Long Island.

We also know that the interview backlog for Manhattan is greater than we imagined, reason why they are sending people to Garden City for interviews, but they also seem to be clogged when scheduling oaths after the interview is conducted elsewhere.

When the applicant has their interview in Manhattan, they seem to get an oath date right away whereas if you have the interview in Garden City, you fall into the backlog. It seems like the files are being backlogged in Garden City.

Also some DAO from some ethnic backgrounds seem to be more helpful than others who seem to have an attitude problem, maybe because they have been there too long and they want the systen to remain the way it was.

When you say, she was a DAO, she must have gotten right away an approval from her supervisor to get you the Oath Date, which is great.

This is the way we learn and apply ourselves in diiferent cases. Believe that many other people read our posts and they are either very timid to join our forum or they dont speak and/or write the language very well.

Also we have some people we believe are SPAMMERS or work for USCIS and try to present USCIS as the panacea of all the applicant problems where there seems to be many that work inside USCIS that want to maintain the status quo (in other words, everything to remain the same.)

Again, thank you for your feedback. :D

Any guess how long wait after waiving the 120 days?

If someone (stupidly?) waves the 120 days processing time, what would be a good guess for the waiting time then? Thanks.

I'm back home after a week vacation hoping to see the oath letter in the mail.
Nothing. Disappointed. I probably will do an info pass next week.

i never did info pass before..i dont think it helps much but waste time..what do they do there? basically nothing but tell you to wait for ur oath or for ur interiew letter....not like infopass makes them move ur case faster.

Timeline in VA

I have seen many timelines for NYC. I would like to see similar details for VA timelines.
Thanks