Likely Delhi Interview (July, August 2004)

alren said:
I still have them with me. (So the ans. is No) I dunno what to do with it. Trash it? :rolleyes:

Hi alren,

That's the confusion I also have. The embassy officer @ Delhi told me to carry it with me in my hand-bag as they will be required @ POE; at the Dulles Airport no one cared about them -- I double checked with the officer and he said that there are for my doctor! My wife is schedueld to return from India next month and I wanted to confirm that if the X-rays are a real waste then it'll be conveninet to just pack them in the checked-bags!

Rjain

Just to be on the safe side, (the last inconvinence you will ever have) is to have it on her. Just in case they ask. As you know from your exp. most likely it will not be reqd.

Guys!!

Last night Delhi Embassy received my AC-140 application.

How and when, do I need to enquire about the assigned case number?

Is the name check process is for every CP case in New Delhi or they randomly pick the names.

Thanks in advance.

Name Check -- when and why!

Hi Rseth,

The reasons for why the name check is done are not clear. In the July 1st half cases (at least the ones discussed in this forum – PL, SKB, Austin and mine), it was done in 2 cases – SKB and mine and not for the other 2! Either we can assume that it was a random 50% check or someone had suggested earlier that they check when the applicant or derivative’s names are very common. We need to confirm the real reason for this name check as for regular CP cases it is already done by NVC before forwarding the case over to the post – this was confirmed by the officer when I suggested this to him in the interview along with his comments that this is a new process they are initiating for NIV applicants coming to India for IV.

I suggest that an experienced immigration lawyer should follow up with the consulate to find out the causes for this name check – folks like myself who went through the process can only guess to the reasons!

Also we may want to request the cptracker admin to add name-check date as a column!!

(Alren, concur with your advice -- will ask her to keep the x-rays in the hand-bag.)

Cheers,

Rjain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the explanation. I will keep atleast 2 weeks of buffer time from the date of interview so that I should be able to come back on a specific date.

Rest everything I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Rjain2 said:
Hi Rseth,

The reasons for why the name check is done are not clear. In the July 1st half cases (at least the ones discussed in this forum – PL, SKB, Austin and mine), it was done in 2 cases – SKB and mine and not for the other 2! Either we can assume that it was a random 50% check or someone had suggested earlier that they check when the applicant or derivative’s names are very common. We need to confirm the real reason for this name check as for regular CP cases it is already done by NVC before forwarding the case over to the post – this was confirmed by the officer when I suggested this to him in the interview along with his comments that this is a new process they are initiating when NIV applicants come to India for IV.

I suspect that an experienced immigration lawyer should follow up with the consulate to find out the causes for this name check – folks like myself who went through the process can only guess to the reasons!

Also we may want to request the cptracker admin to add name-check date as a column!!

(Alren, concur with your advice -- will ask her to keep the x-rays in the hand-bag.)

Cheers,

Rjain.

Guys!!

Another simple question and I assume this must be answered hundred's of times but it would be really nice if someone answer it again.

How to get the case number from New Delhi for AC-140 cases?

rseth123 said:
Guys!!

How to get the case number from New Delhi for AC-140 cases?

{ An email will be sent to the lawyer from the consulate after the case number is assigned and you can also get it by calling them at frequent intervals in a week till you get it }

Rjain,
No one asked me for the x-rays. But it won't hurt to have it on you while travelling to US. Also, for finger printing, the embassy handles people in the bulk starting 2pm. Regarding the name check, I think you and I faced the same officer. Again, it is still random but better to have a few more days in your hand to handle such eventuality.

SKB

Hi SK,

Concur with your advice on carrying X-rays on hand and extra travel days for accomodating name-check processing. Was wondering why they called you @ 8:30 a.m. when the fingerprinting is done from 2:00 p.m. onwards!

Rjain

Rjain2 said:
Was wondering why they called you @ 8:30 a.m. when the fingerprinting is done from 2:00 p.m. onwards!

That's some of the things you would never understand. Like my case, where they just wanted to see my face and called me again and again ...

alren said:
That's some of the things you would never understand. Like my case, where they just wanted to see my face and called me again and again ...

Alren,

Can't disagree with you, the Consulate processing time is a mystery -- thankfully in ND they have an overpiced food stall so you can munch on something and have soda and watch some TV for 5-6 hours. Fortunately for IV apps we could sit down, the NIV folks don't even have that luxury!

One understands that for main interview they stagger the arrival time so they have a manageable crowd but once inside the sequencing is haywire; one would have thought that for FP since they start @ 2 they should call @ that time the folks who were told to return back for missing docs or name check. I guess in the normal flow they finish the interviews and then do the FP.

Hopefully this will get streamlined in due course! Also, if other folks can post their experiences @ ND after the FP was started then we'll know better.

Rjain.

Rjain2 said:
Can't disagree with you, the Consulate processing time is a mystery -- thankfully in ND they have an overpiced food stall so you can munch on something and have soda and watch some TV for 5-6 hours. Fortunately for IV apps we could sit down, the NIV folks don't even have that luxury!
So does Mumbai. But it seems to run out pretty fast. Mumbai NIV has sitting arrangements also.

Physical Card received!!

Folks,

I am very happy to inform fellow CPers that I received the physical GC today – less than 3 weeks from the POE @ Dulles Airport of July 11th!! The window envelope that it comes in looks like one of the junk mail ones and one has to be very careful in not discarding it.

I am very relieved and grateful for selecting the PC option as the whole process form I-140 approval to having the card in my hand took less than 6 months. The best thing about this process is that virtually every month there are 1 – 2 status updates; contrast this to I-485 where everything stands still for months/years before the approval takes place.

Grateful to the members who have exchanged so much good information in this forum – my lawyer was very useful but the actual on-the ground information was available only in this forum. This is critical to give confidence for the interview @ the consulate and understanding of the nitty-gritty of the docs needed, medicals, PCC, etc.

Anyway, I wish you all an equally successful CP/GC and best wishes for a great career and life in the U.S.A.

Cheers,

Rjain.

Congratulations Rjain !!! So now you can say all complete right ?

Well, I too had the same feeling since my labour got cleared, every month looks like some update in the case, even though my last news (Plastic Card) has yet to come as I just completed 4 days after POE.

I hope by your last statement you don't mean that you will be lost for ever from this forum.

All the best for Post GC Life.

Thanks

skb14 said:
Hi All,
First of all a very special thanks to Kd, Raju, Rjain and all other people who post on these forums for thier help. I can't imagine getting through this without help from the forum. Here are my interview details:

Reached Delhi on July 2nd. Went for photos next morning to WhiteSales Corp, a shop recommended by the embassy. The guy there is slightly crooked, the embassy website says that for photo charges are 100 Rs but the guy asked for 150Rs. And his reason was that we were at his shop at 9.15 am and the 100 Rs rate starts from 9.30am. In any case, we got the photos done there. It took us an hour. From the photo studio we drove straight down to Dr. Daweshwar's office. Surprsingly, everyone knows about her a doctor for GC. Extremely nice lady and understands the whole GC process. Only thing I want to caution future GC interviewers that Dr. Daweshwar sends people to two different places for blood test and x-rays. We had our vehice so it wasn't a big problem but something to be aware of.

On July 5th we picked up the medical reports. She gave us a copy of the immunization records separately. Next day was the big day. The interview was at 10am, so we reached the emabassy at 9.30 am. Security people allowed us to go inside at 9.45 am. There is a separate, much smaller queue for immigrant visa seekers. They don't allow mobile or any battery operated device inside the embassy so we had to deposit our stuff with the security. Once we entered the consulate hall, a security officer took our apointment letter and asked us to take seats. At 11.20 am, we were called and all our papres were submitted taken. Only required papers were asked- PCC (original), photocopies of birth and marriage certificate, DS 230-I and II and notarized employment letter. After submission of the documents we were asked to take seats and wait for names to be called. At 2.10 pm (right after lunch) we were called for the interview. The consulate officer was very polite and administered us the oath. He asked a few very basic questions about the nature of the job and my company. My wife was asked about her job in India and how she met me. Nothing worrisome and our interview was over in 5 minutes. Then with a big grin the officer told us that he is approving our visas but he would like to keep our passports for the name check. He told us that the name check would take 15-20 days.

Based on Rjain's similar experience, I went to the embassy after a week at 2pm to request to expedite the process and to my surprise they told me that name check was already done. So I was asked to come next day 8.30 am for finger printing. We reached the emassy at 8.20 am. Inside the embassy there was a separate queue of people who were asked to come at 8.30 am. Our turn came at 9am and the officer asked us to wait in the hall. Finally, at 3pm our names were called for the finger printing. And we got the red labels to be given to the TTS guys in the lobby. I requested the oficer if I could pick up the passports in the evening. He quite strongly told me that passports would be couriered. Finally, our passports arrived 3-4 days later. The courier contained a sealed envelope along with each passport.

The POE was Detroit. Had to stand in GC/Citizen line. After inspection of the documments the immigration officer asked me to go to Special Handling counter. At the special handling counter the officer was very polite and asked my address for mailing the actual card. One caution here, at the POE it took me more than an hour so if you have connecting flights from POE then keep this time factor in mind.

Will post more once I get the welcome letter. Please let me know if I can share anything more about my interview.

Good luck to all those who are waiting for their turn. Trsut me it just a matter of time. The staff in Delhi is quite polite and understanding.

hi
i am in delhi waiting for interview on the 2nd of august. i thought that if approved on that day i should get the passports couriered to the residence by the next 2 days. accordingly have booked flight for 6th early morning flight which gives me 3 working days to get the courier. your note says 3-4days which can be a problem for me. can you clarify if there was some reason that it took more than 3 days?
i have left my 4 month old baby in the US and maybe theywill be more understanding at the consulate-about giving me the passports earlier
thanks for any help you could give me

Hi Tenzing,

My short experience @ the ND Embassy is that I found the 2 Indian officers that I dealt with more accomodating and understanding then the American dude who interviewed me. When you submit your docs, try to request a personal-pickup with the Indian officer, hopefully he/she will put a note in your folder.

Also hoping that you don't get caught with the name check.

Good Luck,

Rjain

Congratulations

Congratulations Rjain,

You could say that you have a crossed a major hurdle in a short period of time. Enjoy your post GC life and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

DA

PS: Don't get lost from this forum.

Rjain2 said:
Folks,

I am very happy to inform fellow CPers that I received the physical GC today – less than 3 weeks from the POE @ Dulles Airport of July 11th!! The window envelope that it comes in looks like one of the junk mail ones and one has to be very careful in not discarding it.

I am very relieved and grateful for selecting the PC option as the whole process form I-140 approval to having the card in my hand took less than 6 months. The best thing about this process is that virtually every month there are 1 – 2 status updates; contrast this to I-485 where everything stands still for months/years before the approval takes place.

Grateful to the members who have exchanged so much good information in this forum – my lawyer was very useful but the actual on-the ground information was available only in this forum. This is critical to give confidence for the interview @ the consulate and understanding of the nitty-gritty of the docs needed, medicals, PCC, etc.

Anyway, I wish you all an equally successful CP/GC and best wishes for a great career and life in the U.S.A.

Cheers,

Rjain.

Thanks and bye!

Hi VM, DA, etc,

Yes getting the GC finally over with is a big relief and thanks for your sentiments. I’m trying to slowly wean off from this thread – it’s become very addictive!!

Cheers,

Rjain.