I am no Terrorist, any advice?

[

WHO REALLY KNOWS??? / May be the future will tell!

[ This was issued on 11/20/11, and some forum members already discussed about what that PM could mean, below was posted by Noetic; explanation received from Anwen Hugh . / I just copy & paste

I got this reply from Ms. hughes:

Dear Mr XXXX:

What this memo says is that USCIS plans to take off hold and deny (or cease putting on hold in the first place) any case that is currently on hold waiting for the issuance of possible exemptions, if based on the facts of that case USCIS believes there is no way it would grant that applicant an exemption in the exercise of discretion even if an exemption were generally available for cases of that type.

Beyond that basic explanation, I have a number of questions about how they would make those judgments, and we will be talking to USCIS about this in the near future. I should note that I did not receive this memo from USCIS directly, so have no insight yet into how USCIS itself understands it, what proportion of its caseload it believes it will affect, etc. As far as I can see however it should NOT have any effect on cases that WOULD be likely to benefit from a discretionary grant of an exemption--the tricky thing to my mind is how USCIS is going to make those distinctions about which cases it would/would not grant under the terms of possible future exemptions when those exemptions have not yet been issued. Again, we should have greater clarity on all this in a couple of weeks, so please feel free to check back in then.

Best regards,

XXXX

So, I guess we need to wait a couple of weeks.

]

Hi All

Here is the new updates from Melanie!

Hi,

Sorry for the group email and for the delay in responding, sometimes it’s difficult for me to respond quickly to all the emails coming in about cases on hold at USCIS.

I wish I could say this issue is close to being resolved, but it isn’t. I do have a few updates for you from the December 13 USCIS meeting – please note that these are not official notes, just what I understood and wrote down during the meeting, the acronyms for groups may not all be correct:

· DHS said that it would not meet its goal of clearing all cases on hold by the end of 2011. They recently announced in the context of UNHCR’s effort to get governments around the world to make “pledges” about meeting their commitments to refugees that their new goal is to clear all cases by the end of 2012, and that they pledge to revisit some of their current legal interpretations (for example, what constitutes “material” support) by the end of the year.
· We expressed concern about the new memo DHS issued about releasing cases on hold (the November 20 “Revised Guidance on Hold Policy”). DHS and USCIS said that the memo was not intended to result in many denied cases, that they just wanted to give the field (the Service Centers and asylum offices) the ability to deny cases that would not be approved even if an exemption were granted. They said this would only happen in “extreme” cases. They also said if any cases are denied that we think shouldn’t have been denied we should send them to headquarters. They noted that the examples given in the memo were hypotheticals and there weren’t any real cases with these fact patterns on hold as far as they knew.
· The government’s interagency working group has recommended exemptions for the following groups (this means that these groups now need to be cleared through the DHS Secretary’s office, there is no indication how long this will take):
o KLA
o FMLN/Arena
o DEMLEK
o ELF
o EPRP
o TPLF
o NDA
· The interagency working group has drafted an “options paper” on the MQM, recommending different approaches to clearing that group.
· The interagency working group is now considering making recommendations for exemptions for the Awami League, EPLF, OLF, SLA/M, COEDF, EDU, EPDM/Amhara National Democratic Movement, EPRDF, ESDL, WSLF, GPLM, KPF, OALF, SLF, UDPLF.
· The interagency working group is discussing other approaches to exemptions that would not require each group to be exempted before individuals can receive exemptions.
· Beja Congress from 1994-2006 is a Tier III group, outside those dates it is not a Tier III group.
· CPMUME (Nepal) is not a Tier III group from June 2008 to present.
· ANNFSU (Nepal) is not a Tier III group.
· DHS is setting up a website where information about 212a2b cases will be available in one place.
· Inquires about cases can be sent to trigquery@uscis.dhs.gov.

At this point, that’s all I know. The advocates in DC were hoping to do an event in November to put more pressure on the government to do this quickly, this is now being planned for January.

In the meantime, Senator Leahy sent a letter to DHS Secretary Napolitano urging her to resolve these cases. We’ve heard that this type of pressure does help keep the government focused on resolving these cases. Here is the letter:
http://leahy.senate.gov/press/press_releases/release/?id=aece294b-1d09-4648-8ecd-a3b56b7e38c4

I will try to respond to your emails as soon as I can, but please be patient. I am sorry you are all going through this, I wish you all a productive, healthy 2012 and hope you will all have green cards and be reunited with family very soon.

Best wishes,

Melanie

Melanie Nezer
Senior Director, US Policy and Advocacy
HIAS
1775 K St. NW #320
Washington, DC 20006
direct 202-212-6025
fax 202-212-6001
www.hias.org

[
quote=hba;2563688]here is the new updates from melanie!

Hi,

sorry for the group email and for the delay in responding, sometimes it’s difficult for me to respond quickly to all the emails coming in about cases on hold at uscis.

I wish i could say this issue is close to being resolved, but it isn’t. I do have a few updates for you from the december 13 uscis meeting – please note that these are not official notes, just what i understood and wrote down during the meeting, the acronyms for groups may not all be correct:

· dhs said that it would not meet its goal of clearing all cases on hold by the end of 2011. They recently announced in the context of unhcr’s effort to get governments around the world to make “pledges” about meeting their commitments to refugees that their new goal is to clear all cases by the end of 2012, and that they pledge to revisit some of their current legal interpretations (for example, what constitutes “material” support) by the end of the year.
· we expressed concern about the new memo dhs issued about releasing cases on hold (the november 20 “revised guidance on hold policy”). Dhs and uscis said that the memo was not intended to result in many denied cases, that they just wanted to give the field (the service centers and asylum offices) the ability to deny cases that would not be approved even if an exemption were granted. They said this would only happen in “extreme” cases. They also said if any cases are denied that we think shouldn’t have been denied we should send them to headquarters. They noted that the examples given in the memo were hypotheticals and there weren’t any real cases with these fact patterns on hold as far as they knew.
· the government’s interagency working group has recommended exemptions for the following groups (this means that these groups now need to be cleared through the dhs secretary’s office, there is no indication how long this will take):
O kla
o fmln/arena
o demlek
o elf
o eprp
o tplf
o nda
· the interagency working group has drafted an “options paper” on the mqm, recommending different approaches to clearing that group.
· the interagency working group is now considering making recommendations for exemptions for the awami league, eplf, olf, sla/m, coedf, edu, epdm/amhara national democratic movement, eprdf, esdl, wslf, gplm, kpf, oalf, slf, udplf.
· the interagency working group is discussing other approaches to exemptions that would not require each group to be exempted before individuals can receive exemptions.
· beja congress from 1994-2006 is a tier iii group, outside those dates it is not a tier iii group.
· cpmume (nepal) is not a tier iii group from june 2008 to present.
· annfsu (nepal) is not a tier iii group.
· dhs is setting up a website where information about 212a2b cases will be available in one place.
· inquires about cases can be sent to trigquery@uscis.dhs.gov.

At this point, that’s all i know. The advocates in dc were hoping to do an event in november to put more pressure on the government to do this quickly, this is now being planned for january.

In the meantime, senator leahy sent a letter to dhs secretary napolitano urging her to resolve these cases. We’ve heard that this type of pressure does help keep the government focused on resolving these cases. Here is the letter:
http://leahy.senate.gov/press/press_releases/release/?id=aece294b-1d09-4648-8ecd-a3b56b7e38c4

i will try to respond to your emails as soon as i can, but please be patient. I am sorry you are all going through this, i wish you all a productive, healthy 2012 and hope you will all have green cards and be reunited with family very soon.

Best wishes,

melanie

melanie nezer
senior director, us policy and advocacy
hias
1775 k st. Nw #320
washington, dc 20006
direct 202-212-6025
fax 202-212-6001
www.hias.org

[ This delay is riddiculous, end of 2012 now, ooh gosh....
but thanks to HBA and Melanie]

my post 1784

On my post #1784 I had shared my opinion about writing to UNHCR I also put thier address for being convinient, I don't know how many of you guys agree with me but it appears that there is no harm in wriring to them, as this latest email of Malanie has mentioned some pressure by UNHCR, any ways I have sent them a letter in October 2011, if you guys want to write them there will be a little more support, I have mentioned all the hardship I was put into due to this unfair hold, hope there will be more people writing but the decision is yours.

On my post #1784 I had shared my opinion about writing to UNHCR I also put thier address for being convinient, I don't know how many of you guys agree with me but it appears that there is no harm in wriring to them, as this latest email of Malanie has mentioned some pressure by UNHCR, any ways I have sent them a letter in October 2011, if you guys want to write them there will be a little more support, I have mentioned all the hardship I was put into due to this unfair hold, hope there will be more people writing but the decision is yours.

[That's probably a good idea, the more information we get the more it looks confusing and the wait seems longer, I am so totally confused]

Hi

Have you heard back from them? I am just getting ready to send my letter. Can we just e-mail them?:D

HBA reply

Have you heard back from them? I am just getting ready to send my letter. Can we just e-mail them?:D

No I have not, usually such decisions are USCIS/DHS internal matters and USCIS/DHS can not be forced by any outside organizations, but UNHCR (United Nations High Commission for Refugees) do make the USA realize their commitment. Once people like you and I write to those agencies they know how many people are suffering due to these unfair actions and they do ponder those questions to see that the members like USA and other countries are meeting their obligations, our letters are actually informing the UNHCR that we need help as per refugee settlement obligation.
Writing them is easy and signed letters by the complainant are more legitimate, I have already put the address on my post #1784 but I am not aware if emails are helpful in this matter, I however do not have their email address if there is any for such complaints.

Chnage of Status from Asylee to Permanet Resident with pending I-730 Cases

Hello there ,

I just want to find out from the Forum something about changing the status from Asylee to Permanent Resident.
I was granted Asylum Status in October 2009 and immediately I submitted the I-730 for my family members ( wife and kids ). My case have pending since then because of the so-called material support.
My question to the audience is ;
1. Since it has been way more than 1 year that I was granted the Asylee status , would my change of status to Permanent Resident affect my pending I-730 cases?
2. How can one know for sure why he is put under the infamous 212(a)(3)(B) and which Trier III group is accused of belonging to?
Thanks for any help !

Hello

[napaliasylum is right, << Let us revive this forum, Let us not let it die>>
I think every one is still pending as far I-485 Material support.
I was not aware of any new development of the TRIG]

Here what i got from Melanie last Monday.
No updates since the last meeting. Next meeting is March 13. We had an event last week at a law firm and several Hill staff and DHS officials attended (about 50 people came), we're doing some follow up meetings this week.

Have a great day!:D

Medical

Thanks HBA, Deep Trigger and Napali Asylee for keeping post alive, nothing much new to my knowledge except the medical extension period for another year, which actually does not mean much, when I was asked for the medical by USCIS, for the third time, I took the USCIS circular for extension on medical to my local service center and my attorney, they both agreed that I do not need to do medical again as explained in the circular, but the rascals in Nebraska Service Center ( I don't know why they use service center, there is no service there) responded by saying that if my medical is not received as per the time requested my case will be denied based on that, they further lied my case is pending based on the receiving of my medical, after going through all the painful tests they sent me an email that my case is on hold based on 212 garbage.

Last edited by a moderator: