Misc. OCI Application Questions

To Jackinthe,

Did you received your Stamped Passport from Indian Consulate yet? Mine and your dates are very much same.

Thanks,

To Jackinthe,

Did you received your Stamped Passport from Indian Consulate yet? Mine and your dates are very much same.

Thanks,

Could you please post your timeline? (I have not seen "Acknowledgement" (on the Status webpage) since my packet was delievered at the consulate, Dec. 30th)

a couple of questions

Am waiting for my interview etc. In preparation for the day that I get approved, I had a couple of questions...

1) Can I apply before I get my US passport (I dont think so, but just thought I would ask).

2) My kids already have a PIO. What should I do to them.

3) If I was to move to India, can I apply for OCI from there. Does it take much longer. more hassle involved?

Am waiting for my interview etc. In preparation for the day that I get approved, I had a couple of questions...

1) Can I apply before I get my US passport (I dont think so, but just thought I would ask).
------------------ get US passport then apply for OCI
------------------- you can apply OCI for kids when apply your OCI.
3) If I was to move to India, can I apply for OCI from there. Does it take much longer. more hassle involved?
--------------- you CAN apply from India. why to spend on Visa then on OCI? apply OCI from US it is fast.
---------------

- You have to get your US Passport before applying - you need the passport information and you have to enclose a copy of your passport along with the application.

- You have 2 options
--- continue on PIO till they turn 18 or the PIO card is due for renewal - at which time you can apply to convert PIO to OCI status for a small fee.
--- Or, you can apply to convert them to OCI status along with your OCI application.

3) If I was to move to India, can I apply for OCI from there. Does it take much longer. more hassle involved?[/QUOTE]

- No, no hazzles. I know many people who get their citizenship, get a short-term tourist visa and go to India, and then apply for OCI in India. You may want to take this route if you need to travel to India urgently. It takes about 3-4 months for you to get your OCI in Houston.

If you need not travel to India in the next 4 months, then get your OCI and then travel.

Good luck.

How to keep Indian passport for application?

Soon I will be going for my oath ceremony for US citizenship. After that I plan to apply for OCI.

The rules for applying for OCI at the Indian embassy in SFO say that we should submit our last Indian passport along with our application.

But at the oath I will be asked to surrender my passport. Is there any way around this? Because if I don't have my Indian passport then for OCI I need to submit....

* Copy of domicile certificate, or any photo ID issued by the Government of India or of a State of India such as: Voter ID, or
* Copy of Indian Birth Certificate, and
* Copy of Indian Educational certificates, and
* Copy of Naturalization certificate issued by the country of current nationality of the applicant, and
* Affidavit

I have my Indian birth certificate and I'll have my naturalization certificate. But these conditions has the word AND in between. I don't have any Indian educational certificates. So I don't have all the documents.

What do I do???????

Leaving US after applying for OCI

Hi,
I want to apply for OCI (CGINY) but I could leave US in next 2-3 weeks and work in India (possibly by taking a work visa or PIO). I want to know what will happen to my OCI application?

If anyone has any knowledge about this then please let me know

appreciate your help
thanks
Ranjan

Hi,
I want to apply for OCI (CGINY) but I could leave US in next 2-3 weeks and work in India (possibly by taking a work visa or PIO).
------------------I dont think you will get OCI in 2-3 weeks from the date you send OCI application to NYC. it is taking around 45-60 days.
I want to know what will happen to my OCI application?
---------------Why to file with NYC if going out in 2-3 weeks? get PIO and then from India you can file OCI.if with PIO staying more than 180 days you must registar with FRRO.

If anyone has any knowledge about this then please let me know

appreciate your help
thanks
Ranjan

----------------

Soon I will be going for my oath ceremony for US citizenship. After that I plan to apply for OCI.

The rules for applying for OCI at the Indian embassy in SFO say that we should submit our last Indian passport along with our application.

But at the oath I will be asked to surrender my passport.
------------They dont have any right to keep your Indian passport it belongs to you and Govt of India. They dont take your Indian passport they take GC.

Is there any way around this? Because if I don't have my Indian passport then for OCI I need to submit....

* Copy of domicile certificate, or any photo ID issued by the Government of India or of a State of India such as: Voter ID, or
* Copy of Indian Birth Certificate, and
* Copy of Indian Educational certificates, and
* Copy of Naturalization certificate issued by the country of current nationality of the applicant, and
* Affidavit

I have my Indian birth certificate and I'll have my naturalization certificate. But these conditions has the word AND in between. I don't have any Indian educational certificates. So I don't have all the documents.

What do I do???????

-------They dont take Indian passport.

Hi ginnu,
thanks for your reply. The issue is the time frame. As of now I don't know, I could leave in 2-3 weeks or it could take more than 45-60 days. My question is what will happen to my application if I have to leave before I get OCI

Hi ginnu,
thanks for your reply. The issue is the time frame. As of now I don't know, I could leave in 2-3 weeks or it could take more than 45-60 days. My question is what will happen to my application if I have to leave before I get OCI

Generally you need to be a resident of that state and apply to the consulate/embassy that has jurisdiction over that state. By moving (i meant changing your residency) you no longer are a resident over which the consulate has jurisdiction.

The consulate would not have any idea over your move, as long as somebody could collect your OCI card and passport and you are able to send your US passport to the consulate.

Hi ginnu,
thanks for your reply. The issue is the time frame. As of now I don't know, I could leave in 2-3 weeks or it could take more than 45-60 days.
-------------------If you are sure that you will be in US for 45-60 days from the date you mail your OCI application then only apply from US.

My question is what will happen to my application if I have to leave before I get OCI
------------------ US passport and Indian passport will be with you in India and you have to get PIO or Visa for India and you will enter India with PIO or Visa. OCI documents will be sent to Indian consulate in US from Delhi and your friend in US can collect your OCI documents if you send him your US passport and Indian passport after the documents reach US(he will need your letter to collet) and again he has to send your US passport and OCI booklet to you in India. I will not take that risk. You may also face problem with India immigration at Airport when you come back as you have entred India with Visa or PIO but your passport will show OCI document U Visa stamped. I will NOT take the Risk. I will apply from India Or if I am sure that I will be in US for 45-60 days then I will apply from US.

--------------------

Please advise-- I'm a bit tight on time...

I'm an Indian citizen living in Los Angeles, soon to be a naturalized US citizen. My oath ceremony is on February 5. I need to leave for India for a few months on March 25.

What I'd like to do is apply for a US passport on the day after my oath. Once my passport arrives, apply for OCI at the SFO consulate. Do I have enough time for all this??

I had another idea: play it safe and apply for an entry visa to go to India and then apply for OCI once I return to the US. But this plan has a flaw.. the first time I apply for an Indian visa, I have to surrender my latest Indian passport. Without it, I will have trouble applying for OCI later. Any suggestions??

I'm an Indian citizen living in Los Angeles, soon to be a naturalized US citizen.

My oath ceremony is on February 5.

I need to leave for India for a few months on March 25.

What I'd like to do is apply for a US passport on the day after my oath. Once my passport arrives, apply for OCI at the SFO consulate. Do I have enough time for all this??
------------- Not enough time to get OCI in hand.
I had another idea: play it safe and apply for an entry visa to go to India and then apply for OCI once I return to the US. But this plan has a flaw.. the first time I apply for an Indian visa, I have to surrender my latest Indian passport.Without it, I will have trouble applying for OCI later. Any suggestions??

-----------You don’t have to surrender Indian passport when apply for India Visa they will cancel the Indian passport with “Cancelled Stamp” and return it to you. You should also keep copy of your Indian passport with you. For OCI you only need evidence that you were Indian citizen and cancelled passport is evidence.
***If I am in your situation I will postpone the Oath and will visit India and then I will take the oath when I come back to US and apply for US passport then OCI.
--------

"Family group" option questions

1. Has anybody here done the "Family Group" option for non-minor children? I have two kids aged 21 and 23.

2. Can you use the "Family Group" option for just husband and wife, and then handle the children separately? Or can you use it only if you have children?

Hi Ginnu I have similar case as *mranjank*
In such a case will it work....if I get visa, apply for OCI and go to india and track on website when it is available at consulate, fly back to USA, show US passport, get OCI booklet, and leave on OCI? I know it sounds weird to spend that kind of money, but want to know if strikes a good idea.

Hi Ginnu I have similar case as *mranjank*
In such a case will it work....if I get visa, apply for OCI and go to india and track on website when it is available at consulate, fly back to USA, show US passport, get OCI booklet, and leave on OCI? I know it sounds weird to spend that kind of money, but want to know if strikes a good idea.

Yes, that would definitely work.

1. Has anybody here done the "Family Group" option for non-minor children? I have two kids aged 21 and 23.

2. Can you use the "Family Group" option for just husband and wife, and then handle the children separately? Or can you use it only if you have children?

You can use family option for non-minor children. We were in a similar situation and successfully applied as a family.

No update on the OCI application. Please advise.

They received my OCI application 10 days back.

If I go to the status qnquiry page and enter my USASI # there is no update, no acknowledgement etc.
Dont know what is goin on or if there is any problem.

I had not sent self addressed envelope as I assumed that it could be sent once the application is approved.

One thing I am worried about it is that I had sent a certified check from Chase rather than postal money order.

Do you guys think this is an issue?

What should I do? I dont know if my application is having any problems and they are simply not responding as I did not include return mail?

Many people mention their updates within a week.

Please advise......