keep laminated copy of green card

How about applying for a duplicate/replacement GC in anticipation of an unforseen event?
Now you have two copies and you carry one with you always.
If that gets lost you a have another one

Neo

If so, if you travel book two tickets in case one is lost, 2 DL in case one get lost, and so on.
BTW: If you lost your GC and applied for another one and by one way or the other you find you old one, by then this will not work in any scanning machine. And I expect if you claim that your GC was lost and applied for replacement, the USCIS will de-activate the lost one (like credict cards) not to be abused by anyone.

If so, if you travel book two tickets in case one is lost, 2 DL in case one get lost, and so on.
Not a good comparison, because the airline ticket does not need to be carried anywhere except the airport; it can be stored in a safe place until the day of the flight. And with e-tickets these days it usually isn't necessary to carry a physical ticket at all. As for driver's licenses, they can be replaced within a few weeks (same day in some states) for a small amount of money like $25.
BTW: If you lost your GC and applied for another one and by one way or the other you find you old one, by then this will not work in any scanning machine. And I expect if you claim that your GC was lost and applied for replacement, the USCIS will de-activate the lost one (like credict cards) not to be abused by anyone.
True, the "lost" green card would only be useful for showing to people who isn't going to verify it electronically.

carrying it is for a peace of mind. not is totally OK. this topic has been discussed many times. my own conclusion, to me only, is NO, NO, NO... no need to carry it.

I have been living in the US for about 10 years, and never been asked for immigration document, even at the situations stopped by police for speeding, going to court, extensive air fight within the US…

Someone else's experience was that you might get $100 fine if caught. I would rather pay the fine.

True, the "lost" green card would only be useful for showing to people who isn't going to verify it electronically.

How you know that the official who supposed to inforce the law, if any, do not have scanning machine to know if this is the right card or stolen and in other hand.

Criminal can do better with DL than GC. I have never been asked to show GC except for employment and at POE, but had to show DL a million times for various applications.
Never understand why people are so concerned about GC more than anything.

Having said that, I don't carry it because the back side of the card is sooo shiny and beautiful and I don't want to scratch.:eek:

Hehe, it does have a nice rear (hehe). Anyway, forget getting robbed. My mom took her GC out with her because she needed it for something once. Then, a few months later, she realised she couldn't find it. After another couple of months, it was in one of her purses that she was using at the time, in a side pocket. THAT was a scare. I was blamed for misplacing it until then (because I had taken it to make a copy). So, anyway, now it doesn't leave the 'immigration box' in which all immigration-related stuff is kept.

How you know that the official who supposed to inforce the law, if any, do not have scanning machine to know if this is the right card or stolen and in other hand.
You don't know. The deactivated card is useless when confronted by officials unless the official is simply going to look at it and accept it at face value without swiping it (if you are stopped at one of those random ICE checkpoints on the road, perhaps they don't always have the equipment there to swipe it).

Those are very interesting videos. Thanks

To me, DL is good enough for the checkpoint after I watched these videos. They just ask for a ID to run your identity, such as name, address, DOB..., not a immigration document.

It's where they stop cars on the road or people on the street to inquire about their immigration status. It is common in towns close to the Canadian or Mexican border, but sometimes they have them farther inland.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrFRObbSDDo

Technically they are CBP checkpoints, not ICE.

original GC not carried at the checkpoint

It's where they stop cars on the road or people on the street to inquire about their immigration status. It is common in towns close to the Canadian or Mexican border, but sometimes they have them farther inland.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrFRObbSDDo

Technically they are CBP checkpoints, not ICE.

Recently, few days ago, we have been stopped at such checkpoint. Very surprisingly, since we travelled in this area (Adirondack Park) for vacation last several years, and have never seen this checkpoint and never stopped, and we simply were not prepared. This year we simply exited the park through another road and it turned out that there was a checkpoint on the way to NY city - immigration documents were checked from randomly (?) chosen cars. It was quite far from the Canadian border... They chose our car and asked for immigration documents. I had my GC with me (normally I do not carry it with me, only when travelling), and my spouse did not have GC, only B/W copy (normally carries GC all times but this time decided to leave home since we planned to camp for a week+).
We became nervious and I showed my GC and we looked for the spouse's copy but could not find it quickly...the officer looked how we searched and I think he saw all other docs from my spouse (DL, credit cards, work ID) and he asked are you two married? same last name? country of citizenship? where you come from? where are you going? - and he was satisfied with our answers and he let us go, luckily without any fine for not showing spouse's GC.
Well we were very happy and now we will both of course carry original GCs when travelling, even camping..:)

--- is this really necessary, folks?

I think you may find the answer clear if you just stopped at any immigration court you like to find out how many cases in the court role for that day found to be not carrying their GC and caught because of that.

I think you may find the answer clear if you just stopped at any immigration court you like to find out how many cases in the court role for that day found to be not carrying their GC and caught because of that.
Good suggestion. Any one has a clue or has been the court and noticed there is someone there because of not carring GC?