N-400 San Francisco timeline

My interview was in SF, You're right on Oath ceremonies it is happening in the nearest cities to the SFO. This Sunday it’s happening in Redwood city. Here is the address from Oath letter
2200 Broadway Street
Redwood City, CA 94063-1639

Hi sanrafael.. I have my citizenship appo this coming Monday.., How long did your interview take? Was the officer cool/friendly during the interview?
I have not been able to sleep for the last few days thinking about this coming Monday.
And finally... how long did you have to wait to find out if your case was approved?
Congratulations on your citizenship!!! good for you!!!

thanks

I second sfbus95's question.
Also, sfbus95, please come back and post your experience once you are done with the interview, please.
I wish you good luck and try to relax before the interview:)

I applied on the basis of "GC with 5 years". My interview date was 5/12/2010- 9.45am. I'm in the line some time around 9am (security checks for entering into the building). At 9.30am I'm in the 3rd floor. Initially I was bit nervous as time goes on everything went fine. All 6 questions answered. IO asked me that USCIS has Oath ceremony this Sunday at 11AM(redwwod city court house). I said, sure I'll attend . IO asked me to wait outside. After 15 min,he came along with Oath letter.:)

Congratulations! That's amazing that you get your oath scheduled right away. Did you, by any chance, requested for special accommodations? And if you don't mind me asking further, can you share to us in full detail the civics test questions and any other pertinent info regarding your actual interview experience. I'm going to be submitting my application soon and any additional information would surely help people like me prepare for the interview in SFO. Thanks!

Hi sanrafael.. I have my citizenship appo this coming Monday.., How long did your interview take? Was the officer cool/friendly during the interview?
I have not been able to sleep for the last few days thinking about this coming Monday.

I can imagine myself losing sleep thinking about the interview as well. So good luck on your upcoming interview!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesteday I went to Redwood City around 11AM. They collected my GC and paper work before nnon. Function started at 12 nnon. I received certificate around 12.30. If you had seen CBS5 new yesteday you might have noticed this ceremony . I'm happy to share this thru forum.

I'll explain what to do before interview and other things little latter. Don't hire any attorny, During my interview time ,I noticed one lady from Uk, she hired lawyer for 2000$. I don't know how much help she recevied from lawyer. Interview very easy and smooth process . As I mentioned earlier I also bit nervous before interview. But you have to be strong in 100 questions. Don't even mistake one question. That gives IO good impression that you are well prepared for that. During my writing skill I wrote one word wrong . he corrected and then passsed. What I'm suggesting you should well prepared for 6 civic questions. that gives good impression.

Congratulations on becoming a US Citizen,
And thank you for updating us here,
One more question, was there a judge present during the ceremony for people who wanted to change their names? I heard in SF they dont do it, and I was wondering since your ceremony was in Redwood City, whether they had a judge present.
Congrats again! Good luck to all of us!

Yesteday I went to Redwood City around 11AM. They collected my GC and paper work before nnon. Function started at 12 nnon. I received certificate around 12.30. If you had seen CBS5 new yesteday you might have noticed this ceremony . I'm happy to share this thru forum.

I'll explain what to do before interview and other things little latter. Don't hire any attorny, During my interview time ,I noticed one lady from Uk, she hired lawyer for 2000$. I don't know how much help she recevied from lawyer. Interview very easy and smooth process . As I mentioned earlier I also bit nervous before interview. But you have to be strong in 100 questions. Don't even mistake one question. That gives IO good impression that you are well prepared for that. During my writing skill I wrote one word wrong . he corrected and then passsed. What I'm suggesting you should well prepared for 6 civic questions. that gives good impression.

@sanrafael: Congrats on becoming a US citizen! And thanks for coming back to update us. I appreciate it. I missed the CBS5 news yesterday. I only saw the news about Bay to Breakers and went to bed. I wished I've seen the part of the Oath Ceremony. I bet it was exciting for you and your family, and to finally be done with USCIS.. what a relief!

I'm almost done with my N-400 packet, just waiting for a few documents and I'm good to go. I won't be hiring an immigration lawyer. Thanks for the tip. I'm studying for the civics test right now.. Hopefully, my nerves won't get in the way. Congrats again.

Interview

I second sfbus95's question.
Also, sfbus95, please come back and post your experience once you are done with the interview, please.
I wish you good luck and try to relax before the interview:)

Hi there.. the interview went well!!!.. I passed!. this is what happened.
First you get sworn in, right hand, tell truth etc. etc
Then the officer goes through all your N-400 form, (name, address, employer, where have you lived in the last 3 years, [exact addresses and dates], when was the last time you left the US, name of spouse, birth-dates, when did you start working?.
he checks all your trips outside the US against your passport stamps, so if you have more than 1 passport because they expired make sure to bring them.
The officer was not mean/grumpy at all, he was straight forward, and of course I was not expecting to be talking to my best friend either, but he was very respectful, polite and to the point so this definitely made it less difficult on me.
After going trough all the N-400 (comunist, arrested, prostitution question.., ) he said "now we are moving forward to your English tests".
He took a piece of paper with 3 sentences, A, B and C. he said to "read" line A, probably a 5 word sentence, so don't expect to be reading a book in there :)
Then it was the writing text, same thing, in a piece of paper there were 3 spaces, A, B & C, and he said a sentence (same thing, 5 word sentence) and I had to write it.

These pieces of paper are pre-printed, so the writing test and reading test are not randomly chosen by the officer, they have your name on top, and my guess is that they have A, B & C because you have 3 chances to pass these exams.

The officer also writes down ALL your responses and checks the Yes or no ones.

And finally my civic questions:
6 out of 10, once you respond correctly the 6 questions the officer does not ask you the rest,
they were exactly the same as the ones in the Citizenship guidebook,
1.- If the president and vice president are not longer in service who becomes the president
2.- how many senators
3.- how often do we vote for senators
4.- name one branch
5.- what does the president's cabinet do?
6.- cant remember, sorry... to much excitement.

and again these questions are pre-printed and the officer writes down your responses in these forms.

After that he said congratulations, you passed!!! (WHAT A RELIEF) so I had to sign the bottom of my N-400 and another piece of paper stating that I passed.
I also signed my photographs, and he said that my case was going to be recommended for approval.

One more thing.. he went through all my back up documents that I had with me.... bank statements, bills, taxes, photographs (collages), and he kept those for his records, also a copy of my marriage certificate, I prepared photocopies for him (attorney's advice), and this really seemed to help!

I asked the attorney right before the interview if I was to pass would I get my oath letter that same day?? he said that sometimes this happens but sometimes they say that you will get the oath letter in the mail within 3-4 weeks.
Anyway... he said I should not worry, but I am still crossing fingers hoping everything went well.
So far the officer said congratulations, you passed, wait for the letter and take care :)
I'll be sitting next to the mailbox for the next few days :):):):):p:p

please let me know if you have further questions.. . I know what you are going through and believe me I understand the stress you can be under, but you are not alone.., just be a good resident, pay your taxes, don't commit any crimes and you should be good to go.

cheers. !!!!!

Congrats, sfbus!! I'm happy for you.

And thanks for being so generous in providing the details of your interview experience.
I love these details!! You're almost done with USCIS. Happy times!

Quick question, although it's already implied in your post, I just want to confirm if you did apply based on your marriage to a USC?
I'll be applying based on that as well and now, I'm trying to organize additional documents like bank statements, utility bills etc.
It's good to know that you brought such to the interview and when the IO did ask to see them you were armed to the teeth.
Was the IO very particular with the dates? For example, did he ask to see a few bills under a certain year, spanning the time you got married to the present day? Or did he ask to see the most recent ones. Just curious. Thanks.

Hi there.. the interview went well!!!.. I passed!. this is what happened.
First you get sworn in, right hand, tell truth etc. etc
Then the officer goes through all your N-400 form, (name, address, employer, where have you lived in the last 3 years, [exact addresses and dates], when was the last time you left the US, name of spouse, birth-dates, when did you start working?.
he checks all your trips outside the US against your passport stamps, so if you have more than 1 passport because they expired make sure to bring them.
The officer was not mean/grumpy at all, he was straight forward, and of course I was not expecting to be talking to my best friend either, but he was very respectful, polite and to the point so this definitely made it less difficult on me.
After going trough all the N-400 (comunist, arrested, prostitution question.., ) he said "now we are moving forward to your English tests".
He took a piece of paper with 3 sentences, A, B and C. he said to "read" line A, probably a 5 word sentence, so don't expect to be reading a book in there :)
Then it was the writing text, same thing, in a piece of paper there were 3 spaces, A, B & C, and he said a sentence (same thing, 5 word sentence) and I had to write it.

These pieces of paper are pre-printed, so the writing test and reading test are not randomly chosen by the officer, they have your name on top, and my guess is that they have A, B & C because you have 3 chances to pass these exams.

The officer also writes down ALL your responses and checks the Yes or no ones.

And finally my civic questions:
6 out of 10, once you respond correctly the 6 questions the officer does not ask you the rest,
they were exactly the same as the ones in the Citizenship guidebook,
1.- If the president and vice president are not longer in service who becomes the president
2.- how many senators
3.- how often do we vote for senators
4.- name one branch
5.- what does the president's cabinet do?
6.- cant remember, sorry... to much excitement.

and again these questions are pre-printed and the officer writes down your responses in these forms.

After that he said congratulations, you passed!!! (WHAT A RELIEF) so I had to sign the bottom of my N-400 and another piece of paper stating that I passed.
I also signed my photographs, and he said that my case was going to be recommended for approval.

One more thing.. he went through all my back up documents that I had with me.... bank statements, bills, taxes, photographs (collages), and he kept those for his records, also a copy of my marriage certificate, I prepared photocopies for him (attorney's advice), and this really seemed to help!

I asked the attorney right before the interview if I was to pass would I get my oath letter that same day?? he said that sometimes this happens but sometimes they say that you will get the oath letter in the mail within 3-4 weeks.
Anyway... he said I should not worry, but I am still crossing fingers hoping everything went well.
So far the officer said congratulations, you passed, wait for the letter and take care :)
I'll be sitting next to the mailbox for the next few days :):):):):p:p

please let me know if you have further questions.. . I know what you are going through and believe me I understand the stress you can be under, but you are not alone.., just be a good resident, pay your taxes, don't commit any crimes and you should be good to go.

cheers. !!!!!

hello "googlemethis".. thank you very much.
I applied based on marriage (3 yr rule), and yes, the IO wanted to see bank statements, credit card statements, bills, under both of our names.. I brought bills and statements for the last 3-4 months an current obviously.... and also 1 very old of each.. (just in case) but he only asked me for the recent ones.. some IO might be different. I brought the telephone, cellphone, rent/loan, PG&E, credit card, savings and checking acct.
But remember to make copies of these docs, do not hole punch them, they can do it for you.also prepare a collage of pictures showing you and your husband or wife and pictures with your parents and his/her parents.
if you have kids, bring their birth certificates and also birth certificate of your USC spouse. (and copies as well for their records)

About the amount of copies that you should bring, well.. I guess you have to considerate this yourself.. do not bring a whole "bible of docs" but also do not bring just 5 page of copies...
One more thing.... bring a payroll stub or a copy of your W-4 where it shows where you are working and that your status is "married".

take care.. If you have further questions please let me know, I will be happy to help.

I applied based on marriage (3 yr rule), and yes, the IO wanted to see bank statements, credit card statements, bills, under both of our names.. I brought bills and statements for the last 3-4 months an current obviously.... and also 1 very old of each.. (just in case) but he only asked me for the recent ones.. some IO might be different. I brought the telephone, cellphone, rent/loan, PG&E, credit card, savings and checking acct.
But remember to make copies of these docs, do not hole punch them, they can do it for you.also prepare a collage of pictures showing you and your husband or wife and pictures with your parents and his/her parents.
if you have kids, bring their birth certificates and also birth certificate of your USC spouse. (and copies as well for their records)

About the amount of copies that you should bring, well.. I guess you have to considerate this yourself.. do not bring a whole "bible of docs" but also do not bring just 5 page of copies...
One more thing.... bring a payroll stub or a copy of your W-4 where it shows where you are working and that your status is "married".

take care.. If you have further questions please let me know, I will be happy to help.

sfbus, thank you so much for the tips and the prompt reply! I'd definitely heed your advice and get busy gathering additional documents to support my N-400. You're awesome!
Congrats again and I wish your oath letter arrives in the mail soon.

thank you so much,
sfbus95, for sharing your experience,
i just have one question,
did you send anything with your N400 and later was asked again for the same stuff?
I guess, the question is whether it is just better to bring everything to the interview than sending too much in the mail.
thanks again

I just wanted to share my recent experience at the SF DO.

I had my interview on 4/8/2010. The interview went smoothly, only took about 20 minutes. At the end, the officer said congratulations, I passed everything, they'll be sending me a letter shortly to schedule the oath ceremony, hopefully in April, but if not in May. He gave me form N-652 and checked the box saying I passed the english and history test and also the box that says "USCIS will send you a written decision about your application".

Today is 5/20/2010 and I haven't received my oath letter. I went to an infopass appointment on 5/13 and they told me that they are still working on my case and that I need to wait up to 90 days before I should inquire again about my status. When I check my status online, it says "Testing and Interview".

Why is it taking so long??? As you can imagine, this is really frustrating!

Hi alvargs,

did you file under 3 year rule or 5 year rule?
If under 3 year rule, are you still married to the same USC or divorced?
Could you share what question were you asked during the interview, what documentation were you asked to present?

I just wanted to share my recent experience at the SF DO.

I had my interview on 4/8/2010. The interview went smoothly, only took about 20 minutes. At the end, the officer said congratulations, I passed everything, they'll be sending me a letter shortly to schedule the oath ceremony, hopefully in April, but if not in May. He gave me form N-652 and checked the box saying I passed the english and history test and also the box that says "USCIS will send you a written decision about your application".

Today is 5/20/2010 and I haven't received my oath letter. I went to an infopass appointment on 5/13 and they told me that they are still working on my case and that I need to wait up to 90 days before I should inquire again about my status. When I check my status online, it says "Testing and Interview".

Why is it taking so long??? As you can imagine, this is really frustrating!

Hi Lolitochka,

I applied under the 5 year rule (I've been an LPR for almost 20 years!).

The IO asked me the usual questions, went over my N-400 application. I did have one arrest 15 years ago for underage drinking, which I mentioned on my application. I got asked the six history questions, read a sentence, write a sentence and that was it. Very easy. He didn't ask me anything unusal.
The only documentation that I included in my applicatoin was a letter from the court about my arrest (the records have been deleted though b/c its been over 10 years).

Maybe thats why there is a little delay because the IO did not see the original court docket minutes, since the record was expunged.
It is always a good idea to keep certified court papers with original charge, plea, and the final decision.
I hope you will receive your oath letter very soon,
good luck:)

Hi Lolitochka,

I applied under the 5 year rule (I've been an LPR for almost 20 years!).

The IO asked me the usual questions, went over my N-400 application. I did have one arrest 15 years ago for underage drinking, which I mentioned on my application. I got asked the six history questions, read a sentence, write a sentence and that was it. Very easy. He didn't ask me anything unusal.
The only documentation that I included in my applicatoin was a letter from the court about my arrest (the records have been deleted though b/c its been over 10 years).

My N-400 packet should be in AZ lockbox anytime soon, today actually. I'm so excited and nervous at the same time! And now the waiting game begins for me.
Good luck to us all!

My spouse received the Oath Letter for 6/17 at Oakland.
I am still waiting. Our time lines are same till now.

Hi all,

I took oath today 5/26 in Oakland. Very smooth ceremony, we were asked to at Paramont theater by 9:15AM, all was done by 10:40AM.
Couple of things

-my interview was before eligibility date, received oath letter 14 dates after eligibility date. So do not worry about having interview early I think SF DO has system in place to deal with those cases.

-In Oath letter they mention few items to bring, but do not stress about it, only items they really care is signed oath letter and GC.

Best of luck to all waiting.

My timeline

02/01/10: N-400 Mailed to Phoenix
02/03/10: N-400 received in Phoenix
02/10/10: Notice date
02/10/10: Cash checked
02/17/10: NOA received
03/01/10: FP letter received
03/03/2010: FP date
03/13/10: IL received
04/19/10: ID (decision cannot be made, 5 year rule)
04/28/10: Eligibility date
5/12/10: OL
5/26/10: Oath date