Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

Thanks for congrats! :) I am still in disbelief, didn't unpack my huge pile of documents, just in case I go again :D

So my parents passed the interview and to our surprise, they got the oath letter right there today for 28th of May.

Now that is nice. Less than 2 weeks wait for oath and letter given on hand after Interview..Nice

WOW! That is impressive, congratulations!

I though they finish sending OLs for end of month ceremonies by 7th-10th of each month, cuz I notoced a lot of OLs were received around that time
I am going to call today and see if there are any good news for me

Los Angeles is moving quite fast :

Filing Date : April 3 ,2009
Finger Print : April 20 Th
Interview letter Recd : May 14th
Interview date : July 15th

Called the 800#, reached officer from second attempt, was told case is in queue for oath date, so hopefully that means interview was accepted without issues

At first attempt the Rep despite my protests had to read me the WHOLE online status "received january 2009 etc" and the lengthy explanation of what naturalization process is and thst i am not citizen yet (and wouldnt let me stop him), then he asked me if i passed fingerprints, i gave up and said yes, he told me to wait for the interview letter (agrrrrr! they cant see anything besides the website!!!!!) and when i said i had one, he got pissed and refused to transfer to the officer before it has been 90 days since interview.

Instead of wasting millions of immigrsnts' fee $$$ to pay this parrots to read the website and the whole process description for 30 min to each caller, they could have fixed the online status and have the robot read it, like it was when i was getting immigrant visa 5 years ago and every time between 2004 and 2007 when i cslled - automated voice system would read the date of actual last action taken on case and the updates were very quick. Are they regressing to 1950s in technology? Last time i checked processing dates on may 12, it was showing that on FEBRUARY 28 LA DO was processing June 2008, i guess they stopped even pretending they update anything
Futureusc, wow! that is 40-45 days between PD and IL, comparing to 50-55 before, its a nice speed up! Hopefully thats where some of our fees are going, besides paying the website readers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I take my six year old to oath ceremony?

Can I take my six year old to oath ceremony? My oath ceremony is at Fariplex, Pomona.

Interview Letter

I received case file review notice/interview decument checklist today. I haven't receive interview letter. I believe normally first interview letter will come later checklist. Can any one help me on this

04/09/09 Application Mailed
04/10/09 PD
04/20/09 797C NOA received
04/24/09 FP Letter Recd for 5/7/09
04/25/09 FP Walkin Done
05/18/09 Yellow Letter Interview document checklist

I received case file review notice/interview decument checklist today. I haven't receive interview letter. I believe normally first interview letter will come later checklist. Can any one help me on this

04/09/09 Application Mailed
04/10/09 PD
04/20/09 797C NOA received
04/24/09 FP Letter Recd for 5/7/09
04/25/09 FP Walkin Done
05/18/09 Yellow Letter Interview document checklist

My parents turned in their application at the same time.
My dad received the yellow letter first.
A few days later, 2 interview letters arrived.
A few days later, a yellow letter for my mom arrived.
I don't think there's a pattern.

My status below.

Hi OC218, we have same ID, let's keep each other posted!

hello715, there are several tricks I saw on forum - all include LYING! Please understand that lying to immigration officials is illegal and can have bad consequences, so use it at your own risk!

"when you reach first line representative on the phone -
LIE#1: tell them you filed N400 case 50 days ago (more then 30) and didn't receive any notice whatsoever - probably lost in mail
LIE#2: take your case number, change 1-2 digits and start checking them online, once you find a case that is 1-2 digits different then yours but cannot be located online, then write it down and call and give first rep that number, he will search it online :mad:, announce that they cant't find it, then transfer you to the real officer.

once talking to officer you can give him your A# (if used lie#1) or correct case number and just keep your question short - "what is my current status" or more specific "Has my oath notice been sent" and keep your words to the minimum, don't show too much knowledge of process, or don't ever mention you lied a minute ago :D.

Remember that officers are like police officers in dealing with bad liars every day (because good ones doesn't get caught), plus immigration workers are trained to assume everyone guilty until proven otherwise, just like consular workers, so be respectful, patient and careful of what you say, use calm, relaxed and confident voice. Sometimes they can be real nasty jerks, but 70% are normal people"

Good luck everybody!

Hello Feliz-LA. I have exactly the same dates as you. Same Priority Date, SAme NOA and Fingerprinting, and same interview date!

Here is how my interview went. Hmmmm, I wonder if we even ran into each other on May 12th Lol

"Hello! I Hope that everyone is having a great day! Well I had my interview today and I feel really dissapointed and almost heart-broken. I arrived to my interview on time, answered all of my questions correctly, and passed both the English and the History/Civics tests. The Interviewing officer was really nice and everything seemed to be going well when suddendly he tells me:

" A decision cannot be made today" and he gave me a paper saying that they need to wait for my FBI Name check to clear.

As I exited the office I saw that all of the other people who were in that same waiting room made their way to the oath ceremony except for me. I thought that the USCIS schedules interviews once they get all clearances from the FBI and after they complete all of the necessary background checks. I really don't understand what happened and I feel like I will get denied. I have read all of the nightmares about the FBI name checks being delayed for years and my gut feeling tells me that USCIS is going to deny my petition. I feel so lost right now and seeing the other people take the oath today really got to me. Perhaps I have to start getting used to the idea that I won't become a US citizen anytime soon.

Good Luck to the rest of You!

P.S. Something tells me that the Immigration Officer was not being completely honest with me. "

I wanted to post my dates:
02/03/2009: N400 Mailed
02/05/2009: Received Date
02/05/2009: Priority Date
03/03/2009: Finger Printing
05/13/2009: Interview Date
05/28/2009: Oath Ceremony Appointment

I went to the interview with my wife. I thought they would interview both of us together but it was done separately. My wife had a FL driver’s license but they were okay with it. I had one arrest record and I stated that in my application. Since it was dismissed they were okay with it. The officer went over the application and asked questions. She asked us to wait for 2 hours to get the Oath Ceremony Appointment letter. We parked the public parking lot in front of the building for $13.

Can you request oath the same day as interview?

DO: Los Angeles

I am expecting my interview date to be around Aug 1st. Has anyone tried to request oath dates closer to the interview date (assuming you pass...)

I see some mention of "same day oath is possible in some locations.." but cant find specifics for So. Cal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Los Angeles DO

05/09/11 - Application Mailed to PHX
05/11/09 - Priority Date
05/18/09 - Check Cashed
05/20/09 - NOA1 Recvd
05/26/09 - Finger Printing Letter rec'd For 06/06/09
05/xx/09 - FD walk-in
xx/xx/09 - IL issued (rec'd xx/xx/xx)
xx/xx/09 - ID
xx/xx/09 - OD

Hi OC218, we have same ID, let's keep each other posted!

hello715, there are several tricks I saw on forum - all include LYING! Please understand that lying to immigration officials is illegal and can have bad consequences, so use it at your own risk!

"when you reach first line representative on the phone -
LIE#1: tell them you filed N400 case 50 days ago (more then 30) and didn't receive any notice whatsoever - probably lost in mail
LIE#2: take your case number, change 1-2 digits and start checking them online, once you find a case that is 1-2 digits different then yours but cannot be located online, then write it down and call and give first rep that number, he will search it online :mad:, announce that they cant't find it, then transfer you to the real officer.

once talking to officer you can give him your A# (if used lie#1) or correct case number and just keep your question short - "what is my current status" or more specific "Has my oath notice been sent" and keep your words to the minimum, don't show too much knowledge of process, or don't ever mention you lied a minute ago :D.

Remember that officers are like police officers in dealing with bad liars every day (because good ones doesn't get caught), plus immigration workers are trained to assume everyone guilty until proven otherwise, just like consular workers, so be respectful, patient and careful of what you say, use calm, relaxed and confident voice. Sometimes they can be real nasty jerks, but 70% are normal people"

Good luck everybody!

Your trick works. Kind of nervous when talking with officer, but she's nice and told me that my oath notice just been sent today and my oath ceremony on 06/26 at L.A.S.A at 8AM.
LASA = Los Angeles Sports Arena, anyone has experience with this ceremony location. SHould i know anything in advance ? Parking, waiting line, etc ?
Thank you guys

Hello Feliz-LA. I have exactly the same dates as you. Same Priority Date, SAme NOA and Fingerprinting, and same interview date!

Here is how my interview went. Hmmmm, I wonder if we even ran into each other on May 12th Lol

"Hello! I Hope that everyone is having a great day! Well I had my interview today and I feel really dissapointed and almost heart-broken. I arrived to my interview on time, answered all of my questions correctly, and passed both the English and the History/Civics tests. The Interviewing officer was really nice and everything seemed to be going well when suddendly he tells me:

" A decision cannot be made today" and he gave me a paper saying that they need to wait for my FBI Name check to clear.

As I exited the office I saw that all of the other people who were in that same waiting room made their way to the oath ceremony except for me. I thought that the USCIS schedules interviews once they get all clearances from the FBI and after they complete all of the necessary background checks. I really don't understand what happened and I feel like I will get denied. I have read all of the nightmares about the FBI name checks being delayed for years and my gut feeling tells me that USCIS is going to deny my petition. I feel so lost right now and seeing the other people take the oath today really got to me. Perhaps I have to start getting used to the idea that I won't become a US citizen anytime soon.

Good Luck to the rest of You!

P.S. Something tells me that the Immigration Officer was not being completely honest with me. "

hi nocturnalbeat, cute nickname :D

I got same piece of paper - FBI pending, which I though was impossible, cuz last year (after many lawsuits) they would - as you said -schedule interview only if FBI completely cleared, but whatever it is - fret not :) they can't delay the decision for more then 90 days, or we can file a lawsuit, so hang in there!

try calling them, I will call today and will make sure to keep you posted :)

she's nice and told me that my oath notice just been sent today

I am glad it worked, but I want to point out that this is like 7th time I see it of forum and had it happen 2 times myself: that next step happens the SAME DAY when call (or infopass) was made, meaning that calling at a right time (approximately 2 weeks around the anticipated date) - somehow pulls out the case (which was already in the queue) to the top and helps it get to next move. it just can't be coincidence!

bottomline - call 2-3 times a week if you are expecting news, or especially if somebody with comparable PD has received next letter.

I am glad it worked, but I want to point out that this is like 7th time I see it of forum and had it happen 2 times myself: that next step happens the SAME DAY when call (or infopass) was made, meaning that calling at a right time (approximately 2 weeks around the anticipated date) - somehow pulls out the case (which was already in the queue) to the top and helps it get to next move. it just can't be coincidence!

bottomline - call 2-3 times a week if you are expecting news, or especially if somebody with comparable PD has received next letter.

You mean that they slowly pull out my case and just put it on queue as i called.
You suggest calling back sometime? But why did the IO tell me specific oath date? Do you think i will receive the oath notice tomorrow?

You mean that they slowly pull out my case and just put it on queue as i called.
You suggest calling back sometime? But why did the IO tell me specific oath date? Do you think i will receive the oath notice tomorrow?

sorry, I meant it as advice for people who are still waiting for IL and OL, not for me anymore - because I just called and...

i cant believe my OATH will be on June 26!!! my 1 year and 8 month naturalization ordeal (and 5 year of bureaucracy altogether) will be over hopefully soon!!!

btw it's another evidence for my theory that calling when case is otherwise approved and stuck in QUEUE for "event" like IL or OL - call or infopass pulls it out and makes the "event" happen

Please let us know when you get your Oath Letter. Thank you in advance!

I have sent you PM e-mail, hope you will call and hear good news soon!