Name change during naturalization is causing problem with OCI processing

Name change at interview is your choice..you can write your name as xyz. So your marriage certificate does not make any difference. Name change introduces court into the process for oath..what that means is you will not be able to carry a camera and take a picture and may have some delay as they schedule name change naturalzation at court only on certain days..about twice a month...where I live.

Is above true even for last name change for wife

When you are being naturalized, it is not based on your husband's app like green card. At the interview whether you requested for a name change in your N-400 or not..you will be asked the following question:

. Would like to Change your name ?
If you answer Yes, then they will ask you for your new name..it cud be anything(cud be "abc 2009" if you want)....they will fill out paperwork for court order and ask you to sign your old name on the application. They will also ask you to sign your new name on the photographs...whether you change your signature or not..is again upto you. It belongs to you.

I am running into the same problem as hparul

My Indian passport has: Singriwala Rob Singh, Hari Singh
US passport name: Singriwala Rob Singh;

Green card had initial H to reflect fathers name but other than that I have always used Singriwala Rob Singh as my legal name in the US;

Which local newspaper did U advertise in ?
Which specific forms in the court [santa clar county] did you have to use ?

This is not a name change

I am running into the same problem as hparul

My Indian passport has: Singriwala Rob Singh, Hari Singh
US passport name: Singriwala Rob Singh;

Green card had initial H to reflect fathers name but other than that I have always used Singriwala Rob Singh as my legal name in the US;

Which local newspaper did U advertise in ?
Which specific forms in the court [santa clar county] did you have to use ?

I don't think you are changing your name, so why would you have to advertise this in newspaper or go to court? Simple notarized affidavit should work. Sometimes in similar circumstances some people face the issue and some not.

Well, this was my perception. It solely depends on you what way you should choose. All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
name question

Hi Experts,
I have just applied for US passports and today I just completed my finger prints. I was reading ahead on OCI application process and came across issues some of you had related to name change. I have question about it.
Which name do you get on your US passport? The one on your green card or the one from the application form N-400?
I noticed that my green card has a name with no suffix (kumar)on my first name but My Indian passport has a first name with suffix(kumar). Is that going to create problems if my US passport does not have suffix? I did put suffix in N-400 application form.

any experience with this?

Hi Experts,
I have just applied for US passports and today I just completed my finger prints. I was reading ahead on OCI application process and came across issues some of you had related to name change. I have question about it.
Which name do you get on your US passport? The one on your green card or the one from the application form N-400?
I noticed that my green card has a name with no suffix (kumar)on my first name but My Indian passport has a first name with suffix(kumar). Is that going to create problems if my US passport does not have suffix? I did put suffix in N-400 application form.

any experience with this?

As you rightly noticed, there is already a thread discussing this issue. I'll merge the two.

quick question, what should i do if i requested a name change on my N-400 form and the interviewer even confirmed with me but the actual request didn't get process?

OCI and name change - Please help

Hi Folks,
My wife got her name changed (based on marriage) during the naturalization process and now we want to apply for OCI.
I looked at the other thread re OCI and name change and there are various responses from which I could not conclude anything. Specifically I want to know :
a) Do we really need to run advertisement in the newspapers here and in India - for marriage based name change ?

Other details
- Consulate in jurisdiction - SF
- No court order received for name change during oath - just the naturalization certificate with the new name.

Anyone gone through this experience recently ? Any insights would be very helpful.
Thanks.

Hi cs8103

We had the same situation where my wife last name got changed to mine, but I enclosed our marriage certificate copy along with other related documents. We did not have any issues with the OCI process. All is done in smooth manner.

Thanks,
Why-R

Thanks Why-R2.

Did you send any notarized affidavit too ?

The SF consulate website says :

"IF YOUR NAME IN YOUR US PASSPORT IS DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE IN THE INDIAN PASSPORT, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO ADVERTISE CHANGE OF NAME IN A NEWSPAPER IN YOUR LOCALITY IN USA, AND IN INDIA. COMPLETE AND NOTARIZE THE CHANGE OF NAME AFFIDAVIT."

Hi cs8103

We had the same situation where my wife last name got changed to mine, but I enclosed our marriage certificate copy along with other related documents. We did not have any issues with the OCI process. All is done in smooth manner.

Thanks,
Why-R

Thanks Why-R2.

"IF YOUR NAME IN YOUR US PASSPORT IS DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE IN THE INDIAN PASSPORT, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO ADVERTISE CHANGE OF NAME IN A NEWSPAPER IN YOUR LOCALITY IN USA, AND IN INDIA. COMPLETE AND NOTARIZE THE CHANGE OF NAME AFFIDAVIT."

Can you post the link and change of name in US local news paper and US court order is enough for new name on OCI.

Thanks Why-R2.

Hi cs8103,

I believe the name change that you are talking about is if some one changes first name, but I think for wife's last name you don't need to do that. Even when you apply passport in INDIA, though the last name of the wife different, the passport agency issue with new husband's last name after verifying marriage certificate.

But, again you may need to call the SF branch - Mine is Houston and I did not have any issues whatsoever.

Thanks,
Why-R2

You are right Why-R2.
I sent an email to SF consulate and got the response that I only need a copy of marriage certificate and change of name affidavit - no advertisement in newspapers are needed.

thanks for your insights.

Hi cs8103,

I believe the name change that you are talking about is if some one changes first name, but I think for wife's last name you don't need to do that. Even when you apply passport in INDIA, though the last name of the wife different, the passport agency issue with new husband's last name after verifying marriage certificate.

But, again you may need to call the SF branch - Mine is Houston and I did not have any issues whatsoever.

Thanks,
Why-R2

Name Change in Indian Local News Paper While Living in US

sudha1999

this is the link for SF consulate info

http://www.cgisf.org/oc/oci_process.html#reservations

cs8103,

Thanks for sending the link. Do you or anybody know how to change the name in India by advertising in local newspaper. I have already submitted petition for name change in US and advertised in US local news paper. I am changing my first name so I need to advertise in the news paper. I have the following questions.

1. Is the US newspaper ad and court document is enough to get the name change document notarized in India.

2. Can I advertise in Indian local newspaper while I am here in US. If 'YES' what is the procedure and how long it will take to complete the procedure.

I am in the similar situation as most of the people in this forum. Here is my story

INDIAN PASSPORT :
SURNAME : lastname
GIVEN NAME : XXXX YYYY

GREEN CARD :
LAST NAME :lastname
FIRST NAME : YYYY X (First initial. I am sure their system has complete XXXX)

Will there be any problems when applying for Citizenship or OCI?
Please educate me on how to go about for N 400 so that I will not have any issues during OCI period.

I got an email from the Consulate saying that my US passport which just has a first and last name, does not match with my Indian passport which included my father name as my "middle" name. Now they are telling me that I need a US court order. Does anyone have any experience in these matters. Thanks.

hparul,

Did Indian Consulate ask for court order only for name change or ask for name change in India by advertising in Indian local newspaper. I am in the process of name change by court order. On SF Indian consulate website, it says the name change should be done in both US and India. I appreciate if share your experience.

I am in the similar situation as most of the people in this forum. Here is my story

INDIAN PASSPORT :
SURNAME : lastname
GIVEN NAME : XXXX YYYY

GREEN CARD :
LAST NAME :lastname
FIRST NAME : YYYY X (First initial. I am sure their system has complete XXXX)

Will there be any problems when applying for Citizenship or OCI?
Please educate me on how to go about for N 400 so that I will not have any issues during OCI period.

From what I have read/heard, during US citizenship process, you can revert to your name as it was in your Indian Passport (without any questions asked). If you do that, obviously there won't be any issues when you apply for OCI.