landing experience

love2002 said:
thanks for your reply bhand11683. I know the facts that you mentioned.
1.you can get the provincial medical care even if you are staying outside Canada.one of my friend after reaching Canada, showed proof of his residence and got the ontario medical card after 3 months. now he is not living there. but I agree that it may difficult to maintain the medical card as active if you are staying outside Canada for long time. but I heard if its less than 1 year, its not going to be a problem.

----Eligibility

Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health coverage (OHIP). To be eligible for Ontario health coverage you must :

be a Canadian citizen or have immigration status as set out in Ontario's Health Insurance Act, and
make your permanent and principal home in Ontario, and
be physically present in Ontario 153 days in any 12-month period.
OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario. The ministry strongly encourages new and returning residents to purchase private health insurance in case you become ill during the OHIP waiting period.

----Your friend is now taxable in Canada for his US income and this is equivalent to his living in canada but since he is outside he will not be able to use these days for maintaining PR although he will be paying taxes

2.Sponsoring a family member is difficult, when you are outside Canada. thats true since you have to show them proof of residence and income.
but if any relative want to come to Canada in skilled category, they will get that extra 5 points even though you are not physically present in Canada. so they will definitely get benefited of this.

Not sure if you try to bring parents as Visitors to Canada, we have to show the proof of income?
Thanks

----Canadian citizens and permanent residents living in Canada, 18 years of age or older, may sponsor close relatives or family members who want to become permanent residents of Canada. Sponsors must promise to support the relative or family member and their accompanying family members for a period of three to 10 years to help them settle in Canada.

I really think you need to correctly understand rules regarding canada Immigration

Last edited by a moderator:
landing by greyhound?

I have been this forum for a while. realy appreciate the infor and advices from you guys. it guided me all the way of my PR process.

I started my process from 2002, due to family reasons, until two weeks ago, I finally got PP request.

I am planning to land at Windsor for maybe one week or two weeks. finish paper work, get driver's license... A friend told me that I might not need car to do those things in Windsor. if I do not keep the rental car for two weeks, is that possible I return it at windsor or just take the tunnel bus? greyhound? anyone has exerience? or better idea?

thanks

thanks for your clarification bhand11683.
So you mean to say my friend will be paying the taxes now even though he is outside Canada?
How come he will be paying the taxes to Canada for the salary that he is earning here in US? not getting this point. could you please clarify?

for lz, you can take your rental car, keep it for 2 weeks and come back with the same vehicle or can return in Canada also.
if you are taking commercial vehicle, my understanding is they will ask for the Permanent residence card when you board the vehicle.
you may not having this card, since it will take 4 weeks or more to get it.

my suggestion will be take a rental car in US and return back in canada, and when you are coming back to US, you can rent one in Canada on that day and give it back in US.

If you want to land in Canada and not be a resident of canada you should just land and apply for SIN and Leave Canada.

When you apply for Provincial medical insurance, Import your car, or apply for driver's license you are claiming that you are a resident of canada for all income tax and immigration purposes. You are claiming residency in canada hence you are taxable on your world income including US salary including any income from India etc. Now if you live outside and still have canadian driver's license and Provincial Medical insurance, it does not change anything but that you will not be able to claim these days for your PR and you will not be able to sponsor anybody else until you move to Canada physically and start living there.

Hope this is clear..

never thought about that before

bhand11683 said:
If you want to land in Canada and not be a resident of canada you should just land and apply for SIN and Leave Canada.

When you apply for Provincial medical insurance, Import your car, or apply for driver's license you are claiming that you are a resident of canada for all income tax and immigration purposes. You are claiming residency in canada hence you are taxable on your world income including US salary including any income from India etc. Now if you live outside and still have canadian driver's license and Provincial Medical insurance, it does not change anything but that you will not be able to claim these days for your PR and you will not be able to sponsor anybody else until you move to Canada physically and start living there.

Hope this is clear..

thanks for the reminding. so if I only land and apply SIN, it is not claiming my residency? my h1b expires at March. I planned to land now and after March move to canada. my driver's license also expires at March too. so in order to avoid Canada tax against my first three month us salary, I have to do everything after march. is that right?

lz

What about bank account

In addition to the PR Card and SIN, what happens if you open a regular bank account ? Would opening the bank acct by itself make you a Canadian resident for Tax purposes ?

does anyone have any information about doing business in Canada if you have a PR card and you are in the US on an H1B visa. Like run a business in Canada and travel back and forth to the US from Canada. Would really appreciate if someone is currently doing this.

Paying Taxes in Canada

Hi,
I am planning to land into Canada as PR next month. I read on their website that we have to start paying taxes once we become residents. My situation is, I am on H1B and waiting on my US green card.

So, since I am working here, Do I have to pay taxes in canada and US both?

Please let me know your valuable information regarding taxes.

Thanks in advance,
-Sri

if you land and apply for SIN only and leave Canada and do not claim your days after that as "residency in Canada", you are not liable for taxes in canada on US Income

Landing Question

I will be landing this Friday. Do I need to fill out a Parmanent Resident Card application at the Air Port?
Thanks.
-Loton

PR card have not received yet.

Guyz,

Please help, I landed via peace bridge on 10/26/04, I have not received the PR card at my friends address in canada.

Please advise.

Thanx

for bhand11683,

How can Canada tax count against the US salary?
ie.,if we have the province medical card from Canada and we are outside Canada, how can they track of how much we are earning every year in US? Our annual earning in US goes to US IRS and is there a way that Canada IRS will share this information from US IRS?
what I mean to say is, how can they track of how much we are earning outside the Canada?
Thanks.

There have been many instances where CCRA and IRS share Information between each other and this has increased a lot after 911 and also lying on any tax form or not disclosing income on either US or canadian tax filings is a criminal offence punishable by prison.

Read more on ccra cases on
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/nonresidents/menu-e.html
and read about factual residency.

If in future it is found then along with the tax, interest and penalty will have to be paid along with criminal punishment.

Rest to each his own..

RahulatDC,

What do you actually expect from this forum when you say 'Please Help' or 'Please Advise'. To be honest, the forum is filled with advices, tips and accounts of fellow members who have not got their PR cards yet. Have you bothered to do a little search and check? If you had the sense to type your plea, you surely can do a little bit of searching I wager.

It is pretty clear that you need to call CIC and follow-up and find out if you have maybe got a letter asking you to come and collect the PR cards...that seems to be happening a lot these days. Have you called CIC??

Good Luck.

maple_cartier said:
RahulatDC,

What do you actually expect from this forum when you say 'Please Help' or 'Please Advise'. To be honest, the forum is filled with advices, tips and accounts of fellow members who have not got their PR cards yet. Have you bothered to do a little search and check? If you had the sense to type your plea, you surely can do a little bit of searching I wager.

It is pretty clear that you need to call CIC and follow-up and find out if you have maybe got a letter asking you to come and collect the PR cards...that seems to be happening a lot these days. Have you called CIC??

Good Luck.

Did I address my post to you, why did you sounds so offended :confused:

Well this is an public forum, you help (which I did many time before with best of my knowledge) and you'll get help.

I have been in this process and on this forum since around 3 years, so yes, I bothered enough to did my search before posting the question, I cant call canadian PR 800 number as its works within Canada, I asked people's whose address I given while landing, they haven't got any latter (abt collecting PR's), and we dont have any website or forum for PR card tracker.

Did I call CIC? have you ever done it before, just an FYI, they only communicate through letter/faxes and they never bother to reply, as far as my understanding once immigrant landed CIC job is over and PR card office in canada usally dont reply to US address or letter received from US.

I have been in this process and on this forum since around 3 years, so yes, I bothered enough to did my search before posting the question,

I cant call canadian PR 800 number as its works within Canada,

--Correct, There is no way to call this number from outside Canada.

I asked people's whose address I given while landing, they haven't got any latter (abt collecting PR's), and we dont have any website or forum for PR card tracker.

--Ask them to call CIC and see if they can get any Info on yoru case

Did I call CIC? have you ever done it before, just an FYI, they only communicate through letter/faxes and they never bother to reply, as far as my understanding once immigrant landed CIC job is over and PR card office in canada usally dont reply to US address or letter received from US.

-- No point. They will not entertain anything from a US address /Phone

bhand11683 said:
I asked people's whose address I given while landing, they haven't got any latter (abt collecting PR's), and we dont have any website or forum for PR card tracker.

--Ask them to call CIC and see if they can get any Info on yoru case

Thats the problem buddy, as I do not have any friends or relative in canada , I found this guy known to friends of friends of friends..... :), now I dont think this guy is gonna call and take all that trouble for me.

Just an information to guyz whose planning to lend, some people getting same kind of delay (read it in an British forum) but some people getting within a month (like Julma on this site).

I wish we would have some kind of Canadian PR tracker (we have one but no one is contributing).