Name change during naturalization is causing problem with OCI processing

Just wanted to update you guys that the Consulate has approved my OCI without any issues though my names on Indian & US passports were different.

hello,
i have the similar issue what you described above. can you please tell me if they accept any standard affidavit that i can write and get a notary signed. will they accept this.? do you have any format that i can refer to?. appreciate your help in advance. thank you.

Is this a result of a name change? If so, you should have received a court order at some point.

If you did not have a name change, then sounds like it's just the way you filled out your US passport application. You must have omitted the middle name/middle initial. In such a case, you can try to submit a notarized affidavit saying that you are indeed the same person. Also include a cover letter explaining what exactly happened. If the US passport application has middle name as optional, then it's not really a name change. It's just the way you chose to fill out your US passport application. Not sure how much this helps. Please let us know how you make out. Good luck.

>> Hello realnewbie.
i have a similar situation you described above. can i use any standard letter describing the above situation and get a notary signed. will they approve this without any court order. i didnt go thru' any name change. just the US passport does not have my middle name. please suggest. thank you. if you have a copy of the affidavit format, please send it. thank you.

So i have the same situation wherein my US passport does not have the middle name and Indian passport has a middle name.
I was reading online on the travisa website https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/oci/display-requirements
and it seems that you can just give a notarized
"For former Indian nationals, if your name in your Indian passport is different in any way from the name in your United States passport, one of the following documents must be provided.

Marriage Certificate showing the name change if the name was changed at marriage.
Official court order for the name change
Notarized letter stating that the name was changed during the naturalization process."

has anyone just given a notarized letter stating that they dropped the middle name from the US passport

So i have the same situation wherein my US passport does not have the middle name and Indian passport has a middle name.
I was reading online on the travisa website https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/oci/display-requirements
and it seems that you can just give a notarized
"For former Indian nationals, if your name in your Indian passport is different in any way from the name in your United States passport, one of the following documents must be provided.

Marriage Certificate showing the name change if the name was changed at marriage.
Official court order for the name change
Notarized letter stating that the name was changed during the naturalization process."

has anyone just given a notarized letter stating that they dropped the middle name from the US passport

Unfortunately my OCI application got rejected and they are asking me to do a formal name change just for not having fathers name in US passport.
does anyone know a good place to put ads for both US and India.

Unfortunately my OCI application got rejected and they are asking me to do a formal name change just for not having fathers name in US passport.

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...ter-Missing-Information-Name-Change-Affidavit please take a look at that forum posting. As I mentioned in one of my old posts, the Consulate forgot to give Travisa complete sheet of instructions. Travisa doesn't recognize the Name Change Affidavit from the cgisf website and the newspaper ads are useless to them. I did name change ads and by the time I applied for OCI, the service was outsourced to Travisa. Read the link and do what I did if you can. Travisa is so focused on getting a court order for a name change, that they won't understand the meaning of name correction. (that was the case for me atleast)
Sorry to hear your OCI got rejected. Mine was processed with the G-24 form. You do have to visit the local USCIS office as you cannot find the form online on uscis website.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had changed the spelling of my last name during the Naturalization process and did not received a formal certificate during the oath ceremony. Now while applying for the OCI card, since my original Indian passport last name spelling is different than the US passport, I've been requested to provide proof. Is there a form that I can download and request the formal certificate for the name change? Would appreciate any feedback you may have.

Thanks much.

I had changed the spelling of my last name during the Naturalization process and did not received a formal certificate during the oath ceremony. Now while applying for the OCI card, since my original Indian passport last name spelling is different than the US passport, I've been requested to provide proof. Is there a form that I can download and request the formal certificate for the name change? Would appreciate any feedback you may have.

Thanks much.

The post above your post(the previous post) seems to contain that information.

I called them up and explained that i have not changed the name etc.And then i send them the attached template with my details filled in and got it notarized in US.They said that they will accept the attached letter .I have not yet got my OCI but atleast they have transferred it to Consulate.Last time it was just stuck with Travisa.
on some forums i read you need a g24 form etc , but for the time being im going with the template which i got it approved from travisa.
attached is the template which i used.I had to attach a pdf as the forum does not seem to allow word docs.

I called them up and explained that i have not changed the name etc.And then i send them the attached template with my details filled in and got it notarized in US.They said that they will accept the attached letter .I have not yet got my OCI but atleast they have transferred it to Consulate.Last time it was just stuck with Travisa.
on some forums i read you need a g24 form etc , but for the time being im going with the template which i got it approved from travisa.
attached is the template which i used.I had to attach a pdf as the forum does not seem to allow word docs.

That is something new and good to know. Finally these idiots have created a documents for the name discrepancy. When I got my name corrected, these asswipes were sooo useless and unhelpful.. I had to get all the help from the USCIS. Finally these gadhes have learned a new lesson. Hopefully they will stick to it and let everyone process their application if they fill out their name affidavit template form.

My wife had same Surname before marriage also but after married we also applied for naturalization certificate and Middle name has changed to my First name....You can ask this in Court by applying.....

Is this a authorized document?

Hi,

My name is written in Indian passport as LAST_NAME FIRST_NAME MIDDLE_NAME which is 37 characters long including space. Maximum allowable space for name in USA passport is 29 characters. So, my name in USA passport is written as LAST_NAME FIRST_NAME without middle name so that it can fit in 29 characters. I have been trying to contact Travisa/consulate about this is issue by phone. I could not get hold of them. I sent them mails but no response as of now. Can you please me know how you filled your OCI application? i.e., with middle name or without middle name. I would really appreciate that.

Hey...i am also in same situation right now. Did you get your OCI approved?? Please let me know. thanks!!

yes i got my OCI with the document which i attached to this thread :).i would recommend that when you get the rejection during the first time for a name change call them up before they send your paperwork back via courier.you might have to wait for 1 hour or so , but tell them the situation and tell them that we can provide a signed affidavit the way i did it and you should be all set.

Name change

Hello N400guy/All:
I'm in same situation as N400guy, where my indian passport has first and last name, US passport has first, middle and last name, sames goes with Naturalization certificate. My birth/mariage certificates too reflect fisrt,middle and last name.
When I spoke to Rep in Travisa they are saying to be considered as name change and wants me to provide notrarized affidavit.
Pls provide me inputs on how to handle this and if you hv any template for above scenario, pls post.
Help is much appreciated.
Regards,
Dr.

You can use the same template that been provide by user "TensedAlways". Just scroll up little bit and you will find the pdf document there. I have the same issue and currently my process is in final stage so it seems like working fine.

Thanks

Hello N400guy/All:
I'm in same situation as N400guy, where my indian passport has first and last name, US passport has first, middle and last name, sames goes with Naturalization certificate. My birth/mariage certificates too reflect fisrt,middle and last name.
When I spoke to Rep in Travisa they are saying to be considered as name change and wants me to provide notrarized affidavit.
Pls provide me inputs on how to handle this and if you hv any template for above scenario, pls post.
Help is much appreciated.
Regards,
Dr.

No.,I didnt ask for anything.They just dropped the middle name.

Hello Shanks1975

I have the same issue now. They simply dropped my middle name. Did'nt realise it will have a problem at OCI. Were you able to reolve and how? Any help would be appreciated

Middle name dropped in naturalisation certificate, OCI application requires same as Indian passport

The officer told me and my wife, if we want to keep the middle name then we would will need a court order and oath ceremony etc will be delayed. We did'nt bother so our naturalisation certificate do not have middle name.

My case:
I have middle name initial in my new US passport since I had filled in full middle name in the passport application.
--------
Wife's case
She does not have middle name in US passport because she did not fill the middle name and left blank in the passport application.

How do we fill in our names in OCI application so we do not have a problem. Our OCI jurisdication is Houston

Thanks for any response.