landing experience

Avr Works Perfectly Landed Into Canada And Came Back To Usa

Hi
I M On F-1 Opt Status Have Job On Opt And Expired Visa In Passport With F-1 I/94 Card And Landed Into Canada Through Peace Bridge Yesterday And Came Back To Usa Next Day There Is No Problem For Using Avr(automatic Visa Revalidation ) Officer Told Me To Come Back Within 30 Days Otherwise U Will Have To Go To Consulate For New Visa To Be Issued .

For Avr Things Always Make Sure Before Leaving Usa The Officer Made Sure With Other 2 Officer In Other Building By Phone And They Told Me About Not Surrender Or Lose The I/94 Card
At Canadian Side : I Told That I Have Left Usa For Forever And Gave I/94 To Immig People
There Was No Problem For Landing In Canada And No Problem For Return To Usa On F-1 Opt Status
Thanks For Sharing All This Valuable Information On This Form

shahmir76 said:
Hi
I M On F-1 Opt Status Have Job On Opt And Expired Visa In Passport With F-1 I/94 Card And Landed Into Canada Through Peace Bridge Yesterday And Came Back To Usa Next Day There Is No Problem For Using Avr(automatic Visa Revalidation ) Officer Told Me To Come Back Within 30 Days Otherwise U Will Have To Go To Consulate For New Visa To Be Issued .

For Avr Things Always Make Sure Before Leaving Usa The Officer Made Sure With Other 2 Officer In Other Building By Phone And They Told Me About Not Surrender Or Lose The I/94 Card
At Canadian Side : I Told That I Have Left Usa For Forever And Gave I/94 To Immig People
There Was No Problem For Landing In Canada And No Problem For Return To Usa On F-1 Opt Status
Thanks For Sharing All This Valuable Information On This Form

Why did you tell the Canadian guys that you left USA forever, since you have plans to come back to USA? and how come you gave your I94 to Immi people? Your are suppose to keep your I94 with you to come back to USA.

Hi Labor2002,

I sent to New York office for Canadian GC Stamping.
I sent by Post Office Mail (In Express Mail both to and fro).

It took a month to receive the Stamped Passport from them.

Thanks,

Hi,

I am a US GC holder and my wife is on H1B. We have applied for Canadian GC three years ago and we received Canadian GC last week. New York Canadian Immigration put a stamp in our passport that we must have to enter Canada before March-07. Entry is only one time single visit.

My Wife H1B expired few months ago and we got extension. But it not yet stamped in Passport. So, we want to get stamped in American Consulate at Canada so that she can able to re enter into canada.

I am at Washington DC. Dont know
1. Which American Consulate we need to fix an appt. for stamping?
2. Which is the best way to go to Canada either by Car or Flight for our Canadian Landing and get Canadian PR Card? What are the documents and how much money we need to take with us?
3. Is it true that I have to hold only one GC? When I return if they asked to surrender my American GC or Canadian GC what can i do?
4. Once at Canada what are things need to do? Which is the place I can stay?
5. Please let me know any other details if I missed.

I really thanks for your help.

When to move/travel -- Gurus please

Hi all
After browsing through this forum, i felt more confidant but have a question. And I do not know whom to approach except for this forum.

I am on 8th yr extension, My experience while landing in canada was ok but not perfect. i had to surrender i-94 cards (at canada border).
And while coming back, i needed new i-94 cards. I had to wait for a longer period of time with my wife and little kid and the full verification was done. But i had all the paperwork. (and i have never been out of status).
Now, i have to visit canada again. Because i received a letter for my wife, that her photo specs are not correct. And the file will be active for 6 months.

I do not know what to expect this time. I seriously want to move canada by next year. Should i just keep appointment in canada(To come back --i have valid us visa untill jan + I-797 approval for 1 more yr). Or Do i request an extension of apppointment.

if i request an extension, i will need more than 6-months here to wrap-up things. If i go right now, i am not sure if the canadain border will again keep my I-94, and may ask about my us gc card questions (means i have applied GC. But as of now, not a single labor has been cleared). Air canada, please help.

Landing with AOS Pending

We have no H1B.

AOS Pending since last 3 years and just received Canadian Immi Approval.

Must enter in canada by Nov'06.

Planning to drive own car to Toronto, via Niagara Falls (bridge) and come back in 3 days on AP (Advance Parole).

I went thought thread but did not find much on AP.

Any recent case? Please help, advise.

Regards
laborvictim.

Canadian PR and H1B Extension to be done same time.Help...

Hi,

I got a Canadian PR last month and must have to land before Mar'06. Also at the same time, my H1B Extension Stamping has to be done at the US Consulate, Toronto. I fixed an appointment for that. If the US Immigration officer asked that "Why you want to stamp H1B and want to go America since you have a canadian PR?" What I have to inform them? Did anybody come across this problem.

Please let me know.
Thanks.

Need Help

To day I got Canadian PR stamp on my passport and they mentioned I must land to Canada before Jan 15th 2007. I am on H1B 9th year extension. Recently my labor was approved through PERM and priority date of JAN 2006. My US visa stamp expired on my passport. Now I have valid one year H1B extension. Please advise me following questions.

1. If I get Canadian PR (actual) with in 30 days, Can I come back to US with out US VISA? (stamping) (some one pointed revalidation at CANADA US Border)

2. If I cross US Canada border (Niagara falls), Do I need to submit my I-94 cards? If yes, Can I get new I-94 cards while I am returing to US?

3. I am Indian citizen and what are the chances to get US stamping at Canada. What questions they may ask?

Thanks,
JDK98

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Yes, as long as you re-enter USA after visiting Canada within 30 days and you do not visit any other country in between, you can use the AVR (Automatic Visa Revalidation) process to claim entry into the US.

2. For claiming AVR, you need to hold onto I-94 cards. If the officer asks you to surrender I-94, politely explain that you are re-entering within 30 days and hence do not want to surrender your I-94 cards. Note of caution though, if you apply for a US visa while in Canada, you are automatically disqualified from claiming AVR. You can only enter USA in that case with you newly issued US visa. So, if you intend to apply for US visa in Canada, you should surrender your I-94 card at the border before entering Canada. And god forbid, if you do not get a US visa in Canada, you cannot enter USA since AVR now is no longer applicable and you do not have a valid visa to re-enter. In that case, the only alternative is to fly back to your home country and get a new US visa stamp and fly back to the US. Don't want to scare you but want you to be aware of the laws which hopefully will help you in making a decision that is right for you.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

jdk98 said:
To day I got Canadian PR stamp on my passport and they mentioned I must land to Canada before Jan 15th 2007. I am on H1B 9th year extension. Recently my 140 approved through PERM and priority date of JAN 2006. My US visa stamp expired on my passport. Now I have valid one year H1B extension. Please advise me following questions.

1. If I get Canadian PR (actual) with in 30 days, Can I come back to US with out US VISA? (stamping) (some one pointed revalidation at CANADA US Border)

2. If I cross US Canada border (Niagara falls), Do I need to submit my I-94 cards? If yes, Can I get new I-94 cards while I am returing to US?

3. I am Indian citizen and what are the chances to get US stamping at Canada. What questions they may ask?

Thanks,
JDK98

Further to Q # 2 -

If you use AVR to re-enter, you use your old I-94 card and I-797 to claim legal entry into USA.

If you get a new visa from the US Consulate in Canada, you enter on your newly issued visa, and in that case, you should get your new I-94 cards at the border. (since old I-94 should have already been surrendered while crossing over to Canada at the border)

Canada PR

Thanks for your valuable suggestions...

I have few more questions..

1. If I cross US Canada border through Niagara Falls and handover all my Permanent Residence papers with given Toronto home address to Canadian agent, how long it will take time to get actual permanent
residence card? (approximate time frame).

2. Do I need to wait until get actaual card? (come back to US)

3. Once I am at Canada what things I need to do?

4. While returning to US what documents or papers I need to show at Canadian border agent?

Thanks,
jdk98

labor2002 said:
Further to Q # 2 -

If you use AVR to re-enter, you use your old I-94 card and I-797 to claim legal entry into USA.

If you get a new visa from the US Consulate in Canada, you enter on your newly issued visa, and in that case, you should get your new I-94 cards at the border. (since old I-94 should have already been surrendered while crossing over to Canada at the border)

Can someone help me.

I have till January to land in Canada. I am planning to land & return back to US.
1. The question is from when are you supposed to start paying Canadian taxes.
a. From the day one lands
b. From the day you actually start living in Canada.

2. Should we apply for SIN card? Or can we apply once we decide to move to Canada?

3. Proof of funds. what should be shown. Bank statements?

Thanks
Sh_Ad

1.You don't have to pay taxes if u r not going to live in Canada.

2.You can apply for SIN card while landing or when u move there.
I did my landing last month and came back to US.I applied for my SIN card.

It almost took more than 3 weeks for me to receive the my SIN card.

3.Bank stmts (or) Cashier's cheque.Mostly they don't look at the stmts /
cashier's cheque.The immigration officer just asked me how much I brought
for landing.She dint see the Bank stmt and the Cashier's cheque that I took
with me.

Good Luck.

aaa06 said:
1.You don't have to pay taxes if u r not going to live in Canada.

2.You can apply for SIN card while landing or when u move there.
I did my landing last month and came back to US.I applied for my SIN card.

It almost took more than 3 weeks for me to receive the my SIN card.

3.Bank stmts (or) Cashier's cheque.Mostly they don't look at the stmts /
cashier's cheque.The immigration officer just asked me how much I brought
for landing.She dint see the Bank stmt and the Cashier's cheque that I took
with me.

Good Luck.

Thank you so much for the info.
How much in USD do you need per person for landing.

It can be done on any day and at any time.But some postings suggested not to do at mid night or at odd times in the night.....I did my landing aroung 7Am - 8Am in the morning.

Landing experience at Vancouver & some questions

Me and my family landed at Vancouver international airport last week. On our arrival we were sent to a customs officer. He asked us couple of questions about goods we are carrying - we mentioned that we are here for completing landing paperwork. He asked if you have filled B4 forms, we said yes. He wrote B4 on the customs form (card) and sent us to new immigrant arrival center located near customs counters.

The immigration officer who completed 5292 (COPR) form was rude and was trying to show his authority, as if we were trying to enter Canada illegally (which I think is rare, after going through experiences on this forum) - may be having less experience. When we gave him Canadian address, he asked whose addr was it - I mentioned its friend's addr. He asked how do you know him, how long you know him and so on. Then he realized that he was asking too many questions. He noted down the address. Then he asked about money we are carrying - I showed him a self payable cashier's check ($8500) and mentioned $500 USD in cash and bank statements. But he just noted down the cash we are carrying. I did not question him why he didn't write down cashier's check amount. Finally he mentioned that the PR cards will be sent to us within 6 weeks.

After completing 5292 for all of us, he asked about goods to follow list. We gave him B4A pages - he did not ask for B4 form (goods in possession).
By mistake, we had mentioned "Jewellery" and its corresponding value. He said that he cannot accept B4 forms, beacuse the each piece of jewellery must be described in detail and must have appraisal value, or purchase receipts (which I agree). Also he mentioned that the jewellery must have been purchased for more than a year ago (I haven't seen this in CIC or CBSA documentation).
He gave us a printout and said that once our goods arrive in Canada, get an appointment at the CBSA office (number mentioned on the printout) and submit the B4 forms there. The officers at CBSA will go through the goods, and goods to follow list and release the goods. In short, he did not accept our B4 forms.

We didn't expect this. My wife missed some of the discussion, and asked him to explain again, and if we can remove the jewellery item - he literally shouted at her and said that this is the last time he will explain. We really got irritated by his behaviour. After we left this rude guy, we saw that the customs card has a question "Have you shipped goods to Canada?" - I had marked "No", since I haven't shipped any goods yet. The customs officer whom we had met first had marked it "Yes" - I don't know why. We thought that may be the reason the immigration officer did not accept B4 forms. But we did not want to talk to that immigration officer again, since we were really annoyed. We came out of the airport adn went to our hotel.

Did anyone encounter a situation where they did not accept B4 forms and were told to contact CBSA office?

recent experience

Landed last week to Toronto Airport. Immigration, Customs, was finished in 2 hours. SIN applied and it was quick too.

While coming back, Visa Officer at Toronto Airport was very rude. He told me that everything is changing, no one will get their GC and he made me change the column, "currently living" to India, instead of USA. We argued for almost 10 minutes. I was very angry and told him that USA was fortunate to have us and H1 and GC is a choice of US companies and Economy. After sometime he might have realized and became soft and finished my backgroup search quickly and I could make my flight on time.

I am getting tired of all this. It is too much now.....

laborvictim said:
We have no H1B.

AOS Pending since last 3 years and just received Canadian Immi Approval.

Must enter in canada by Nov'06.

Planning to drive own car to Toronto, via Niagara Falls (bridge) and come back in 3 days on AP (Advance Parole).

I went thought thread but did not find much on AP.

Any recent case? Please help, advise.

Regards
laborvictim.

Hi all

I thought of landing in 2/3 weeks through Niagara falls and come back same day to USA. I have following doubts.

1. Do you guys know any SIN office(aroud TORONTO region) open on saturday in order to apply SIN? if not can I able to apply through mail in canada?
2.My H1B and my wife's H4 visa on passport are expired. I and my wife have both H1B approvals till 2007 october with attached I-94 (my wife H4 converted to H1B). Does this cause any problems while coming back to usa?

3. As a precautionary measure I am trying to take US consulate office (Toronto/montreal/ottowa) appointments but alwasy it says not available. Do you guys thing will it be ok to go and come back without US consulate appointment?(I do not have any plans to get visa stamped.)

See Answers below.

1. Click on the link to see the list of offices to apply for SIN card, chose the one that works for you -http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/gateways/where_you_live/menu.shtml
Below link is for the process and docs. required to apply for a SIN card-
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/asp/gateway.asp?hr=en/cs/sin/0200/0200_010.shtml&hs=sxn#so1

2. No problems, As long as you travel ONLY between USA to Canada and back and DO NOT visit any other country inbetween, and the duration of your trip is less than 30 days, you can re-enter the US with your valid H-1B/H-4 and I-94 attached to your valid H-1B. Expired visas in your passport are not a problem.

And just for your assurance, if you browse through this forum, you will find cases like yours who have successfully reentered USA with the benefit of AVR (Automatic Visa Revalidation).

I was in the same situation as yours, and reentered USA with an expired visa stamp in the passport/valid I-797 H-1B approval this past weekend after landing in Canada.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Gc Pain said:
I thought of landing in 2/3 weeks through Niagara falls and come back same day to USA. I have following doubts.

1. Do you guys know any SIN office(aroud TORONTO region) open on saturday in order to apply SIN? if not can I able to apply through mail in canada?
2.My H1B and my wife's H4 visa on passport are expired. I and my wife have both H1B approvals till 2007 october with attached I-94 (my wife H4 converted to H1B). Does this cause any problems while coming back to usa?

3. As a precautionary measure I am trying to take US consulate office (Toronto/montreal/ottowa) appointments but alwasy it says not available. Do you guys thing will it be ok to go and come back without US consulate appointment?(I do not have any plans to get visa stamped.)