Likely CP Candidates for October 2003 @Mumbai Consulate - To Do List

KAT02

KAT02-

if you live in USA, a consulate PCC is all you need.

if you live in India, you should follow those instructions - I met a person during the interview who was refused 1st time because he did not have local PCC (he lived in India)

if you already have the case nos. and sent ds230 pt1 earlier, no need to send anything else. just take pt2 filled out (without signature) and a copy of pt1 to the interview.

Mistake in I-140 approval

This question is for all you Guru's.
Just received an e-mail from our lawyer yesterday that there's already a mistake in our I-140 approval, his exact wording's were: "As is true with a number of applications these days, the BCIS has already made one mistake in your case. The I-140 notice of approval indicates that they haven't sent the approval--and your file--to the National Visa Center. They are keeping it in Vermont assuming that you are going to adjust status in the US. This is despite clear instruction in our I-140 apploiaction that you will visa process abroad. So, I will ahve to write to them, point out their mistake and hope they will remedy it soon. It just adds to the time for Mmbai to open the file on your case. But I will do it soon. So, good news for the time being, but a ways to go. will keep you posted."

Our approval date was Oct 30th, and presently we're in Mumbai.

Our Q's are:
1) Has anyone else been through this? What do we do now?
2) How can we rectify this?
3) How much more delay are we supposed to roughly expect?

Please reply ASAP and thank's for your time.

Re: Mistake in I-140 approval

Originally posted by GC_Mangta
This question is for all you Guru's.
Just received an e-mail from our lawyer yesterday that there's already a mistake in our I-140 approval, his exact wording's were: "As is true with a number of applications these days, the BCIS has already made one mistake in your case. The I-140 notice of approval indicates that they haven't sent the approval--and your file--to the National Visa Center. They are keeping it in Vermont assuming that you are going to adjust status in the US. This is despite clear instruction in our I-140 apploiaction that you will visa process abroad. So, I will ahve to write to them, point out their mistake and hope they will remedy it soon. It just adds to the time for Mmbai to open the file on your case. But I will do it soon. So, good news for the time being, but a ways to go. will keep you posted."

Our approval date was Oct 30th, and presently we're in Mumbai.

Our Q's are:
1) Has anyone else been through this? What do we do now?

{The BCIS holding on to the file without sending it to NVC
has been quite common. I am sure several candidates had
to talk to them before the file was sent to NVC}

2) How can we rectify this?

{Your attorney needs to talk to them, and let them know that
it was mentioned CP in the I-140 petition}

3) How much more delay are we supposed to roughly expect?

{It should not take long. May be a week or 10 days. When
they realize the mistake, they would send it to NVC}

Please reply ASAP and thank's for your time.

{my responses}

Raju

Re: su_gupta & raju595

Originally posted by rohufish
about A nos.

my A no. on the AC140 CP visa stamp is different from our A nos. from our 485 receipts. is this ok?

If you have got a stamping through consular process, what
485 receipts are you talking about?? (are you referring to the
485 process which you would have abandoned?)

Raju

Question regarding birth certificates

Just received my wife's BC today from the 'D' ward in Mumbai after applying some source. Only her first name is put in the name section, her father's last name is misspelt.

Our questions are:

1) Is is OK just to have the candidate's first name in the 'name' section or should there be the full name, i.e. first, middle and last as in the passport on the BC?

2) Is it OK if the father's last name is misspelt and mother's last name is not entered at all?

3) We are still going to do the two affidavit's anyways, but will the above affect the process/cp interview in anyway?

Thanks for the time folks.

ds2001 info

Guys,

I am trying to fill-up the ds-2001/ds230-1 for the packet-3 and have following questions:

1. should we fill the top right 3 boxes in case of ds-2001

a. priority date: I filled the priority date I recd. in consulates letter
b. foreign state chargeability: DON'T KNOW what to fill
c. immigrant visa category: E2-IND (again from the consular letter)

2. in case of my son (studying in Gr. 3) the edu. info takes 5 lines but there are only 4 lines. Is it OK to write only last 4 lines thereby ignoring his K.G. info? Does it really matter for kids in elem school? I am just guessing it was meant for high school onwards but still...

please reply
--harapatra

A#

The A# for OPT (F1 student visa) EAD, I-485, EAD etc. all have same A#. My assumption was that A# for GC through I-485 OR CP should be consistent with any one of the above mentioned docs. I found out from a few people that they got different A# on the green card than that on F1 OPT. So I guess this is normal. Any comments.

KAT02

PCC

Rohufish

I have posted this under a separate thread. I called Mumbai consulate and asked them about PCC requirement. The person on the phone said that I should try for one from the local police station and if they refuse to give one then get a note to that effect (in addition to Indian consulate PCC). I have read from so many posts on this forum that PCC from local Indian consulate should be sufficient for everyone residing in the US. Therefore I was surprised by a) the instructions in P3 and 2) consulate response.

Did you get packet 3 in response to your AC140 application with any instructions?

Thanks

KAT02.

Re: PCC

Originally posted by KAT02
Rohufish

I have posted this under a separate thread. I called Mumbai consulate and asked them about PCC requirement. The person on the phone said that I should try for one from the local police station and if they refuse to give one then get a note to that effect (in addition to Indian consulate PCC). I have read from so many posts on this forum that PCC from local Indian consulate should be sufficient for everyone residing in the US. Therefore I was surprised by a) the instructions in P3 and 2) consulate response.

Did you get packet 3 in response to your AC140 application with any instructions?

Thanks

KAT02.

That is a news to me! So, now we have to take the police clearance from local police stattion in India? Does anyone know the format of this report?

Re: ds2001 info

Originally posted by harapatra
Guys,

I am trying to fill-up the ds-2001/ds230-1 for the packet-3 and have following questions:

1. should we fill the top right 3 boxes in case of ds-2001

a. priority date: I filled the priority date I recd. in consulates letter
{OK}

b. foreign state chargeability: DON'T KNOW what to fill

{India or IND}

c. immigrant visa category: E2-IND (again from the consular letter)

{OK}

{Also on top of every sheet in packet write your case
number in block letters}

2. in case of my son (studying in Gr. 3) the edu. info takes 5 lines but there are only 4 lines. Is it OK to write only last 4 lines thereby ignoring his K.G. info? Does it really matter for kids in elem school? I am just guessing it was meant for high school onwards but still...

{It is fine as you propose. If you are particular you may
use an additional sheet. Clearly mark such sheet with
the name of the applicant, item # }

please reply
--harapatra

{my responses}

Raju

KAT02

KAT02-

i classify requirements into 2 categories:

1. MUST HAVE
2. NICE TO HAVE

i think the local PCC for US-based CP applicants falls in the 2nd, although if you keep track of the flavor/mood of the season through posts of people CP'ing just before you, you can quickly re-classify! i say this because in some months, some jackass officers were insisting on local PCCs for US-based CP'ers. that problem seems to have gone away...

lets track letter/card receipts

folks -

please remember to post when you entered from PoE and when you got the welcome letter and plastic cards

Re: KAT02

Originally posted by rohufish
KAT02-

i classify requirements into 2 categories:

1. MUST HAVE
2. NICE TO HAVE

i think the local PCC for US-based CP applicants falls in the 2nd, although if you keep track of the flavor/mood of the season through posts of people CP'ing just before you, you can quickly re-classify! i say this because in some months, some jackass officers were insisting on local PCCs for US-based CP'ers. that problem seems to have gone away...

Good suggestion KAT02! But I think you agree that in this case even 'nice to have' is as good as 'must have' (to avoid the risk of dealing with 'jackass officers'). We should get the clarification from the Attorney and post it here - that's what I am gonna do. We should try to get the reply of the consulate since the confusion has crept in and we are in no mood to take risk on such small issues.

But if we have to get the PCC then do we know the format of it or the local police station knows about it? I am sure it sounds like a good income to those inspectors :)

--harapatra

harapatra

i am not aware of US-based CP'ers in recent times (last few months) who have been asked for local PCCs

i ran into people based in India who expressed great frustration with the process of trying to get a local PCC. most of us already have been through lots of frustration, so save yourselves the hassle if you can live with it.

if you do happen to run into an officer who insists on a local PCC (it'll be huge news on this board because no one has in recent times), you can always offer to return in 1-2 days with that one missing doc. they cannot reject your case - they will give you time to produce that document later.

i'd suggest you do what you individually feel comfortable doing. i personally chose the easier route by just taking the consulate PCC. so did many others and they did just fine.

your lawyer will not answer this question any better for you. just do what your risk appetite suggests to you.

Re: Question regarding birth certificates

Originally posted by GC_Mangta
Just received my wife's BC today from the 'D' ward in Mumbai after applying some source. Only her first name is put in the name section, her father's last name is misspelt.

Our questions are:

1) Is is OK just to have the candidate's first name in the 'name' section or should there be the full name, i.e. first, middle and last as in the passport on the BC?

{Obviously the right thing would have been having the full
name in the BC. Now the question is, can you get away
with the BC as it is now.

If it is not too much trouble, get it corrected. }

2) Is it OK if the father's last name is misspelt and mother's last name is not entered at all?

{As above, it the spelling is off by just one letter then it
should be alright!}

3) We are still going to do the two affidavit's anyways, but will the above affect the process/cp interview in anyway?

{You know, as well as anyone else, it is difficult to predict.
It depends on whether the CO is picky or not.

My suggestion would be, to try and get the BC corrected.
If that is not possible or there is no time, then you have
to take the chance with the one you have}

Thanks for the time folks.

{my responses}

Raju

Rohufish

Thanks for thr reply and your approach seems logical. I guess it is one's luck on that given day that will rule!

Did you get any checklist with Packet 4 (appointment letter?) that had PCC requirement specified?

What about spouse's name endorsed in the passport? Is it required? My wife has my name in her passport but I do not have her's in mine? Sorry if I sound paranoid here.

KAT02.:eek:

kat02

yes, everyone gets packet 4 before the interview with the invite letter, instructions, and duplicate blank forms etc.

i don't recall what that one pager on PCC said, but i remember thinking its only for India-based folks, so discarded it

i've not heard of anyone being roughed up because their wife's name was not on their passport - but i personally have her name in my passport anyway. the primary evidence of marriage is your marriage certificates and wedding cards, photos.

Received 2 sets of Welcome Letters for myself and wife today, but none for the daughter. The letter mentions that it will take 3 weeks before the physical Green Card will arrive. October Mumbai CPers- please keep posted about the progress of the plastic card.