Misc. OCI Application Questions

How to buy/send prepaid envelope?

How to buy/send prepaid envelope?

I searched but couldn't find. Visited usps but they couldn't answer either.

How to I buy prepaid express USPS envelope?
Can I buy prepaid priority envelope? how?
Can I buy prepaid UPS/Fedex envelope? how?

And How do I send this?

Thanks for the help.

First, you need to open an account with carrier. You will give credit card details for that. Then you can just fill in return slip details with your account and pay by receipent.

Washable ink?

Hello,

Does any one know where I can get the washable ink to put my infant son's thumb impression on the PIO application?

Thanks,
Speedy1027

I used the ink that comes with taking baby/kids hand/foot prints. You get it in Walmat or target.

Part B Q 16
Does the country of applicant(s) permit dual citizenship in some form or other.
If no, give specific details

I am in USA, I beleive answer would be Yes. Just wanna confrim

Part B Q 22. Will just the name of father do, He is Indian citizen

Why OCI has so much restriction about Photo without white background.
I got Photo with white background. Isn't that the norm accepted worldwide.

Also, by Msitake I got 2 USANI***** number, I by mistake did back button.
DOes it matter which application I send, or I need to send the 2nd one

I never got this requirements of having non white background
Its world wide accepted norm of white background.
But alas, CGI NYI or OCI folks need to do something different.

for anyone, did pic with white background was accepted at CGI- NY

Part B Q 16
Does the country of applicant(s) permit dual citizenship in some form or other.
If no, give specific details

I am in USA, I beleive answer would be Yes. Just wanna confrim
<< The answer is YES>>

Part B Q 22. Will just the name of father do, He is Indian citizen
<< Yes, that would be fine>>

Why OCI has so much restriction about Photo without white background.
I got Photo with white background. Isn't that the norm accepted worldwide.
<<If it's like regular US passport photos, it should be fine>>

Also, by Msitake I got 2 USANI***** number, I by mistake did back button.
DOes it matter which application I send, or I need to send the 2nd one
<<You can send either one>>

Hope that helps.

What happens to child passport? and..

We parents are becoming USA citizens but have second thoughts as we are planning to go back. Here are the questions.

1. My child who is born in USA but have taken a Indian Passport ( by registration) and currently holds it. He doesn't have US passport. Does he loose his Indian Citizenship if we,the parents, become the US citizens?

2. I understand that many of the past Indian citizens living as a OCI in India, upon acquiring US citizenship. What are the implications are that? mean under what circumstances a person can loose OCI and forced to leave the country?

3. I read in some posts like OCI is like NRI status. Does it really? What does it take to get the Indian Citizenship back?

Thanks.

We parents are becoming USA citizens but have second thoughts as we are planning to go back. Here are the questions.

1. My child who is born in USA but have taken a Indian Passport ( by registration) and currently holds it. He doesn't have US passport. Does he loose his Indian Citizenship if we,the parents, become the US citizens?

-----------------------Child does not loose Indian citizenship. when he turns 18 he can claim US citizenship as Child is born in US. I dont understand why you did not got US citizenship for the Child.

2. I understand that many of the past Indian citizens living as a OCI in India, upon acquiring US citizenship. What are the implications are that?

----------------OCI is for life and can stay/work in India. No voting, no Govt job and cant buy agricultral land.

mean under what circumstances a person can loose OCI and forced to leave the country?
---------------You should read OCI rule and visit OCI site. If you work against India then you can be sent back or face the charges according to indian law.
3. I read in some posts like OCI is like NRI status. Does it really?
--------------- NRI can have Indian passport and OCI gets OCI booklet and U visa for life in US passport. Banks treat NRI or POI same way and both can have NRO and NRE accounts.
What does it take to get the Indian Citizenship back?
-------- if you get OCI and stay 1 year in Indian in 5 years then you can get Indian citizenship. It is not for Pakistani or Bangladesi.

Thanks.
--------------------------

Suriyan and DonLogan, let us know how it works out. I thought of the same thing, but I actually need to get it as soon as possible, so decided to follow the rules as best I could.

Plan is to get my US passport on Tuesday (has been mailed). Get a visa and cancel the Indian passport on Wednesday. File OCI on Thursday/Friday.

Just lining up the ducks in order to do that.

You don’t need to get Indian passport canceled Before you send OCI application. You apply OCI with Copy of your Indian passport and once the OCI documents reach Consulate from Delhi and you get OCI booklet and U visa in US passport at that time Indian consulate cancel the Indian passport.

I forgot to stick the photographs on the application, but written the name on the back of photo for each applicant and sent them alongwith application. Can that be an issue?

Ginnu,

Appreciate your answers. But the following are not clear to me.

-----------------------Child does not loose Indian citizenship. when he turns 18 he can claim US citizenship as Child is born in US. I dont understand why you did not got US citizenship for the Child.

>>> Can the child still use Indian Passport? Are still he be considered OCI for the 18 years?

2. I understand that many of the past Indian citizens living as a OCI in India, upon acquiring US citizenship. What are the implications are that?

----------------OCI is for life and can stay/work in India. No voting, no Govt job and cant buy agricultral land.

mean under what circumstances a person can loose OCI and forced to leave the country?
---------------You should read OCI rule and visit OCI site. If you work against India then you can be sent back or face the charges according to indian law.

>>> Now, I realized, I need to do that ( once I am loosing what I have taken granted so far). Thank you.

--------------- NRI can have Indian passport and OCI gets OCI booklet and U visa for life in US passport. Banks treat NRI or POI same way and both can have NRO and NRE accounts.
-------- if you get OCI and stay 1 year in Indian in 5 years then you can get Indian citizenship. It is not for Pakistani or Bangladesi.

>>> does that mean one has to wait for 5 years? or say one stays 3 years and decides get Indian citizenship, would he be able to get?

--------------------------

Ginnu,

>>> Can the child still use Indian Passport? Are still he be considered OCI for the 18 years?
<<Yes, he can retain his Indian Passport. I am not sure what the second question above means.>>

>>> Now, I realized, I need to do that ( once I am loosing what I have taken granted so far). Thank you.

>>> does that mean one has to wait for 5 years? or say one stays 3 years and decides get Indian citizenship, would he be able to get?
<<Yes, you can reacquire Indian citizenship 5 years after you are granted OCI and stay in India for at least a year during that period. See http://www.immihelp.com/nri/pio-vs-oci.html>>

Hope that helps.

You don’t need to get Indian passport canceled Before you send OCI application. You apply OCI with Copy of your Indian passport and once the OCI documents reach Consulate from Delhi and you get OCI booklet and U visa in US passport at that time Indian consulate cancel the Indian passport.

3 year old thread resurrected by gc_ka. I think the original OPs are not watching this thread any more.

I have a related question on NRO / NRE. I am in India, and am hearing different stories from different people.

#1. Accounts - some say I can open resident account after being in India for 180 days, some say I can not.

#2. Investments - some say I can do online investments such as with icicidirect. Some say I can not and have to go through PIS (Portfolio Investment Scheme) only.

#3. PAN Card. Most of the people I met say I do not need to update PAN card to say I am a USC. I am not sure.

Status is USC with OCI.

Any other pointers on financial dos and dont's will be helpful.

From my side, I am planning to ask a seasoned CA for advice in writing so that I can use this ... if it ever comes to talking to tax people.

Ginnu,

********************* Child can keep the Indian passport with indian passport why he need OCI? Child was born in US and he may be having US birth certificate and when he turns 18 he can get US citizenship or Can apply for US passport. He did not choose India as his Citizenship it is parents who choose his Indian Citizenship.If he gets US passport after age 18 then he cant keep Indian passport and can get OCI.

-------------------Stay in India for minimum 1 year and can apply Indian Citizenship after 5 years from getting OCI.
-----------------

go to post office and buy express mail stamp which is $17.50 and stick it on the USPS envelope. attach the address label "sel addressed" to you and make a note of the tracking number. Attach it with ur OCI Application. [

QUOTE=adawra;2135434]How to buy/send prepaid envelope?

And How do I send this?

Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

go to post office and buy express mail stamp which is $17.50 and stick it on the USPS envelope. attach the address label "sel addressed" to you and make a note of the tracking number. Attach it with ur OCI Application. [

QUOTE=adawra;2135434]How to buy/send prepaid envelope?

And How do I send this?

Thanks for the help.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks

US Passport

Ho Folks
This is for US Passport Holder
I am preparing to send my OCI docs, of which I need to send Copy of US Passport.
I took copy of page 2 and 3 and last page
While copying I noticed on page 3

We the people (Section)

Signature of Bearer

Are we suppose to sign this on US Passport. Does anyone recollect signing anything on Original US passport, or did anyone send OCI App without signing on this Page 3

Any info would be appereciated. Please all the OCI applicant from US, share your Exp