N-400 San Francisco timeline

can you please tell me which uscis number did you call?

Suraj73 and Sal2002...

The number I called was the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283. I selected options to check on a current application and when it asked for my receipt number I selected for "I forgot or cannot find my receipt number"... then it transferred me to live operator... I did not have to wait at all... they answered very quickly... Whole phone call was maybe 10 minutes... maybe even less.

Good luck... hopefully you will get good news soon.

Postscript... And of course after this whole explanation... I received the IL in today's mail. :) Too funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I find out where I am blocked? It looks like my wife's application is moving, but mine is not.

Sal2002,

Call USCIS in the morning, and don't hesitate to ask them to transfer you to a second level IO. Their pretty good at telling you what's going on. Don't worry much your case will be moving fast too. If you couldn't be transferred to an IO then I will definitely make an info pass and go there in person but wait another week before you go in person.

I received the IL yesterday as well.

N-400: Sent 09-21-09 Arizona LockBox by FedEx
N-400: Received 09-22-09
N-400: Check Cleared 09-28-09
N-400: NOA Date 09-25-09
N-400: NOA Received 09-30-09
N-400: Received FP Notice 10-05-09
N-400: FP Done 10-13-09 Walk In
N-400: FP Date 10-24-09
N-400: 10-26-2009 recd a Message "Your application has been transferred..."
N-400: 11-09-2009 IL Recd.
N-400: 12-03-2009 1:45 PM ID

Hanhan, Thanks for your response earlier.
This morning I got email with the message: This case has been sent for a standard interview. Hopefully my interview letter on the way.

Finally it's over!

My timeline and experienced for those who may be interested in my journey:
When you receive your FP notice, no need to wait for the exact/time in Oakland, go early
very efficient and fast. No online appointment needed also for Infopass to check your application
or enquiry at Washington St, SFO. You can go anytime (avoid peak hours). Prepare your
documents in advance before the interviewed. Any or even remote documents bring it with
you. Prepare yourself mentally. I have all my cancelled PP, Tax Records and etc. The interviewer
very friendly lady, she checked carefully my PP - two trips overseas. The Stamps were smeared
and I have a backup daughter PP to proof dates (go over the dates in PP before the interviewed).
She asked how did get my GC and how long did I worked for the sponsor. Ask four questions
and make a mistake on the first question and corrected it. Took about 20 minutes, it's all over.
She said I passed, ask if the Oath date 5th Nov. is OK and wait outside for further interviewed.
I was stunned, after waiting for about 10 minutes, I was given the Oath date. Oath Ceremony,
Masonic Center SFO. Again, go early I was 45 minutes early and three lines already forming. I think
1,227 or 1,207 in the Oath ceremony that day. Apply PP after the ceremony pay extra for 2-3 weeks.

Good luck to all.

DO: San Francisco
07/17/09: Mailed to Phoenix lockbox
07/22/09 Received Date
07/27/09: Notice Date
08/04/09: FP Notice
08/21/09: FP done as scheduled
09/16/09: Interview notification
10/25/09: Interviewed
10/25/09: Oath notification
11/05/09: Oath Ceremony, Masonic Center SF
11/05/09: Apply PP, Expedited Service
11/11/09: PP reply via email "in process"
11/14/09: PP receive today, just 9 days. Journey end.

Folks who have had their interview at the San Francisco field office on Sansome Street - are you allowed to bring in your cell phone?
I have my interview on Dec 4th morning.
Thanks

Folks who have had their interview at the San Francisco field office on Sansome Street - are you allowed to bring in your cell phone? I have my interview on Dec 4th morning.
Thanks

Yes, you can but you need to switch off your cell phone.

dwood : Your inteview question -She asked how did you get the GC and how long did I worked for the sponsor ?

What was your answer ? Did they mean the total length of your tenure with the GC sponsoring company or the time that you worked after gettting the GC ?

Dublinguy : Your inteview question - She asked how did you get the GC and how long did I worked for the sponsor ?
What was your answer ? Did they mean the total length of your tenure with the GC sponsoring company or the time that you worked after gettting the GC ?

I believe she asked me something like "How long did you work for XXXX ?" and she continue, "I never heard of this company?" I explained to her the three places I worked with the sponsor, without talking too much as I am a nervous person. I was prepared for this and other questions and had documentary proof of the total time I stayed with them, but she did not asked to see the documents. I hope that help and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Does anyone know why San Francisco office does not conduct same day oath? In some offices, for instance New Jersey, your oath is within an hour of completing the interview.

Is it a state thing?

Folks who have had their interview at the San Francisco field office on Sansome Street - are you allowed to bring in your cell phone?
I have my interview on Dec 4th morning.
Thanks

As long as it is not a camera phone. Security will NOT let you take a camera Phone inside (switched off or not). Non-Camera phones are not a problem.

So unless you want to fork over $20 to the photo shop across the street to 'hold' your camera for the duration of your interview, leave it in your car. (Or get hold of a cheapo non-camera phone for the day)

Does anyone know why San Francisco office does not conduct same day oath? In some offices, for instance New Jersey, your oath is within an hour of completing the interview.

Is it a state thing?

SF DO has more number of applicants for citizenship as a result there will be wait time for oath ceremony. On this forum, some people mentioned the oath ceremony was already full just few days before the interview. Same day oath ceremony is unlikely under these circumstances.

Just posting my status below:

DO: SF

8-6-09 sent in my application via UPS...
8-10-09 received by juarez @ 9.49 am
8-15-09 check cashed.
8-18-09 received I-797c, Notice of Action (receipt) (notice date:08-13-09)
8-25-09 received an email (requesting evidence)
8-28-09 received biometrics Notice of Action scheduled for 09-10-09 @ 2:00pm. (notice dated: 08-26-09)
9-10-09 finger prints taken
9-24-09 received an email (transferred file to local branch for interview)
10-5-09 Interview Letter Received scheduled for 11-03-09 @ 8:25am. (notice date: 10-01-09)
11-03-09 Interview completed (approved).

now just waiting for the oath letter...

Interviews passed

My wife and I passed our interviews today at SF. Got stuck in the parking lot that is the Bay Bridge and reached 30 min late. Were let in without issues. Wife was called in just 5 min. but asked why she was late. I was called in about 10 min later but wasn't similarly asked.

IO was very courteous and professional. She corrected minor typos in the form. We had not mentioned about traffic citations. On the "any arrests, convictions or citations" the IO read it out to which I replied "2 minor traffic tickets, not DUI related, not above $500". She asked me the details of the tickets and if I had paid the fines. Also mentioned the correctable ticket and that it had been fixed. She noted everything on the N400 and moved on. Not sure if she changed the answer from No to Yes. Had taken certified court dispositions for my tickets and the DMV-signed new one. Wife had taken the fine payment receipt with her. She wasn't specifically asked about tickets, only arrests or felonies, to which she answered no and the IO moved on.

IO mentioned about receiving the OL in 1-2 weeks and that the 11/19 ceremony was full, the next being on 12/17. Hopefully this should soon end the years-long immigration saga - from F1 to H1 to GC and eventually USC! Thanks a lot to all for all the helpful info in this loooong thread and for the PMs as well. Good luck to everyone!

Interviewed on same day both husband and wife but only husband got oath letter

Hi
Both me and my wife got interviewed on Nov 3rd and we both passed the interview. I got my oath letter on Nov 12th for oath on Nov 19th. But my wife hasn't got oath letter yet. It is just one day left for the oath ceremony. I am concerned because we had FP and Interview on same day and almost same time. Has anyone been in similar situation?
I tried calling USCIS but they say wait for 90 days to appeal.

Applied Aug 7th
FP Done Sept 10th
Interviewed on Nov 3d
Oath letter arrived on Nov 12th
Oath on Nov 19th