Name change during naturalization is causing problem with OCI processing

sanfranciscooci

name change during naturalization is causing problem with OCI processing

My name was changed during naturalization and now I am having problems with OCI processing because my US passport name and indian passport name doesn't match

My wife changed her name at naturalization. She sent a copy of her name change certificate with her OCI application and did not have any problems.

If you changed your name as part of the naturalisation process, you would have received a name change certificate at the oath ceremony.

a court order

name change during naturalization is causing problem with OCI processing

My name was changed during naturalization and now I am having problems with OCI processing because my US passport name and indian passport name doesn't match

If you had a name change @ naturalization...your naturalization should have happened in a court..before granting you the us citizenship the court passes a motion to change your name and you are given a court order which reflects the name. If you do not have a copy do not panic...go to the court where it happened..and contact the clerk. they will have a copy on their file and you can get one...if you remember the seat number during the naturalization process..it will be easy for them to search.

BTW..I had a real problematic last name change..and everything seem to go fine till now...the oci status has been granted and printed. I did include the court order though.

Good luck.

OCI middle name problems

I got an email from the Consulate saying that my US passport which just has a first and last name, does not match with my Indian passport which included my father name as my "middle" name. Now they are telling me that I need a US court order. Does anyone have any experience in these matters. Thanks.

I got an email from the Consulate saying that my US passport which just has a first and last name, does not match with my Indian passport which included my father name as my "middle" name. Now they are telling me that I need a US court order. Does anyone have any experience in these matters. Thanks.

Is this a result of a name change? If so, you should have received a court order at some point.

If you did not have a name change, then sounds like it's just the way you filled out your US passport application. You must have omitted the middle name/middle initial. In such a case, you can try to submit a notarized affidavit saying that you are indeed the same person. Also include a cover letter explaining what exactly happened. If the US passport application has middle name as optional, then it's not really a name change. It's just the way you chose to fill out your US passport application. Not sure how much this helps. Please let us know how you make out. Good luck.

OCI - Name Change Process and Templates - SFO

Steps you need to follow if the name in the US passport does not match the name in the Indian passport - and you wish to apply for an OCI.

DISCLAIMERS :

a.) This process worked for me and my spouse as of Q2-2009. In the future, the Consulate General's office may change their requirements
b.) Our applications were made to the SFO Consulate General's Office.(As part of the process, I contacted the NY office - and found to my surprise - that the process was not consistent.)

STEPS:

a.) After your legal name change - via a court order or part of the naturalization process, place a newspaper announcement of the name change in a local US newspaper (where you live today) as well as a newspaper in India (preferably in the city where your Indian passport shows you were domiciled)

b.) I used the following template "Vide certificate <Certificate #> issued by the <County-Name> County District Court in <City> <State>, I hereby announce that I have changed my name from <Old Name> to <New Name> on MMM, DD YYYY."

c.) Submit your application / passports / applicable fees, the two newspaper (one US and 1 from India) pages alongwith the notorized "Change in Name" Affidavit (link found on SFO/CGI website under OCI / The Process)

NOTES :

1.) The first time I sent in the application, I did not place the ads but sent in the certified copy of the name change document (County Court Order). While this may be (cant say for sure) acceptable to the NY CGI, the folks in SFO sent my application back requesting I place newspaper ads.

2.) The next time around, I placed the ads and the local newspaper gave me a notorized "Affidavit of Publication". I included that as part of my application, but that did not meet the requirements either. They wanted the physical copy of the newspaper - with the announcements marked. So the second application was returned as well.

3.) The third time was lucky (or they got tired), when I included the newspaper announcements.

4.) When placing the ad in the US, the local newspaper placed it based on my email to them with no requirement of any supporting document. However when placing the announcement in India, Indian Express/TOI agreed to place the announcement only after a copy of the court order document was shown to the agent. So to avoid any hassle - you may want to simply scan and send a copy of the name change court order to the folks in India placing the ad for you.

5.) This process works even if you entirely changed your name i.e. <First Name> and <Last Name>

Good Luck !

Name Change Issues

Most people don't understand the concept of middle name. Middle Name is the person's own name. But in India it is different. There is no middle name. The full name in India includes father's/husband's name. It should not be considered as middle name.

HParul, so when you applied for OCI, did you application not move any further then consulate?

My wife's last name changed to my last name and we did not receive any court order after her OATH. Do we have any problems in getting OCI for her ?

Thanks for your comments.
Why-R

Is this an issue only for OCI..or even for PIO.

When I got naturalized. they changed my name to reflect only First Name and Last Name and dropped my middle name.

So now my middle name is in my Indian passport,but my US passport will not have the same.

So would PIO be an issue for me?
Shanks

Middle name in West is person's own name vs. fullname in India includes father's/husband's (first) name which we loosely take as middle name, which actually is not.

Regards,

Kumar

So KUMAR.

Does that mean that I willhae to go thru a name change process to get PIO card?

Or will the indian consulate issue me one?

Shanks

Name Change Issues

Honestly, I don't know how CGI will react. My perception is, you are not changing anything, just using first and last names. Maybe for safety, you can have a notarized affidavit mentioning that you are the same person using the fullname and name with first and last names.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Kumar

I had a name change during naturalization. Sent a court order with my OCI application to NY CGI. It was granted y.day

Name Change & Marriage Certificate

Can anybody share their experience about changing last name during interview @ Newark.

Is the marriage certificate from outside US (India in my case) is sufficient.

will it cause delays for the oath ? Not sure , if newark has judicial oath or administrative oath.

abc2009
Newark D/O
03/29/09:N-400 Application Mailed to Lewsville Lockbox.
04/01/09 :Notice Date.
05/06/09 :FP Appointment - Done.
06/04/09 :Interview Letter Recvd.
08/17/09 :Interview & Oath Scheduled.