Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

hi jwong2010,

it's totally up to you if you want to do it beforehand. i think if you look at the bigger picture, the time you may "save" by doing the FP sooner is really not that big of a difference. and besides, there is no guarantee if you will actually speed things up by doing your FP before your scheduled date. so, if it is a big concern, for your peace of mind, i suggest that you wait =) just go with whatever you feel is the right thing to do.

you will soon be able to file for your wife. isn't it exciting? haha i feel like finally things are falling into place. but oh boy, the filing fees are ridiculously expensive! best of luck to you!

Yellow Letter

Guys,

Today I received the so-called "Yellow Letter" (dated 12/10/09)
asking me to bring my state ID/DL and all passports (including
expired and current) to the interview.

I haven't even done the FP yet. I thought I was scheduled for
the interview already when I first saw it.

The yellow letter's title is:
"Case File Review Notice / Interview Document Check List"

It also further says it is a general checklist. If your situation
requires further details, you will be notified.

End of the (never ending) story...

-_-'

Hi Tracer:

You are absolutely right. We must do what we feel it is the right
thing to do. That's how this great country was founded and run
up until this day.

Peace for y'al out there !

:cool:

My Journey begins :

Application mailed : 12/12/2009 (Phoenix lockbox)
Application Arrived at USCIS: 12/14/2009 (As per USPS)
Check Cashed:
NOA:
PD:
FP Notice:
FP Date:
IL:
ID:
OL:
OD:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received the Interview Letter dated scheduled for 2/10/2010 at the LA Field Office....things are rolling along nicely =)

Jwong,
I was debating till the last moment. Finally decided to include my name change in app. Hope it does not delay it
Ardaviraf

Thank you for the Oath Schedule Kabaca.
I wonder when I receive my OL, passed the interview on Dec 9th - I thought I can go to the 18th Oath, but didn't receive anything till today :(

Here is my timeline:
DATE STATUS
05-Sep-09 Application sent to Phoenix, AZ-Day 1
08-Sep-09 USCIS Received Application-Day 3
08-Sep-09 Priority Date-Day 3
14-Sep-09 Check Cleared-Day 9
17-Sep-09 Notice of Action Received-Day 12
26-Sep-09 Finger Print Notice, 10/08 not needed-Day 21
28-Sep-09 Finger Print Done (walk in)-Day 23
15-Oct-09 Case transferred to Local Office-Day 40
16-Oct-09 Interview Letter-Day 41
09-Dec-09 Interview Date (passed)-Day 95
?? Oath Notice
?? Oath Date (Citizen)

Hi Guys,

Here are some new dates for coming Oath Cermonies in L.A.

December 18, 2009 (Fri.) LACC* 6,000 9:00 a.m. My wife is going to this one
December 18, 2009 (Fri.) LACC* 6,000 2:00 p.m.

January 08, 2010 (Fri.) LACC* 6,000 9:00 a.m.
January 08, 2010 (Fri.) LACC* 6,000 2:00 p.m.
January 21, 2010 (Thu.) U.S.D.C. (L.A.) 75 1:30 p.m.

February 05, 2010 (Fri.) Quiet Cannon** 900 9:00 a.m.
February 05, 2010 (Fri.) Quiet Cannon** 900 11:00 a.m.
February 05, 2010 (Fri.) Quiet Cannon** 900 2:00 p.m.
February 19, 2010 (Fri.) Fairplex*** 3,500 9:00 a.m.
February 19, 2010 (Fri.) Fairplex*** 3,500 1:30 p.m.

Update :

Application mailed : 12/12/2009 (Phoenix lockbox)
Application Arrived at USCIS: 12/14/2009 (As per USPS)
Check Cashed: 12/18/2009
NOA:
PD:
FP Notice:
FP Date:
IL:
ID:
OL:
OD:

Los Angeles time-line:
Sent N-400 6/11/09
NOA 7/14/09 (PD of 6/12/09)
FP Notice 7/15/09
FP Date 7/30/09
IL: 8/4/09
ID: 9/22/09 (Los Angeles DO) Passed! BUT....
"nasty" and "difficult" AO gave me N-652 stating
"A decision cannot yet be made about your application"
"Please follow the instructions on Form WR-822"
"USCIS will send you a written decision about your application" :mad:
AO gave me Form WR-822 requesting 1)Copy of 2007 tax return 2) Copies of all pages of passport 3)Documentary proof of financial support from family/others
AO suggested I hand deliver documents to his office, and said I should hear from them in a few weeks :mad:
WR-822 and ALL requested documents HAND DELIVERED to AO's office on 9/25/09
On 11/11/2009, after previous numerous telephone inquiries, I was transferred to an IO, who said she would send an "expedite request" to the DAO that interviewed me :mad:
On 11/18/2009, received a "generic" "your case is in active review" letter :mad:
On 11/25/2009, spoke to another IO, who now said that the DAO who interviewed me was waiting for my A File, and it can take up to 1 year to receive an A File :confused: :mad:
Tired of waiting sent a 15 page passionate "complaint" letter on 11/25/2009(sent to everyone from The President down) :mad:
Received a letter on 12/10/2009 (dated 12/04/2009) inviting me to come in for an appointment on 12/14/2009 (at 9:30 a.m.) to “complete my N-400 naturalization application and affix my signature to my N-400 naturalization application. Signed by the Director of the Los Angeles DO and District Adjudication Officer (DAO) who interviewed me in September, 2009 :confused:
Attended appointment on 12/14/2009 - APPROVED :D
OL: 12/19/2009 :D
OD: 01/08/2010
PP/PC: (applied)
PP/PC: (received)

Why was that DAO so "nasty" and "difficult" ?

Was there something that struck his mind ?

Or was there something that instigated the whole onslaught
of extra documentation ?

The request of financial proof evidence was particularly
nasty indeed.

Man, I'm glad it's over for you.

And I sincerely hope it won't happen to any of us who
are still waiting in the slaughter house.
:mad:

Jwong2010

The DAO was either a bigot or he was mad at his wife :) I would like to think the latter was the case

Anyway, he made several innapropriate comments during the course of my interview, including insulting remarks regarding my country of origin; which is a strict Civil Rights Act "no no". He also assumed that I would be intimidated by him, but fortunately, I am educated, intelligent and articulate, and moreover I have lived in the U.S. for 28 years, so I know what my rights are as a Legal Permanent Resident.

I had been unemployed since the beginning of 2008 (due to the severe recession), and I was supported by my family (who is financially well off) and friends. I never collected unemployment benefits or Government Assistance. Even though I had filed income tax for the past seven years prior (2000-2007) and I was pursuing international business opportunities , as well as developing a business in the U.S. (evidence of all of this was presented to DAO); he insisted that I produce documentation that I have been receiving financial assistance from my family and friends. He was just being "difficult", and unfortunately, it was the luck of the draw for me.

I was clearly eligible for naturalization as I had met ALL USCIS's requirements for naturalization, and unemployment is NOT a legal or administrative reason to delay or deny a naturalization petition. USCIS will even tell you that you can be unemployed at the time of your interview, and many immigrants are unemployed when they are sworn-in. Moreover, providing proof of financial support from family/friends or proof of income, is not a valid requirement, especially as I had cleared FBI finger print, name, security and background checks and I am not from nor have I ever travelled to any country on DHS's "watch list".

To cut a long story short, I wrote a complaint letter to The President, Attorney General of the U.S., The Secretary, Department of Homeland Security (DHS), The Director, USCIS, The Director USCIS Office of Citizenship, The Director USCIS Office of Internal Audit (OIA), The Director USCIS Office of Security and Integrity (OSI), USCIS Ombudsman, my two California State U.S. Senators, my Congressman, ALL the members of the Senate Committee on The Judiciary, Subcommitte on Immigration, Refugees and Border Security, ALL the members of the House Committee on The Judiciary, Subcommittee on Immigration, Refugees and Border Security and my attorney. Needless to say, the problem was rectified VERY quickly, as you can see.

My case was unique, so I don't expect too many people to have a similar experience. However, if you have been unemployed for a period of time, be ready to show documented evidence of how you have been supporting yourself (unemployment benefits, savings, family/friends, e.t.c.) or the DAO might wrongly assume that you have been supporting yourself through illegal or shady activities, and may deny your petition on grounds of "bad moral character" (even though unemployment does not have any impact on a naturalization petition).

If anyone experiences this, at least, now they know that it is ILLEGAL for a DAO to do that.

" That only a few (1%), under any circumstances, protest against the injustice of long-established laws and customs, does not disprove the fact of the oppressions, while the satisfaction of the many (99%), if real, only proves their apathy and deeper degradation". – Elizabeth Cady Stanton

**DISCLAIMER**
I am neither a lawyer nor an immigration consultant. My comments should NEVER be considered as legal or professional advice as they are not meant to be such.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mind sharing his first name initial and last name for us?

I know when we get the interview letter, the interviewer's name
will be provided on the letter. That's how the lawyers can tell us
in advance if these interviewers were friendly or have been known
to display unfavorable characteristics.

Thanks.

The interviewer's name won't be on the Interview letter. The letter will mention only Date and time only.

Do you mind sharing his first name initial and last name for us?

I know when we get the interview letter, the interviewer's name
will be provided on the letter. That's how the lawyers can tell us
in advance if these interviewers were friendly or have been known
to display unfavorable characteristics.

Thanks.