Marrying GC holder,please help

forex_dealer

Registered Users (C)
If a person who is out of status marries a GC holder,how long does it take to adjust the status?
I hear that it is about 3-4 years.If so,what will be the status of the applicant?Will it be pending?Can the person legally stay in the country during that period?Can the person get EAD,social security and travel card?
Please advise,
thanks in advance!

how long does it take to adjust the status?
will not be able to adjust until the spouse becomes a citizen.

If so,what will be the status of the applicant?
none whatsoever. FIling I-130 does not provide a status.

Can the person legally stay in the country during that period?
not unless they are maintaining some other kind of non-immigrant status.

Can the person get EAD,social security and travel card?
no. They could get SSN if their non-immigrant status allows for it (student, work visa).

So marrying a GC holder can not help you at all? What can you possibly do?Just wait until your spouse becomes a citizen and then apply for AOS?

So marrying a GC holder can not help you at all? What can you possibly do?Just wait until your spouse becomes a citizen and then apply for AOS?

Yes, just wait till your spouse becomes a US Citizen.
IF on the other hand, you will be "on status", meaning H or F visa... you can adjust your status with ur GC holder spouse... but it will take 5 to 6 years... almost the same time and your spouse becoming a U.S. Citizen.

Also remember that Marriage = LOVE

Spouse will become citizen in 5 years,so this is a pretty desperate situation.I didn't think it would be so complicated.

Well you can just go illegal and then AOS in 5 years. A USC can petition to forgive you being out of status for so long. Of course you can't travel outside the US or work (legally). Usually I don't recommend this course of action, but seeing all the talk about amnesty for illegal immigrants and no improvement to the totally broken legal immigration path maybe its worth considering ...

Well you can just go illegal and then AOS in 5 years. ...

If you are sure that in 5 years you are still married to that USC. So far, it looks like you are waiting for this marriage to solve your immigration problems, rather than regular marriage stuff - like marrying for love to be together.

Nobody forces people to move to the USA. If you can't deal with the laws and regulations then go back home. You can't come and DEMAND that things are "easier".

To all righteous people:
This is not my situation,I am just trying to get some help for another person.And I am only seeking advise from people who have experience,you can keep all unrelated stuff to yourself.
Praetorian,last I checked this is a forum and people post here to advise and get advises,if you don't have any constructive input,don't stink here.You are not a 33 degree mason and don't own this country.
To all others who have advised,thank you..

Last edited by a moderator:
To all righteous people:
This is not my situation,I am just trying to get some help for another person.And I am only seeking advise from people who have experience,you can keep all unrelated stuff to yourself.
Praetorian,last I checked this is a forum and people post here to advise and get advises,if you don't have any constructive input,don't stink here.You are not a 33 degree mason and don't own this country.
To all others who have advised,thank you..

This IS a PUBLIC forum. If you don't want to hear criticism along with advices. Then YOU take your business elsewhere, get a lawyer or a shrink.

If you question whether I contribute to this forum or not, you may be in for a rude awakening Mr. " I joined 3 years ago and have posted 39 times "...

I can not stand people who get themselves in tricky situations and then cry "foul". You are right, I am not the "owner" of this country, but I do know the Rules and play by them...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you can just go illegal and then AOS in 5 years. A USC can petition to forgive you being out of status for so long. Of course you can't travel outside the US or work (legally). Usually I don't recommend this course of action, but seeing all the talk about amnesty for illegal immigrants and no improvement to the totally broken legal immigration path maybe its worth considering ...

Personally, I don't think the system is broken. I think it's likely bogged down by having to put up with unnecessary situations like the one you're providing.

This IS a PUBLIC forum. If you don't want to hear criticism along with advices. Then YOU take your business elsewhere, get a lawyer or a shrink.

If you question whether I contribute to this forum or not, you may be in for a rude awakening Mr. " I joined 3 years ago and have posted 39 times "...

I can not stand people who get themselves in tricky situations and then cry "foul". You are right, I am not the "owner" of this country, but I do know the Rules and play by them...

Do not be coy praetorianXI, I would rather refrain myself from making useless posts,if you have nothing to say to the point,then keep going. Don't give me this crap about hating people who don't know the rules and who cry. There is nothing to criticize here,you are in no position to criticize somebody. There maybe millions of reasons for what happened. Anyway, this is an absolutely useless post, but I couldn't resist. I am done here.

Do not be coy praetorianXI, I would rather refrain myself from making useless posts,if you have nothing to say to the point,then keep going. Don't give me this crap about hating people who don't know the rules and who cry. There is nothing to criticize here,you are in no position to criticize somebody. There maybe millions of reasons for what happened. Anyway, this is an absolutely useless post, but I couldn't resist. I am done here.

*leech* come and get what you need and leave... what good is that?

*leech* come and get what you need and leave... what good is that?

I have been off these forums for a while but every now and then I come back to read to see what's going on with world of immigration. I will have to submit my I-751 Late next year, until now I have nothing to do with immigration.

However, I wanted to comment on this guy PraetorianXI. Really, dude, you don't do any good by posting stuff like you posted on this thread. I know you are pretty familiar with immigration laws and that you came in B-2 and married here and underwent immigration porcess as some of us here.

But when someone is crying for help, a kind advise or moral support would be appreciated, even if you have bad news for the OP you should still be nice about it.

For perspective, my dad passed away on month 4 of my immigration process. I was still waiting for my GC Interview letter and only had EAD but no Travel Document. I came in B-2 and got married in miami. So when my family called and told me what had happened to my father I was devastated and went to Immigration office and couldn't get an Emergency AP, so I said "fuck it" and went to my dad's funeral. 12 days later I came into MIA with my wife, EAD, pay stubs, and was allowed back in.

So I wonder, if I had posted here to cry for help what would your response have been, prolly same as my lawyer's "stay or you will not be allowed back in and your immigration will have to continue in your country and you will have to wait 1-2 years outside of US", or and even mor praetorian "don't cry for help if you messed up your application documents, should of applied for AP in the 1st place".

But quite frankly, when I made my decision of leaving without knowing if I was going to be back I thought "I am not dying to be here in US, I'm only here cuz my wife is from here and she said that she wanted to live here instead of the country I was working in so if I don't come back I don't give a damn." Things will happen as they are meant to happen, remember that and maybe you can add it to ur signature too. By the way, the country I was working before I moved to US was venezuela, and worked for a huge Fortune500 company that had its building in La Trinidad and I am not venezuelan, I'm guatemalan.

So the point is, please try to be more helpful to people rather than opinionated as it will let you live a better life.

I have been off these forums for a while but every now and then I come back to read to see what's going on with world of immigration. I will have to submit my I-751 Late next year, until now I have nothing to do with immigration.

However, I wanted to comment on this guy PraetorianXI. Really, dude, you don't do any good by posting stuff like you posted on this thread. I know you are pretty familiar with immigration laws and that you came in B-2 and married here and underwent immigration porcess as some of us here.

But when someone is crying for help, a kind advise or moral support would be appreciated, even if you have bad news for the OP you should still be nice about it.

For perspective, my dad passed away on month 4 of my immigration process. I was still waiting for my GC Interview letter and only had EAD but no Travel Document. I came in B-2 and got married in miami. So when my family called and told me what had happened to my father I was devastated and went to Immigration office and couldn't get an Emergency AP, so I said "fuck it" and went to my dad's funeral. 12 days later I came into MIA with my wife, EAD, pay stubs, and was allowed back in.

So I wonder, if I had posted here to cry for help what would your response have been, prolly same as my lawyer's "stay or you will not be allowed back in and your immigration will have to continue in your country and you will have to wait 1-2 years outside of US", or and even mor praetorian "don't cry for help if you messed up your application documents, should of applied for AP in the 1st place".

But quite frankly, when I made my decision of leaving without knowing if I was going to be back I thought "I am not dying to be here in US, I'm only here cuz my wife is from here and she said that she wanted to live here instead of the country I was working in so if I don't come back I don't give a damn." Things will happen as they are meant to happen, remember that and maybe you can add it to ur signature too. By the way, the country I was working before I moved to US was venezuela, and worked for a huge Fortune500 company that had its building in La Trinidad and I am not venezuelan, I'm guatemalan.

So the point is, please try to be more helpful to people rather than opinionated as it will let you live a better life.

You ever heard the saying,"What goes around comes around?" he can be very rude alot of times, insult people, but carma is great!