Name change during naturalization is causing problem with OCI processing

This is not true from my experience. My wife wanted to change her lastname to mine (XYZ). They officer came out looking for me to get copy of marriage certificate (Made in India).
came back to this thread due to a different trigger and noticed this response and would like to clarify so that it will benefit others.

If your green card was based on AOS from marriage, they should already have a copy of your marriage certificate in your file (in the officers hands)..and at citizenship process you can change your name to anything of your choice...having said that here is our experience..

. I got my citizenhip in Nov 2008 @ Fairax, VA and changed name(all first, middle and last), had to go to court for oath process. Used the court order for OCI and it was approved without any issues.
. My Sister got her citizenship in Dec 2009 at Newark, NJ and changed her last name to her husbands( was not asked for the marriage certificate)..got a court order for the name change..has not applied for OCI yet
. My wife got her N-400 approved and requested for a name change at Fairfax, VA was not offered a same day oath as she has to go to the court to take oath and complete the process. Also, she was not asked for marriage certificate

Notary for Name Change affidavit

In the Name Change affidavit application... all it has old and new names and two witness. There is no place to sign.

My understanding is for notary they need a place for me to sign so they can notarise.

Any thoughts..

Middle Name was droped during Citizenship causeing problems for OCI

On my Canadian passport I have my first name and last name. And on my Indian passport I have first name, last name and middle name. Recently I applied for OCI and they asked for change of name certificate for from Canadian authorities. I inquired with Canadian authorities and they said that your legal name in Canada is your First and Last name so they couldn’t give me certificate for the dropped middle name. Now what should I do?

On my Canadian passport I have my first name and last name.
------what name you write when applied for Candian Passport? did you wrote middle name? And on my Indian passport I have first name, last name and middle name. Recently I applied for OCI and they asked for change of name certificate for from Canadian authorities. I inquired with Canadian authorities and they said that your legal name in Canada is your First and Last name so they couldn’t give me certificate for the dropped middle name. Now what should I do?
------------------what is your name on Canadian citizenship certificate? what is your name on landing documents ? if your name is incorrect or missing info you can get it corrected on your Canadian passport.
------------

On my
Canadian Citizenship Card and Passport: First Name and Last Name
LandingPaper: First Name Middle Name Last Name
Indian Passport: First Name Middle Name Last Name

On my
Canadian Citizenship Card and Passport: First Name and Last Name

-------Why the Canadian Citizenship Card and Passport have only First and Last name? did you write only first and last name on application when applied Canadian Citizenship?
LandingPaper: First Name Middle Name Last Name
Indian Passport: First Name Middle Name Last Name
------ your Landing paper, Indian passport, PR card, SIN, Health Card,Canadian Citizenship Card, Canadian passport should be with same name. It seems to me that you wrote your First and Last name on Citizenship application and once got approved you applied for the passport and on passport application wrote the First and last name only.

Canada Passport application asks for SURNAME, Given Name(full name). If you name is Dharmedra Singh Deol then you were supposed to write Surname as:Deol. Given name as:Dharmendra Singh on the citizenship application and on passport application.

Here is Link to passport application:
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc153.pdf

I understand that I was supposed to write First Name Middle Name Last Name on my citizenship and both passport, but it is too late for it now. Now I could change the name on my Canadian passport cause on my health card and drivers license I have all three names so I could reapply for the passport and get the same name as my Indian passport. Now my question is that would the Indian consulate people care if my name is different on citizenship card then my Indian passport & Canadian passport.

I understand that I was supposed to write First Name Middle Name Last Name on my citizenship and both passport, but it is too late for it now.
Now I could change the name on my Canadian passport cause on my health card and drivers license I have all three names so I could reapply for the passport and get the same name as my Indian passport.

Now my question is that would the Indian consulate people care if my name is different on citizenship card then my Indian passport & Canadian passport.
------ Indian consulate dont ask for your Canada citizenship card with OCI application. They need the same name on Canadian passport and Indian passport.

------------------------

But they ask for citizenship certificate.... sry i ment citizenship certificate not card

Those who are Indian passport holder and get Green Card and later get naturalization (US citizenship) don’t have to provide US naturalization certificate to Indian consulate when apply for OCI. US naturalization certificate is only needed to apply for US passport. Once a person gets US passport then he/she sends Copy of Indian passport and copy of US passport with OCI application and Indian consulate does not ask for US naturalization certificate because they know that if one has US passport and applying for OCI then the person has the US citizenship or naturalization certificate.
I don’t know what is required for Canadian passport holders. You can check the Consulate site or MHA site for OCI requirement.

From what I have read/heard, during US citizenship process, you can revert to your name as it was in your Indian Passport (without any questions asked). If you do that, obviously there won't be any issues when you apply for OCI.

akgarg,

Thanks for the response. I prefer to keep my real FIRST NAME. But if it is too much of hassle, then I don't mind to change it.

But will Indian embassy will really cause any issues for granting the OCI card?

Thanks,

Name Order Change

Hi members

I saw many posts regarding name changes.. I have a slightly different issue the order of my name changed in US Documents.

Indian Passport: Surname - Given Name - Last Name
US Passport: Given Name - surname - Last Name.

Is this considered a name change? we didnt treat it as such in the US papers and were not questioned about it throughout the process...

Thanks

Surname == last name. In your US passport whatever is under the Surname is the last name. Given name would be the first and middle. So you effectively changed the last name.. From what you wrote you do not have a name change court order right? Not sure how the indian consulate would treat it. To keep it simple, on the OCI form use the US passport format.

Surname == last name. In your US passport whatever is under the Surname is the last name. Given name would be the first and middle. So you effectively changed the last name.. From what you wrote you do not have a name change court order right? Not sure how the indian consulate would treat it. To keep it simple, on the OCI form use the US passport format.

Apologies, to make it clear here is my example:

Indian Passport: Krishna Ravi Kumar
US Passport: Ravi Krishna Kumar

So the last name has not changed, just the order of first two names.

Thanks

I got an email from the Consulate saying that my US passport which just has a first and last name, does not match with my Indian passport which included my father name as my "middle" name. Now they are telling me that I need a US court order. Does anyone have any experience in these matters. Thanks.

hi hparul,

I guess i am in the same situation as yours I have my fathers name in the "given name" section of my indian passport. My us passport and GC, visa all papers have my first and last name ( as per indian passport this appear in surname section). Can you please tell me how did you resolve this problem with CGI. Would appreciate much.

Name confusion between US passport and indian passport

hi Sing_y,

It would be of great help if you could tell me the process you went through to get around this problem.

Hi Can some one help me please

my INDIAN passport surname = XXXXX YYYYY ( which is equivalent to first and last name I alway went by this name my visa,gc and citizenship)
givenname = ZZZZ

my US passport has surname = XXXXX
givenname = YYYYY

I applied for OCI , consulate sent back my papers stating there is a mismatch in the names ,ow the consulate is asking me go through name change process ( this has their standard affidavit stating old name and new names ). I need to publish this in US news paper too. I can do this in INDIAN paper makes sense to me. But how do i publish this in US news paper where technically in US there has been no change at all.

please can someone share his similar experience or help me show some pointers

I am applying for OCI shortly. My name has 4 parts and I alawys used 3 parts as First, Middle and Last name in US. During Naturalization, the IO pulled my birth certificate and asked what that mising part was. I told him, that in US we can only use 3 parts for a name. He put the 4 th missing part into N400 application and did the processing. I opted for a name change to make it to 3 parts. SO I got a name change court order that list my name in 4 parts as the original and the 3 part name as changed.

I am now going in for OCI. I hope that there should be no problem., but I realize that it was just a stroke of luck that the guy put the missing part in there, as otherwise the OCI process would have been so much more difficult. I guess the H1 and GC names does not matter now.

Name change costs money and time, if not done as part of Naturalization.