New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Signature Update & Passport Comments

Just got my passport yesterday. Very happy. Just one concern: When they digitalize the picture, the photo comes out discolored on the forehead and cheeks.-

I wonder if this is a security feature. Or is it a technical glitch? :D

I agree with your decision.- :)
Went for the 8:30AM infopass today. The IO looked at the computer system and told me that on 3/18 (2 days ago), they mailed out a letter asking for additional documents. My guess is that they want to get a copy of my child birth certificate.
During the interview, I asked my IO if he wants the birth certificate and he told me NO.
I should get the letter today or Monday and would push for another infopass next Friday. It does look like they actually LOOKED at my file somewhere between March 12 and March 18 because they responded to my service request on March 12.

Not sure how much but the service request and the letters I mailed out seems to move the case a bit. Had I not done this, I'm sure my file is still gathering dust in the file room. It speaks volume about the imcompetence the USCIS is.

I can feel that the end is not far now. Seeing everyone in the 7th floor waiting for their oath ceremony just made it worse.

P.S: While waiting on line, I talked to a guy who got his oath today. His interview was May 2008.!!!!
He told me because he stayed outside of the country for a long time.

My wife finally received her oath letter last night; she was interviewed 03/02/2009 and her swearing in will be 04/01/2009 at Cadman Plaza at 8:30AM.

Does anyone here knows where she can apply for and receive a same day passport (in the tri-state area) without having to show proof of an emergency? She is eager to receive her passport but she doesn't have a valid travel emergency etc. justifying same day processing and receipt. I read that in some cities (for e.g. New Orleans) applicants usually receive their passport on the same day even when there is no emergency.

if she has no need for emergency travel, then just apply and you should get it in 7-10 days.
Congrats on the oath.

My wife finally received her oath letter last night; she was interviewed 03/02/2009 and her swearing in will be 04/01/2009 at Cadman Plaza at 8:30AM.

Does anyone here knows where she can apply for and receive a same day passport (in the tri-state area) without having to show proof of an emergency? She is eager to receive her passport but she doesn't have a valid travel emergency etc. justifying same day processing and receipt. I read that in some cities (for e.g. New Orleans) applicants usually receive their passport on the same day even when there is no emergency.

If there is no emergency/urgency to travel, it would be just a complete waste of money and efforts to get a passport on the same day. Otherwise, it's taking at least 19-21 days to receive a passport now in NYC area with a normal processing. A very few people are able to get passport in two weeks in NYC area.

If your wife still chooses to get a passport on the same day then she MUST need to make an appointment NOW with US passport office for the date she will like to have her passport. I assume she wants to get the passport on the same day when she would become a US citizen or probably next day or so. Since there is still enough time for her to be naturalized then I'm sure she will be able to get an appointment with the passport office for the day she will be naturalized or whenever she wants afterwards so that she could get her passport on that very same day.

However, if (somehow) she doesn't get an appointment with passport office in NYC because of non-availability of dates then she can try to get an appointment with the passport office either in CT or in PA. Most people go to passport office in CT or PA alternatively once they are unable to get appointment in NYC passport office. The office in CT is close-by and efficient in processing the application. Plus, not too many people in there as well.

Your wife must do/need following as well-

(1) 2 colored photographs

(2) A travel itinerary to prove an emergency travel, which can easily be obtained by buying an airline ticket online. You should buy totally refundable ticket so that you can get a full refund once you cancel it up. So, buy the ticket online and cancel it right after obtaining the passport. Make sure to buy 100% refundable ticket without any penalty. First class/business class tickets are totally refundable without any penalty but it does cost 6-7 times than an ecomony/coach ticket. Call the airline first to make sure which tickets are 100 refundable without any penalty. Once you cancel the ticket, you will get refund back in your credit card within 3-5 business day but at least you are not losing any money. Plus, you are able to get a passport with this trick. Without a travel itinerary one cannot get a US passport on the same day.

(3) Ready to pay extra $$$ as well.

Good luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: Passport

I think that if you can wait 5/6 business days from April 1st, just go and pay expedited processing for $160 and the passport will arrive April 10th or April 11th. I mean... I am not trying to impose but that was my case.- :)

If there is no emergency/urgency to travel, it would be just a complete waste of money and efforts to get a passport on the same day. Otherwise, it's taking at least 19-21 days to receive a passport now in NYC area with a normal processing. A very few people are able to get passport in two weeks in NYC area.

If your wife still chooses to get a passport on the same day then she MUST need to make an appointment NOW with US passport office for the date she will like to have her passport. I assume she wants to get the passport on the same day when she would become a US citizen or probably next day or so. Since there is still enough time for her to be naturalized then I'm sure she will be able to get an appointment with the passport office for the day she will be naturalized or whenever she wants afterwards so that she could get her passport on that very same day.

However, if (somehow) she doesn't get an appointment with passport office in NYC because of non-availability of dates then she can try to get an appointment with the passport office either in CT or in PA. Most people go to passport office in CT or PA alternatively once they are unable to get appointment in NYC passport office. The office in CT is close-by and efficient in processing the application. Plus, not too many people in there as well.

Your wife must do/need following as well-

(1) 2 colored photographs

(2) A travel itinerary to prove an emergency travel, which can easily be obtained by buying an airline ticket online. You should buy totally refundable ticket so that you can get a full refund once you cancel it up. So, buy the ticket online and cancel it right after obtaining the passport. Make sure to buy 100% refundable ticket without any penalty. First class/business class tickets are totally refundable without any penalty but it does cost 6-7 times than an ecomony/coach ticket. Call the airline first to make sure which tickets are 100 refundable without any penalty. Once you cancel the ticket, you will get refund back in your credit card within 3-5 business day but at least you are not losing any money. Plus, you are able to get a passport with this trick. Without a travel itinerary one cannot get a US passport on the same day.

(3) Ready to pay extra $$$ as well.

Good luck...

It's a lot of hassle if you don't need the passport to travel, why bother?:confused:

It's a lot of hassle if you don't need the passport to travel, why bother?:confused:

Yes, it's a lot of hassle along with waste of money which I did say it, but if someone desires to have the passport on the SAME day then they should know about all this hassle.

Went for the 8:30AM infopass today. The IO looked at the computer system and told me that on 3/18 (2 days ago), they mailed out a letter asking for additional documents. My guess is that they want to get a copy of my child birth certificate.
During the interview, I asked my IO if he wants the birth certificate and he told me NO.
I should get the letter today or Monday and would push for another infopass next Friday. It does look like they actually LOOKED at my file somewhere between March 12 and March 18 because they responded to my service request on March 12.

Not sure how much but the service request and the letters I mailed out seems to move the case a bit. Had I not done this, I'm sure my file is still gathering dust in the file room. It speaks volume about the imcompetence the USCIS is.

I can feel that the end is not far now. Seeing everyone in the 7th floor waiting for their oath ceremony just made it worse.

P.S: While waiting on line, I talked to a guy who got his oath today. His interview was May 2008.!!!!
He told me because he stayed outside of the country for a long time.
Received the letter from my congressman today saying he emailed DHS NYC after he received my letter to him. He will contact me when DHS responses.

Still haven't got my letter from NYC DO asking for additional document. They told me they mailed it out on the 18. How long does it take to get to another borough?

I have been getting my letters from NYC DO within 1-2 business days.

Received the letter from my congressman today saying he emailed DHS NYC after he received my letter to him. He will contact me when DHS responses.

Still haven't got my letter from NYC DO asking for additional document. They told me they mailed it out on the 18. How long does it take to get to another borough?

Thanks for the suggestions, after all I will not go through the hassle for her to get it. Silly me, who thought that some cities offered same day, non-emergency passports.

My wife got her passport next day at the NY passport agency.
However, it wasn't her first passport, she just had to change her last name into mine because we were flying to Europe in a few days and her ticket was in her new name.
She had to wait over 5 hours in line since it was May07 and everybody was applying for a passport because of new regulations.

Interview at Fed Plaza next week

Dear NYC members,

My interview is next week at Fed Plaza.

How likely it is to get the oath letter on the same day of interview?

Is it norm for Fed Plaza to give Oath letter on the same day of interview?

Thanks a lot for the input.

Dear NYC members,

My interview is next week at Fed Plaza.

How likely it is to get the oath letter on the same day of interview?

Is it norm for Fed Plaza to give Oath letter on the same day of interview?

Thanks a lot for the input.

No direct experience; but here's what I read on this forum:

If you are interviewed in morning, and if the officer approves your case (no pending checks or documents), then you may get oath letter the same day. Otherwise, they'll mail you separately.

BTW, what does your online status say currently? "Invalid number...." or still "case received...?" Just curious. Thanks.

..my online status still shows case received (the same msg that i got when CIS received my application).

Thanks. Good luck with your interview; and please keep us updated.

My N-400 is queued for interview on 01/30/2009 and as of today it's with NBC. Hopefully, in a month or so, I might also get an IL.

Hello Jigesh

My time lines are some as you give or take one week. How do you know that your interview is queued ?
Thanks
Venkat

My time lines are some as you give or take one week. How do you know that your interview is queued ?
Thanks
Venkat

sh1996 also has similar timeline - so if you also belong to NYC district office, all three of us should keep each other (via this forum) updated.

Typically, one to two week(s) after the fingerprint, the case is put in a queue. I have two alien numbers, so I called and inquired about - got no useful info about it, but they told me date my case was put in the queue. This date doesn't have too much significance though since they don't necessarily wait for name-checks, etc., so one can't conclude with 100% confidence that "since the case is in queue, name check is clear."

By the way, would you mind creating a signature with your time-line and district office information for others to have some idea? Thanks.

This date doesn't have too much significance though since they don't necessarily wait for name-checks, etc., so one can't conclude with 100% confidence that "since the case is in queue, name check is clear."

True, can't be 100% sure about anything USCIS does, but I think one can conclude with 95% confidence that being placed in queue means the name check is clear. :)

Here are my details
NYC
01/07/09--PD
01/28/09--ND
02/10/09--FP Done
03/13/09-- CFR Notice received

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Good luck with your interview; and please keep us updated.

My N-400 is queued for interview on 01/30/2009 and as of today it's with NBC. Hopefully, in a month or so, I might also get an IL.

jigesh...thanks for your wishes. Will update on Tuesday 3/31 after the interview. Thanks to the forum members for their guidance in the process.