Immigration Service fingerprints of greencard holders at airport,Greencard rights are protected

Does it matter to you either way? My grandfather, just before he passed away, told me something that I consider priceless for such situations. He said, "The best thing about the truth is, you don't have to remember what you said" :)

Btw do they save any comments about the conversation between gc holder and CBP which they can review next time?

Ordinary. If I was a POE inspector and dealing with a GC holder who was away for 5 months and intending to be away for another 4 months, my line of questioning would have been a tad toughter than what you encountered. You do realise you made a cardinal mistake? When asked, "how long you will stay this trip", you answered the question and then volunteered information that was not asked for!!!

Was my example of entry conversation special or ordinary?

You do realise you made a cardinal mistake? When asked, "how long you will stay this trip", you answered the question and then volunteered information that was not asked for!!!

Why mistake? I was nervous and told him truth. I think I would happen worse if I would have just answered: "10 days".

Read over what you wrote in the first post.

Officer: "How long will stay on this trip?"

Me: "Don't know exactly, up to couple weeks, then I have to leave for school for 4 months and than coming back for good"

The officer asked you how long a stay during this trip. Your answer is fine uptil the word "weeks". What follows after the comma is volunteered information that was not asked for. Had the officer then asked you "How long will you be out during that trip", then your answer of "around 4 months" would have been fine. You see my point?

Why mistake? I was nervous and told him truth. I think I would happen worse if I would have just answered: "10 days".

LOL @ TripleCitizen - I don't know how long you've been giving this advice on here. When will folks listen right?

Just answer the question as asked with as little detail as possible - never volunteer information. :)

:) I will not be talking so much next time :)

By the way ... Can green card holder be turned away if he/she couple times keeps pattern 5 months -> brief stay -> 5 months -> ... provinding fact he/she has good reason and proper documentation?

They COULD take away the GC, but since 5 months+brief stay+5 months could add up to less than a year, you could still explain your reasons and be allowed in, especially if you have proof. I've done it a few times, and I've never been questioned. Touch wood.

:) I will not be talking so much next time :)

By the way ... Can green card holder be turned away if he/she couple times keeps pattern 5 months -> brief stay -> 5 months -> ... providing fact he/she has good reason and proper documentation?

You would never be turned away - there is still the rule of law here... You could however be placed in removal proceedings. Basically the CBP or IO deems you have abandoned or lost your residency, takes away the green card, and serves you with papers to appear in court. A judge will then decide whether or not to strip you of your residency. Sound fun?

You would never be turned away - there is still the rule of law here... You could however be placed in removal proceedings. Basically the CBP or IO deems you have abandoned or lost your residency, takes away the green card, and serves you with papers to appear in court. A judge will then decide whether or not to strip you of your residency. Sound fun?

I just hope that wouldn't be my case. I can just pray, because my ties to America are weak (only ID, bank account and friend's address) - on the other hand I do not have much strong ties to Europe (my citizenship and parents).

So I just rely on my papers proving the fact, that my trip out of U.S. was only temporary (last year of school).

I am a GC holder, my job as a consultant requires me to be outside the USA, I come back every 5 months, present my report to my boss and return again back and forth. I have the necessary documents and have never been asked questions.

I have taken 4 trips totaling about 315 days, and have been asked exactly once where I was: it was my last trip in 2008 for about 5 months. I said "to see my fiancee" and he just said "welcome home" and gave me my GC/passport back.

Ok, so it seems that I have high chance if I don't underestimate things ...

Another question that I couldn't find answer:

Do you think that it is possible to file form AR-11 while outside the U.S. and could it weaker ties to the country?

It may happen that I will find new accomodation (via phone or internet) while I am outside. Say, now I am resident of NYC and possess valid new york state ID. I will find an accomodation in different state , say, Dallas in Texas. Can I just file AR-11 and travel thru Dallas POE ?

In that case I wouldn't obviously have texas's ID nor driver license ...

There is no need to file AR-11 while outside the US. File it after you re-enter the US.

Thats OK. But upon arrival to the U.S. which address to fill on custom declaration form?

I guess that address on the form must match with the same one I provided with USCIS? And ID also?

Thats OK. But upon arrival to the U.S. which address to fill on custom declaration form?
The address you're going to stay at.

I guess that address on the form must match with the same one I provided with USCIS? And ID also?
No it doesn't have to match. The main concern is that you have a US license, not that it is for any particular state. If they ask for the license and notice the address doesn't match, you can simply explain that you're moving to a new place and will update the license and file AR-11.

thanks Jackolantern!

btw just for curiosity. During my trip once I had to stay at a hostel (same city where I have permanent address) because I lost my keys and it was very late. Normally it should be fine, but what I am afraid of - the receptionist photocopied my passport and my flight ticket.

I also asked why and was given answer that this is just for their need (just the hostel policy).

What I am asking you and myself: Is there any obligation for either hotels or hostels to report data of people who stay there? Because if I.N.S would know that detail, it would cast a shadow on my status I think.

I thought CBP or IO have the authority to turn away the GC holders if they need to.