Haojiexu97

So I received the I-485 approval notice on 11/22/16, and I'm about to visit China, the country where I was born. This is going to be my first international travel right after I get my green card(assuming I'll get it soon). I'll be staying in China for 3 months at most. The tricky part is: my Chinese passport is expired. My questions are below:

• Do I need a U.S re-entry permit if I only travel there for 3 months?
  • What is my national since I got my green card, and I heard the Chinese government does not accept dual national?
  • Since I need a visa or valid passport to enter mainland China, should I renew my Chinese passport?
  • After entering China, how do I guarantee to exit China and come back to the U.S.? Can they keep me from exiting because I'm using the Chinese passport to travel, even though I have green card?
  • Or, can I apply U.S. travel visa?
The situation is confusing to me, anybody is expert or has knowledge in Chinese international traveling requirement PLEASE help me out, appreciated!

So I received the I-485 approval notice on 11/22/16, and I'm about to visit China, the country where I was born. This is going to be my first international travel right after I get my green card(assuming I'll get it soon). I'll be staying in China for 3 months at most. The tricky part is: my Chinese passport is expired. My questions are below:

• Do I need a U.S re-entry permit if I only travel there for 3 months?
  • What is my national since I got my green card, and I heard the Chinese government does not accept dual national?
  • Since I need a visa or valid passport to enter mainland China, should I renew my Chinese passport?
  • After entering China, how do I guarantee to exit China and come back to the U.S.? Can they keep me from exiting because I'm using the Chinese passport to travel, even though I have green card?
  • Or, can I apply U.S. travel visa?
The situation is confusing to me, anybody is expert or has knowledge in Chinese international traveling requirement PLEASE help me out, appreciated!

Hi Haojiexu97,

I recommend you sit down and read the link from the official USCIS website https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/international-travel-permanent-resident

Please read this and let us know if you have additional questions. I think China will only stop you unless you have criminal charges pending on their country.

Best of luck in obtaining your green card.

First of all thanks for replying. I have read many related articles and regulations of traveling to China as a US permanent resident. My major concern is that after obtaining the renewal of my Chinese passport and enter China, I'll somehow be ineligible to LEAVE China due to the fact that "I have left China for 5 years without returning, and let my passport expired"

Although I'm about to receive my green card, I'm worry about the part that how I'm going to leave China after entering. Any advice?

First of all thanks for replying. I have read many related articles and regulations of traveling to China as a US permanent resident. My major concern is that after obtaining the renewal of my Chinese passport and enter China, I'll somehow be ineligible to LEAVE China due to the fact that "I have left China for 5 years without returning, and let my passport expired"

Although I'm about to receive my green card, I'm worry about the part that how I'm going to leave China after entering. Any advice?

Your questions is related more to laws in China. I would recommend you get assistance with an immigration lawyer, since I don't have any knowledge on laws for China and their citizens. You will be able to enter back to the U.S. as a green card holder but the U.S. Government has no control over laws in China and with their citizens.

That's exactly the answer I want to hear! Thank you so much! I need to learn about the traveling regulation and law of China, even though I'm qualified to re entry U.S.

That's exactly the answer I want to hear! Thank you so much! I need to learn about the traveling regulation and law of China, even though I'm qualified to re entry U.S.

That's correct. Keep in mind that you are still a citizen of China and you still have obligations with them base on the laws they have in place for their citizens.

Best of luck in your trip to China.

This is important for me to know, so I'm still a Chinese citizen?

If you still have a Chinese passport then yes. Having a green card does not make you a U.S. Citizen and you need to comply with other requirements before applying for U.S. citizenship.

My last question, you might not have an answer for this, but I'll ask anyway: is there a legal way that I can renew my Chinese passport, like going to the Chinese Consulate General in New York. Has anyone done that successfully? Because my passport expired for 3+ years, and it might cause problem.

My last question, you might not have an answer for this, but I'll ask anyway: is there a legal way that I can renew my Chinese passport, like going to the Chinese Consulate General in New York. Has anyone done that successfully? Because my passport expired for 3+ years, and it might cause problem.

I'm not sure what are the laws for China in terms of passport but for my country you can renew a passport if its already expired. Try checking with Chinese Consulate in your state, guessing its New York and ask if they provide these services, most likely they will. Try checking with google and see if they have a website with more information.

Thanks my friend, I'm doing research on it right now. Also I'm scheduling appointment with the Chinese Consulate to renew my passport.

Thanks my friend, I'm doing research on it right now. Also I'm scheduling appointment with the Chinese Consulate to renew my passport.

That's good to know and make sure you ask them all those details in regards to your trip to China.