Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

After my interview on August 27, I received N-445 (Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony) on September 8, 2008 (within 2 weeks!)

My interview experience is detailed here: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=284958

My ceremony is scheduled for September 26, 2008 at the LA Sports Arena. I'm happy that the entire process is coming to an end...

This gives us some hope. My husband interviewed on Aug. 16. We can't think of any reason why he wouldn't get a Sept. 26 oath date. The mail has become a big event...We started the process in February and it has moved quickly. We are waiting to travel for this oath date... :(

Good to see you back Feliz, we were worried about you. Good luck on your interview. We will be looking forward to find out how they treated your absence from the country. That is also a problem for us.

How long do i have to wait for my Oathtaking?

i recently passed my interview on August 18, 2008...i wonder if anyone knows if how long do i have to wait??? and while waiting for it, can you actually step out of the country while waiting for the date??...please help me...i have my wife and kid in the philippines...so i was wondering if i can travel while waiting for my letter date?? thank you very much...

Last edited by a moderator:
memorised new revised Civics, ( but I am not sure how do I ask officer to use revised instead of old??)

Chill out, man, why do you need new civics? Just put that CD with old civics in you car, put track-2 on repeat and circle in your car around Los Angeles street (as I did) :)

starting to panic a little..

Cmon - what's the worst could happen? You'll get arrested for alleged fraud while interviewed, send to immigration detention center and deported? :D

put all my documents (copy of what I sent + new ones) in sheet protectors (??) and in a binder (??)

yeah binder/case/something that will hide content of your binders from IO (read my experience regarding 'give me all those')

REMEMBER - Tell truth, nothing but the truth, but don't volunteer anything!
(anything you volunteer can be and will be used against you to deny your application)

prepare my most formal wear possible

Def not jeans, but I didn't see many (any?) suits either

am I forgetting something?

Got pictures? I insisted on using new ones, but IO could use old ones too

I will post the top 10 hardest questions later, it's mostly people's names, like newspaper writer and women's rights activist etc.

Nah, those are easy ones - try to remember first 13 states! :) I failed on that one.

i recently passed my interview on August 18, 2008...i wonder if anyone knows if how long do i have to wait??? and while waiting for it, can you actually step out of the country while waiting for the date??

Try to get INFOPASS, but usually USCIS says "up to 90 days" unless you ask to it to be sooner (well, you need to know how to ask properly - like using your Congressman office)

Here is e-mail I got from my Congressman office today (my interview was 1 week ago, see my interview experience above):

"I just spoke with my liaison at CIS today who informed me that your oath has been scheduled for Friday, September 26 at 3:30 PM at the LA Sports Arena. You should receive a notice soon informing you of the oath. If you do not receive a notice by next Friday, Sept. 19, please call or email me to let me know so that I may make sure to get a copy of that notice for you."

Any Interview Letters Received?

I wonder who are getting IL in LA DO these days. Please post if you are one of the lucky ones.

Washington DC seems to be in a roll and so is Chicago.

I am also waiting for my interwiev letter.i has been over two months after my fingerprint.Lets be just patient :rolleyes:

Oath Ceremony [N-445] invitation received

Just received my N-445.

Details:
LA Sports Arena in California
Sep 26th, 3:30pm

Odd:
- Letter was not in the 'usual' green, thick paper. It was on plain white paper. On top, it says "OMB No. 1615-0054; Expires 06/30/07". My interpretation is, to expedite, someone in USCIS printed an old N-445 pdf perhaps from the website and printed the details on that.

In the you must bring items it is mentioned:
--- This letter [checkbox is checked]
--- Permanent Resident Card [NOT CHECKED, interestingly...]
--- Reentry Permit [checked, not applicable to me, I suppose]
--- Any immigration docs... [checked, not applicable, but I am going to lug around my H1B and PR documents anwyay]
--- If application for child ....[checked, not applicable to me]
--- other [checked, I suppose this is open for interpretation]

It also says, "Proper attire should be worn", hmmm.

Obviously, I am very excited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received my N-445.
Letter was not in the 'usual' green, thick paper. It was on plain white paper. On top, it says "OMB No. 1615-0054; Expires 06/30/07"

Same here. I guess that gives USCIS one more chance to delay us by telling oath guards not to allow anyone with expired forms :)
"Detain and Deport first, ask questions later!" :D

POCTOB,
Can you kindly provide me the detail date of 2nd FP and interview letter. I was done with my 2nd FP in late Aug, and still wait for the interview letter. Don't know how long extra I need to wait. Feel kind of anxious... I am under Santa Ana office. Thanks in advance.

Same here. I guess that gives USCIS one more chance to delay us by telling oath guards not to allow anyone with expired forms :)
"Detain and Deport first, ask questions later!" :D

Received my N-445 today.

Details:
LA Sports Arena.
Sep 26th, 3:30pm

Beginning of new journey in the country.

I was done with my 2nd FP in late Aug, and still wait for the interview letter. Don't know how long extra I need to wait.

Sorry to tell you bad news, but FP and IL not clearly related.
First FP is done when application is filed and 2nd (3rd, 4th, etc) is when previous expired (every 12 months?)
And IL is sent when it's time for it to be sent (whatever that means)

Try contacting both California Senator office and your local Congressman office who can inquire with USCIS about status of your application.

POCTOB,
Can you kindly provide me the detail date of 2nd FP and interview letter. I was done with my 2nd FP in late Aug, and still wait for the interview letter. Don't know how long extra I need to wait. Feel kind of anxious... I am under Santa Ana office. Thanks in advance.

If you've done your second FP, chances are you are now in queue for an interview which could take anywhere from 1-3 months to schedule. Since it hasn't even been one month since your 2nd FP, give it at least 30 days before speaking with an IO via phone or Infopass for a case status.

the oath date

Had an interview on Sep 3, received "the old" plain white N-445 yesterday, Sep 11, for the ceremony on Sep 26 @3:30pm. Yay! See you all there! :)

POCTOB,
Thanks for the reply. I acutally got a letter from FBI in early Aug that my NC is finalized and sent to USCIS, and then I made infopass and was told that NC seems to be cleared and I am in queue for interview. I know the 2nd FP and IL are not necessarily related in general. but I think 2nd FP may be a sign for me that they begin to pick up my case. So I wonder in your case, how many days after 2nd FP did you rececive the interview letter. thanks for your advice.

Sorry to tell you bad news, but FP and IL not clearly related.
First FP is done when application is filed and 2nd (3rd, 4th, etc) is when previous expired (every 12 months?)
And IL is sent when it's time for it to be sent (whatever that means)

Try contacting both California Senator office and your local Congressman office who can inquire with USCIS about status of your application.

Had an interview on Sep 3, received "the old" plain white N-445 yesterday, Sep 11, for the ceremony on Sep 26 @3:30pm. Yay! See you all there! :)

Wow, that is pretty fast. We asked our congressional office to enquire as to whether we'll make the Sept. 26 oath date (my husband interviewed on Aug. 17). They inquired and were told that it is in the verification process. From what it looks like here, a lot of people have been pushed through fast, which is great, but I'm wondering what is holding up the status on my husband's oath date. He'd like to vote. THe congressman's office said they'll put in a line of inquiry today. Here's hoping. Just not sure what is involved with the verification process.