New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

RE: Interview at USCIS Garden City, New York

Ok, guys. It's done. Finally. Everything went A-OK. I was approved and told to wait for an oath date.-

Ok, this place is located on a big avenue with a McDonalds right beside the buiding ( I suggest you eat and buy water before, because it might be very fast or it might take 3 hours, it depends), the parking lot is big enough, bring your car if you have one, you shouldn't have any problems finding a parking space, and if it is very cold, a car ride is suggested.)

Now, the full explanation and full advice on how to approach this date:

First of all, don't be nervous. I saw faces of people who were getting ready to be interviewed by Godzilla or some type of monsters. Be positive and be calm. DOn't worry about it, you are already there. That is what you waited for and nothing bad should happen.

Once you go inside the main room on the first flloor, have your interview letter stamped, get out and go up the second floor, before going up you will find a security guard who will only let in the person being interviewed, go up the stairs, find a small wood box where you must leave the interview letter which shall be picked up by whoever is in charge.

Now, comes the seating part, there were no seats available when I went right after lunch, there were people waiting before me and many others came after and not precisely from the stairs but rather from other places with lawyers. If you want to go the bathroom, you have to tell the security officer, write your name on a list, and go downstairs and scratch your name off the list when you come back up.

They will not let you be standing up, because you are in the middle of a room and on one side you have a wall and on the other side you have the offices of Interviewing Officers. There is a woman who seems to be a supervisor or may be higher who walks with a caine and makes sure everything is in order and seems to redirect and/or assign files. For example, a chinese fellow came in, and did not speak the language, the IO was asking for a chinese translator and there were none available, therefore he was told to wait outside. Later, an asian-american officer who spoke chinese appeared and took him to an office. And this was done with her intervention.

Ok. so you wait, you see people from different nationalities and also different USCIS officers from different backgrounds too who come to this room and call names of people, some people have already left and some are not there. Anyway, when your name is called, the officer takes you and:

1. Makes you swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth so help you God.

2. He explains to you that he is going to go over the application, as he/she goes over the application in detail, ask questions back and forth, you will be asked to provide documents or show documents, especially the passport if you have stayed outside the US. (Please, bring all your documents even if you have to bring your file cabinet. Be proactive and show your disposition to help the officer - this will help you.)

3. Then goes the exam with the 10 questions and 3 sentences you have to write and then you have to read a paragraph out loud.-

4. Then, the USCIS officer will tell you if you have been approved, denied or a decision cannot be made at this time, which shall be wriiten on USCIS paper.-

If you bring someone with you, there is mall across the parking lot, you have to cross the street, be careful there is traffic and let the person know that he/she might have to wait in different rooms. Also, there are signs that say "NO CELL PHONE IS PERMITTED" even though I saw people using it but for short periods of time (3 or 4 minutes).

Good luck and hope this post helps.-

Did she ask for some specific documents? Can you please list those

First, just wanted to provide an update that my application was approved after i submitted the documents. The IO's PC was down so he said i should receive a letter in the email for the oath. How long does this take typically?

Jim:
The required documents are listed in my post. Take as many of those that lists both of you. Whether you have Life insurance/medical insurance/dental insurance from your employer or your own, what matters is that they show coverage for each other and/or list each other as primary beneficiary.

Essentially think back to greencard interview and documents you carried then to prove you 2 are married and lived together over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
OL Received!

Received OL today in the mail, details see my signature.

BTW, I tried to add my dates to the Q1 Tracker, but it does not seem to exist anymore. Did I miss it?

Ok, guys. It's done. Finally. Everything went A-OK. I was approved and told to wait for an oath date.-

Good luck and hope this post helps.-

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is valuable for all of waiting in the line…

What was an overall person dressing? I'm business person and I wear suit everyday – so was thinking to wear suit to interview as well – but I see some are suggesting that dress in suit might be too much.

Have you see any people wearing suits?

Ok, this place is located on a big avenue with a McDonalds right beside the buiding ( I suggest you eat and buy water before, because it might be very fast or it might take 3 hours, it depends), the parking lot is big enough, bring your car if you have one, you shouldn't have any problems finding a parking space, and if it is very cold, a car ride is suggested.)

Rick92, how early have you entered building? This place is right across bus stations from shopping mall, correct?

Rick92, how early have you entered building? This place is right across bus stations from shopping mall, correct?

Yes, at the mall there were different buses and there were people waiting for them but I cannot say where they were coming from or going to.

Also, I entered 10 minutes before but nobody checked my interview letter.

Also, I saw people with ties but mostly people without them.

Transportation instructions to Interview in Garden City, NY

Transportation
DRIVING DIRECTIONS:​

The office is located in Nassau County, Long Island.

From Southern State Parkway:
Take Exit 22N for Meadowbrook Parkway North.
Take Meadowbrook Parkway to Stewart Avenue Exit.
Go straight on Stewart Avenue for about 1/4 mile.
The building is on your right hand side.

From Northern State Parkway to Meadowbrook Parkway North:
Take the exit for Stewart Avenue.
Go straight for about 1/4 mile.

From Brooklyn:
Take the Belt Parkway going east until it turns into Southern State Parkway. Keep straight on the Southern State Parkway until you see Exit 22N.

From Queens:
Take the Long Island Expressway going east straight to Exit 38.
You will be on the Meadowbrook Parkway.
Continue to Exit M3W.
Go straight to the light.
Make a right.
Keep straight on Stewart Avenue.

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION:

By Bus: Take the N22 Bus on Hillside Avenue in Queens to Roosevelt Field Mall and walk across the back to Stewart Avenue

By Bus: Take the N16, N17, N24, N45 or N51 bus to Stewart Avenue in Garden City. Going west, the Bus Stop is in front of building. Going east, the Bus Stop is at the building across Stewart Avenue.

By Subway: Take the E or F train to 169th Street and Hillside Avenue. Take Nassau County bus N22, N16, N17, N24, N45 or N51 to Stewart Avenue in Garden City.

By Long Island Railroad: Take the L.I.R.R. train to Hempstead, Long Island and then take Nassau County bus N16 or N35 at the Hempstead Bus Terminal to Stewart Avenue in Garden City.

Parking & Accessibility

PARKING:
There is public parking in the area of the office.

HANDICAP ACCESSIBILITY:
This office is handicapped accessible.

Service Area
This office serves the following counties: Kings, Nassau, Queens, and Suffolk counties.

Oath

Hi Guys,

I have a good news to share with. I got my oath letter today which is scheduled for Dec 11, 2008. Finally have the end in sight. Thanks for all the help.
----------------------------------------
VSC/NYC DO

11/19/2007 N-400 Applied
1/23/2008 Finger print
3/23/2008 Name check cleared
9/24/2008 Interview (Request more evidence):mad:
11/17/2008 2nd Interview (Approved). (Garden City)
11/26/2008 Oath letter Recieved
12/11/2008 Oath Scheduled date:)

Hi Guys,

I have a good news to share with. I got my oath letter today which is scheduled for Dec 11, 2008. Finally have the end in sight. Thanks for all the help.
----------------------------------------
VSC/NYC DO

11/19/2007 N-400 Applied
1/23/2008 Finger print
9/24/2008 Interview (Request more evidence):mad:
12/11/2008 Oath Scheduled date:)

!!!!! KoNGRAtULaTIOnS !!!!!

Where is your oath gonna take place ???

Last edited by a moderator:
!!!!! KoNGRAtULaTIOnS !!!!!

Where is your oath gonna take place ???

Thanks Rick. It is schedule in Brooklyn NY at Adams Street. Your timeline show we had the intereview same day. Your oath letter might be with USPS. Hang on buddy and Good Luck. You almost there.

Thanks Rick. It is schedule in Brooklyn NY at Adams Street. Your timeline show we had the intereview same day. Your oath letter might be with USPS. Hang on buddy and Good Luck. You almost there.

I hope you're right !!!​

Hi everyone,
I thought i would share my interview experience. Though i'm not bit happy with how it turned out but i think it may be helpful for others.
My appointment is at 10:50AM on 11/19 at the 26 Federal plaza. Got in the building around 10AM, dropped the letter at window 52 in room 700 around 10:15AM. The room is full of people who waited 2 hours or more for their interview.
After handing in the letter you will get a form where you indicate if you want the new test or the old test.

I got called in at 12:45PM, do the standard oath thing. Officer went through the history questions. I wrote a sentence, read a paragraph, etc. Nothing is difficult there. Most of the questions are real easy.

Officer went through the N400 form, question by question. He gave me the pictures back for me to sign my new name.

Everything went fine until he asked to see all the bills, bank statements, etc. Keep in mind that I applied based on 3 year marriage to USC.

Ask if i have life insurance. I don't.
Ask if i have health insurance. I don't
Ask to see other stuff. I showed him ConEd, Cable bill, TV bill, rent leases...dating back to the past 8 years.

He said he only wanted to see the last 3 years and i need to give him copies of 3 months of each year for the past 3 years.
He didn't even want to see my tax transcript (i included 3 years when i filed).

Here comes the problem. For the bank statement, I only have from 2005 backward because i use Estatement for the past 3 years and didn't think to print it out. If i remember, I don't think I would be able to print out the statements from the website for the past 3 years.

So he took my file to talk to some senior people. 10 minutes went by and he back saying that I will need to come back with more documents.

He said that he only needs the letter from the bank saying i have a joint account from xxxx to now. I told him I can get the letter from the bank across the street in 5 minutes. I asked if he can let me come back later in the day to submit it. He said no and give me an appointment letter for 1/12/09. it's 7 weeks later.

I'm disappointed but I think it's my fault. I should have just bought the life insurance and get the bank letter prior the interview. I think the NYC office is very strict with the 3 year case now in a sense that they want to see life insurance, health insurance no matter how young you are. If you are married at 20, then you need to buy life insurance for your wife as well. That's just my take.

So after I left the building, it took me 5 minutes to get the bank letter. I wish they let me back in to hand in the letter.

I'm buying the life insurance just for safety now. I couldn't get the letter from credit card company that my wife and I have a joint account since xxxx. Anyone know how i can get one? It's American Express.

Hi everyone,
I thought i would share my interview experience. Though i'm not bit happy with how it turned out but i think it may be helpful for others.
My appointment is at 10:50AM on 11/19 at the 26 Federal plaza. Got in the building around 10AM, dropped the letter at window 52 in room 700 around 10:15AM. The room is full of people who waited 2 hours or more for their interview.
After handing in the letter you will get a form where you indicate if you want the new test or the old test.

I got called in at 12:45PM, do the standard oath thing. Officer went through the history questions. I wrote a sentence, read a paragraph, etc. Nothing is difficult there. Most of the questions are real easy.

Officer went through the N400 form, question by question. He gave me the pictures back for me to sign my new name.

Everything went fine until he asked to see all the bills, bank statements, etc. Keep in mind that I applied based on 3 year marriage to USC.

Ask if i have life insurance. I don't.
Ask if i have health insurance. I don't
Ask to see other stuff. I showed him ConEd, Cable bill, TV bill, rent leases...dating back to the past 8 years.

He said he only wanted to see the last 3 years and i need to give him copies of 3 months of each year for the past 3 years.
He didn't even want to see my tax transcript (i included 3 years when i filed).

Here comes the problem. For the bank statement, I only have from 2005 backward because i use Estatement for the past 3 years and didn't think to print it out. If i remember, I don't think I would be able to print out the statements from the website for the past 3 years.

So he took my file to talk to some senior people. 10 minutes went by and he back saying that I will need to come back with more documents.

He said that he only needs the letter from the bank saying i have a joint account from xxxx to now. I told him I can get the letter from the bank across the street in 5 minutes. I asked if he can let me come back later in the day to submit it. He said no and give me an appointment letter for 1/12/09. it's 7 weeks later.

I'm disappointed but I think it's my fault. I should have just bought the life insurance and get the bank letter prior the interview. I think the NYC office is very strict with the 3 year case now in a sense that they want to see life insurance, health insurance no matter how young you are. If you are married at 20, then you need to buy life insurance for your wife as well. That's just my take.

So after I left the building, it took me 5 minutes to get the bank letter. I wish they let me back in to hand in the letter.

I'm buying the life insurance just for safety now. I couldn't get the letter from credit card company that my wife and I have a joint account since xxxx. Anyone know how i can get one? It's American Express.

Hi baraider

I am sorry that you did not get the approval . It is really insane that NYC office is doing this more often now. I went through same drill couple of months ago and fianlly got approved in the 2nd interview recently. In my case I had the bank letter/statements and other proofs but the officer was keep asking more and more (In the first interview). I think now it is like a standard procedure, not to approve the applicant in the first interview in three years marriage cases. Adding two more months for nothing is just ridiculous.
Try to get as many proof as you can and Don't rely on just the bank statements. Remember in the 2nd interview there is good possiblity that another IO might conduct the interview.(It was my case) and he may ask something else.
Regarding the credit cards, I have two credit card shared with my wife (CHASE & DISCOVER) and had no problem getting the letter from them regarding shared account. Just call AMEX and talk to supervisor.I sure they can provide you this letter without a hitch. Good luck
-----------------------
VSC/NYC DO

11/19/2007 N-400 Applied
1/23/2008 Finger print
9/24/2008 Interview (Request more evidence)
12/11/2008 Oath Scheduled date

I won't take life insurance too seriously for now. It's nice to have had it already, but there is nothing you can do to fix if you don't (see below). You may want to bring the 401K/IRA beneficiary documents to the next interview. That would help. Bank and credit card statements and utility bills are always a must. I've never worked in the financial sector, but I am pretty sure AE should be able to help you get the statements of previous years. Maybe you just did not press the service representative hard enough.

I was wondering if it will be helpful to your case AT ALL if you purchase life insurance now. If you do, IO would know you are doing it intentionally for passing the interview. What the IO really wants to see from the policy is when you bought the life insurance and when you designated your spouse as the beneficiary before the interview. Of couse, the period would be the longer the better. A policy of one month won't help your case, and you might end up with wasting money.