landing experience

Landed

My wife and I landed in Toronto Pearson on Jan 15th. It was a very pleasant experience. I was originally planning to drive to Windsor. After a freak post in a web forum that an immigration officer denied landing to someone with a one way rental , I decided to fly to Toronto. I flew Midwest non-stop from Milwaukee,WI. The airport is so small , the agents did not even know that I-94 should be taken for certain foreign trips. (I could have flown to London from Toronto). We lnded in Toronto with 7 others on the plane. We were the only plane at that time and immigration was virtually empty. The officer asked why we were in Canada and I told him that I was landing. He directed me to another immigration section which had cubicles. A young (probably recent immigrant) was our officer. She looked at the papers and mentioned that we would get our PR card in about a month. Customs was next. Again a very young customs officer with a mentor. The mentor was explaining to the officer all the procedures. I got my goods to follow list and my vehicle title stamped. On our way out we picked up the new immigrant booklet.Pretty informative and this is when we heard 'Welcome to Canada'. We applied for SIN card and opened a bank account with TD. Stayed with relatives and enjoyed 2 days in Toronto. It was more like a trip to Boston than to Canada. My wife and I are very excited and we will move permanently (contingent on a job offer) this summer. EH!

I had done my medicals in March 2004 and later buffalo consulate had requested me to send additional documents, the documents were provided on Nov 2004.

I have not received the passport request yet.

If I receive passport request before my medicals expires, how much time do I have to enter Canada.

1) Do I need to enter Canada before my medicals expire? or
2) Do have one year after I get the passport request

Thanks
-Pearl

You have 1 year from the date of medicals. If your medicals expire before you receive your visa, you will be asked to do another medical. If you get your visa just in time land ASAP.

My Landing experience

Landed at 1/16/2005, Windsor

the immigration officer ask me do I move in? I told her I just stay for two days, so she give me a copy of landing paper, use it as my entry document. and she said they will send me PR card until I gave her permenant address. that is all she asked and sent me to custom.

Custom people first told me I did wrong to rent a car enter canada. but she continue the process anyway. stamped all the documents and returned to me.

applied the SIN card next day. gave a friend's address in windsor, they did not question anything. try to exchange driver license, but since I renewed my Ohio one last year, from network, they can not find more history of my driving. so need more document for that.

get back monday throught the tunnel with my H1-B, no trouble at all.

bad weather in there, but I basically got everything I need.

LZ

Financial Statement $10, 0000

I am going to land pretty soon and come back after couple of days. Do I have to make bank draft or money order for CAD $10, 000 or i can just take Bank statement.

Thanks

landing question

LZ,
I am planning to land through the Port Huron POE on Saturday and as you did I am also planning to go to Canada for
just 2 days and come back on the Tuesday. I am driving ib a 2 way rental car and willcome back on Tuesday after H1B
revalidation in Toronto. Will that a be a problem with the immigration officers? I plan to carry a lap top and possibly
a digital camera with me. Will I be able to bring those two back with me to the US after declaring in the goods with
me now? Appreciate any info you could provide. I will post my experiences as soon as I come back.

Landing in Calgary.Giving address in Toronto.

Hi folks,

Here is my situation.

1. Want to land in calgary in Feb 2005
2. I don't have any friends in Calgary, but I do have a friend in Toronto.

Based on above condition, is it safe to give Toronto address for the PR card, while landing in Calgary

- Thanks
rr

PR Card

LZ,

So when you will get PR card. where you have to give permanet address. We can not say friend address as permanent address.

Thanks,

lz said:
Landed at 1/16/2005, Windsor

the immigration officer ask me do I move in? I told her I just stay for two days, so she give me a copy of landing paper, use it as my entry document. and she said they will send me PR card until I gave her permenant address. that is all she asked and sent me to custom.

Custom people first told me I did wrong to rent a car enter canada. but she continue the process anyway. stamped all the documents and returned to me.

applied the SIN card next day. gave a friend's address in windsor, they did not question anything. try to exchange driver license, but since I renewed my Ohio one last year, from network, they can not find more history of my driving. so need more document for that.

get back monday throught the tunnel with my H1-B, no trouble at all.

bad weather in there, but I basically got everything I need.

LZ

has anyone ever tried a Uhaul into Canada and what did they do with it then. I am planing on driving a Uhaul but then do not know what to do with it there. I can drive it back to Seatle but how would I go back to Vancouver the next day since I will not have PR card. Any idea how to handle that situation or can I just turn in Uhaul in Vancouver some place. Thanks

Landing in Calgary, giving address in Toronto for PR Card..

Can anyone please respond this situation. I am worried here. Your response is greatly appreciated.

- Thanks
rr

rgojji said:
Hi folks,

Here is my situation.

1. Want to land in calgary in Feb 2005
2. I don't have any friends in Calgary, but I do have a friend in Toronto.

Based on above condition, is it safe to give Toronto address for the PR card, while landing in Calgary

- Thanks
rr

rgojji: I honestly believe, it should not make any difference. You will be temporary and you want the card to maied to a safer place so what is the harm. You should not have problem..

got PP today & and Planning to go before May 2005

Today I got PP from Buffalo. I am planning to next month to Canada through Detroit border by rental car. Anyone have suggestion ?

Expire date of Visa is one year after medical.

I also have the same concern.

I did medical in March 2004. Was asked to pay landing fees in Nov 2004.

Today I got PP stamping from buffalo office.

When they will issue me visa, do they set visa expiry date to March 2005 (one year from medical)? or do they give some legitimate time (at least six month) to land?

If anyone has any idea, please share your experience/though.

One more question:
How should I send my passports to them? Do they accept Fedex? or I can only send USPS express mail?

Thanks.
pearl11142002 said:
I had done my medicals in March 2004 and later buffalo consulate had requested me to send additional documents, the documents were provided on Nov 2004.

I have not received the passport request yet.

If I receive passport request before my medicals expires, how much time do I have to enter Canada.

1) Do I need to enter Canada before my medicals expire? or
2) Do have one year after I get the passport request

Thanks
-Pearl

Hi waitingsince2k1,

Could you please tell me how did you send your passports to buffalo office? i.e. by fedex, by certified mail or by USPS express mail?

Thanks.

waitingsince2k1 said:
Today I got PP from Buffalo. I am planning to next month to Canada through Detroit border by rental car. Anyone have suggestion ?

Expire date of Visa is one year after medical.

gckadiwana said:
I also have the same concern.

I did medical in March 2004. Was asked to pay landing fees in Nov 2004.

Today I got PP stamping from buffalo office.

When they will issue me visa, do they set visa expiry date to March 2005 (one year from medical)? or do they give some legitimate time (at least six month) to land?

If anyone has any idea, please share your experience/though.

One more question:
How should I send my passports to them? Do they accept Fedex? or I can only send USPS express mail?

Thanks.
you will have one year from your medicals

gckadiwana said:
Hi waitingsince2k1,

Could you please tell me how did you send your passports to buffalo office? i.e. by fedex, by certified mail or by USPS express mail?

Thanks.
you can send it any way you want it to but the return has to be USPS which is mentioned in the letter so why don't oyu just use USPS from both sides. I mailed mine today through USPS and provided a return self addressed USPS envelop according to their specification

For Your Questions

srinivas26 said:
LZ,
I am planning to land through the Port Huron POE on Saturday and as you did I am also planning to go to Canada for
just 2 days and come back on the Tuesday. I am driving ib a 2 way rental car and willcome back on Tuesday after H1B
revalidation in Toronto. Will that a be a problem with the immigration officers? I plan to carry a lap top and possibly
a digital camera with me. Will I be able to bring those two back with me to the US after declaring in the goods with
me now? Appreciate any info you could provide. I will post my experiences as soon as I come back.

When I came back, just showed my passport and H1b form to him. he asked me where I am going and where I am coming from. even not step out the car. since it within 30 days, the visa is auotmatically revalidated.
I know people bring laptop and cameras over there and bring them back with no problem. but I did not bring these things.

good luck

akp158 said:
LZ,

So when you will get PR card. where you have to give permanet address. We can not say friend address as permanent address.

Thanks,

I guess if you say you will stay at that address from now on, they will send PR card to that address with no questions.

hope it helps

My Landing experience

Hello guys,
First I would like to thank this forum for answering all the doubts I had from time to time till I got my PR on
Saturday. My landing experience in detail to benefit anyone who is planning to do it in the near future.

Entered Canada through Sarnia POE on Saturday by road (rental car) at around 11:30 AM.
1) Officer at the border: Are you a US citizen?..I said NO and then "what do you do in the US?"..."I am on H1B and I
work for a company". Then the officer asked me for my passport and asked me why I was going to Canada along with other
questions like "do you have any fire arms, drugs or alcohol?" I said I am landing as a PR and said "NO" to his other questions.
When I showed him the I-94 and he took it, glanced and then returned it back to me!. He then directed me to the
immigrations building.
2) Immigration: This middle aged lady comes to the counter and asks me "What can I do for you?" When I said I was
there for my PR Landing...she asks me "Are you permanently landing today?" I said "NO". Then she says "When do you
plan to do so?" I said "in the next 6 months" and she says "why do you need 6 months for landing?" I said I have
commitments with my present employer to finish off what I am doing and then resign". She then says "that doesn't
take 6 months!" I said "I am working on a project which ends not before 6 months". She was not pleasant to talk to
and I could see her displeasure or inconvenience to do the PR formalities for me. Finally I was done with immigrations
after her explaining to me that I can't use the IMM xxx (don't remember the number) for travel and should meet the
PR obligations to hold it.BTW, it is no longer IMM 1000 that is issued to PR's.
3) Customs: Gave them list of goods to follow type written on excel sheet. They made a copy and stamped it.
All this PR formality took me 30-40 mins and I was back on the highway to Toronto.

H1B revalidation
Arrived at the consulate at around 10:40 for 11 AM appointment. After toiling in the severe cold for 20-30 mins I was
finally in the queue in the building.After about 2 hrs I had an interview where I was literally asked nothing. They just asked me
for my employers letter, do the finger printing and that's it. Since I was a landed PR, I was waived the 50 bucks
reciprocity fee and was asked to collect my passport the following day in the afternoon. I came back to the US
after collecting my passport with visa stamped and at the border, the officer was very cordial and he let me in
saying my I-94 is still valid. So I didnt have to do a new I-94 for this trip. Hope that info helps.

Congrats

Hello Srini,

Congrats on your successful landing and thanks for sharing your experience in detail. I only had one question for you. When you went to the US Consulate for getting a new visa sticker on your passport, did you also attach your valid I-94 card with the application? If not, then did they ask you for it?

Thanks again and Good luck in your future endeavours.

Stoned!