Maintaining a GC without being in the US

bhartiya_12

Registered Users (C)
One of my friends got his GC(job based GC) and had to move back to India almost immediately due to the economic downturn.

He wants to maintain his GC if he can and wants to know if there are any option if any on how this can be achieved with him not being in US most of the year.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

One of my friends got his GC(job based GC) and had to move back to India almost immediately due to the economic downturn.

He wants to maintain his GC if he can and wants to know if there are any option if any on how this can be achieved with him not being in US most of the year.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

He can maintain the card but no way to keep the status this way.

If he comes to the US for a short trip of about a week and goes back and continues to do that until he wants to come back will that work?

He can come back to the US and apply for a Re-Entry Permit which will allow him to be outside the US for upto 2 years, but he can't keep this up forever.

Honestly, I think he wants to stay in India but since he got his GC (it was a surprise to him as well) he wants to try his best to maintain the option. He might come here for a week or so for a few years as long as it can help him maintain his GC status.

That's not going to work. Green Card is called Permanent Resident Card for a reason. If he's not intending to reside in the US why bother with trips - eventually he will be stopped and stripped of his green card due to not residing in the US. Otherwise, move to the US for 5 years and get citizenship then move wherever else.

What he wants to do is not going to work. Make up his mind. Either he stays here and keeps the GC or forget about his GC.