Likely Delhi Interview (July, August 2004)

Interview Dress: what to wear

Gurus,

What should be the attire for men ? Neck tie ? Coat, paint ?

What should be the attire for women ? Suit, paint in gora style ? Salwar-Kurta desi style ?

Naidilli said:
Gurus,

What should be the attire for men ? Neck tie ? Coat, paint ?

What should be the attire for women ? Suit, paint in gora style ? Salwar-Kurta desi style ?

I am sure you meant pants in your question.

There is no prescribed attire for the interview. Any dress that is decent and
you feel comfortable in, will do.

But if you want specifics I would suggest business casuals. If you want to
turn up a notch and wear a tie or a suit , it is your choice and feel free to
do so.

Raju

Hi Tenzing,
There is a good possiility that you get passports in 3 days but then I wouldn't bet on that. if you could recschedule flight then I would suggest doing that. Also, Rjain has a good suggestion: try requesting to the Indian officers at the time of document submission and they may be able to help you out. Even in my case when I pleaded for personal pick up the Indian officer was willing to co-operate but then Afro American dude emphatically told me that wouldn't be possible.

Good luck with everything.
SKB

Hi Tenzing,

My lawyer had suggested business casual for me and no Indian dress or jeans for my wife – she said that since we’ve been here for ages, the officer should get the impression that my wife is quite comfortable in western clothes. You’ll find many of the family based candidates in salwar suits or kurta pyjamas and the "spouse applicants (K/V visas)" nearly looking like new brides even though they may have got married 2-3 months back!!

Just relax and best wishes for a successful interview.

Rjain.

Rjain2 said:
Hi Tenzing,

My lawyer had suggested business casual for me and no Indian dress or jeans for my wife – she said that since we’ve been here for ages, the officer should get the impression that my wife is quite comfortable in western clothes.

I don't think that this will be an issue at all. Esp. for E category, So what if the officer does not get the impression that wife is comfy in western clothes ..??

You’ll find many of the family based candidates in salwar suits or kurta pyjamas and the "spouse applicants (K/V visas)" nearly looking like new brides even though they may have got married 2-3 months back!!
That, I have noticed too. Some of them the mehndi is still there but they are dressed as described above.

Medical questions

-- Do we have to be fasting for medical test
-- Is urine sample also to be given

Thank you so much.

alren said:
I don't think that this will be an issue at all. Esp. for E category, So what if the officer does not get the impression that wife is comfy in western clothes ..??

Hi Alren,

My lawyer had given these as suggestions -- she feels that even though the interview is a non-event in most cases, one should try to make a positive impression. We followed her advice on the interview day, but the next time when I went there to try and expedite my ‘name check processing’, I wore a company t-shirt and jeans and that worked too!

My take on the dress code for the interview day for E-category is business casual but no jeans or shorts and non-collared shirts and wearing a suit would be an overkill!!

Rjain.

With the first encounter with US consulate in 1994, being and exception, I 've always wore Jeans and T-shirt whenever I have gone to the consulate (A total of 5 times after that ). :)

Port Of Entry

I noticed that some of the folks who have not booked the tickets or do not even have an interview date have specified POE at cptracker.com. How do they know POE unless you schedule a flight?

Basically I want to know that POE is just based on convenience of flight and CP paperwork has nothing to do with it. Right?

Hi User55,

POE date should be the date you first hit a US port for immigration clearance/stamping after the CP. Obviously you have to consider the logistics of the interview and couriering of the passport and IV documents. One hopes that one tries to take a small vacation also visiting friends and family. May be folks are putting an anticipated date for POE first and then adjusting it based on confirmed tickets.

Rjain

Notarize,attest ?

-- Should we get attestation of copies such as marriage and birth certificates, or plain copies are sufficient.

Thank you

Naidilli said:
-- Should we get attestation of copies such as marriage and birth certificates, or plain copies are sufficient.

Thank you

You need to carry the originals with you with the photo copies. At document collection time, they look at both and return the originals. This is for the BC, marriage cert, and secondary proof of birth (school cert).

They keep originals with notarization of DS230, Employment letter and I-134.

Rjain

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for helping out with your replies.

This one is about folder/file management on interview date.

-- Is there a minimum set of documents that we can keep in one folder and stack everything else in another. Is it better to carry multiple folders. Do the folders have to be transparent ?

Thank you

Naidilli said:
Thank you for helping out with your replies.

This one is about folder/file management on interview date.

-- Is there a minimum set of documents that we can keep in one folder and stack everything else in another. Is it better to carry multiple folders. Do the folders have to be transparent ?

Thank you

Hi,

There's no prescription for organizing your docs -- follow whatever works for you so that you don't fumble around for docs. You can look up my post-interview posting that shows how I organized the docs into different the folders.

Rjain

I agree with rjain. Also check out posts by kd1403, raju595 and tapasvi's posts for different ideas and tips. Great stuff from them out there.