New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Question please: How do we get the State Tax Transcripts in NY? Do we need that at interview in addition to the Federal Tax Transcripts? Thank you very much for help!

Interview Today

I had my interview today at 26 Federal Plaza and my application was recommended for approval. :D

My appointment was at 12:30 pm so I got there by noon, but ended up waiting for three and a half hours until a lady officer called my name at 3:30 pm. So if your interview isn't scheduled during early morning, take something to eat or drink since you may have to wait for hours before you can eat anything. You can't eat or drink in the waiting room, but it's okay to do so right outside the waiting room in the hallway, where you can still hear them calling out the names. There was a lady sitting next to me who came at 11 am without any breakfast and had to wait for almost five hours until her interview, and needless to say, she was starving!

My interview went w/o any problems since I didn't have any complications, and the entire process took about 15-20 minutes. Now I just hope that I get my oath letter soon. ;)

NYC Naturalization Experiences

My interview on Wednesday went more than smoothly.

I was a bit concerned because I had to leave my gc sponsor shortly after I got my gc. (You can check out my past threads if you are interested in more details.) And the question about gc did come up. The IO carefully checked my green card, and asked how I obtained it. I told her through employment. She asked about what the company was, and what they did. I answered that as well. But she did NOT ask when or why I left. I don't know if it was because it has been 7 years since I got my gc (my old employment history simply wasn't shown on my N400), or she was impressed by the article samples ( my attorney submitted during my gc application) in my file.

Funny thing happened after that. From my writing samples about economic studies, she started to discuss with me about the current economy situation. The next thing I know, we chatted for about an hour, and she even invited me to visit her next week.

The civic test was done among our discussion. It was too easy if you'd spend a couple of hours to study the 96 questions (I did the old test), and can read and write simple sentences.

So my 2 cents here-
1. For those who got gc through employment, you are very likely to be asked questions regarding your sponsor company. So be prepared.

2. Bring tax records. The interview letter doesn't require it, but thanks to this board, I brought 5 years of records, and I.O. took 2 years.

3. Comb through all your immigration records if you are concerned, because they have everything - I mean EVERYTHING, in your file, that means all your immigration application/papers.

4. Have patience and have faith. Knowing that God took you through a long road of immigration and naturalization, to this very last stop for a reason. If you have been a good resident, obeying the laws, paying taxes, having clean records, the interview should be smooth sailing. From the day I applied my first visa, it's been more than 10 years, and I sat in the waiting room for 2 hours before I was called in, so patience is important to get you through. I prayed for meeting the "right" I.O., and believed that whomever God gave me would help me to move toward my goal. God gave me more than I could imagine.

So, be good, study the info from this board, bring all records, have faith. Wish everyone who's not there yet the very best luck! And thank you everyone who contributed great info and advices on this board!

Oath Date Finally!

11/21/2008

In the dreadful Brooklyn court :mad: I guess I'm in for the 5 hour ordeal. (as I've seen in a recent post in this thread it still takes 5 hours. I went to my wife's ceremony in 2000, what upsets me the most is that the actual ceremony takes ten minutes the processing takes the rest. lazy bastards :eek:

You're definitely in for the 5 hour ceremony. The oath itself is probably the most anticlimactic event during the whole naturalization process. However, once you have the certificate in your hands, you can rest easy, knowing that the whole ordeal is over. Congrats!

My update

Priority Date: 2-29-08 (St Albans, VT)
Fingerprint Date: 3-25-08 (Jamanica NY)
Interview Letter Recd: 10-23-08
Interview Date: 12-3-08 (Garden City) Passed
Oath Letter: Pending

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished my interview test at Garden City.
Just updated my signature....

According to my experience,
If you are a self-employee, I recommand you to go to IRS for applying tax record....

Congratulations!

You're correct about self-employment and tax transcripts. During my interview, I offered my tax transcripts to the IO. He said that usually thy only want to see those if the applicant is self-employed.

can anyone answer this if possible.....After you are approved how long is the wait time for oath.. say if you are in queue oath..are the times between fast or do they make you wait weeks in NYC? just as they made you wait for the IL..are things moving quick for oath?

It's been taking around a month or so after approval to get the OL.

It does not always seem to be that "fast." I had my interview on July 22, a pretty straightforward case, and I am still waiting for the OL. An inquiry through Senator Schumer's office in early October revealed that I am apparently in queue for the oath to be scheduled.

Is anyone else in a similar situation, i.e., in interview a while back at 26 Federal Plaza (or Garden City), in queue for oath and no OL yet?

It does not always seem to be that "fast." I had my interview on July 22, a pretty straightforward case, and I am still waiting for the OL. An inquiry through Senator Schumer's office in early October revealed that I am apparently in queue for the oath to be scheduled.

Is anyone else in a similar situation, i.e., in interview a while back at 26 Federal Plaza (or Garden City), in queue for oath and no OL yet?

I read your timeline. You got your interview pretty fast but seems like your still waiting for your oath letter..some people get oath in a week and i know these people.

Hmmm....since your case was straightforward, this is a rather unusual occurrence. I would suggest calling customer service and speaking with an IO. As I'm sure you already know, the law requires the USCIS to adjudicate your case and schedule your oath within 120 days of interview. Since the end of that timeframe is quickly approaching, you should definitely call them up and point this out to them.

I wonder what ever happened to nyc_newbie..he never came back to update us on his citation rejected application.

Hmmm....since your case was straightforward, this is a rather unusual occurrence. I would suggest calling customer service and speaking with an IO. As I'm sure you already know, the law requires the USCIS to adjudicate your case and schedule your oath within 120 days of interview. Since the end of that timeframe is quickly approaching, you should definitely call them up and point this out to them.

Thanks, Vorpal. Yes, I know about the 120 days, and that is also why I am starting to push things a bit. So far I have contacted the USCIS through one senator and my House Representative (back then I was trying to get the oath before the registration deadline for the election); that is how I found out about that my application is in queue for oath scheduling.

If I don't get anywhere within the next week or so, then calling them up directly is definitely one thing on my list.

Federal tax transcripts are available for only last 4 years. Is that enough? What about the missing 5th year (2003)? A copy can be obtained by paying $39 but takes a long time and not sure if it will be helpful because it is just a copy of the return which I already have. Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

I called them and they said the transcript for 2003 or earlier is not available. It's also not available via the auto phone ordering system.

Do you have a copy of the tax form you filed? You can use your own copy instead. You do not need to spend $$ for a copy from IRS.

oath question

hi folks,
i have a question regarding oath. in my letter they listed some five things which i have all. however, there is item six listed that reds "other". what does that mean, if anything? do i need anything else other than my green card and the letter? old employment authorization docs?
thanks!

Birth certificate, bills with your name and current address on them, photo ID, pay stubs, copies of your tax return...