New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

I have been getting my letters from NYC DO within 1-2 business days.
I still can't believe I haven't received their mail yet. They sent it out on the 18th and I still don't have it a week later.
I have the infopass this friday so I'll try to get a copy of the letter or talk to the supervisor to look at my file.

Any suggestions on what additional documents they may ask?
My case is 3 year based and the IO didn't ask for my child birth certificate.
I submitted banks statements, credit cards, leases, etc...

I plan to bring anything that I can think of during this friday infopass and if they can show me the copy of the letter they sent me, HOPEFULLY i have something to give them right away.

Any idea what they could ask?

Interview experience at Fed Plaza today

My interview today was in the afternoon and I arrived about 40 minutes early and went up to the 7th floor. I was directed to window 52 where my I-797C (interview letter) was taken and I was given two pieces of paper - the first described that they are running behind and it will take a while, so sit and relax. The second asked me to choose between the new & old tests. I was asked to have a seat.

My name was called 50 minutes after my appointment time and I was directed to “Door 2.” The IO was polite and led me back to his office. He was a straightforward, no-nonsense young black guy. I made a joke about his being one of the few people to pronounce my name correctly but he didn't respond. He asked me take the oath to speak the truth. He asked for my GC and made some entries into his computer. He had my inch-thick file in front of him. He said, "So you're requesting citizenship based on marriage. What documents did you bring to support your case?"

I said that I have a few and started with the marriage certificate. Then I gave him my tax transcripts from the last three years that we had filed jointly. I had also brought copies of the tax returns but he said they weren't necessary. I then gave him leases from 2003 onwards with both our names on all the leases. I had copies of every document and kept handing the copies which he would then two-hole punch and add to my file. For some reason, he read one of the leases for a long time.

Then I furnished our life insurance documents, health insurance documents, insurance EOBs (explanation of benefits) back to 2006, the IRA beneficiary statement from each of us, joint bank statements for last several years, letters from the banks saying when we opened the account and that they were joint, car title showing joint ownership. After each set of documents, he would take the copies and add them to the file, and then say "what else do you have?" He asked why the EOBs only dated back to 2006. I said that's because that health plan started in Nov 2005 and was not used until 2006. He nodded his head and said "That makes sense."

Then he asked "what else did you bring?" and chuckled, and I said "We can keep going for a while." So I furnish credit card account statements over the last 3 years, insurance statements in both our names, and bills. Then I said “that’s it.”

Then I ask if he'd like to see my wife's birth certificate, and show it to him. He asks for the original and then compares the copy against the original, keeps the copy and returns the original. I ask him if he'd like copies of my wife's US passport pages and at first he says no but then says "If you have them." I give them the copies.

Documents that I had but he did not ask for: my birth certificate, our social security cards, I-130, expired passport, her voter registration card, cancelled checkbooks from last 3 years.

I give him an updated sheet with my travel history. He files it and then asks if I brought copies of -all- pages of my passport. I said "No, I'm sorry I did not bring copies of all pages." He takes the passport to presumably copy all the pages.

Then we finally start with the N-400. He basically asks me to respond to every question. I answer each one truthfully and so far that is the easy way through the application. At the question "have you ever been cited, arrested..." I stop him and disclose that I had two traffic tickets. I furnish proof of payment for both. One was for equipment malfunction (speedometer) and the other for an expired vehicle inspection certificate (which was reduced to the NY state surcharge). He points out that the latter did not have the judge's signature. I say "That's what they gave me. It says 'paid in full' and I can only give you what they give me. Please note that the fine amount shows zero because it was dismissed but I was asked to pay the surcharge." He asks me for the dates of the occurrences and I tell him. I explain that I brought these up because I wish to be truthful and forthcoming. He says that he is glad I did and that "we will know if you were ever arrested & fingerprinted." And I said that I never was arrested. At this point he gets up to make copies of these documents and says something about having to discuss with the supervisor about any "run-in with the law" because they could pertain to GMC. I say “but these are minor traffic tickets!" and he said not to worry about it. He said he did not believe that the tickets would affect my application. I think that disclosing any "run in" with the law requires them to do a check. However, I felt it important that I did not lie because he specifically asked if I had received any citations. I'm with JohnnyCash on this one.

I went through the tests, got all the answers correct and signed the two sheets that said I passed the tests.

He asked to verify the information on piece of paper that said something about "oath preparation." Then he said that we're done. I asked him what the decision is and he said that I'll get it in the mail. He said that he could not give me the letter because it has to be printed before 4 p.m. and it was 4:10 p.m. I asked him how long before I can expect to see the decision in the mail and he said 30 days but likely sooner. I asked him if he could give any indication about how things went and he said that he was going to review my application and then make a decision (possibly he did not have the authority to make the decision - possibly due to the traffic ticket disclosures). The interview took almost an hour.

The IO said that he was very impressed with my "meticulous" preparation and everything looks good. He said that he has never seen anyone without a lawyer be so prepared (thanks to this forum). He said that I even had documents that he would not think of requesting. I had organized my documents around the themes of supporting answers to the IO questions so that I could pull them out efficiently, and had copies handy for anything that he wanted to keep. It took me a couple of days to put it all together with the idea that a few days now would save weeks or months later.

I was a bit disappointed to not get an immediate decision but it's not surprising due to NYC DO & the traffic tickets disclosure. The IO thanked me for making his job easier with my extensive preparation. I left his office and went out to the main waiting area and then realized that I had another document showing a dismissed ticket. I went to a counter and asked for the IO. He showed up and I said "I'm sorry but I forgot to drop this off earlier." He looked at it and started to discuss the ticket and then immediately realized that it was dismissed. I said that I wanted him to have it in case it "shows up on his system." He said “Thanks very much. Take care and have a great day. Please have a safe trip home.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow..the IO didn't hand you the required interview results letter as it was too late to print out?? I'm sure a talk with his supervisor would have resolved that as you basically have no proof that you took interview. This junior IO seemed to focus on the minor items (signature of judge on traffic ticket that says paid, EOB date of effect) when you already provided more than enough evidence to prove your case. Most likely this was a tactic he used to see if there was anything you were hiding.

Good job detailing your interview and good luck on receiving the oath letter.

Wow..the IO didn't hand you the required interview results letter as it was too late to print out?? I'm sure a talk with his supervisor would have resolved that as you basically have no proof that you took interview. This junior IO seemed to focus on the minor items (signature of judge on traffic ticket that says paid, EOB date of effect) when you already provided more than enough evidence to prove your case. Most likely this was a tactic he used to see if there was anything you were hiding.

Good job detailing your interview and good luck on receiving the oath letter.

Thanks.

Sorry I didn't mean to say that he did not give me the interview results letter. He did give me the required interview results letter (N-652) that said that I passed the tests and USCIS will send a written decision. Perhaps he was referring to the oath letter regarding the 4 p.m. deadline? I don't know.

Thanks.

Sorry I didn't mean to say that he did not give me the interview results letter. He did give me the required interview results letter (N-652) that said that I passed the tests and USCIS will send a written decision. Perhaps he was referring to the oath letter regarding the 4 p.m. deadline? I don't know.
Does your interview letter say "Congratulations, you have been recommended for approval" or "a decision cannot be made?"

Does your interview letter say "Congratulations, you have been recommended for approval" or "a decision cannot be made?"

Neither is checked. However, all items under "Decision cannot be made" are checked:
- Notify USCIS if you change your address
- Come to any scheduled interview
- Submit all the requested documents (none requested)
- Send any questions in writing to the official named above.
- Go to any Oath Ceremony that you are scheduled to attend.
- Notify USCIS as soon as possible if you cannot come to any scheduled interview or Oath Ceremony.

He said that he was going to "review all the documents" before making a decision. I don't know why seeing them once was not sufficient to make a recommendation for approval. To me it seemed like he had all the information he needed. He didn't want to say but he thought it looked good.

I don't understand then why he couldn't have recommended for approval. It says right on the document that there will still be a final approval step.

I'm going to try and not worry about it. I believe that I did everything that I possibly could.

Skifiend-- you most certainly did everything you could,,

WOW just reading your interview I got stressed out your IO is a real stick in the mud your case should have passed with flying colors ( you had many documents to prove it ), I have read so many other cases where people don't even take bare minimum paperwork and pass without much hassle.

I am sure you will get your oath letter soon. :)

Thanks.

Skifiend,

do not worry too much. i believe you will make it. just keep your cool and relax and wait patiently for your oath letter. as at now i believe he is only going to meet his boss for the final approval, hence the statement that it is after 4pm. all the best pal:):):)

Neither is checked. However, all items under "Decision cannot be made" are checked:
- Notify USCIS if you change your address
- Come to any scheduled interview
- Submit all the requested documents (none requested)
- Send any questions in writing to the official named above.
- Go to any Oath Ceremony that you are scheduled to attend.
- Notify USCIS as soon as possible if you cannot come to any scheduled interview or Oath Ceremony.

He said that he was going to "review all the documents" before making a decision. I don't know why seeing them once was not sufficient to make a recommendation for approval. To me it seemed like he had all the information he needed. He didn't want to say but he thought it looked good.

I don't understand then why he couldn't have recommended for approval. It says right on the document that there will still be a final approval step.

I'm going to try and not worry about it. I believe that I did everything that I possibly could.

Sounds like IO forgot to check off "A decision can't be made". since most likely he needed his senior IO to revise all the facts an approve. Your IO doesn't have the authority to approve it and didn't admit to that fact. This again leads me to be believe he has new/junior since he went to his supervisor regarding a paid minor traffic ticket.

Good news !!!!

Went for the 8:30AM infopass today. The IO looked at the computer system and told me that on 3/18 (2 days ago), they mailed out a letter asking for additional documents. My guess is that they want to get a copy of my child birth certificate.
During the interview, I asked my IO if he wants the birth certificate and he told me NO.
I should get the letter today or Monday and would push for another infopass next Friday. It does look like they actually LOOKED at my file somewhere between March 12 and March 18 because they responded to my service request on March 12.

Not sure how much but the service request and the letters I mailed out seems to move the case a bit. Had I not done this, I'm sure my file is still gathering dust in the file room. It speaks volume about the imcompetence the USCIS is.

I can feel that the end is not far now. Seeing everyone in the 7th floor waiting for their oath ceremony just made it worse.

P.S: While waiting on line, I talked to a guy who got his oath today. His interview was May 2008.!!!!
He told me because he stayed outside of the country for a long time.

I finally got some good news to report :)
I went for my 8am infopass today to find out why I still haven't "the letter" that they told me they mailed on the 18th during my last infopass.
I brought all the documents I can get, hoping to talk to a supervisor so he can look at my file and tell me what is missing so I can give him.

The IO took my A#, look up in the computer and told me MY CASE WAS APPROVED YESTERDAY (3/26/09)

He gave me a letter saying my case was approved on 3/26, put his name on it and stamped it. He told me to wait for the oath letter.

So I never found out the mysterious letter. Maybe they didn't send anything and just making up stuff. Knowing USCIS, I won't rest until i'm done with the oath.

P.S: There is no oath ceremony today as I saw every friday at room 700. I think they don't do oath on the last friday of the month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like IO forgot to check off "A decision can't be made". since most likely he needed his senior IO to revise all the facts an approve. Your IO doesn't have the authority to approve it and didn't admit to that fact. This again leads me to be believe he has new/junior since he went to his supervisor regarding a paid minor traffic ticket.

Agree with the above. Thanks everyone (Bobsmyth, hoping in 2009, funky brother) for your thoughts and support.

I finally got some good news to report :)
I went for my 8am infopass today to find out why I still haven't "the letter" that they told me they mailed on the 18th during my last infopass.
I brought all the documents I can get, hoping to talk to a supervisor so he can look at my file and tell me what is missing so I can give him.

The IO took my A#, look up in the computer and told me MY CASE WAS APPROVED YESTERDAY (3/26/09)

He gave me a letter saying my case was approved on 3/26, put his name on it and stamped it. He told me to wait for the oath letter.

So I never found out the mysterious letter. Maybe they didn't send anything and just making up stuff. Knowing USCIS, I won't rest until i'm done with the oath.

P.S: There is no oath ceremony today as I saw every friday at room 700. I think they don't do oath on the last friday of the month.

Baraider,

A hearthy congralations. at long last, the journey is almost over. i am happy for you. all the best on the oath letter. i have a feeling that you will receive the letter next week. most probably Monday or Tuesday. Keep watch.:):):)

Baraider,

A hearthy congralations. at long last, the journey is almost over. i am happy for you. all the best on the oath letter. i have a feeling that you will receive the letter next week. most probably Monday or Tuesday. Keep watch.:):):)
Thanks. It's not over until it's over.
Can you tell me when did you get approved? Can you call to find out the exact date so people can get some idea of approval-oath in NYC.

Congratulations baraider, dealing with the USCIS can be very distressing as it seems that their rules and regulations are arbitrary and erratic. Did they gave you a reason why your case was delayed so long?