landing experience

Received PR card and SIN Card

Hi! I have landed IN canada on 25th NOV 2004.
my PR card application done by immigration Officer and I did apply for SIN card locally.

Received PR card on 6th DEC for Souse and myself.
Received SIN card on 16th DEC for all of us Including Kid.

Just for your info, landed on 24th nov and received PR card for myself on the 7th of Dec and for wife on the 13th of Dec
Thanks

Landing experience Toronto 12/24/04

Hello all, myself and my fiance landed at Toronto's Pearson Airport on Friday 24th.

Our plane from New York landed at about 7pm. We went through the initial customs check (the check that everyone goes through). The lines were short and it only took five minutes, and were directed into immigration. The customs inspector made some small talk about the job situation in Toronto.

There were only three people ahead of us within the section of immigration dedicated to landing, all looking nervous, and we took a seat to wait. While we were sitting there, another plane landed and about 100 more people joined us. It became a little chaotic and extremely noisy, there was nobody assigning who was next in line and some of the newcomers were rowdy and barging into the immigration inspectors' cubicles but we were firm about getting our initial group of four seen first.

The immigration officer was young and pleasant, she asked very few questions which was surprising to me - whether I have dependents, the address we want our permanent resident cards sent to, a couple of other things. As the primary applicant all the questions were directed to me. The officer asked how much money we had with us but didn't check it. She was VERY surprised that we had received our landing papers in 11 months and said most people she saw wait three years. She took photos for our permanent resident cards and that was that. It probably took ten minutes.

We were given two "Welcome to Canada" packages full of forms and information pamphlets, because I have rusty French, one in English and one in French. Some of the info is redundant to people familiar with Canada or with experience in North America, but the info about forms etc was concise and helpful.

Our airline had a delay getting baggage to the carousels, so while waiting I checked the proof of landing again. On re-inspection I couldn't tell if the immigration officer had transcribed my lawyer's address (to send our PR cards to) correctly, so I went back to immigration. The officer was perfectly lovely and accommodating and interrupted what she was doing to check the address again for me.

Then it was on to customs, the guy took our goods to follow list, stamped it and gave us some addtional documentation. He was nice but had his hands full with another person who was presenting some sort of false documents and then pretended to faint, so he dealt with us very quickly, within five or ten minutes.

That was it. We stayed at the fantastic Sheraton downtown for the weekend, which was relaxing and fun, and did some exploring and socializing, and asked people about real estate and the economy. We grinned every time we saw the maple leaf flag, and argued about whether we'll join the Liberal Party or the NDP when we move up permanently.

We returned to New York Monday morning and our lawyer will send on our PR cards. As the offices are closed for much of this week, next month we will take some time to come back to apply for our SIN numbers, and will continue to travel back and forth until we've found jobs.

Everyone within immigration and customs was extremely personable and helpful, and dealt with us as people, not numbers. Having lived as an immigrant in the US for six years and had regular dealings with the INS down here, this is decidedly NOT the norm for me, and it's a credit to Canada.

We have of course visited Toronto before, but again found the public transportation to be great, the people to be lovely and the sales taxes to be high. It feels familiar.

Good luck everyone! I am very relieved to have finally landed and will be happy to answer any questions anyone has. We are looking forward to moving up to Toronto, and cheering for the Blue Jays instead of the Yankees.

Congratulations NYPaddy, I'm actually looking for an attorney whose address I can specify while landing. Would you be able to post the attorney's address

Thank you

nypaddy said:
Hello all, myself and my fiance landed at Toronto's Pearson Airport on Friday 24th.

Our plane from New York landed at about 7pm. We went through the initial customs check (the check that everyone goes through). The lines were short and it only took five minutes, and were directed into immigration. The customs inspector made some small talk about the job situation in Toronto.

There were only three people ahead of us within the section of immigration dedicated to landing, all looking nervous, and we took a seat to wait. While we were sitting there, another plane landed and about 100 more people joined us. It became a little chaotic and extremely noisy, there was nobody assigning who was next in line and some of the newcomers were rowdy and barging into the immigration inspectors' cubicles but we were firm about getting our initial group of four seen first.

The immigration officer was young and pleasant, she asked very few questions which was surprising to me - whether I have dependents, the address we want our permanent resident cards sent to, a couple of other things. As the primary applicant all the questions were directed to me. The officer asked how much money we had with us but didn't check it. She was VERY surprised that we had received our landing papers in 11 months and said most people she saw wait three years. She took photos for our permanent resident cards and that was that. It probably took ten minutes.

We were given two "Welcome to Canada" packages full of forms and information pamphlets, because I have rusty French, one in English and one in French. Some of the info is redundant to people familiar with Canada or with experience in North America, but the info about forms etc was concise and helpful.

Our airline had a delay getting baggage to the carousels, so while waiting I checked the proof of landing again. On re-inspection I couldn't tell if the immigration officer had transcribed my lawyer's address (to send our PR cards to) correctly, so I went back to immigration. The officer was perfectly lovely and accommodating and interrupted what she was doing to check the address again for me.

Then it was on to customs, the guy took our goods to follow list, stamped it and gave us some addtional documentation. He was nice but had his hands full with another person who was presenting some sort of false documents and then pretended to faint, so he dealt with us very quickly, within five or ten minutes.

That was it. We stayed at the fantastic Sheraton downtown for the weekend, which was relaxing and fun, and did some exploring and socializing, and asked people about real estate and the economy. We grinned every time we saw the maple leaf flag, and argued about whether we'll join the Liberal Party or the NDP when we move up permanently.

We returned to New York Monday morning and our lawyer will send on our PR cards. As the offices are closed for much of this week, next month we will take some time to come back to apply for our SIN numbers, and will continue to travel back and forth until we've found jobs.

Everyone within immigration and customs was extremely personable and helpful, and dealt with us as people, not numbers. Having lived as an immigrant in the US for six years and had regular dealings with the INS down here, this is decidedly NOT the norm for me, and it's a credit to Canada.

We have of course visited Toronto before, but again found the public transportation to be great, the people to be lovely and the sales taxes to be high. It feels familiar.

Good luck everyone! I am very relieved to have finally landed and will be happy to answer any questions anyone has. We are looking forward to moving up to Toronto, and cheering for the Blue Jays instead of the Yankees.

Congratulations NYPaddy, I'm actually looking for an attorney whose address I can specify while landing. Would you be able to post the attorney's address

Thank you

Hi Ohio, I'm reluctant to post my own lawyer's address in a public forum, as I don't know if she'd be willing to act as a mail drop off for you - she may have just done it for us as a courtesy; however I'm sure there are many local lawyers who would provide this service for you if you pay them for the fedex fees and their time and trouble - why not contact a couple close to your port of entry and see what they say? G'luck!

Hi Nypaddy,

Congrats for your landing!
In the last post, you mentioned, that you lived in US as permanent resident for more than 6 years. In that case have you applied for US citizenship? you dont have plans to stay in US and retain your US GC or like to move permanently to Canada?
The reason I am asking is if you move to CAnada permanently, you will loose your GC status in US.

In the last post, you mentioned, that you lived in US as permanent resident for more than 6 years. In that case have you applied for US citizenship? you dont have plans to stay in US and retain your US GC or like to move permanently to Canada?

Hello and thanks! I have not applied for American citizenship, and have no interest in staying in America, I do plan to move permanently to Canada. I am really only hanging out here in New York to close out some clients and until I can find a job in Toronto or some very solid networks that I'm confident will lead to one. Luckily I have some good contacts already, so we'll see.

that sounds good. so what will happen to your US GC if you move to Canada permanently? do you have to inform USCIS that you are going to give up US GC after some time or US GC becomes invalid when you stay out of the country for specified period of time?

I presume that a green card loses validity if you haven't lived int he States for a certain period of time but I don't know that for sure. I assume you can voluntarily surrender it too.

Successfully landed from Lewiston Bridge (Buffalo)

Hello, All

I am a silent reader in this thread and got a lot of useful information. Thanks a lot for those who contribute their information here. Now it is my turn to give my experience for landing in Canada.

We landed from Lewiston Bridge (Buffalo) on 12/19 around 7:00pm. There is no line at that time for landing process. Since the immigrate official is busy on some issues, I waited for about 20 minutes for them to call me. The official is very polite and professional for the landing process. He asked me to show the bank statement, asked me how long I will stay in Toronto, explained how to keep the P.R. status and how to get the citizenship, etc. The conversation is very comfortable. No question is beyond the previous posts in this thread. ( I have read all the post in this thread from the first one). The official thought my photo is not good enough and so he took pictures for me. (with no charge).

Then we went to the custom counter. The lady is very nice too. She asked if I brought cashes check and asked me to show her. She took one copies of the goods for importing and the goods for follow-up. (with the photos for jewery), stapled them together and entered some information in the computer. In about 5 mins. It's all done.

That is all about the landing process.

We went back to US through Rainbow bridge with a valid visa and I-94. No question was asked and the whole process is just about one minute.

Hope the above information is useful and best wishes for everyone.

Congrats. Could you tell me how much money you carried with you? Did you have any TC or was it all Cashier's checks? Did you have to declare it to US customs?

Thanks in advance

I had $10,000 in cashier's check, as well as bank monthly statement. No US custom stopped me before I entered Canada. While I came back. The US border official did not ask me any question. So I did not have to declare it to US customs. Per my knowledge, Any amount below $10,000 is duty free. So it should be fine.

Good luck.

metaman said:
Congrats. Could you tell me how much money you carried with you? Did you have any TC or was it all Cashier's checks? Did you have to declare it to US customs?

Thanks in advance

I- 94 card to and from Canada

Congrats jimmy121,

Do you have to surrender I-94 card on the way to canada or not if you go via road? What is the procedure on the way back from Canada i.e filling new customs card or any other form?

Do you know if there is any difference if you go from USA to Canada by air interm of I-94 and customs.

Hi,

I went thru Air. No issue with I-94 and customs. I told them not to take I-94 as my visit is less than 30 days but they didn't listen. Gave new card. Lawyer has already told me that it doesn't matter.

Regards

Hi,
I would like to share my experience to the readers. I entered canada through peace bridge , washington on the way to vancouver.Ofcourse i took rental car for the purpose.Even though it was monday around 1.30 PM, there was a long queue.The person at the entry asked me the purpose and directed me to the immigration office at the corner of a nearby building.H asked me whether that was my own car. There was about 5 min wait at the immigration counter. A middle aged white lady was there to attend my case. She asked my passport and the address where i am staying at vancouver.I gave my friends address.She specifically informed me that i cant leave vancouver before recieving my PR card.She verified my family members passport and landing papers. In my wifes landing paper the photo was not affixed properly.After seeing that she told me that things should be in proper place blah blah in a unfirendly manner.I replied politely that the photo was not affixed by me.She checked my cashier cheque and directed me to customs. Ther was no talk about welcome to canada pack etc.Also she told me that the letter will be sent to my friends address and then i will be required in person to collect my PR card????? another experience awaited at the customs office.I listed my car in the goods to follow list. Even then the officer collected information about VIN# and the model of the car etc.Then informed me that i might need to pay $182 when i import my car and also informed that he initiated the procees.I am not sure whether this one is normal.I stayed at vancouver for couple of days and returned to seattle and there was no problem while returing at the US border.

Now there are two questions to the forum members:
1) will they send the card or letters to the address i mentioned and if they send the letter thne is it enough if i go alone and pick the cards my family members?
2) At the customs the officer said that he initiated the process for my car import.will that be a problem for me?
Thanks in advance
Srignram

No one asked I-94 on the way to Canada. While we are back from Canada via rainbow bridge, the inspector is very polite and did not ask anything. So we were not aware of and did not fill in any form.

I do not know how to deal with them by air though.

Good luck.

anonymous12 said:
Congrats jimmy121,

Do you have to surrender I-94 card on the way to canada or not if you go via road? What is the procedure on the way back from Canada i.e filling new customs card or any other form?

Do you know if there is any difference if you go from USA to Canada by air interm of I-94 and customs.

We went by air. They left my I-94 in my passport, because we were only leaving the States for 4 days. I was asked about it by the immigration guy; and we did have to fill in and present new customs declarations at US Immigration also.

My wife and I landed via the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel on the 28th of Dec, 2004, using a 2 way rental car. We gave our distant relatives address in Canada at the port of entry. The entire process was very smooth. The lady at the Immigration counter did not ask a lot of questions and forwarded us to Customs, where we gave the Goods to follow and Goods Carrying lists. We went around Toronto and then came back via the same route using the 30 day automatic I-94 re-validation with expired visa stamps on 1st Jan.

This forum was very helpful. Thanks to all the readers and good luck to all those waiting.

sapota1 said:
My wife and I landed via the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel on the 28th of Dec, 2004, using a 2 way rental car. We gave our distant relatives address in Canada at the port of entry. The entire process was very smooth. The lady at the Immigration counter did not ask a lot of questions and forwarded us to Customs, where we gave the Goods to follow and Goods Carrying lists. We went around Toronto and then came back via the same route using the 30 day automatic I-94 re-validation with expired visa stamps on 1st Jan.

This forum was very helpful. Thanks to all the readers and good luck to all those waiting.

Saota1

Can you explain what is this 30 day automatic I-94 re-validation. Did you mention that you had an expired visa stamped on your passport and didn't have to stamp the new visa before re-entering USA.