Kansas City MO - N-400 Timeline

We took our Oath today, nearly 12 months from application. So our journey through USCIS is complete and all we need now are the passports.

Parking at the US District Court of Kansas, 500 State Ave is tight. We parked in an abandoned parking lot on the south east corner of State Ave and N 5th St. You are allowed cameras inside the courthouse, but are not allowed any phones, pdas, computers etc, so cell phone cameras are not allowed. We arrived about 12pm for a scheduled 12:30pm start, and after clearing the security barrier waited in the jury pool waiting room. At about 12:30pm USCIS officials started taking batches of pending citizens to the 6th floor, while spectators (family/children etc) waited in the jury room. You were allowed water etc in the waiting area, but not in the 6th floor court room.

On the 6th floor in a separate area they checked our answers on the back of the appointment form, collected our permanent residency cards, and had us signed the Naturalization Certificates. Sign your name as it is printed on the certificate, which should be your full name. They provided rollerball/felt type indelible pens. Then we sat in the spectator area in the rear of the court room. Once all the pending citizens were processed they verbally led us through the process, and then called us in name order (according to their sheets, it was not alphabetical) to sit in the front area. After that USCIS officials brought up all the spectators to sit at the back of the court room.

The ceremony started about 2pm and lasted just over 45 minutes. After the end we received our certificates and could attend a reception back in the jury waiting area where you could register to vote. If you waited until the court room was empty a USCIS official would take your picture in the courtroom next to the American flag with your camera. There was a US Postal official present at the reception to answer questions about passports and hand out forms, but they were not accepting applications and USCIS specifically recommended that you copy your certificate before applying for a passport. By the time we had photographs and registered to vote it was after 3pm, so we drove home and will apply for passports the next morning.

And that was it! Simple and straightforward. Make sure you eat well before entering, and take any necessary restroom break before entering the court room. Anyone making noise in the court room was evicted, so children need to be older and/or with an adult not taking the oath.

Nebraska Service Center (NSC) / Kansas City District Office (KCMO) / Kansas resident
07/13/07 N-400 application posted
07/16/07 N-400 application received by USCIS
07/16/07 Priority date
07/17/07 Check cashed
07/23/07 Receipt notice generated
07/27/07 Receipt notice received by us
07/25/07 Fingerprint notice generated
07/30/07 Fingerprint notice received by us
08/10/07 Fingerprints scheduled & taken
xx/11/07 Passed background check, placed in interview scheduling queue (before 14th Nov)
12/17/07 Interview notice generated
12/21/07 Interview notice received by us
02/06/08 Interview scheduled, taken and passed, N-652 received
05/09/08 Called USCIS helpdesk at 93 days, sent query to District Office
05/28/08 N-445 Oath Ceremony notice generated
05/31/08 N-445 Oath Ceremony notice received by us
06/27/08 Oath Ceremony scheduled & taken at US District Court Kansas, Kansas City, KS

I went to my infopass appointment today. it was a joke. I was told that case is pending and with the supervisor. I have heard the same over the phone several time. whats the point of having this face to face appointmet? it is just a waste of time.

We got our N-445 today.

The June 15th USCIS Kansas City DO N-400 processing dates are now posted and show July 15, 2007. This would match my time line of 07/13/07 priority date and 06/27/08 Oath ceremony. Given the time lines of those of you waiting, I'm wondering if they are trying to clear the older approved cases based on priority date for Oath first, and not necessarily based on the interview date.

We received our notice of naturalization oath ceremony today(N-445). Cermony is at US Dist Court House, Topeka, KS.

NCS - Kansas City DO
07/18/07: Priority Date
08/16/07: Finger Print Date
02/07/08: Interview date(Passed)
07/03/08: Oath Letter Received.(147 Days after the interview)
07/25/08: Oath ceremony at Topeka.

OPKS2: Congrats, the wait is nearly over. I used the online passport form to pre-prepare our passport applications before the Oath ceremony. That way I could apply immediately we became citizens.

pleasehelp08: Unfortunately I think they are swamped right now, still dealing with last year's backlog. I know that does not help you, and I understand why you want this resolved. All I can counsel right now is to have patience - they will get to your case and either ask for more information or make a decision. Even with an approved interview it took me nearly 4 months to receive the Oath letter.

We received our notice of naturalization oath ceremony today(N-445). Cermony is at US Dist Court House, Topeka, KS.

NCS - Kansas City DO
07/18/07: Priority Date
08/16/07: Finger Print Date
02/07/08: Interview date(Passed)
07/03/08: Oath Letter Received.(147 Days after the interview)
07/25/08: Oath ceremony at Topeka.

same here..so we both will be taking the Oath together ...

OPKS: Do you live in Overland Park? If you do, why are they sending you to topeka for oath? what is the date on your oath letter? I mean the print date.

ProudPal? what is the dae on your letter?

Just wondering if they printed the oath letters on the same day for july 25th.

OPKS: Do you live in Overland Park? If you do, why are they sending you to topeka for oath? what is the date on your oath letter? I mean the print date.

ProudPal? what is the dae on your letter?

Just wondering if they printed the oath letters on the same day for july 25th.

Hi Pleasehelp08,
Yes I live in OP, KS. Not sure why USCIS scheduled my oath ceremony at Topeka, but I don't mind going to Topeka for the ceremony.
I assume there is a backlog for the Oath ceremony and DO is trying to catch up by scheduling oath ceremony at all venues around KCK.
Oath letter Printed: 06/30/08
Oath Letter sent: 07/01/08(Post office stamp)
Oath Letter received: 07/03/08

OPKS2: Congrats, the wait is nearly over. I used the online passport form to pre-prepare our passport applications before the Oath ceremony. That way I could apply immediately we became citizens.

Thanks KCKFS for your suggestion about preparing the passport froms in advance. We will keep them ready before the ceremony.
One quick question, Do we need to write our name or sign in the N-445 form?

For the N-445 sign your name and date it for the day of the Oath ceremony. You are supposed to complete it on the day itself.

For the passport applications do NOT sign it, since you must sign it in the presence of the person accepting your application after they have checked your documentation.

I applied for an expedited passport on Saturday 6/28 at 9:30am and the passport arrived back 8 calendar days later (4 business days!) on Saturday 7/5 at 10am. The families passports were sent standard processing and we are waiting for these. The post office said about 2 to 3 weeks.

I just found your forum. I have a question on the day of the Oath Ceremony being held in Topeka, KS. I'm scheduled for July 25th at 8:00 AM. When does the actual ceremony start? Does anyone know? I was told it would take at least 2 hours before the actual ceremony but that was supposed to be at the courthouse in downtown KC. But now that it will take place in Topeka, should friends and family be there at 8 also? Appreciate any help on this matter.

cutelilmonkey: I have question if you please tell me your priority date, interview date and the date you received your oath letter. This will give me an idea about my oath. I am waiting for it and I check my mail box everyday.
Thanks

cutelilmonkey...For the Kansas City court house the prospective citizens had to be there at 12:30pm for a 2pm ceremony. I recommend you call the court house directly as they should know when the actual ceremony talks place since the judge will be scheduled for that time, and they will also be easier to get hold of than USCIS.

pleasehelp08: It seems that Kansas City and Topeka normally run one ceremony per month. From the dates posted around here it seems that both do them at the end of the month, with the Oath notices mailed and arriving at the beginning of the month of the ceremony.

I called USCIS couple of weeks ago and I was told that my file has been transfered to supervisor on june 23, 08. I had infor pass appt. in first week of july and was told that its under review. Today (july 10) I called USCIS again to get the status and was transfered to IO who told me the file was transfered to supervisor on June 30, 08. first june 23 and today june 30. don't know If I can believe USCIS.

Hi all,
I got my oath letter today (7/12/2008). My oath will be on the 25th of July 2008 at Topeka..

Pleasehelp08 : Here are the details you wanted..
Date on Oath Letter : 7/7/2008
Oath Letter Mailed : 7/10/2008
Oath Letter received : 7/12/2008
Hope this information helps..

Thanks all..

Congrats Sudo
Do you live in topeka?
Our interview date was same but I haven't received my oath letter yet. Whenever I call USCIS, I get a different date. dont know whats going on. did you call USCIS after interview and before getting oath letter?

Congrats Sudo
Do you live in topeka?
Our interview date was same but I haven't received my oath letter yet. Whenever I call USCIS, I get a different date. dont know whats going on. did you call USCIS after interview and before getting oath letter?

Thanks Pleasehelp08,
I think they are sending out oath letters for July 2008 oath, some have already been sent out and some should be on the way.. i hope yours is also on the way..

I did not call USCIS about my oath, i was just waiting for it.. would have called them in a month or so if i did not get my oath then..

No i do not live in Topeka, i live in Overland Park..

Hope this help..