New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

AC21 protection? how ?

As for the case in question, then it's not about the moral character; rather this person's eligibilty for green card would be in question which might make his green card to be revoked unless he is protected under AC21 law.

How and under what conditions could I be protected by AC21 ? please explain.
Thanks!!

Ac21. ?

My GC was approved in March 2002.
Yes my I485 took more than a year to be approved.
Now, AC21 could apply on me?

Oath Done

Hello people
I am glad to say that our oath is finished on Sept 16 & 17th and we applied for passport on same day.

Oath process is simple but long. we went at court house 8:15AM and were finished at about 12:00

good luck to everyone who are waiting

I had my oath today at Cadman Plaza at 8:00am. There were about 300-400 people. Full load. One young lady felt bad in the beginning and they had to take her to ER and she didn't have her oath and citizenship today :(

Therefore I sneak out to be fist in the line, so they called me in 1st 20 minutes to sign cert and give up GC and then I left to cafeteria to eat something and spend some time. Whole process to sign all certs and collect GC took them about 3h. While they were doing that they gave voters registration card - I refused to register :D Then they talked about our rights as citizens and immigrants. There was also a lady from state free or cheap health insurance program to tell about it. Most people were not eligible, because they make more money than minimum. Only old people were eligible to get medicaid.

After 3h they called judge and he gave a speech. Then oath and they started to give away name change court orders and then certificates. Then long line to pick-up a cell phone and a trip to SSA.

I didn't apply for passport & passcard yet since I go to Canada tomorrow by car and I need proof or citizenship to get back to US.

I'm US CITIZEN!

At SSA big lines, but when I got inside after security checkup it went fast, around 15 minutes. I got status updated and they will send new ssn card as well. They gave me receipt and temporary proof from SSA that I'm a citizen, have SSN #... DOB and I can start working with that....

Then a trip to DMV: LINESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

But for Enhanced DL they made new window and no people!! So I was #1 in line! Quick eye test, they scanned my SSN, DL, certificate, ssa annual statement and collect fee for renewal. My EDL will arrive in 2 weeks. Interim license doesn't say it's EDL. I saw new software for EDL on their LCD monitor and they just entered cert # or SSN# or DL# and all data was about me there ! All documents were scanned and they authenticate they were not forged.

FYI for all.
I spoke to the lawyer ( my lawyer for GC), he said that there are number of cases being investigated in Newark. People who got employment based GC but never took job with the sponsoring employer. They were sent "intent to revoke GC" letters, when they were asked about the sponsoring employer in the Citizenship interview.
Advice from my lawyer to me... Abandon your Citizenship process for now, until there is a workaround. If they call for interview just dont show up.
Please advise

Hi Vorpal,

I have an interview day after tomorrow at Graden City. Any last minute word of wisdom? Any word on parking there?

There is enough parking to accommodate a small country. No joke, there are 2 enormous parking lots on the east and west sides of the building. Speaking of east, that's the side of the building you need to go to, as that's where the USCIS is located. Don't arrive too early, as the security officers downstairs won't allow you in until 30-45 minutes prior to your interview. Not only are you allowed to bring in your cell phone, you're allowed to use it too. From what I saw, it takes about 45-60 minutes to get called, so bring some reading material. There's a Starbucks on Stewart Ave. about a block or so away, so you can get your caffeine fix there. Other than that, relax and don't sweat it. If your case is straightforward and you get a decent IO, don't expect to spend more than 10 minutes on your interview. Good luck!

I totally forgot that i need to update my status with SSN and DMV. Wow, now when will i be able to do that? Just thougt I would pop in to see what was going on...

You can update your status with the SSA by mail. What you have to do is fill out form SS-5 (found here: http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf) and send it to them. However, I recommend updating your status in person, as the SSA requires you to send them your ORIGINAL natz certificate along with the form. I felt uneasy handing over my certificate when I applied for my passport, so I wouldn't even entertain the idea of sending it to the SSA.

As far as the DMV goes, unless you're changing your name on the driver license, there's no need to update anything. You can update your citizenship status next time your DL comes up for renewal.

NYC Naturalization Experiences

Today I had an interview for citizenship at Garden City New York . This was my worse experience with USCIS. My case was 3 years marriage based. No criminal record, no moral issue not even a parking ticket. The interveiw was scheduled at 8:00 AM. I was called Approx. 9:10 AM by a lady officer (Black decent). From the start of the interview the officer was extremely rude and unfriendly. She started with the civic test which I passed with 10 out of 10 then she gave me three sentences to write which I did. After that she started with the application. She verified all the things on the application form. Asked about a trip of less than a month to home country. I said this was to visit my extended family back home. Then she proceeded to the rest of the questions including # of children, their dates of birth, names etc. etc. In this whole process she was not frindly at all. It's seemed like she was grilling me. After that she asked me about Tax transcripts which I handed over to her. I filed joint tax returns for the last eight years. Then she started working on her computer. At this point I thought its over and I am approved. Then she told me to show here the utilitiy bills , bank statements, house lease and health insurance information under both of our names. I had bank statments only which I gave it to her but she said this is not enough. Show me the apt. lease for the last three years. I told her that I am subleting a portion from my brother in law who own the house. She said OK show me the health insurance information. I gave her my health insurance card. She said "NO its not acceptable you have to show me the proof that you both are covered under this insurance for the last three years". I said Ok I can get a letter from my insurance company. She said OK " You either get this until 3 PM today or come back on November 17, 2008 with the proof and if you choose today & don't show up by 3 PM she will deny my case". I was shocked. I repeatedly requested her to please give me at least a day to get this letter but she insisted to inform her right now if I want until 3 PM today or November 17. I requested her to please give me at least 10 Minutes to check with my insurance company if they can fax me a letter. She said no as fax is not acceptable she needs original. I then conceded and requested her to give me the November 17th to come with the requested documents.

Guys It was extremely horrible experience. The interview lasted for one and half hours. Please advice what should I do now. Like I mentioned I am subleting a portion of a private house from my cousin who owns that house. I have no lease, no utilities bills under our joint name But I have joint bank statements and joint health insurance for the last three years. Will that be enough? Please advice.

Suprisingly she asked me If I have life insurance. I replied no. You will not believe me, she got annoyed and said " WHY NOT".

Guys what should I do now? Should I hire the attorney?

-----------------------------
VSC/NYC

11/19/2007 N-400 Applied
1/23/2008 Finger print
3/23/2008 Name check cleared
9/24/2008 Interview (Request more evidence):mad:
11/17/2008 Appointment for more evidence.

NYC Naturalization Experiences

I mentioned before I had traveling issues I over stayed the 6 months (visiting my husband and IO said she understands my reason for the traveling without me even saying anything as to why I traveled) I still applied due to the exception if you have a relative that you kept contact with..in my case my father mother sister brother, whom are all citizens. At the interview the IO gave me the test I got all of it correct. My English is with a regular American accent since I grew up here, My question is she said I will give it supervisor approval but on the decision letter it says we will mail you about our decision. That's all it say we will mail you..that's where she checked it.. but she said you will get mail in one week. I asked her did I get it she said yes I will do supervisor approval. I dont trust her since she rolled her eyes and popped her eyes when she was speaking about the traveling dates. tell me everyone what do you think and plz tell me have you gotten that checked where it says we will mail you about the decision?

I mentioned before I had traveling issues I over stayed the 6 months (visiting my husband and IO said she understands my reason for the traveling without me even saying anything as to why I traveled) I still applied due to the exception if you have a relative that you kept contact with..in my case my father mother sister brother, whom are all citizens. At the interview the IO gave me the test I got all of it correct. My English is with a regular American accent since I grew up here, My question is she said I will give it supervisor approval but on the decision letter it says we will mail you about our decision. That's all it say we will mail you..that's where she checked it.. but she said you will get mail in one week. I asked her did I get it she said yes I will do supervisor approval. I dont trust her since she rolled her eyes and popped her eyes when she was speaking about the traveling dates. tell me everyone what do you think and plz tell me have you gotten that checked where it says we will mail you about the decision?

It seems to ME that you will get an Oath notice soon. Since you have an issue of staying abroad for more than 6 months then officer felt to seek supervisor approval to clean her hands. This issue could go either way depending upon how many times you stayed for that long at oversees...and if there was a compelling reason. USCIS don't see reason of meeting with family members or like this for that long as favorable, nor it cut off the fact that contineous residency is in question. But if you stayed for that long for only once then most officers let it go.

Officer checked the right spot because application is not approved yet especially when this issue needs supervisory approval. So obviously, officer cannot check off the one that says about application being reccommended for approval. Also, officer couldn't tell you anything about your application when you asked because officer didn't know how her supervisor would act upon on this issue. It's not in her hands now. But if you ask me, I would say there is very good chance for you to receive oath notice within a week or so. Nothing to worry at this time especially when you knew beforehand that this could be an issue....

Good luck...
:)

Congrats to you as well, zkar. We have remarkably similar timelines.

Bobsmyth and Vorpal, I took your always sage advice, and it paid off. The second IO I spoke to wouldn't tell me anything. He said that the case had to be reviewed by "several" supervisors and that this took much longer than 30 days :confused: (I think he just wanted me off the phone; I probably interrupted his solitaire game). But the third IO told me what I need to know. She said that my interview is on October 8, at the federal courthouse in Brooklyn. As to the question of whether I need the physical letter at the ceremony, she couldn't say. I feel safer going to the infopass and getting it anyway.

Two days from the voting registration deadline! That's a squeaker. :D

Since your oath is in Brooklyn, there may be a chance that it'll be supervised by Officer Yee. She was very "by-the-book", so I highly doubt that she'd let anyone take their oath without the OL. In fact, she mentioned several times that in order to pick up our naturalization certificates, we MUST hand in the OL. I definitely agree that you should go to the InfoPass and get a printout of your OL.

On a lighter topic, you certainly DID squeak by! There will be volunteers handing out voter registration forms at the oath ceremony, so you can fill one out while you're waiting and give it back to them. The entire oath process will be lengthy, but once you have that certificate in your hand, the liberating feeling is indescribable!

Today I had an interview for citizenship at Garden City New York . This was my worse experience with USCIS. My case was 3 years marriage based. No criminal record, no moral issue not even a parking ticket.
I'm particularly interested in your case because mine is also 3y based. I will have mine on Nov 19 at 26 Fed plaza.
I suppose you sent them the marriage license in your N400, right?

I don't think I sent in anything extra besides what they asked. No bank statements, no bills, no life insurance.
I don't have life insurance (we are both young) but I may have to purchase it just in case.

Is there anything about your case that you didn't tell us? It scares me a bit but I think unless there is something odd, you shouldn't have any problem.

I don't think I sent in anything extra besides what they asked. No bank statements, no bills, no life insurance.
I don't have life insurance (we are both young) but I may have to purchase it just in case.

I think you should take with you as many as documents possible to show the contineouty and legitimacy of your marriage with your wife. Officers cannot and should not ask for any particular document to prove the legitimacy of the relationship....In the Irfnor's case, officer was a bit out of the line to tell him why he doesn't have life insurance...However, any officer can reject any document if s/he is not satisfied with it. That's why it's very important to take with as many as documents you can to prove your on-going marriage. Jointly filed tax-returns, rental-lease/morgage, joint bank account, wills, life-insurance policy, health insurance, birth certificate of chidren if they are born in the marriage, any trip taken together, pics, bills together, and most importanly take your wife to the interview with you and make sure interviewing officer knows she is there...So when you gets called for the interview, try to take your wife with you so that officer would know your wife is with you...that means you guys are still together...Of course, officer wouldn't allow her in with you, but it's a trick to let the officer know that you are with your wife...

Oh btw, people can get Accidental Life Insurance Policy for $1 for 3 months under some introductory rate....Check on web as there are many. People don't need to spend tons of money to get a life insurance for the purpose of immigration unless they really want to get life insurance policy for the benefit of their family. But it normally takes 3-4 weeks for a Policy to arrive, and it doesn't even require any formality of medical and other checks...and you can get a policy up to $1M for $1/month for 3 months. Good stuff, if you ask me...

Good luck...

Yes i meant did you submit your 3 year tax transcript or return, joint bank statement, joint utilities etc with your application?

This is what I had with me in the interview.
1- The joint tax return, W 2 and the IRS printout for the last 5 years.
2- Birth certificates of my 3 children (Recent kid born in Dec 06)
3- Marriage certificate ( I got married in 1999) They are questioning 9+ years old marriage with three kids Can you believe it?
4- Bank statements for the last eight years.

But she kept asking more. Finally she agreed that if I show her the joint health insurance plan for the last three years she will approve my case on the spot. I gave her my health insurance card (with all my family name listed on it including my wife as the member since 2004) but she said I need the letter from the insurance company. I requestd her if she give me 10 Minutes I can get it faxed to her from the insurance company she said no ,fax is not acceptable. She need original and get it before 3 PM. My health insurance company is located out of state. So I got a different date. I am not hiring any attorney. I shall fight my case by myself. I have a legt. marriage for the last 9years and I have ton of stuff to prove it.

Guys remember the insurances recently bought will not serve the purpose because she was very specific" I need to see these documents for the last three years" which in my case was 2005 to 2008.

special thanks to johnycash, vorpal, bobsmyth, nyc_naturalizer and many other members of this forum whose advice and comments were helpful in understanding N-400 process and benefitting from their experience. Now that I am US citizen, my next task is to start green card processing for my wife which was the main reason for my n-400 process.

Oath Experience in Brooklyn

Finally, citizenship. I "oathed" today in Brooklyn. Here's how it went down:

I arrived at the courthouse at 8:15 (probably should have come a little earlier, as the courtroom was already almost full by the time I got up there) and went through security. I recommend leaving your cell-phone (or camera) at home or in your car, as they make you check it at security, and the last thing you want to do after a 5 hour ceremony is get into one more line to retrieve your phone. We were then immediately ushered to the courtroom on the second floor. The row you sit in when you get in to the courtroom determines your order of processing for the rest of the event, so if you have the opportunity you may want to choose carefully. At my ceremony, the first rows to be called were those in the right section of the room (as one faces forward), then the center, then the left, in all cases from front to back. So the ideal scenario is to be on the right in one of the front rows, because then if you like you can spend most of the morning upstairs in the cafeteria (where you can watch the proceedings on video).

I estimate 300 people at the ceremony. The diversity of the group was in stark contrast with the stern faces of old white men gazing down at us from their portraits on the walls. It reminded me that the real benefit of naturalization is not so much to ourselves as to the enrichment it adds to the country as a whole.

There were three IOs. If any of them mentioned their name, I missed it. One acted as master of ceremonies, a lively and entertaining Jamaican-American fellow. The other two were fairly robotic African-American ladies who barely spoke. The male officer provided some instruction on how to fill out form N-445 (ie the back of the oath letter). One thing he mentioned that I didn't realize: USCIS needs this form to close your A-file; if you neglect to return it to them at the ceremony, then even with a US Passport in hand you may be treated at the port of entry as an alien based on your status in the system.

They then called everybody row by row (in the order mentioned above) to the front of the courtroom. Two of the officers sat at one desk and reviewed the answers on the N-445, annotated and signed it, and collected green cards. The third officer sat at another desk, in front of which each row lined up again, where applicants examined their naturalization certificate for errors and signed their (full) name.

This took a few hours. In the meantime, there was no explanation of how to apply for passport or update social security status, as some have described in their oath experiences. Even the voter registration people only arrived at the very end.

There was a little bit of drama when they found out that one lady there was supposed to be at an oath ceremony in Central Islip (at the same time). I felt bad for her, but I'm not sure how you make a mistake like that. I think they worked out an arrangement for her whereby she could stay for the oath in Brooklyn and then go pick up her certificate at the other courthouse.

After all the processing was done, the judge kept us waiting another half hour. The Jamaican-American officer tried to pass the time by getting everybody to stand up and be applauded when he called the name of their country of origin. It was a little silly, but amusing to watch some of the participants protest his pronunciations of their homelands (or the way it appeared on the USCIS roll he was reading, eg. Kampuchea (former Khmer name) for Cambodia). Central Asian nations he didn't even try to pronounce, but spelled.

The judge finally appeared and made up for her lateness with the brevity of her speech, which was only about three minutes long. We repeated the oath and the pledge, but the national anthem was not played. Finally they called us by name, in the original order of rows, to pick up the certificate and hand in the oath letter.

The relief! Those of you who have been through this know the feeling; those of you who haven't soon will. (I was a little disappointed though that the A# still appears on the naturalization certificate, as though USCIS is taunting us, "you see, you'll never be free of our clutches!")

First stop as a USC: to Kinko's to make a copy of my certificate. There's no way I'm going to release my certificate, earned from one inept government agency, to other inept government agencies without at least having a copy. (USPS lost my friend's passport application, including original documents!) Second stop: Kings County Board of Elections (quite close to the courthouse). I didn't register at the ceremony because the volunteers seemed a little disorganized and didn't report directly to the Board of Elections (rather, to an advocacy group)--with only two days left to register, I wasn't taking any chances. Third stop: Social Security Administration (security line was long but very efficient inside). I held off on the passport application for the moment so that I can show off my certificate to friends and family. As for the DMV, I'm not going to bother now because my license has to be renewed in a few months anyway.

Thanks to all the helpful people on this forum. I honestly don't know what people in our situation did before forums like this one. They must have just jumped in the ocean and swum home in frustration.

Sadly, Rick92 and Vorpal and all others my ID was descheduled for the second time.
Look at my timeline:
PD:Jan 07
FP:feb 07
ID:aprl 07
Deschedule ltr:march 07
2nd FP:augst 08
ID:Nov4th 08 26 Federal Plaza
2nd deschedule letter:Oct112008!!!!!!!!!!!

I really can't say much at this point, i am really off of my thinking and raisoning ability.
Your inputs will help shed some light
Thank you all

It's time to file a WOM. Since you haven't been interviewed, you have to file a straight WOM, as your case is not eligible for 1447(b). Take a look at the sticky dealing with suing the USCIS, as well as this page:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FBI_name_check

Married? Need more docs

I had my interview on Oct 7. The U.S history and English tests went fine. She said i'd mailed all docs so nothing further needed...except marriage related docs. I wasnt prepared for that. All i had was tax returns and bank statement which wasnt enough. So, i have to go back on nov. 3 to submit the docs.

For those of you who applied for GC via marriage, make sure to carry:
1. joint bank statements
2. insurance coverage for both
3. utility bills if in both names
4. title or rental lease if in both names

I had my interview on Oct 7. The U.S history and English tests went fine. She said i'd mailed all docs so nothing further needed...except marriage related docs. I wasnt prepared for that. All i had was tax returns and bank statement which wasnt enough. So, i have to go back on nov. 3 to submit the docs.

For those of you who applied for GC via marriage, make sure to carry:
1. joint bank statements
2. insurance coverage for both
3. utility bills if in both names
4. title or rental lease if in both names

I am in the same boat. I had my interview on Sept 24th and told to come back with more proof of marriage on Nov 17th. Were you interviewed in Garden city or Federal Plaza?