Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

My timeline

03/06/07: Mailed to CSC
03/07/07: USPS Delivery Confirmation at CSC, 11:29AM.
03/20/07: NOA/Receipt received, PD of 03/07/07.
03/22/07: FP appointment received, appointment for 04/14/07.
04/14/07: FP's taken at El Monte ASC.
05/09/07: Rec'd NOA that "The FBI was unable to process your fingerprint card." Next FP re-take 05/30/07.
05/30/07: FP's taken for 2nd time. FP tech said that the FP's don't look good. :(

..waiting on next step or what we have to do..:confused:

(funny thing is when they did it the old way on the I-485 using wet prints no problem..)

They try taking your fingerprints 3 times (so maybe once more for you).

If they are unreadable all 3 times, they'll ask you to get a report from your local police department for every city you've lived in for the last 5 years stating that you have no arrests, etc. or if you do have arrests, the nature of the arrest, any charges filed.

The good thing is that the fingerprint process doesn't seem to be part of any sequence of processing, so you may not be delayed too much if at all. Assuming you have no name check issues, the biggest determinant of interview time seems to be the backlog at your local DO.

So, hopefully it works out well for you!

It's now really over.

I had my interview done today at the Santa Ana CSC office. The entire interview went very well. Here is my experience and tips:

1. Interview scheduled at 12:45pm; I arrived at 12:00 noon anyway.
2. Leave all personal electronics in the car, including cell phone, recording device and carmera. I was even ordered to take the jump drive, a 2-inche small piece, out of the bag afer x-rate security check.
3. The interview room is on the second floor of 34 Civic Center Building.
4. Called in for interview at 1:20pm(my advise: bring something to read, as I finish reading the entire World Street Journal while waiting).
5. Asked to show driver's license and green card.
6. Asked to write "I have a very clean house".
7. Asked 10 questions, which were all from the "Learn About the Unites States: Quick Civics Lessons" booklet. I got 10 out of 10.
8. Asked questions about job, tax return, my marriage, days travaled out of the U.S. and other stuff.
9. Asked to confirm the name change and signed paperwork.
10. Interview completed and was told that oath ceremony appointment notice will be sent to me within 90 days (I am hoping it will get here in 2 weeks).

The officer interviewed me was friendly. I was not nervous thru out the process although my palms were a little sweaty from wearing long sleeves shirt in a 85F hot summer afternoon. Good luck with you all.

My timeline:

12/26/06: Sent N400 package to CSC.
01/02/07: Package received by CSC.
01/11/07: Received fingerprint appointment in the mail.
01/19/07: Fingerprints done at Application Support Center in Santa Ana.
04/15/07: Received interview appointment letter in the mail.
06/04/07: Passed the interview.

To be updated.....

seems like CIS is stucked somewhere. anybody who got the interview letter in May or June please post, thanks...

seems like CIS is stucked somewhere. anybody who got the interview letter in May or June please post, thanks...

ditto.
i'm anxiously waiting for my interview notice as well.
anybody got one in late May and early June?

Timeline
03/06/2007: Application mailed
03/14/2007: Check cleared
03/21/2007: FP notification received
03/22/2007: FP done (walk-in) @Van Nuys ASC

Last edited by a moderator:
ditto.
i'm anxiously waiting for my interview notice as well.
anybody got one in late May and early June?

Please post your timeline aswell. thank you

11/06/06: Mailed to CSC
11/14/06: Priority Date
11/27/06: FP Notice Rcd
12/05/06: FP Date (Gardena CIS)
05/26/07: Interview Notice Rcd
07/13/07: Interview Date (Downtown LA)

my timeline:

2/14/07 - mailed to CSC
2/15/07 - priority date
3/15/07 - fingerprint data
still waiting for IL...

2/15/07 - Mailed to CSC
2/16/07 - Priority Date
3/21/07 - Fingerprint Data

Waiting for the interview letter.

Carson, CA

Sent: 05/24/2007
Prioirty Date: 5/25/2007
Notify Date: 06/04/2007 (check cashed)
Finger print Notice received:06/12/2007 (Today)
Finger Print Date: 06/22/2007 (Gardena, CIS)
Finger Print CompletionDt: 06/14/2007 ( went to local office ahead and finish the finger print process).
interview schedule date:12/03/2007

Hi!
I'm still puting information together. I'm aiming to send out the N-400 on July 16. However, I have to say that this site, in conjunction with the USCIS webiste and "The Guide" have truly been very informative. Thank you so much to the organizer of these forums. If everything goes well (God willing) I'll be very detailed about the events that take place.

Hi!
I'm still puting information together. I'm aiming to send out the N-400 on July 16. However, I have to say that this site, in conjunction with the USCIS webiste and "The Guide" have truly been very informative. Thank you so much to the organizer of these forums. If everything goes well (God willing) I'll be very detailed about the events that take place.

Looks like you and I will be sending in our N400s on the same day? I am eligible on Jul 14 but that's a Sat.

An update in my application.

Sent Application to CSC: 05/23/2007
Application received: 05/24/2007
Priority Date: 05/24/2007
Received Notice of Action: 06/08/2007
*Payment Check cleared*
FP Notice Received: 06/13/2007
FP Appointment Date: 07/06/2007

Will updates as soon as I receive my Interview letter, etc.

Hi!

Alect, good luck to you as well. This is so exciting but intidimating at the same time. This will be a nice experiment to see how we both "process" as we are submitting at the same time. Will post in a month's time! Until then "may the force be with you!"

Best,
Jedi.Knight

hi arashijing

We both are same time lines and suggetion for you. U can go to local INS office today to finish the finger print. you need not wait for your orginal date. I just did mine today and check my dates.

My Interview Experience

Petition Filed........................: 01/24/07
Priority Date........................: 01/26/07
Check Cashed......................: 01/29/07
Receipt Received..................: 02/02/07
FP Notice Received...............: 02/05/07
FP Done on.........................: 02/27/07
Interview Letter Received on..: 04/27/07
Interview Date.....................: 06/19/07
Oath Letter Received............: 06/19/07:)
Oath Date...........................: 07/06/07:)
-------------------------------------------------
I had my interview today at the Los Angeles District Office.

Reached the office 30 minutes before the scheduled time of 12:00 noon. I was called in at 12:20. the officer was very friendly.

First, he verified my personal information (SSN, DOB, Name, address, phone numbner etc) with what he has in the system. Then he asked me about my job and the employer who had processed my Green Card.

I had made a trip to India that lasted more than 6 months (6 months and 3 weeks). I had to explain about the purpose of that trip. When I told him that I came back from that trip and stared working for the same employer, he was satisfied.

As the next step, I was asked to write the sentence " YOU WORK HARD AT YOUR JOB". Then he showed me the sentence "THE BOY THREW A BALL" and asked me to read it.

He asked me 10 civic/history questions from the popular "100 questions". I answered 100%.

He asked me to wrtite my name and sign a few papers. Finally he handed over the Interview Results (passed) sheet and congratulated me. He also gave me another sheet that is to be given to collect the Oath Letter after 2 hours.

I said "Thank You", and asked about the tie he was wearing. His tie had the pictures of all the U.S presidents so far. I asked "Is that a Federal Goivernment Employee-Only tie?"

He said that his wife presented the tie to him after a Washington, D.C trip. I said "That's nice" , had a hand shake with him and left the room.

Went out, had lunch, came back after 2 hours and collected the oath letter.

I had carried all sorts of supporting documents such as tax transcripts(5 yrs), rental records(5 years), pay stubs(5 years), employment letter, W2 (5 years).

Even though I had a trip outside U.S that lasted for more than 6 months, he never asked for any of the documents.

Everything went extremely well.

Update

2/15/07 - Mailed to CSC
2/16/07 - Priority Date
3/21/07 - Fingerprint Data
6/22/07 - IL Received
8/21/07 - Interview scheduled at LA District Office.

kissan:

Congratulations! I'd imagine the July 6th ceremony is this year's July 4th ceremony. I wonder if they'll do anything special for it.

12/26/06: Sent N400 package to CSC.
01/02/07: Package received by CSC.
01/11/07: Received fingerprint appointment in the mail.
01/19/07: Fingerprints done at Application Support Center in Santa Ana.
04/15/07: Received interview appointment letter in the mail.
06/04/07: Passed the interview.
06/25/07: Received Oath Ceremony notice for July 6.
07/06/07: Sworn in ceremony at Montebello Quiet Canyon.
07/06/07: Applied passport on the spot.

One piece of advise on Montebello Quiet Canyon: The venue is small, hard to get to and traffic congested. It took me 30 minutes to enter the premises from Garfield Ave. off the 60 hwy. It's absolutely chaotic. But, the dreadful journey of citizenship is over. During the ceremony, I said goodbye to the perpetual bureaucracy and mismanagement at USCIS.

All:
I am in the same boat.Got fingerprinting done at Gardena center on 04/27/07 and no sign of Interview Letter :(

Concur with Sambangis.The officer who took my fingerprints told me that I could have come earlier for fingerprints.With INS,every day matters,so why not do it.
From this message board it is apparent that the whole process from filing to getting OCI card is about 9 months.For a tax paying future citizen this is NOT acceptable timeline.It's similar to the Passpost 'fiasco' where they have not correctly estimated manpower to fulfill new laws that they create.

~ Tired of waiting :(
lacitizen