N-400 San Francisco timeline

Congratulations JoKing!!!

I hope my interview goes as smoothly. Enjoy your upcoming citizenship. :D

Interview experience

I passed my interview tests as well. Fairly straightfoward - my officer had a stiff upper lip and a very mechanical mentality. No nonsense. Went through my app, there were a few changes in the app since I changed my job from when I submitted my app, missed disclosing a citation and some editorial stuff.

The questions were all softballs - 1) Who wrote the declaration of independence, 2) Name the major poltical parties, 3) What is political party of the president, 4) One state bordering Mexico, 5) Name 3 of the 13 original states, 6) Who is the commander in chief of the military

She said I passed and and a written decision would be sent to me regarding my application after she re-reviews my file. It was unlikely that I'd make it to the dec 17th oath since the letters are sent at least 2 weeks in advance. I guess she has to get her superior officer's signature due to changes in application - but she didnt say that. So I have to wait for my written decision. Fingers crossed.

Finally my oath date: 12/17/09. :)

I am so happy as I am leaving the US for 3 months to study in northern brasil in January. Thanks to all for all your postings and advice!

Interview CheckList.

In the Interview Letter they ask us to bring the GC, PP, Photo ID and the Interview letter itself. Is there anything else that we need to carry like Employment Letters, Paystubs, Tax docs etc.

Oath date calendar for San Francisco(Masonic Center)

December
12/11/2009 Fri 7:30 PM Dave Koz — A Smooth Jazz Christmas
12/17/2009 Thurs 2:00 PM Homeland Security-Swearing in Ceremony

January
1/7/2010 Thurs 2:00 PM Homeland Security-Swearing in Ceremony
1/23/2010 Sat JC Productions presents Hoi Kan Wong (Christopher Wong) & Yi Lin
1/28/2010 Thurs 2:00 PM Homeland Security-Swearing in Ceremony
1/30/2010 Sat 7:00 PM Gabriel Iglesias - The Fluffy Shop Tour

February
2/6/2010 Sat Face Entertainment presents Liza Wang
2/14/2010 Sun Face Entertainment presents Dayo Wong
2/18/2010 Thurs 2:00 PM Homeland Security-Swearing in Ceremony

April
4/10/2010 Sat TBD SFJazz - Bobby McFerrin
4/17/2010 Sat TBD SFJazz - Caetano Veloso

September
9/9/2010 Thurs 2:00 PM Homeland Security-Swearing in Ceremony
9/21/2010 Thurs 2:00 PM Homeland Security-Swearing in Ceremony

Interview CheckList.

Can someone please reply ?

In the Interview Letter they ask us to bring the GC, PP, Photo ID and the Interview letter itself. Is there anything else that we need to carry like Employment Letters, Paystubs, Tax docs etc.

Interview Checklist

Dublinguy.. there are a bunch of documents you should keep with you. Here's a good resource on this forum:

Do a search for "Documents and preparation for Naturalization Interview:"
By JohnnyCash.

For some reason it wouldn't let me post the URL to that thread. You'll have to do a search.

Even I referred to this link to prepare for my interview.

Interview Experience

I arrived at the DO exactly 30 minutes before the appointment. I work nearby so that part was easy.

I went through security and upstairs to the second floor where I left my appointment letter with the receptionist ( a very nice lady who chatted with me about London and Edinburgh. Then I went to sit and wait.

I waited till almost 20 minutes after my appointment time. Then a female IO came out and called my name. As soon as she saw me stand up, she started to walk away... it was a little strange... she didn't say follow me, or come this way, or anything... she just said my name and started walking when I got up. I had to move pretty fast to catch up with her.

We walked into her office and she told me to raise my right and hand and swear to tell the truth, etc.

Then we sat down and after a few moments of pleasantries, we were off. She was ALL BUSINESS. We went through EVERY LINE of the application and she asked for almost everything on the Johnny Cash list... only thing she didn't ask for was my tax documentation.

I applied based on 5 year rule. I am married to a USC but I have had a GC since 1992. I was previously married and so was my current spouse. IO asked for divorce decrees for my spouse and I... she asked for our child's birth certificate... she asked for our marriage license... she asked for DMV disposition... she asked for W2... she asked for DMV paperwork on 1 traffic citation from 3 years ago... she asked for EVERYTHING... She was pleasant enough, but for some reason, I did not feel like she was particularly friendly... just ALL BUSINESS and very fast. At one point she asked me for a document that I had already given her and she repeatedly insisted that I hadn't given it to her while I insisted that I had, finally I pointed it out in her rapidly growing pile of documentation... she didn't apologize or anything... just kept moving... it was bit of a frustrating experience and I got more and more nerve-wracked as it went on.

Finally, when we got to the questions, she asked me the questions very fast. I almost didn't notice that she was asking the first question, and my mind went blank for a second... even though it was really simple... "What is the name of the National Anthem?" For some reason I couldn't remember for a few seconds... finally it clicked and I knew the answer.

Questions were...
What is the name of the National Anthem?
What does it mean that we are a "nation of laws?"
Why does the flag have 13 stripes?
What ocean borders the western United States?
What happened on september 11?
What age can you vote?

I got them all right and she immediately switched to a different sheet of paper which she handed to me saying "Read any one of these sentences." I read "How many US Senators do we have?" and then she handed me another sheet of paper and told me to write "We have one hundred senators" and sign the paper.

FINALLY, she looked up and smiled... "congratulations, you passed the tests... I will be sending you a decision via mail" It was all very fast.

I tried in vain to get some idea of when oath date might be (I am trying to get early January because I MUST travel to the UK and France in late January and it will be much easier to do on a US passport than on my original nationality passport)... but she said, oath date is determined automatically based on application and interview dates and she cannot control the process.

Then she told me to wait outside while she copied one of my original documents which I had forgotten to photocopy. When she came back I asked when I could expect an answer and she said that she would "approve the application today but cannot predict how long to get oath letter."

That was it. Overall... it was an easy interview, but very fast and very frustrating... I am glad that thanks to this forum I was very prepared with documents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dublinguy.. there are a bunch of documents you should keep with you. Here's a good resource on this forum:

Do a search for "Documents and preparation for Naturalization Interview:"
By JohnnyCash.

For some reason it wouldn't let me post the URL to that thread. You'll have to do a search.

Even I referred to this link to prepare for my interview.

It is a Sticky... Look towards the top of the thread listings....

(Oh, and my case was sent for standard review earlier today - exactly one month from when the application was received by the USCIS)

December
12/11/2009 Fri 7:30 PM Dave Koz — A Smooth Jazz Christmas
12/17/2009 Thurs 2:00 PM Homeland Security-Swearing in Ceremony

January
1/7/2010 Thurs 2:00 PM Homeland Security-Swearing in Ceremony
1/23/2010 Sat JC Productions presents Hoi Kan Wong (Christopher Wong) & Yi Lin
1/28/2010 Thurs 2:00 PM Homeland Security-Swearing in Ceremony
1/30/2010 Sat 7:00 PM Gabriel Iglesias - The Fluffy Shop Tour

February
2/6/2010 Sat Face Entertainment presents Liza Wang
2/14/2010 Sun Face Entertainment presents Dayo Wong
2/18/2010 Thurs 2:00 PM Homeland Security-Swearing in Ceremony

April
4/10/2010 Sat TBD SFJazz - Bobby McFerrin
4/17/2010 Sat TBD SFJazz - Caetano Veloso

September
9/9/2010 Thurs 2:00 PM Homeland Security-Swearing in Ceremony
9/21/2010 Thurs 2:00 PM Homeland Security-Swearing in Ceremony

OMG, I expect to complete my N-400 around April 2010. But according to this schedule, there is no oath ceremony until September 2010.

Is this true?

OMG, I expect to complete my N-400 around April 2010. But according to this schedule, there is no oath ceremony until September 2010.

Is this true?

I saw it on the Internet.. so it MUST be true. :)

I'm sure they'll have Oath ceremonies between Feb-Sept next year. Besides, that is the calendar of the Masonic Center and there has been talk in the past that DHS was looking at alternate locations. So either Masonic hasn't updated its calendar, or the Oath ceremonies are being held somewhere else. I don't' think the SF DO can go 7 months without an Oath ceremony.

Last edited by a moderator:
09/08/09 - Mailed application
09/09/09 -Delivered
09/09/09 - Received date
09/11/09 - Priority date
09/14/09 - Notice date
09/22/09 - REceived FP Notice
10/09/09 - FP Date
10/17/09 - Case Transfered to Local Office
11/24/09 - Interview Completed.
01/07/2010 -Oath

I arrived at the DO exactly 30 minutes before the appointment. I work nearby so that part was easy.

I went through security and upstairs to the second floor where I left my appointment letter with the receptionist ( a very nice lady who chatted with me about London and Edinburgh. Then I went to sit and wait.

I waited till almost 20 minutes after my appointment time. Then a female IO came out and called my name. As soon as she saw me stand up, she started to walk away... it was a little strange... she didn't say follow me, or come this way, or anything... she just said my name and started walking when I got up. I had to move pretty fast to catch up with her.

We walked into her office and she told me to raise my right and hand and swear to tell the truth, etc.

Then we sat down and after a few moments of pleasantries, we were off. She was ALL BUSINESS. We went through EVERY LINE of the application and she asked for almost everything on the Johnny Cash list... only thing she didn't ask for was my tax documentation.

I applied based on 5 year rule. I am married to a USC but I have had a GC since 1992. I was previously married and so was my current spouse. IO asked for divorce decrees for my spouse and I... she asked for our child's birth certificate... she asked for our marriage license... she asked for DMV disposition... she asked for W2... she asked for DMV paperwork on 1 traffic citation from 3 years ago... she asked for EVERYTHING... She was pleasant enough, but for some reason, I did not feel like she was particularly friendly... just ALL BUSINESS and very fast. At one point she asked me for a document that I had already given her and she repeatedly insisted that I hadn't given it to her while I insisted that I had, finally I pointed it out in her rapidly growing pile of documentation... she didn't apologize or anything... just kept moving... it was bit of a frustrating experience and I got more and more nerve-wracked as it went on.

Finally, when we got to the questions, she asked me the questions very fast. I almost didn't notice that she was asking the first question, and my mind went blank for a second... even though it was really simple... "What is the name of the National Anthem?" For some reason I couldn't remember for a few seconds... finally it clicked and I knew the answer.

Questions were...
What is the name of the National Anthem?
What does it mean that we are a "nation of laws?"
Why does the flag have 13 stripes?
What ocean borders the western United States?
What happened on september 11?
What age can you vote?

I got them all right and she immediately switched to a different sheet of paper which she handed to me saying "Read any one of these sentences." I read "How many US Senators do we have?" and then she handed me another sheet of paper and told me to write "We have one hundred senators" and sign the paper.

FINALLY, she looked up and smiled... "congratulations, you passed the tests... I will be sending you a decision via mail" It was all very fast.

I tried in vain to get some idea of when oath date might be (I am trying to get early January because I MUST travel to the UK and France in late January and it will be much easier to do on a US passport than on my original nationality passport)... but she said, oath date is determined automatically based on application and interview dates and she cannot control the process.

Then she told me to wait outside while she copied one of my original documents which I had forgotten to photocopy. When she came back I asked when I could expect an answer and she said that she would "approve the application today but cannot predict how long to get oath letter."

That was it. Overall... it was an easy interview, but very fast and very frustrating... I am glad that thanks to this forum I was very prepared with documents.

Did you submit those documents in the initial N400 application?

how long does it take to get the Oath Letter after the inteview has completed? its been 2 weeks (passed my interview on 11/30) but still havent received OL? any ideas how much longer i have to wait?

Dappant... No...

I didn't submit them with the original application... but it did not say to submit any of them either... I am applying based on 5 yr residency... (actually I got my GC in 1992) so none of that stuff was listed as necessary...

Also when I got my IL it only mentioned bringing passports and DL... so go figure.

how long does it take to get the Oath Letter after the inteview has completed? its been 2 weeks (passed my interview on 11/30) but still havent received OL? any ideas how much longer i have to wait?

Hey Gungru,

I know Someone that had an interview on 11-24-09 and got his oath on 12-12-09. So I would assume you are next in the list. Be Patient a bit more. and Please let me know once you received since I have my interview on 12-03-09.

Thanks,

thanks Hanhan and good luck with your interview.

my interview questions were
governor of CA, first president, who wrote the constitution, liberation of slavery, 2 more i dont remember...sorry:(

gungru

Thanks for wishing me luck but I already had my interview on December, 3rd. I amjust waiting for the oath letter like you:(