Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

updates:

2/14/07 - N400 mailed to CSC
2/15/07 - priority date
3/15/07 - finger print done
6/28/07 - interview letter received
8/20/07 - scheduled interview date

folks, I have a question: if I want to make a short term international trip between now and my scheduled interview date, would that cause any problem? anybody please could shed some light? thanks.

Congratulations!

Maradona,

First, congratulations on your interview.:D

I don't know what to suggest as far as a trip? Is is outside the US? If it were me in your shoes (which I am not presently) I would stay put. This would make things easier. But, I also think that you should hear other's experiences.

Please post IV when you can...and good luck!

Best Regards,
-Jedi.Knight

folks, I have a question: if I want to make a short term international trip between now and my scheduled interview date, would that cause any problem? anybody please could shed some light? thanks.

Perfectly fine. Since you know when your interview is and you're not waiting for your interview date (in which case you'd need to check on mail), you can go ahead and travel.

Just make sure you update you travel part of the N-400 and take a print out of that page with you to your interview. When they ask you if you've travelled since filing, you can had your IO the sheet.

Caveat: Just make sure that any travel doesn't affect your continuous residency requirement. So, if you're on the cusp of being present for 30 mos over the last 5 years, then don't travel. But assuming you have a normal case, it's no problem at all.

updates:

2/14/07 - N400 mailed to CSC
2/15/07 - priority date
3/15/07 - finger print done
6/28/07 - interview letter received
8/20/07 - scheduled interview date

Go ahead and enjoy your trip Maradona. As long as you come back on time for the interview, you will be fine. Just explain to the officer that you had made a trip.

I had my interview last week. I had made a trip that lasted more than 6 months in the last 5 years. I could explain it to the officer and everything went fine.

And so...it begins!

Hi!

Just submitted: USPS Express Mail-w/Return Receipt.

Application Process:
PR Since '86
5/01/07-6/30/07:...........Gathering Info/Docs
DO: Los Angeles, CA
06/30/2007:..................Mailed N-400 CSC, Laguna Niguel

Today I received a letter from uscis that the processing of my case is delayed due to background checks. If I don't hear from them within 6 months, call them back. What should I do?? On July 1st, it will be 10 months since i filed my N400.

Please advise.

thanks

Hi!

Just submitted: USPS Express Mail-w/Return Receipt.

Application Process:
PR Since '86
06/30/2007:..................Mailed N-400 CSC, Laguna Niguel

I thought you and I were going to file on the same day? Jumped the gun? :)

Hi!

Alect,

I'm strill cheering for you! I got my traffic ticket receipt and couldn't wait. Good luck to you and I'll be on the look out with your application as well!

I apologize for not being able to wait.

Good luck and hope to see you begin your journey as well!

Best Regards,
-Jedi.Knight

Finally Done !!

Hey All,

I recieved my US passport today. The whole process for my N400 is finally done. My over all experience for this is great. I am just so happy that I can finally call this place my "home." Good luck to all you guys.

Tip #1, Apply your US passport on the Oath Ceremony day, one of the officer told me that, the passport agacy intents to process this kind of application first.
Tip #2, if you don't want them to fold your certificate of naturalization, pay extra $14.6 for overnite delivery. This is the only way you can avoid your certificate of naturalization to be folded.

CSC, Los Angeles DO
1/7/2007: App Malied
1/9/2007: App Received
1/9/2007: Priority Date
1/26/2007: FP Notice Rcd
2/10/2007: FP Date (Rosemead)
4/2/2007: Interview Notice Rcd
5/29/2007: Interview Date, Passed (Downtown LA)
5/29/2007 : Notice of Oath Ceremony Rcd, given on the spot
6/22/2007: Oath Ceremony (LA Convention Center)
6/22/2007: Passport Applied
7/2/2007: Passport Recieved

Updated:

03/06/07: Mailed to CSC
03/07/07: USPS Delivery Confirmation at CSC, 11:29AM.
03/20/07: NOA/Receipt received, PD of 03/07/07.
03/22/07: FP appointment received, appointment for 04/14/07.
04/14/07: FP's taken at El Monte ASC.
05/09/07: Rec'd NOA that "The FBI was unable to process your fingerprint card." Next FP re-take 05/30/07.
05/30/07: FP's taken for 2nd time. FP tech said that the FP's don't look good.
07/03/07: Called FBI Customer Service (304-625-5590 or 304-625-2000, option #3) and they both said, called twice, that the fingerprint results were sent back immediately the same day as the last fingerprint appt. day, 5/30/07. The FP tech at the 2nd appt, 5/30/07, said they didn't look good then but didn't give us a yea or nay at the time.

--

But so far nothing new...:confused:

--

Is no news good news?

It seems the Los Angeles application take approx. 6 months from initial mailing to interview date?

Can I assume the 2nd FP's were ok and we are now waiting for an interview date?

Is it true that FP's and the application run seperate of each other? SO there is no delay in the application itself if there are FP problems?

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick address question for all of you

I am sending off my N400 and saw the address on the USCIS site as:

P.O. Box 10400
Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-1040

But I am sending this UPS/Fedex with signature required. At that bottom of that table it says:

Note 2: The following address is used for overnight delivery (Federal Express, UPS, etc.) or bonded courier delivery:
California Service Center
24000 Avila Road, 2nd Floor, Room 2312
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677

I know UPS/fedex can't get signatures from PO boxes. Am I right in sending it to the street address noted at the bottom of the table? Is that where others have fedex'd their N400s or other forms to CSC?

I am sending off my N400 and saw the address on the USCIS site as:

P.O. Box 10400
Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-1040

But I am sending this UPS/Fedex with signature required. At that bottom of that table it says:

I know UPS/fedex can't get signatures from PO boxes. Am I right in sending it to the street address noted at the bottom of the table? Is that where others have fedex'd their N400s or other forms to CSC?

You can just send it via USPS Certified mail, with delivery confirmation. It will be delivered the next day in most cases, and you can track the package too. That's what I did.

If you are very particular about UPS/FedEx, there is a separate generic addres for that but it could take more time because the address is not dedicated to N-400 cases.

N400 Applicatio Process Update!

Man, USCIS and USPS don't mess around! They are fast!

Application Process:
PR Since '86
06/30/2007:..................Mailed N-400 CSC, Laguna Niguel [Day 0]
07/03/2007:..............N-400 Applc. Rec’d (Rtrn. Rect. USCIS 06/29/07) [Day 3]

Here is my timeline for Citizenship processing and Passport processing

Application Process:
PR Since '92
Application mailed: 08/30/06
Priority & Received Date: 09/01/06
FP Notice Rc'd: 09/13/06
FP Date: 09/22/06
IL Rc'd: 11/22/06
Interview Date: 12/19/06
N. Oath letter: 6/13/07
Oath Ceremony Date: 06/22/07
PP Appl.: 06/29/07
PP Rc'd: 06/29/07

Passport was received the same day since I applied at the Los Angeles Passport Agency at 11000 Wilshire Blvd. Will need to call the toll free number to fix up an appointment and you can do that upto 14 days from the day you call. So best is to call 13days before your oath date and fix the appt for the 14th day from the day you call. In this way you can get an appointment the day after your oath. Turning in your passport application is quick if you have an appointment but will have to wait 1-3 hours to pickup the passport though, so plan accordingly.

Good Luck, the information provided in this forum is very useful and anyone who benefits needs to post their experience so everyone can benefit.

Can we take our kids to the Oath Ceremony

Me and my wife have to attend the Oath Ceremony tomorrow at Quiet Cannon, Montebello. Any idea whether we can take our children to the Oath Ceremony? Are children allowed to be with the parents at that time?

Thanks.