I got a traffic ticket before my oath ceremony...please help!!

fezpamir

Registered Users (C)
I got 164$ traffic speeding ticket 1 week before my oath ceremony.I paid it..
On my oath paper I should show it.Is there anybody on the same both or may had have a same experience??
Please help me...at the oath ceremony I will explain and show my ticket paid receipt ..Do you think it makes any problem??

You r only required to mention traffic tickets or bring proof of payment @ interview. I think!
I wouldnt even bring it or say anything ... Congrats !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldnt even bring it or say anything

That's a bad advise dude.....

If you do, then it means you lied to USCIS.

To fezpamir:
I think when you go for oath, you are required to fill the form about any change since your interview. Which includes any trip outside us, traffic tickets, arrests/citation etc...

What the USCIS would expect of you is that you don't have any due pending. Since you have already paid, take all the proof you have, preferably court issued proof if not your credit card statements/receipts.
In that case, I think you should be fine.

But, I will leave it to expert like Bobsmith and others to comment on your question.

My IO said if I get any tickets before oath, I need to take care of it but everything should still be fine. So in your case, mention it and have proof of payment. You will be alright.

I have one more question for you.Actually I read on any other forum...somebody had the same experience as me.And when he went to Oath..The Oath officer told everyone that who had tickets under 500$ you don't have to mention it he said to everybody in the same boat..
what you think ?I paid already i have my proof but its kind of make me stress to put on question 4 "yes".What you think?If I put "NO" what happens?Even after oath if they make backround check or something like that they are gonna see taht it is paid already..
Because I think that if you arresed or something or crazy driving ticket or more than 500$ ticket is more serious to put yes for question 4..
But I will follow you advise.what you advise again?
Thank you ...

I have one more question for you.Actually I read on any other forum...somebody had the same experience as me.And when he went to Oath..The Oath officer told everyone that who had tickets under 500$ you don't have to mention it he said to everybody in the same boat..
what you think ?I paid already i have my proof but its kind of make me stress to put on question 4 "yes".What you think?If I put "NO" what happens?Even after oath if they make backround check or something like that they are gonna see taht it is paid already..
Because I think that if you arresed or something or crazy driving ticket or more than 500$ ticket is more serious to put yes for question 4..
Thank you ...

That doesn't matter. When oath officer says its ok, then its ok. Until then its not ok. If I were you, I wouldn't hide.

Thank you ...

Although I didn't have any traffic tickets between interview and oath, the IO in charge of my oath ceremony instructed everyone not to disclose traffic tickets. However, since the oath letter specifically asks for traffic tickets, I suggest disclosing it. Since you've paid for yours already, you will not have any issues.

sorry I could not understand you... like you say " I suggest "disclosing it"' you say... you mean say "yes"on the form and show my payment fine or not?
thank you...

Traffic Ticket before Oath Ceremony

My name is Yemi

If I have a ticket before the oath ceremony and my lawyer moved the case till August to get it resolved, how do I approach the ticket question on the back of the oath ceremony paper ? Do I need to get the lawyer to get this resolved before the date which will be next week Weds(July 18th), OR get a letter from the Traffic ticket attorney to take with me if that will help OR have the Traffic ticket attorney go with me to the oath ceremony OR hire Immigration attorney to go with me ? Please advice, I have a very short time to make decision.

My name is Yemi

If I have a ticket before the oath ceremony and my lawyer moved the case till August to get it resolved, how do I approach the ticket question on the back of the oath ceremony paper ? Do I need to get the lawyer to get this resolved before the date which will be next week Weds(July 18th), OR get a letter from the Traffic ticket attorney to take with me if that will help OR have the Traffic ticket attorney go with me to the oath ceremony OR hire Immigration attorney to go with me ? Please advice, I have a very short time to make decision.

What exactly is the traffic ticket for? Is it DUI-related? What was the fine you were supposed to pay for this ticket?

What exactly is the traffic ticket for? Is it DUI-related? What was the fine you were supposed to pay for this ticket?

As a matter of fact, I looked at the ticket itself not long ago, it was just right before I had my Interview N-400 and it was for 345.00 (speeding) but since I had my interview, no other ticket. My point is the N-445 form states "since last interview". Am I correct ?

As a matter of fact, I looked at the ticket itself not long ago, it was just right before I had my Interview N-400 and it was for 345.00 (speeding) but since I had my interview, no other ticket. My point is the N-445 form states "since last interview". Am I correct ?

Since it happened BEFORE the interview, you already disclosed it and it is in the N-400 record of proceeding. Correct?

IF that is NOT the case then you would have lied to obtain a benefit under the Immigration and Nationality Act and would be barred from even re-applying for 5 more years from the date of the most recent lie (lie included lies of omission).

As a matter of fact, I looked at the ticket itself not long ago, it was just right before I had my Interview N-400 and it was for 345.00 (speeding) but since I had my interview, no other ticket.
$345 is a pretty substantial fine, more than one usually gets for simple speeding. Were you doing 75mph over the speed limit or something? Or were there additional aggravating factors involved in this ticket (DIU, driving without insurance/registration or something like that)? It sounds like there is some significant piece of info related to that ticket that you have not told us about.
Also, did you disclose this ticket at the naturalization interview?

$345 is a pretty substantial fine, more than one usually gets for simple speeding. Were you doing 75mph over the speed limit or something? Or were there additional aggravating factors involved in this ticket (DIU, driving without insurance/registration or something like that)? It sounds like there is some significant piece of info related to that ticket that you have not told us about.
Also, did you disclose this ticket at the naturalization interview?

Yes...speeding going to work. 91 on 65. Nothing else involve. No DUI or anything else. I just got caught for reckless driving and that is why I got the attorney to get the ticket down to a reasonable fee. I did not lie on the form N-400 because that was sent in way before the interview. The interview was just about 3 weeks ago and the N-400 naturalization paperwork was done months ago so I did not lie. And furthermore if I had got the ticket before filling out the N-400 form, I dont think I would have mentioned it because it specifically stated on that form that anything under 500.00 and it is a speeding ticket needs not be mentioned. Correct ?

Yes...speeding going to work. 91 on 65. Nothing else involve. No DUI or anything else. I just got caught for reckless driving and that is why I got the attorney to get the ticket down to a reasonable fee. I did not lie on the form N-400 because that was sent in way before the interview. The interview was just about 3 weeks ago and the N-400 naturalization paperwork was done months ago so I did not lie.

Now, you are trying to be too clever by half.

During the naturalization interview the IO always goes with the applicant over N-400 line-by-line, and for each line asks if there is any new info regarding that item that needs to be updated to account for the period between N-400 submission date and the N-400 interview date. The IO's are required to do this with all the applicants and they do it 100% of the time, so the IO must have done this with you as well.
For a ticket with a substantial fine like the one you got you should have disclosed the ticket at the interview.
As BigJoe5 says, a lie of omission is still a lie.
IMO, you should either delay your oath and try to straighten the situation with the ticket in court first (and then disclose the ticket at the oath, with a proof of court disposition), or pay the ticket prior to your scheduled oath, bring a copy of the ticket and a proof of payment to that oath, disclose the ticket to the IO doing the check-in and explain that you did not disclose the ticket at the interview because you did not think it was required. Then pray hard and fast that the IO at the oath does not decide to make a big deal out of this episode and allows you to take the oath as scheduled.

Yes...speeding going to work. 91 on 65. Nothing else involve. No DUI or anything else. I just got caught for reckless driving and that is why I got the attorney to get the ticket down to a reasonable fee. I did not lie on the form N-400 because that was sent in way before the interview. The interview was just about 3 weeks ago and the N-400 naturalization paperwork was done months ago so I did not lie. And furthermore if I had got the ticket before filling out the N-400 form, I dont think I would have mentioned it because it specifically stated on that form that anything under 500.00 and it is a speeding ticket needs not be mentioned. Correct ?

1) Did you mention the ticket during the interview?

2) The N-400 form instructions state you don't need to submit documentation for certain tickets under $500, not that you don't have to disclose them altogether.