Keep green card in and after citizenship ceremony

The first thing they do at the ceremony is take back everyone's Green Cards. It's well before you are sworn in and get your Natz Cert.

There is no way around it, your Green Card is taken from you. You will not be able to keep it for any reason.

If you want a souviner. Photo copy...

Would not be a bad idea at the time of intervew to ask Interviewer at your respective DO if you can keep original Green Card as a record and souviner.

Dont expect an answer yes, but nothing wrong in asking.

You can "lose" it a few days before the ceremony and file a police report as proof, but I wouldn't recommend that.

I had thought about it, and then kept it to myself, because this would be illegal. At the very least it is filing a false police report. I don't think it is worth it.

I had thought about it, and then kept it to myself, because this would be illegal. At the very least it is filing a false police report. I don't think it is worth it.

filing a false police report=state crime
telling that USCIS that card was lost when it was not=federal crime.

I would like to keep it as souvenir

As much as I treasure my GC, it will be a relief to get rid of something that I will have to be responsible for.

It can put me in a very difficult situation if it gets lost or stolen, then used illegaly by someone.

I can think of many countries where a GC can fetch a significant amount of money.

I have 2 green cards, one that has my old name and one with my new name. Do I have to turn both of them in?