Likely Delhi Interview (July, August 2004)

Rjain2

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am creating a new thread to track experiences for individuals who have opted for Consular Processing of their Green Card application at the US Embassy in New Delhi.

I’m providing a link to a very popular Delhi CP thread that has been running since Nov. 2002:
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66672&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Would appreciate if users would peruse the above thread first for answers to some of their queries before posting it onto this thread. Also requesting participants to register their status updates @ www.cptracker.com .

The topical question in the minds of active Delhi CPers is the expected interview date once the Case has been sent to the Consulate by NVC. Expectation is @ 2.5 months from the time the case is sent, would like to know specific experiences of some folks who went to Delhi recently for their CP and how long it took since the case was submitted by NVC?

Cheers,

Rjain2

Last edited by a moderator:
Rajeev,

After some research I have found that the May visa interviews in New Delhi are for people whose cases were forwarded to the embassy in January 2004 or earlier.

Therefore, it seems that our interviews, if all goes well, should be in August, though i am still hoping for July.

P_L

Hi Pitambar,

That’s a bit of a bummer!! I was also expecting July based on the 2.5 months post case sent to Consulate formula and I also checked some case status for EB May interviews on NVC and found they had Jan dispatch dates. Also with summer arriving, I’m sure there will be some vacationing staffers which will delay things further. Let’s hope that August is the latest month when the interview is scheduled.

Cheers,

Rjain.

Hi Pitambar,

I talked with my lawyer who suggested that once the case is registered in the Consulate, sometimes an email from the lawyer helps in getting interviews for some suggested dates. In my case, my family will be vacationing in India for 2 months during the summer. KD had mentioned earlier that the date allocation is a bit subjective but there’s no harm in trying with the lawyer’s help.

We all concur with CPNWD's comments on Delhi CPers but will hope for the best as far as interview dates are concerned.

RJ

Hello Rajeev,

My lawyers paralegal was an immigrant visa officer at a US Embassy. He confirmed what you have written.

P_L

PL,
The MDRxxxxxxxxxxxx in NWD interview-list could be a bad sign for Delhi CPers, as this could be due to some work off load by Chennai consulate (simply a guess w/o any concrete info)

I completely agree with both Rjain and you (P_L) on the use of Attorney to influence the interview schedule. Unfortunately, I was not so lucky to get the cooperative attorney for my case. Anyway...

However, I would certainly pass on "a word of caution" to anyone, who is trying to postpoane the interview rather than attempting to prepone with a genuine reason like medical emergency, etc.

Actually, postponing is not a good idea as this could cause an extended delay in the interview sceduling, I guess, due to the file being pulled out of the regular queue.

In any case emabssies are very reluctant, in general, to amend their predetermined course of action.

Good luck for your interview dates.

:)

cpnwd,

I am not going to try to postpone the interview once the dates have been decided by the Embassy but am trying to haggle a date that is suitable to me prior to the decision.

I think you are correct about the MDR cases. I hope it is an aberration and does not delay us.

P_L

Hi CPNWD,

I’m also interested in doing the same ‘date-fixing’ as P_L; my family is traveling to India and will be there between mid June to mid-Aug, I’ll love it if I get an interview date between that time so that I just have to buy my ticket to travel for the interview and my wife joins me from Delhi.

My lawyer said that she can write a letter to this effect and see if the officials give a date between these 2 months!

Rjain.

scheduling interview

Guys..

Here's something I did since I wanted to get my interview scheduled in late december. My case was forwarded by NVC to Delhi Embassy on Oct 1. I knew there was no chance for November interview but definitely December.
So, I called the Delhi embassy around Nov 13th since they typically decide the interview dates close to the middle of the month. And, when I spoke to the guy at the embassy, he basically just asked me what date in december I wanted and gave it to me. That's coz they were in the process of assigning the interview dates anyway so he gave me the date I wanted (I think there are some restrictions regarding EB interview dates though).

So..if you want...you can try calling middle of next month and maybe they'll accomodate you with a date that suits you in July. Additionally, you may wanna call them later this month just to make sure they have your case in their computers.

Good Luck,
Parag

Hi Paragm,

Your plan of action sounds very practical, would love it if this works for us too!!

I was planning to call the embassy tonight just to ensure that they have received the case – it’s being 11-12 days since it was sent by the NVC. To be honest, the NVC AVM had been terrific in religiously informing us of the status, but now one has gone to a situation where one needs to follow up with the embassy, in order to get the status. Once I know that they have received the case then I’ll be more relaxed.

Any other thoughts you (or others) have on following the case from now till the interview date are welcome.

Cheers,

Rjain.

TRY ALL the suggested STUFF

P_L and Rjain,

I would recommend going through your attorney first. I believe that they give more value to your attorney's letter/call than that of yours.

It is very subjective and depends on who hadles your case in embassy.
It worked for Paragm (on his suggestion when I tried it, the embassy guy just told us to call back again after 2 weeks). I had also made a written request about the Holi holidays and vaction about my family for MArch interview; it didn't work for me (doesn't mean it would not work for you though).

The point is "TRY ALL the suggested STUFF" (don't leave any stone unturned) and then keep your fingers crossed, remember your favorite GOD, and hope it works for your case.

Be optimistic and try all the options. May be you would post a new technique for future candidates.

Good luck!

:)

Folks,

I finally called Delhi Embassy yesterday night, took @ 45 minutes of redialing till someone finally picked up @ 9:30 IST! The man who answered the phone was very professional and courteous.

He retrieved my case # (from the database) and confirmed my mailing address. He said that it takes 4-6 weeks to schedule interviews and that I should call them after June 21st. He also gave their e-mail address, implying that’s the preferred method of communications. I requested him that because of my family’s travel plans to India, could I request a July date, he said that the June 21st call date was for that purpose only.

I’m thinking that based on CPNWD’s advice, that I’ll call again around mid-June and hope that they give us a July date. He also confirmed that only PCC from Indian Embassy is required if I’ve been living in the US for so many years. I am finally relaxed that at least the case has reached the scheduling stage.

Cheers,

Rjain.

Rajeev Bro,

I was not as lucky with the phone but sent them an email and got a reply within one hour. They received my case on the 5th of May. The email says nothing about the interview except that it will be scheduled in the "forth coming months".

I feel that if you call by June 21st, it will be too late to influence your interview date as it would probably have been decided by that time.

P_L

Hi Pitambar,

One needs luck and patience – I redialed continuously for 40-45 minutes before someone picked up. I sent them a follow up email today with my address and a request for July interview. The response on “forth coming months” is their standard one which my lawyer also got a few weeks back.

I was relieved and happy when the office could retrieve my case based on my NWD# that I didn’t bother asking when they received it -- so I assumed in the worst case it was last Friday.

I think Paragm’s response in this thread was a practical one; may be we should plan to call them around June 10-11th. Most probably they are still scheduling the cases and since one has telephonically and verbally stated the month of interest they’ve hopefully noted that in the case file. Don’t want to call very frequently to annoy the officer in case it’s the same one who answers the phone!

CPNWD's prayer advice is not a bad one too!

Rjain.

Folks,

I am not very computer savvy and I just discovered the private message system on this forum. Forgive me for not replying to your messages earlier.
It is also possible that the replies do not reach you (because of something that I did or did not do), in which case let me know (that is why I am posting this publicly).

P_L

P_L and CpFromDelhi,

I followed up my call to NWD with an e-mail confirming my mailing address and requesting for summer interview date. I got an e-mail response today confirming that the case is with them and like P_L’s case, mentions that they “hope to schedule you for an immigrant visa interview in the forth coming months”.

CpFromDelhi, try calling them or emailing them @ ivnd@state.gov to confirm that your case is also with them; most probably it is as P_L, your and my NVC sent dates are pretty much identical. Once you know that then it’s 4-6 weeks for interview scheduling and may be another 4 weeks for the blessed event!

Cheers,

Rjain.

PS: P_L, thanks for turning on your message receipt option.

Hey guys,
I am too waiting for an interview date in June/July. But I suppose its little late to expect something in June now. The best I can expect could be July. My application was received by the embassy on Mar 25th. I tried calling but no one answered the phone. Also, no response to email too.