Indian visa after us citizen

I also send emails to NDTV, TIMES NOW and CNN_IBN about this discrimination by the SFO Consulate. We need more volunteers to start sending letters and emails to our Senators, Congressman. Also we should contact the local desi channels and newspapers. If required we can stage a Protest/Dharna in front of the consulate. We need more asylees to come forward for their rights. The Indian Constitution does not state that Indians will lose citizenship if they apply for asylum abroad. The Consulate is acting on its own without any provisions of Indian Laws/Constitution. They are trying to use their own moral values or Moral Policing. We also need to contact the Human Rights Commission in New Delhi. Volunteers needed to move forward....

HI JIM
i AM WITH YOU AND WILL SUPPORT THE EFFORTS YOU ARE TRYING TO MAKE HERE. i WILL REQUEST ALL OF MY AQUIANTENCES TO SEND THIS LETTER TO DHS- SO THAT SF, DIPLOMATS SHOULD KNOW NOT TO USE U.S. DOCUMENTS AGAINST THEIR OWN U.S. CITIZENS- UGLY DISCRIMINATORS.

indian visa issues

I applied my visa on august 14th.. They send my passport back stating that, they need clerance from home minstry India. My application is still in process. but there is no processing time... ANYONE CAN GUESS...how long it will take for this?

deleted

I applied my visa on august 14th.. They send my passport back stating that, they need clerance from home minstry India. My application is still in process. but there is no processing time... ANYONE CAN GUESS...how long it will take for this?

Last edited by a moderator:
@jim hi i got my indian/US passport back without visa but they didnot put any stamp stating A status.I just have a renunciation stamp on my indian passport.

There are some options but I know you will always take the right path. The first few suggestions are for you and the rest for other asylees who want the desi way:

1. Write a decent letter to Sushma Thomas - Consulate General, SFO. Explain your situation and remind her the promise she made as per the post above. Also send a letter to the Indian Ambassador Ms Meera Shankar in Washington. They are woman first and Indian later, if they are unable to help you....they do not belong to the India we left. If this is the Indian Culture why do we want to visit India?

2. Write a letter to Tarlochan Singh asking him to to discuss this matter with the Home Ministry. You can send the letter by regular Air-Mail USPS. Send all you case information so he can get clearance for you:
Tarlochan Singh
Member of Parliament
Rajya Sabha
B-5 Dr. Zakir Hussain Marg, New Delhi-3
India.

3.Also write a letter to Manmohan Singh similar to above asking him to intervene. It is always better to mail the letter by USPS Air-Mail:
Mr Manmohan Singh
Prime Minister of India
South Block, Raisina Hill,
New Delhi,
India-110 101.
Telephone: 91-11-23012312.
Fax: 91-11-23019545 / 91-11-23016857.

4. I know you will not like this but other asylees may apply from New York, Washington, Chicago or Houston as posted above.

5. You can visit Nepal, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka and then enter India with assistance from a travel agent.The travel agent will charge you INR 5000 which is the same as the visa fees. Never tell the agent that you are US citizen else will ask more money. Just say visiting from Burma or Bangkok. You can even fly from Nepal to Delhi if you have some valid Indian ID like Voter ID, PAN Card. If not these can be made with the help of your friends/relatives in India.

Remember Twinkle Twinkle: with truth there is ALWAYS a way.

@jim hi i got my indian/US passport back without visa but they didnot put any stamp stating A status.I just have a renunciation stamp on my indian passport.

My dear friend

It is not the Indian Embassy. It is only the San Francsico Consulate. You can still get the visa from the Embassy in Washington or the consulate in NY, CHI or HOU.

FYI they are not denying for the cake but they consider these young kids as terrorism threat. She want to go there for her marriage and I do not see any threat. The SFO Consulate needs to get clearance from Home Ministry in India. The terrorist come to India without any visas from across the border not PIOs from USA.

There is no law in the Indian Constitution to deny citizenship to asylees. Hence they wait till your Indian Passport expire or you get US passport. This is only Moral Policing of the SFO consulate. It just started in June 1, 2010. All other asylees who had applied earlier than June 1, 2010 got their visas, pios and ocis.

May God bless you, India and employees of Indian Consulate in SFO; and God bless the United States of America.

I don't Blame Indian embassy for not issuing you guys visa. You can't eat and have your cake too.

Hey Jim,

I totally with you on this Bro. Lets do this. Can you prepare a letter like above for the indian ambassador Meera Shankar and SFO consulate and post it here. I can mail them out and have a asylees I know send out too. Let's just send to every person we can like our US rep, senator and Human rights org, etc and dont forget the main Indian embassy in Washington. I think for SFO consulate its a way to make money off of us. I came across a person that wants $3000 to get me the Indian visa without any paper work in one day, I know people that paid him and got the visa. Majority of Indian asylees in California thats the reason only SFO consulate is doing this, its way to make easy money. I wont pay anyone to get indian visa.

hey twinkle twinkle.. did they give any reason or u called them and asked that what happened? ..now i'm afraid to apply coz i'll just end up wasting my hard earned money and not get the visa..

Ms. Meera Shankar
Indian Ambassador to the United States
2107 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20008

September 13, 2010

Dear Ambassador

I would like to bring to your kind attention the discrimination, injustice and corruption at the San Francisco Consulate. This consulate has been recently asking for copies of Green Card, Employment Authorization Card, original passport used to enter USA first time and I-130 from the visa applicants. This can be confirmed from the link to their website below:

cgisf.org/visa/visa.html

Applicants are not being informed in advance that the consulate does not issue Indian Entry Visas if they or their parents, grand parents had applied Asylum in USA. Once the visa officers come to know about any asylum background of the applicant, they return their passports and inform that clearance is needed from the Ministry of Home Affairs, India. This information the consulate provides is misleading as they are luring the same applicants for USD 3000 to issue the visas.

Some of these applicants had traveled to India before on their Indian Passports. The immigration officers at the Indian airports would detain them on the basis of the asylum codes on the green card. Then after paying a huge sum in US dollars the officers will let them free. Is there any Indian Law that legalizes this corruption? As it is rightly said by the outgoing CVC “One out of Three person in the Indian Government is Corrupt”.

The People of Indian Origin on the West Coast are very much disturbed by this profiling of the San Francisco Consulate. We have got together to stop this discrimination and corrupt practice of the consulate. We will highly appreciate if you can step in to curb this injustice and discrimination.

Sincerely
XYZ

Hey Jim,

I totally with you on this Bro. Lets do this. Can you prepare a letter like above for the indian ambassador Meera Shankar and SFO consulate and post it here. I can mail them out and have a asylees I know send out too. Let's just send to every person we can like our US rep, senator and Human rights org, etc and dont forget the main Indian embassy in Washington. I think for SFO consulate its a way to make money off of us. I came across a person that wants $3000 to get me the Indian visa without any paper work in one day, I know people that paid him and got the visa. Majority of Indian asylees in California thats the reason only SFO consulate is doing this, its way to make easy money. I wont pay anyone to get indian visa.

I made a quick letter for your reference. You can use the same or be more informative/creative. Letters to the senators/congressman/USCIS can be copied as the one for Secretary Janet Napolitano above. You can find your senators and congressman from the link below:

senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Hey Jim,

Hello asylee_boy
Below is a letter I am sending today to President Obama. You will have to add your name, address, phone and email at the bottom or on top. You can change the content to be more creative/informative. All of us should make effort to send at least 4 letters each to the President, Senator, Congressman, etc.

Mr. Barack Obama
The President of the United States
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20500

September 13, 2010

Dear Mr. President

Recently there have been cases reported to us that the Indian Consulate in San Francisco is denying visas to US citizens of Indian Origin based on the asylum codes printed on immigration documents like green card/EAD/I-130 and US visas. The issuance of Indian Visas is the sole prerogative of the consulate and we do not want to interfere in their decision making process.

The consulate is requesting all visa applicants of Indian Origin to submit copies as per the link:
cgisf.org/visa/visa.html
Copies of documents like Green Card/EAD/I-130 and the Indian Passport on which first entered USA at the time of naturalization required in support of our applications can be obtained by request from USCIS under the freedom of Information ACT.

These documents have codes (AS6, EB2, B1/B2, H1, etc.) only to be interpreted by US Government officials. These codes are being used to discriminate US citizens and US residents who have sought asylum. These are the people who had left their home countries because of an immediate threat to their lives based on their caste, religious belief, Honor Killings, etc. The only reason they came to USA was for freedom to live. There are times they need to visit their country of birth for their old ailing parents/friends or relatives and for other impending religious, social/cultural purposes. Many of these people have been detained at Indian airports because of these category codes, tortured and forced to pay handsome amount of US dollars to be freed.

We have some recommendations for your USCIS department but I am confident that your officials will have better solutions to end this discrimination:

1. The above documents like Green Card/EAD/I-130 and US Visas should not carry these category codes in Print. These codes should be changed and embedded in the magnetic/electronic strip only to be decoded by US government officials.
2. If any US citizen makes request for a copy of above documents under FOIA, the copy provided by the USCIS should have these category codes defaced.
3. The law which makes it punishable to make copies of Naturalization Certificate, GC, EAD, I-130 except for US government purposes should be implemented.

Kindly include this discrimination and human rights issue in your agenda when you meet the Indian Prime Minister Mr. Manmohan Singh this November. We highly appreciate your hard work and all efforts for this great nation. May God keep blessing the United States of America.

Sincerely

Hey Jim,

Hey Twinkle Twinkle

Did they charge any fees for the visa? Can you give us more information as this will help other forum users. Is there a letter of denial? any more info you can share. Does it state that clearance needed from Ministry of Home Affairs in New Delhi.

yes, i sent them money order, they didn't return back to me and letter says your application is still in process, need clereance from indian govt.

@jim hi i went to indian consulate personally next day after applying at travisa and got no answer from them!! so at indian consulate this officer stamped my indian passports wit cancel stamp n returned my indian n US passport back and stated _we need clearance frm new delhi n it can take upto 9 months...so i didnt even get any letter and my application status is still pending.so i ve my US passport without any letter or stamp!i made multiple efforts calling CG secretary writing her a letter explaining my situation but answer was very cold!! that we r sorry u ve to wait regardless! i made multiple trips to consulate after hrs of wait they would close thier door on u!! so making any attemps at consulate is useless..people dont waste ur time n money!!

Passport Renewal for Asylees

If any asylee with a permanent resident card has unexpired Indian Passport....
Please do not wait till your Indian Passport expire. Make a trip to India before the expiration of your Indian Passport. Renew your passport in India and come back to USA with your renewed passport and GC. No problems...

If you send your passport to renewal to the consulate in SFO... you will never get your Indian Passport.

This is for asylees who have GC and not yet eligible for US citizenship.

You can send me a private message if you do not feel comfortable to share your info on this forum. Also please try to share all your experience with the consulate for the Indian Visas. Keep this forum alive.

JIM

indian visa for asylees minor kids.

Hi Jim,
Is there any problem for asyless US born minor kids in getting visas or pio cards. Any information from your side or anybody's else will be highly appreciated.

You can apply for the Entry Visa as per the requirement from the Travisa website below

India Visa Requirements - Applying by Mail
Entry Visa Information: On June 1, 2010, the Embassy of India updated the requirements for former Indian Nationals.

Per requirements of the Indian Ministry of External Affairs, an Entry visa is granted in the following circumstances:

•Applicant is a person of Indian Origin, defined as a person who has held Indian nationality, or a child or grandchild of a person who has held Indian nationality.
•Applicant is a spouse or child of a person of Indian origin.
•Applicant is a spouse or dependent family member of a foreign national coming to India on long term visa such as Employment, Business, Research or Student. In such cases, the visa duration granted is co-terminus with the period of the principal visa holder.
Please note the visa is valid beginning on the day it is issued. So a 6 Month visa issued on January 1 would be valid until June 30.

To obtain a visa to India by mail, you must complete these requirements. These requirements apply to United States citizens applying for a Entry Visa.

1.Application: Complete the online
After the application has been completed, you must print and sign the application.
2.Passport: Passport must have a minimum validity of six months from the date of application with at least two blank visa pages. Last 2 amendment pages are not acceptable. Must be the actual passport not a copy because your visa will be stamped in the actual passport.
3.Photographs: 2 latest identical passport size photographs (black/white or color) depicting front pose against light background on photographic paper. No glasses are allowed to be worn in the photo. Follow the instructions on the India Visa Application on how to affix the photos to the application.
4.Proof of Address: Applicants must submit a photocopy with proof of residence/address that matches the present address on the visa application exactly. Photocopy of state issued ID (Driver License or ID), or major utility bill (Water, Gas, Electric, Sewage) must be submitted. If you don't bring a copy, we will make a photocopy for you for $2.00.

The following items are not accepted: cell phone bill, credit card statement, bank statement or lease. The address cannot include a P.O. box.

For minors, a proof of address from both parents or a legal guardian may be submitted instead.
5.Copy of Birth Certificate: A photocopy of the birth certificate or any government issued document that shows parents name, date of birth and nationality. Depending on your nationality at birth, these are the documents that are accepted.

◦US Born: Only birth certificates are accepted for applicants born in the US.
◦Indian Born: Those born in India can use their birth certificate, old Indian passport or school leaving certificate.
◦All Others: Those not born in the US or India should submit a birth certificate or any government document from the country of origin that has parents name, date of birth and nationality. Must be translated into English and notarized.

You should not send the originals - we cannot be responsible for original documents. If you don't bring a copy, we will make a photocopy for you for $2.00.
6.Parents' Passport Copies: A copy of the vital page(s) containing the picture and signature page of both parents signed passports. For Minor Applicants only.
7.Spouses and Children or Grandchildren of Persons of Indian Origin: Non Indian spouse and children or grandchildren must produce proof of relationship with the Person of Indian Origin.
◦The Non Indian spouse must provide a marriage certificate and a copy of spouses Indian passport, or naturalization certificate that shows previous nationality is Indian.
◦Non Indian children must provide a birth certificate along with a copy of parents Indian passport(s), or naturalization certificate that shows previous nationality is Indian.
◦Non Indian grandchildren must provide a copy of the grandparents passport or a government issued document showing that their grandparents held Indian citizenship, and their parents birth certificate. This will show the Non Indian grandchild's relationship to the Person who has held Indian Nationality.
8.Spouses and Dependent Children of Long Term India Visa Holders: Spouse and dependent children of a foreign national coming to India on a visa such as Employment, Business, Research or Student must produce proof of relationship. The spouse must provide a marriage certificate. Non Dependent children must provide a birth certificate. The spouse and dependent children must provide a copy of the passport and a copy of the visa issued to the principle visa holder.
9.Dual Citizenship: Applicants who have dual citizenship with the US and another country must apply on their US passport, if living in the US. The exception is for applicants who hold dual citizenship with Pakistan. Persons who have held Pakistani citizenship, and have also acquired US citizenship must apply for a visa on their Pakistani passport. When applying for the visa on the Pakistani passport it is required to complete the Special Pakistan application, and submit all requirements. Please click here for the Special Pakistan application: (https://www.indian-visa.com/pdf/Pakistan.pdf)
10.Long Term Visa Holders Registration:
Registration formalities for foreigners visiting India on Long Term Visa

List of documents required at the time of registration with the Foreigners Registration Officer.

(i) Photocopy of the passport and initial visa.
(ii) Four photographs of the applicant.
(iii) Details of residence in India.
(iv) Copy of the marriage certificate in case of those seeking extension of stay on grounds of being married to an Indian national.
(v) Bona-fide certificate from the University/college/institution in case of student visa.
(vi) Accreditation certificate from the Press Information Bureau in case of Journalist visa.
(vii) Approval of the Department of Company Affairs in the case of board level appointees in Public limited companies.
(viii) Two copies of the approval of Government of India in case of a joint venture or a collaboration.
(ix) Terms and conditions of appointments and copy of contract or agreements, in case of employment visa.
(x) Undertaking (in the format given below) from the concerned Indian company on the following lines in case of employment/business visa: -
UNDERTAKING
We take full responsibility for the activities and conduct of Mr./Mrs. ___________________ national of ____________ during his/her stay in India. If anything adverse comes to notice during this period, we undertake to repatriate him/her on our cost.
Date: Signature of competent authority
Seal: (of the Company)

11.Processing Time: Applications sent by mail for US citizens born in the US take approximately 7 - 9 working/business days to process from the date of receipt.

Non-refundable tickets or reservations should not be purchased until all visas and passports are secured and in your possession. Terms and Conditions.
12.Fees:
A Processing Service Fee of $13.00 will be collected by Travisa Outsourcing per application, per passport. All fees are non refundable. Preferable method of payment is Money Order (Payable to Travisa Outsourcing) , payment with a Credit Card may cause a delay. If payment is not paid in full, processing delays will occur. If you are a member of the US Military and you are applying from Iraq, please enclose your prepaid airbill. The payment method should be selected when completing the visa application.

Fees are broken down accordingly:
Entry Visa
Valid For: Consular Fee Processing
Service Fee Total
6 Months Multiple Entry
$100.00 $13.00 $113.00
1 Year Multiple Entry
$140.00 $13.00 $153.00
5 Years Multiple Entry
$220.00 $13.00 $233.00

All Consular Fees and Processing Fees are NONREFUNDABLE, even if a visa is denied or if a visa is issued for a shorter period of time or otherwise issued or returned at a time or on terms and conditions that vary from those sought by the applicant.

Travisa Outsourcing is a service company only. Travisa Outsourcing does not issue visas or in any way determine or control the issuance of, or terms and conditions of, visas all of which is determined and controlled solely by the Consulates of the Embassy of India. Travisa Outsourcing is not and cannot be responsible for any determinations, acts or omissions by the Consulates.

Shipping Options

$0.00 - Travisa Outsourcing uses your Prepaid Airbill. Please send a prepaid self-addressed USPS or UPS envelope that has a tracking number.

As a convenience, Travisa Outsourcing can generate a FedEx airbill that can be used for mailing your passport(s) to the appropriate Travisa Outsourcing office. The following rates are applied in each direction. Please note that each passport in the package should be counted, including expired Indian passports.

$21.00 - FedEx Overnight to United States: 1 - 3 passports in the same package
$32.00 - FedEx Overnight to United States: 4 - 6 passports in the same package
$32.00 - FedEx Overnight to United States: Saturday delivery (Not available for shipment to Travisa Outsourcing)
$39.00 - FedEx Overnight to Puerto Rico: 1 - 3 passports in the same package
$49.00 - FedEx Overnight to Puerto Rico: 4 - 6 passports in the same package
$52.00 - FedEx Overnight to Bermuda
$52.00 - FedEx Overnight to US Virgin Islands
$89.00 - FedEx to Guam

13.Location: Mail completed requirements to the following location:

Travisa India Outsourcing
965 Mission Street, Suite #110
San Francisco, CA 94103 Include the 9 digit Application Id of all applications on the bottom right of the shipping envelope for tracking purposes. We strongly recommend using a trackable method such as FedEx.
Check Your Application Status online.

Email: sanfrancisco@travisaoutsourcing.com
Phone: (415) 644-0149
Fax: (415) 644-0158
Please note that India is jurisdictional. You gave your state as California. You may only apply through the San Francisco consulate.

Hi Jim,
Is there any problem for asyless US born minor kids in getting visas or pio cards. Any information from your side or anybody's else will be highly appreciated.