Likely Delhi Interview (July, August 2004)

austin316 said:
hi rjain,
congrats once again for your clearance.
I spent a nice vacation in India,now going to US this week.was just going thru 'my papers.their is no actual stamp of any kind on my passport.just a red slip outside passport with my IV no. on it and plus(offcourse)the huge packet.was it same for you?and it must be difficult to carry that packet.do we need to hand carry xrays also?
any special thing to keep in mind at poe?
thanks.
austin.

Hi Austin,

Glad that you are having a nice time in India!!

The Consulate did not put any markings on my passport – just gave us (wife and me) separate Immigration Visas attached to papers that were inside a sealed letter sized envelope. Since I’d a valid H1-B (not cancelled by Consulate), I traveled all the way to US without showing the IV. If your H1-B was cancelled or had expired then the IV doc has to be shown in India and at the transit airport (AMS in my case).

At Dulles, the immigration officer opened the envelope and told me to go to secondary room – there the fingerprint and signatures were taken on a form and then the passport was stamped with I-551 valid for 1 year from Date of entry.

The X-ray was a confusing thing, the consular officer in Delhi told me to keep it in my hand-bag (did so by folding it) but it was not needed @ Dulles Airport. Hopefully other recent CP travelers can comment if their x-rays were collected at the POE!

Cheers,

Rjain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Delhi Consulate numbers

Hi,

Can someone share the Delhi consulate Immigrant Visa enquiry numbers? For the past two days I am repeatedly trying the numbers 91-11-24198062/8374 and it keeps on ringing without answer. Does anyone have any other numbers for the consulate?

Thanks and Regards

sm_delhi

sm_delhi said:
Hi,

Can someone share the Delhi consulate Immigrant Visa enquiry numbers? For the past two days I am repeatedly trying the numbers 91-11-24198062/8374 and it keeps on ringing without answer. Does anyone have any other numbers for the consulate?

Thanks and Regards

sm_delhi

Hi SM,

Those are the direct #s and are virtually useless as we all found out; even calling from Delhi itself was a futile exercise. There at least one can go to the immigration enquiry during 2-2:30 but one is stuck if you're outside Delhi or India. They have a general number also but they direct you to the same #s.

Rjain

austin,

Agree as per rjain. Did not ask for the Xray from me. Though I did have it in person.

The best way to keep the IV is as suggested by Raju in other thread. Have both of them back to back in a transparent container. So you do not have to take it out (I did not do , but come to think of it it's a better way).

If there's nothing illegal then it's better to show H1 in India and transit points. Just in my case, because of IV and did not have copies of PCC, Indian immigration officer gave me trouble.

Rjain

Rjain,

Did you get your welcome letter yet. I noticed that your POE date was 07/11. Just curious to know if you had already got it.

DA

jalabalajings said:
Rjain,

Did you get your welcome letter yet. I noticed that your POE date was 07/11. Just curious to know if you had already got it.

DA

Hi J,

Nope -- have been carefully checking mail daily.

Some boys in our office got their GCs and they said that the envelope it comes in is the standard white ones similar to much of the credit card junk mail types. So have become very careful in sorting the mail.....

Rjain.

Thanks

Rjain,

Thanks for the tip. I should be careful too. My POE Date was 07/09. Keeping my fingers crossed.

DA

Rjain2 said:
Hi J,

Nope -- have been carefully checking mail daily.

Some boys in our office got their GCs and they said that the envelope it comes in is the standard white ones similar to much of the credit card junk mail types. So have become very careful in sorting the mail.....

Rjain.

I know about the plain enevelope. A friend of mine almost threw it away, untill I pointed out what possible contents it might have. ;)

Also try 2419-8184.

sm_delhi said:
Hi,

Thanks and Regards

sm_delhi

thx rjain

I am actually there in the list ;-).....
Guess what I havent still received my packet4 from Delhi consulate even though they told last month that it has been mailed .... Just to start preparing a little in advance I had someone go there and pick it up for me and well I cant begin to say how sane decision it was. I am leaving tomorrow and if I had been waiting for packet 4 I am sure I would have been pulling my hair apart today!!

njcpdel said:
thx rjain

I am actually there in the list ;-).....
Guess what I havent still received my packet4 from Delhi consulate even though they told last month that it has been mailed .... Just to start preparing a little in advance I had someone go there and pick it up for me and well I cant begin to say how sane decision it was. I am leaving tomorrow and if I had been waiting for packet 4 I am sure I would have been pulling my hair apart today!!

Hi NJCPDEL,

Good thinking and planning -- the appointment letter in the P4 is the key to get med and entry into the embassy. Good luck with the interview!!

Cheers,

rjain.

Welcome Notice Received

Folks,

I got Welcome letters from Texas Service Center today – @ 2 weeks after POE @ Dulles Airport!! The notice says that the card has been ordered and will be delivered within 3 weeks. Checking the Receipt # on the notice @ the bcis website says that the card was ordered on 21st so hopefully next week will see the completion of the whole process. Some observations on this note:

1) The Alien # on this notice is same as the A# on the IV that I received @ NWD.
2) The Receipt # is similar to any receipt # from BCIS – SRC-04-200-xxxxx.
3) Don’t know why it went to Texas and not Vermont – don’t really care was just curious.
4) I received 2 welcome letters – the only difference is the receipt dates 16th on one and 17th on the other one.

So it looks like next week should most probably be the curtain call for me on this thread, will migrate to the other GC threads!!

Cheers,

Rjain.

Rjain

Congratulations, Rjain, again!

Please continue helping the NWD guys as much as you can. Don't resign yet.

Successful GC Interview at NWD

Hi All,
First of all a very special thanks to Kd, Raju, Rjain and all other people who post on these forums for thier help. I can't imagine getting through this without help from the forum. Here are my interview details:

Reached Delhi on July 2nd. Went for photos next morning to WhiteSales Corp, a shop recommended by the embassy. The guy there is slightly crooked, the embassy website says that for photo charges are 100 Rs but the guy asked for 150Rs. And his reason was that we were at his shop at 9.15 am and the 100 Rs rate starts from 9.30am. In any case, we got the photos done there. It took us an hour. From the photo studio we drove straight down to Dr. Daweshwar's office. Surprsingly, everyone knows about her a doctor for GC. Extremely nice lady and understands the whole GC process. Only thing I want to caution future GC interviewers that Dr. Daweshwar sends people to two different places for blood test and x-rays. We had our vehice so it wasn't a big problem but something to be aware of.

On July 5th we picked up the medical reports. She gave us a copy of the immunization records separately. Next day was the big day. The interview was at 10am, so we reached the emabassy at 9.30 am. Security people allowed us to go inside at 9.45 am. There is a separate, much smaller queue for immigrant visa seekers. They don't allow mobile or any battery operated device inside the embassy so we had to deposit our stuff with the security. Once we entered the consulate hall, a security officer took our apointment letter and asked us to take seats. At 11.20 am, we were called and all our papres were submitted taken. Only required papers were asked- PCC (original), photocopies of birth and marriage certificate, DS 230-I and II and notarized employment letter. After submission of the documents we were asked to take seats and wait for names to be called. At 2.10 pm (right after lunch) we were called for the interview. The consulate officer was very polite and administered us the oath. He asked a few very basic questions about the nature of the job and my company. My wife was asked about her job in India and how she met me. Nothing worrisome and our interview was over in 5 minutes. Then with a big grin the officer told us that he is approving our visas but he would like to keep our passports for the name check. He told us that the name check would take 15-20 days.

Based on Rjain's similar experience, I went to the embassy after a week at 2pm to request to expedite the process and to my surprise they told me that name check was already done. So I was asked to come next day 8.30 am for finger printing. We reached the emassy at 8.20 am. Inside the embassy there was a separate queue of people who were asked to come at 8.30 am. Our turn came at 9am and the officer asked us to wait in the hall. Finally, at 3pm our names were called for the finger printing. And we got the red labels to be given to the TTS guys in the lobby. I requested the oficer if I could pick up the passports in the evening. He quite strongly told me that passports would be couriered. Finally, our passports arrived 3-4 days later. The courier contained a sealed envelope along with each passport.

The POE was Detroit. Had to stand in GC/Citizen line. After inspection of the documments the immigration officer asked me to go to Special Handling counter. At the special handling counter the officer was very polite and asked my address for mailing the actual card. One caution here, at the POE it took me more than an hour so if you have connecting flights from POE then keep this time factor in mind.

Will post more once I get the welcome letter. Please let me know if I can share anything more about my interview.

Good luck to all those who are waiting for their turn. Trsut me it just a matter of time. The staff in Delhi is quite polite and understanding.

Hi SKB,

I'm sure that you must be very relieved to return home with the CP and GC over with!! It seems like the name check is getting to be a regular event so future CPers should factor in the time for clearance into their bookings. I fortunately came under the radar for the fingerprinting bit; from your narration it looks like a full day’s event; really time consuming.

Good news is that after the CP, the POE and the remaining physical card formalities are a breeze. Just curious – did anyone ever collect the X-RAYs from you?

Congrats again and have a great career and life in the US!!!

Enjoy,

Rjain

Last edited by a moderator:
Scheduling of CP interviews in Delhi

NVC has completed the review of my EB3 case and have forwarded the papers to NWD on 7/7/04. Can someone please advice me on when I should expect the Interview in Delhi? Is it possible to get a date in September itself?

Thanks and Regards

SM

sm_delhi said:
NVC has completed the review of my EB3 case and have forwarded the papers to NWD on 7/7/04. Can someone please advice me on when I should expect the Interview in Delhi? Is it possible to get a date in September itself?

Thanks and Regards

SM

There's a 50% chance it'll be September and 50% October. It takes between 2-2.5 months from the date of receipt @ Delhi for the interview. Look up cptracker for some indications of time-periods.

Rjain