I am no Terrorist, any advice?

Other Options

At this point we can only speculate on an untrusted bureaucracy, the benefit of being here on forums is basically to share and provide the knowledge to others and be prepared, speculating any thing negative or positive at this point does not look practical to me because we don't know what may happen, however it will be nice to get some nice ideas and advices as to what shall be done in case of something adverse happens or rather be ready for any thing, to me as it looks, they may deny some or most of us and we will have to fight independently with attorneys which might cost arm and leg, if any one of you can come up with some 2nd chance ideas or even idea how to collect FICA based on denials, or any advice other than worry as to what they may do because it is totally not in our control, now that we have this important piece of information what should be the next coarse of action in case of any thing adverse happens, can we not form a group and find an attorney or approach some human rights groups?.

[I meant free-life,
Thanks much, good research, excellent look out, let us wait and see how this is going to be implemented.
Because I am SO confused as to the meaning of the Memo.
Are they going to adjudicate all pending cases???, by Approval or Denial / OR does this Memo imply = denying those AOS put on hold and should have been denied;
Which one is it?

Please Respond, free-life.

At this stage, since the information is very recent in regards to the Denial Memo, it will be premature to say or speculate anything from my end or anyone else. My guess is as good as anyone else, at this stage. I think USCIS-DHS has to explain clearly what it is all about. Prima Facie (at the first sight of it), when you read through the Memo # PM-602-0051, that I shared (web link is there also), it seems like that USCIS officers / reviewers, has now complete authority to start denying applications that have been placed on hold for Category 1 and Category 2 (examples and information are on the Memo's Second Page). The examples that are being shared on this memo are also very, very huge and vague. Comparison of a person Blowing Bombs in Afghanistan VS a Banker who voluntarily transferred large sums of money VS a Columbian banker who was threatened and therefore he had to turn in a list of wealthy depositors or else he would have been harmed...... All these examples are being used to determine the TOTALITY of the nature of "Material Support" provided to Undesignated TIER III Groups. And mind you, these examples are appertaining to people who have been placed on hold that were "NOT Under Duress" in Tier III group Category [IT DOESN'T SPECIFY FOR MATERIAL SUPPORT, but the examples suggest it is "Material Support" and not only direct Terror related HOLDS i.e. based on any Activity or Provision "Small or Big I guess.."] AND it also applies to those people who are in all THREE TIER's that were UNDER DURESS (but only those who were under the Terrorism provision OTHER THAN Material Support).....

Only these kinds of cases,(I guess that is the MAJORITY of the cases are going to go through another form of scrutiny and perhaps, because of this MEMO / POLICY,) USCIS will be denying those applications for any types of cases (AOS, Asylee, and or Refugee) that have been stuck on hold. Again, after reading the memo (my understanding is), the idea from USCIS would be Processing most (if not all) of the applications that have been on hold for Material Support. Now, please don't be fooled by the word "Process" means to Approve, it only means get them out of the back logged, and after this memo is issued, it pretty much means deny them and get them over with.

With that being said, the only hopeful thing that I can think of: Is the fact that some people on this forum were informed by Anwen hughes and or Ms. Melaine Nezer of previous USCIS-DHS stakeholder's meeting of 16 or 18 groups from all around the world that were being tagged for material Support for different TIER's categories and for various reasons, were under serious consideration for Exemptions or Reliefs from USCIS-DHS...

So I am (again only my speculation) guessing that USCIS will or at least should grant them relief / exemption to all those groups and their members... May be they will play the card of TOTALITY of the nature of individual cases (I am not sure if it will be applied, if the whole political group or party been exempted), and then the rest of the people might suffer by facing Denials................

But again, whatever, I have written here, is something that I am thinking of and getting information from various Legal sources online.... It will have to be explained (in its exact nature and implications) by USCIS-DHS to the public or at least to the stake holders meetings. It doesn't sound fair to be by any means, because USCIS has applied the exemptions (Group wise complete exemptions) to various groups from Burma, Africa, India in the recent past without any strings attached. So I don't understand: If the USCIS-DHS will do he same this time around and grant the exemptions without any strings attached? One thing though, from a defense point of view, the totality of the case as mentioned in the memo for case by case (individuality) is concerned, it will be another critical factor for applicants to perhaps win their cases and get their cases approved from USCIS.......

I am tired of typing now..... Ahhh.... sorry....... But anyway, that is my understanding and feedback to this latest issue..........

Let us all wait and see what happens.... This is no time to be negative and or to think negative. This advice is for everyone in this forum..... Find ways to be part of the solution rather than panicking and making others panicked as well. It will NOT DO any good..... Let us not loose the focus here.... There is a problem and it has also a solution, so Let us all FOCUS ON THE SOLUTION...... PLEASE....!

Perhaps, something really good, meaningful and positive will turnout from this mess and we will all be free of this mess VERY, VERY SOON.......... My Advice to all of you people: Please don't get discouraged and loose hope... Hope is the only thing that has brought us together thus far, and it will take us through all!!!...... So hang in there and things will get better soon!! Let us all Pray for Good!!

May GOD Help us and protect us and give us SUCCESS in this problem!! ((Ammen))......

Best,
Free-Life

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the denial of AOS means a termination of the asylum status? What happens to the asylum status if they deny AOS? Please share.

Hey guys,

I am equally confused after reading this memo. I sent the following email to Melanie Nezer (Senior Director, US Policy and Advocacy HIAS) and

Anwen Hughes (Senior Counsel Refugee Protection Program Human Rights First) :

Dear Ms. XXXX,

I am hoping that you are aware of the "Material Support" related New Policy from USCIS.

Dated: November 20, 2011 PM-602-0051

I took a read and honestly could not make any heads or tails out of it. If you have any insights, would you be so kind to share them.

Best regards,

XXXX

Will post as soon as I hear back from either one of them.

I am glad that this forum has come alive again. I was beginning to think that lately, it was taking its final dying breaths.

Hang in there guys and have faith.

I got this reply from Ms. hughes:

Dear Mr XXXX:

What this memo says is that USCIS plans to take off hold and deny (or cease putting on hold in the first place) any case that is currently on hold waiting for the issuance of possible exemptions, if based on the facts of that case USCIS believes there is no way it would grant that applicant an exemption in the exercise of discretion even if an exemption were generally available for cases of that type.

Beyond that basic explanation, I have a number of questions about how they would make those judgments, and we will be talking to USCIS about this in the near future. I should note that I did not receive this memo from USCIS directly, so have no insight yet into how USCIS itself understands it, what proportion of its caseload it believes it will affect, etc. As far as I can see however it should NOT have any effect on cases that WOULD be likely to benefit from a discretionary grant of an exemption--the tricky thing to my mind is how USCIS is going to make those distinctions about which cases it would/would not grant under the terms of possible future exemptions when those exemptions have not yet been issued. Again, we should have greater clarity on all this in a couple of weeks, so please feel free to check back in then.

Best regards,

XXXX

So, I guess we need to wait a couple of weeks.

[
QUOTE=Noetic;2561910]I got this reply from Ms. hughes:

Dear Mr XXXX:

What this memo says is that USCIS plans to take off hold and deny (or cease putting on hold in the first place) any case that is currently on hold waiting for the issuance of possible exemptions, if based on the facts of that case USCIS believes there is no way it would grant that applicant an exemption in the exercise of discretion even if an exemption were generally available for cases of that type.

Beyond that basic explanation, I have a number of questions about how they would make those judgments, and we will be talking to USCIS about this in the near future. I should note that I did not receive this memo from USCIS directly, so have no insight yet into how USCIS itself understands it, what proportion of its caseload it believes it will affect, etc. As far as I can see however it should NOT have any effect on cases that WOULD be likely to benefit from a discretionary grant of an exemption--the tricky thing to my mind is how USCIS is going to make those distinctions about which cases it would/would not grant under the terms of possible future exemptions when those exemptions have not yet been issued. Again, we should have greater clarity on all this in a couple of weeks, so please feel free to check back in then.

Best regards,

XXXX

So, I guess we need to wait a couple of weeks.

[Good inquiry, thanks Noetic]

[Could be, but I would doubt they would go to that route of asylum termination, DHS are well aware that all the AOS put on hold is bureaucratic and does make any sense]

I am still confused because I was reading the USCIS adjudicator manual and it clearly says that if the asylum/refugee based I-485 gets rejected, then USCIS initiates a removal proceeding.

How can they initiate a removal proceeding if the asylum or a refugee status is still valid?

This will be the worst USCIS policy under the Obama administration. I can't believe that the democratic party will implement this crazy policy on the asylees and refugee.

[
QUOTE=algorithm;2561922]
I am still confused because I was reading the USCIS adjudicator manual and it clearly says that if the asylum/refugee based I-485 gets rejected, then USCIS initiates a removal proceeding.

How can they initiate a removal proceeding if the asylum or a refugee status is still valid?

This will be the worst USCIS policy under the Obama administration. I can't believe that the democratic party will implement this crazy policy on the asylees and refugee.

[algorithm, Do not jump the gun, relax and wait, back in 2008 USCIS denied several cases due to material support bar with which there were no asylum removal in none of them, i think they will decide on what to finally do, could be good decision that they want to finally decide on the overall pending cases , could also be bad, no one knows, I did consult 2 different lawyers on this matter but their view points are totally conflicting. Who really knows??? Let's wait and see and stick around this forum because something big is cooking up.].

Please read some background materials.....

INA 219 describes how the Secretary of State makes the final designation of Terrorist Groups and Individuals by publishing the Final Determinations in the Federal Register. (Where this section of the statute refers to the Attorney General it may now be read as referring to the AG and/or the Secretary of Homeland Security--these precise details have not been changed for all sections of the INA and certain references are still to be determined.)

USCIS is delegated authority from the DHS Secretary to Implement an Exemption Under INA Section 212(d)(3)(B)(i) and thereby exercise her discretionary authority in these matters but only after she has had even further consultation with DOS, the AG (DOJ-EOIR-BIA) and the Secretary of the Treasury. The new memos follow on the heels of the recent FR Notice from the DHS Secretary. It took over a month to finalize the USCIS Memos after the DHS FR Notice--that is actually a short time for these folks to do anything, which means that they were in on the lengthy "consultations" for quite some time beforehand.

Final decisions will be made in individual cases, but don't hold your breath.

On the other hand, if someone's case has been on hold for a LONG time already; it may be nearing the end of a very long wait. I believe that USCIS has already approved much of what it already had the authority to approve, these new exercises of authority will likely lead to a bunch of approvals that were only waiting for the "greenlight". I believe that after the approvable cases are processed then a steady stream of new denials will follow. There will likely be a much smaller percentage of cases that will remain on hold awaiting a further delegation of authority.

"Material Support" and Related Bars to Refugee Protection Summary of Key Provisions for USCIS

I am afraid: INA: ACT 219 - Applies (in general) only to "DESIGNATION OF FOREIGN TERRORIST ORGANIZATIONS"... That would directly be classified as Tier I organization by definition. However, Tier II organization is also somewhat considered as partial FTO organization. Both Tiers have been properly classified as Designated Terrorist Organizations. Both Tier I and Tier II terrorist Organizations have been properly listed and published by the consultation of Secretary of state's permission to State Gov website. However, there is one more TIER and that is TIER III (Undesignated Terrorist Organization). These Tier III organizations, as the (definition states), are being classified as udesignated groups and these groups (lists) have never been published or properly documented (at least not available to the public knowledge or to anyone, so we have been told by law makers and other Human Rights Groups).

Anyway, There were total of 16 or 18 combination of groups (among these three Tiers) that were suppose to have been released / exempted from hold by being approved from USCIS-DHS after the consultation of all the other governing bodies before the end of December 2011. At least this is what has been promised by USCIS-DHS from their stakeholder's meetings, several times since later part of last year (openly in public). With that being said, I think the mistake that was made by USCIS (with the Denial Memo), is that they should have published all the exemption memos (for all those 16 or 18 groups) at first, and then after getting them processed completely, perhaps they should have had this denial memo published for public's knowledge so they could clear all the backlogged pending cases (that were perhaps) originally going to get denied (to begin with), because of the Extreme nature in Totality within...... Anyway, its just a thought... Again, I am waiting to see what new development comes out in the near future. I am very optimistic of a positive outcome, as most of the people that I get to know on this forum have been waiting for years and years for their cases to be approved including myself.

Anyhow, some really interesting and knowledgeable material that can definitely help everyone to understand what this mess is all about (I mean original Material Support mess) and what are the Different kinds of TIER's are being classified by DHS-USCIS, please see the following:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Material Support" and Related Bars to Refugee Protection
Summary of Key Provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)

1. "Terrorist Activity"
Definition: The current definition of "terrorist activity" under the Immigration and Nationality
Act (INA) includes “the use of any explosive, firearm or other weapon or dangerous device (other
than for mere personal monetary gain), with intent to endanger, directly or indirectly, the safety of
one or more individuals or to cause substantial property damage.” See INA §
212(a)(3)(B)(iii)(V).
Legislative History: The current broad definition of "terrorist activity" has not changed
substantially since it was first introduced under the Immigration Act of 1990. The phrase "or
other weapon or dangerous device" was added under the USA Patriot Act of 2001.
2. "Terrorist Organization"
Definition: Under current immigration law, there are three "tiers" of terrorist organizations,
referring to the three subsections of the INA that define them. See INA § 212(a)(3)(B)(vi)(I)-
(III).
"Tier I" terrorist organizations are known as "Foreign Terrorist Organizations" (FTOs) and must
be designated as such by the Secretary of State under INA § 219. To be so designated, the
Secretary of State must find: (1) that the organization is a foreign organization; (2) that it engages
in terrorist activity or terrorism; and, (3) that the terrorist activity or terrorism threatens the
security of United States nationals or the national security of the United States. INA § 219(a)(1).
The phrase "national security" is defined as "the national defense, foreign relations, or economic
interests of the United States." INA § 219(d)(2). The INA establishes procedures that must be
followed prior to designation, including publication in the Federal Register. The consequences of
a Tier I designation include freezing of organizational assets, criminal prosecutions for those
found to have provided "material support" to an FTO, and inadmissibility to the United States for
those who provide support to or are affiliated with an FTO. The Department of State maintains a
list of FTOs, available on its website, at <http://www.state.gov/s/ct/rls/fs/37191.htm>.
"Tier II" terrorist organizations are groups that are "otherwise designated" by the Department of
State, upon publication in the Federal Register, as a terrorist organization, after a finding that the
organization engages in certain terrorist activities defined under the INA. The consequences of a
Tier II designation is primarily inadmissibility to the United States for those who provide support
to or are affiliated with the organization. The Department of State maintains a "Terrorist
Exclusion List" (TEL) of all Tier II organizations, available on its website at
<http://www.state.gov/s/ct/rls/fs/2004/32678.htm>.
A "Tier III" terrorist organization is defined as a "group of two or more individuals, whether
organized or not, which engages in, or has a subgroup which engages in, terrorist activity."
Given the broad definition of "terrorist activity" (see above), essentially any resistance or rebel
group that is engaged in armed conflict with its government would be considered a "Tier III"
terrorist organization. The political purpose of the organization (i.e., pro-democracy) and its
1 See attachment for text of relevant provisions.

conduct during the armed conflict (i.e., compliance with the laws of war) are irrelevant to the
determination that it is a terrorist organization. In contrast to the procedures for the designation
of Tier I and Tier II terrorist organizations, there is no central government agency, such as the
Department of State, that determines whether a Tier III determination is, in fact, appropriate or
that acts as a central repository for all Tier III designations.
Legislative History: The definition of a "terrorist organization" has become much more refined
over the past 15 years, with key years being 1996 and 2001. Under the Immigration Act of 1990,
the phrase "engage in terrorist activity" was defined simply as committing an act that a person
knows, or reasonably should know, provides material support to any "individual, organization or
government in conducting terrorist activity." The Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act
(AEDPA) established the definition of a "Foreign Terrorist Organization" (FTO) in 1996. The
current three-tier terrorist organization structure was created under the USA Patriot Act in 2001,
adding Tier II and III organizations to the existing FTO definition (now considered a Tier I
organization). The REAL ID Act of 2005 expanded the Tier III definition by including groups
that have a subgroup which engages in terrorist activity.
3. "Material Support"
Definition: Under current immigration law, a person has "engaged in terrorist activity" if he or
she "commits an act that the actor knows, or reasonably should know, affords material support" to
a person engaged in terrorist activity or to a terrorist organization. INA § 212(a)(3)(B)(VI). The
phrase "material support" is not defined under the statute, but includes a list of examples,
including a safe house, transportation, communication, funds, transfer of funds, false
documentation, weapons, explosives or training. Litigation is pending as to whether the statute
contemplates a de minimis amount of support for it to be considered "material" support and
whether the statute includes an implied duress exception for those who are forced to provide
assistance under threat of harm to themselves or others. DHS and DOJ take the position that
there is no de minimis amount of support and that there is no duress exception.
Legislative History: The "material support" ground of inadmissibility has remained largely
unchanged since it was first introduced in 1990. The only significant change related to an
individual's required knowledge of a Tier III organization's "terrorist activity." Under the USA
Patriot Act (2001), which created the Tier III definition, an individual would not be subject to the
material support bar if s/he could show that s/he "did not know, and should not reasonably have
known, that the act would further the organization's terrorist activity." This exception was
narrowed under the REAL ID Act of 2005 to require that the person show by "clear and
convincing evidence" that he did "did not know, and should not reasonably have known, that the
organization was a terrorist organization." Since most of those who provide assistance to prodemocracy
"Tier III" terrorist organizations are aware of the groups' activities, and actively
support them, this exception has done little to mitigate the effects of the statutory bar.
Bar to Refugee Status and Asylum: Under the INA, individuals who are inadmissible to the
US are generally not eligible for refugee resettlement (there exist a few exceptions, for example
with regard to the public charge ground of inadmissibility) absent a waiver of the inadmissibility
ground by the Executive Branch. Given that the "material support" ground of inadmissibility has
existed since 1990, refugees subject to it have been legally ineligible for the US resettlement
program since that time. However, the term "terrorist organization" was not defined as broadly in
the early 1990s as under current law. The impact of the material support bar grew as a matter of
law with the expansion of the "terrorist organization" definition itself. Under AEDPA in 1996,
any person who provided "material support" to an FTO or to an "organization engaged in terrorist

activity" was barred from resettlement, asylum and withholding of removal. In 2001, with the
creation of the Tier II and, more notably, Tier III terrorist organization definitions, the material
support bar to resettlement, asylum and withholding of removal was expanded most significantly,
capturing assistance to any armed group. It was only recently, however, since 2004, that the
Administration began to apply this and related provisions in earnest, interpreting them very
restrictively where possible.
4. Membership in Resistance Movements
Definition: Any person who is a member of a Tier I or Tier II terrorist organization is
inadmissible to the United States. INA § 212(a)(3)(B)(i)(V). There is no stated exception for
people who are forcibly conscripted into such groups, such as child soldiers forcibly conscripted
into rebel groups. Any person who is a member of a Tier III terrorist organization is inadmissible
to the United States unless the person "can demonstrate by clear and convincing evidence that [he
or she] did not know, and should not reasonably have known, that the organization was a terrorist
organization." INA § 212(a)(3)(B)(i)(VI). Since most members of pro-democracy groups that
fall within the Tier III definition are aware of, and actively support, the organization's goals and
activities, the statute's limited exception has had little impact in mitigating the impact of this
provision. In addition, the person's spouse and children are inadmissible to the US if the person
was a member of the Tier III organization within the past five years. INA §
212(a)(3)(B)(iii)(IX).
Legislative History: Membership in a terrorist organization was not a separate ground of
inadmissibility until 1996, when it was included under AEDPA for members of Foreign Terrorist
Organizations (FTOs) (Tier I organizations). This ground of inadmissibility was extended to
spouses and children of members of FTOs in 2001 under the USA Patriot Act. It was further
expanded to include members of Tier II and Tier III organizations and their spouses and children
under the REAL ID Act (2005).
Bar to Refugee Status and Asylum: Members of FTOs have been legally ineligible for refugee
resettlement since 1996, and their spouses and children (if membership within the past five years)
since 2001. Members of Tier II and Tier III organizations, and their spouses and children, have
been ineligible for resettlement since 2005. "Arriving" asylum-seekers (e.g., those who request
asylum at an airport or land border) who were members of FTOs have been barred from asylum
since 2001. The bar to asylum was extended to all asylum-seekers, and their spouses and children
(if membership within the past five years), who were members of a Tier I, Tier II, or Tier III
organization under the REAL ID Act in 2005.
5. Active Participants in Armed Resistance Movements
Definition: As noted above, the definition of "terrorist activity" is extremely broad, and includes
the use of a "firearm or other weapon" with the intent to endanger the safety of a person or to
cause substantial property damage. INA § 212(a)(3)(B)(iii)(V). Any person who has actually
taken up arms in support of, or received military training from, an organization that falls within
this definition, even if a pro-democracy group that respects the laws of war, is barred from
refugee protection on the grounds that he or she has personally "engaged in terrorist activity" or
received military training from a terrorist organization. INA § 212(a)(3)(B)(i)(I) & (VIII). In
addition, the person's spouse and children are also inadmissible to the United States if the person
took up arms or received training within the past five years. INA § 212(a)(3)(B)(iii)(IX).

Legislative History: The ground of inadmissibility for any person who has personally "engaged
in a terrorist activity" has existed under the INA since at least 1990. As noted earlier, the broad
definition of "terrorist activity" has remained largely unchanged since 1990. The expansion of
the ground of inadmissibility to include spouses and children occurred under the USA Patriot Act
(2001). The ground of inadmissibility for any person who has received military training from a
terrorist organization was added by the REAL ID Act (2005).
Bar to Refugee Status and Asylum: As a matter of law, refugees who fought with prodemocracy
groups, such as the Lao H'mong and the Vietnamese Montagnards, have been legally
ineligible for resettlement since at least 1990 given that they have "engaged in terrorist activity"
under the INA. Their wives and children have been legally barred from refugee resettlement
since 2001. Again, this bar has only been applied, however, to these refugees and their families
since 2005. Asylum-seekers who fought with pro-democracy groups have been ineligible for
asylum if subject to this ground of inadmissibility since 1996, but it has only been applied to
them recently. The REAL ID Act extended this bar to asylum to the person's spouses and
children and to those who received military training from a Tier III terrorist organization (and
their spouses and children) in 2005.
6. Waivers
a. Material Support Waiver
Definition: INA § 212(d)(3)(B)(i) provides that the Secretary of State or the Secretary of
Homeland Security, after consultation with each other and the Attorney General, may conclude in
such Secretary's "sole, unreviewable discretion" that the material support ground of
inadmissibility "shall not apply with regard to any material support an alien afforded to an
organization or individual that has engaged in a terrorist activity." Only the Secretary of
Homeland Security has the authority to waive the material support ground of inadmissibility for
persons placed in regular removal proceedings (INA § 240) in the United States.
Legislative History: The material support waiver was introduced under the USA Patriot Act
(2001), when the three-tiered system of terrorist organizations was first created. The waiver was
moved from INA 212(a) to INA 212(d) under the REAL ID Act (2005), although the substance of
the waiver did not change.
Impact on Refugee Status and Asylum: A waiver of the material support ground of
inadmissibility results in a waiver of the underlying bar to asylum and refugee resettlement. To
date, the Secretary of State has exercised this waiver authority only three times, for Burmese
Karen refugees in the Tham Him refugee camp in Thailand (May 2006), for Burmese Karen
refugees in six other designated camps in Thailand (August 2006), and for Burmese Chin
refugees living in Malaysia, Thailand, and India (October 2006). The waiver authority has not
been exercised for any asylum-seeker in the United States.
b. Waiver of Tier III Determination Based on Activities of Subgroup
Definition: INA § 212(d)(3)(B)(i) also provides that the Secretary of State or the Secretary of
Homeland Security, after consultation with each other and the Attorney General, may conclude in
such Secretary's "sole, unreviewable discretion" that the determination that a group is a Tier III
terrorist organization (INA § 212(a)(3)(B)(vi)III)) "shall not apply to a group solely by virtue of

having a subgroup within the scope of that subsection." This waiver authority has not been
exercised to date.
Legislative History: The Tier III terrorist organization waiver was first introduced under the
REAL ID Act (2005).
Impact on Refugee Status and Asylum: If an individual is barred from refugee resettlement or
asylum under a provision of the INA specifically relating to material support to or membership in
a Tier III terrorist organization, then the waiver of the Tier III determination would result in a
waiver of the bar to refugee protection. If the person personally participated in armed resistance,
however, and is inadmissible for having engaged in "terrorist activity," then this waiver would not
result in a lifting of the bar to refugee protection.
c. Waivers for Members of Resistance Movements and Those Who Take Up
Arms in Support of Them
There is no specific waiver authority for those who are barred from refugee resettlement or
asylum based on their membership in a resistance organization that is considered a Tier III
terrorist organization or based on their active participation in a legitimate armed struggle.

IMMIGRATION AND NATIONALITY ACT (INA)
INA: ACT 212 - GENERAL CLASSES OF ALIENS INELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE VISAS
AND INELIGIBLE FOR ADMISSION; WAIVERS OF INADMISSIBILLITY
(a) Classes of Aliens Ineligible for Visas or Admission.-Except as otherwise provided in this Act,
aliens who are inadmissible under the following paragraphs are ineligible to receive visas and
ineligible to be admitted to the United States:
……….
(3) Security and related grounds.-
……………………….
(B) Terrorist activities-
(i) IN GENERAL.-Any alien who-
(I) has engaged in a terrorist activity,
…..….
(V) is a member of a terrorist organization described in
subclause (I) or (II) of clause (vi);
(VI) is a member of a terrorist organization described in clause
(vi)(III), unless the alien can demonstrate by clear and
convincing evidence that the alien did not know, and
should not reasonably have known, that the organization
was a terrorist organization;
……..
(VIII) has received military-type training (as defined in section
2339D(c)(1) of title 18, United States Code) from or on
behalf of any organization that, at the time the training was
received, was a terrorist organization (as defined in clause
(vi)); or
(IX) is the spouse or child of an alien who is inadmissible under
this subparagraph, if the activity causing the alien to be
found inadmissible occurred within the last 5 years,
is inadmissible.
………………….
(ii) ………

(iii) TERRORIST ACTIVITY DEFINED.-As used in this Act, the term
"terrorist activity" means any activity which is unlawful under the
laws of the place where it is committed (or which, if it had been
committed in the United States, would be unlawful under the laws
of the United States or any State) and which involves any of the
following:
…………..
(V) The use of any-
…………
(b) explosive, firearm, or other weapon or dangerous
device (other than for mere personal monetary
gain), with intent to endanger, directly or indirectly,
the safety of one or more individuals or to cause
substantial damage to property.
(iv) ENGAGE IN TERRORIST ACTIVITY DEFINED- As used in
this chapter, the term "engage in terrorist activity" means, in an
individual capacity or as a member of an organization-
(I) ………………………………
……………………………..
(VI) to commit an act that the actor knows, or reasonably should know,
affords material support, including a safe house, transportation,
communications, funds, transfer of funds or other material financial
benefit, false documentation or identification, weapons (including
chemical, biological, or radiological weapons), explosives, or training--
(aa) for the commission of a terrorist activity;
(bb) to any individual who the actor knows, or reasonably should
know, has committed or plans to commit a terrorist activity;
(cc) to a terrorist organization described in subclause (I) or (II)
of clause (vi) or to any member of such an organization; or
(dd) to a terrorist organization described in clause (vi)(III), or to
any member of such an organization, unless the actor can
demonstrate by clear and convincing evidence that the actor did
not know, and should not reasonably have known, that the
organization was a terrorist organization.

INA: ACT 212 - GENERAL CLASSES OF ALIENS INELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE VISAS
AND INELIGIBLE FOR ADMISSION; WAIVERS OF INADMISSIBILLITY
(d) Temporary Admission of Nonimmigrants
………………………
(B)(i) The Secretary of State, after consultation with the Attorney General and the
Secretary of Homeland Security, or the Secretary of Homeland Security, after
consultation with the Secretary of State and the Attorney General, may conclude in such
Secretary's sole unreviewable discretion that subsection (a)(3)(B)(i)(IV)(bb) or
(a)(3)(B)(i)(VII) shall not apply to an alien, that subsection (a)(3)(B)(iv)(VI) shall not
apply with respect to any material support an alien afforded to an organization or
individual that has engaged in a terrorist activity, or that subsection (a)(3)(B)(vi)(III)
shall not apply to a group solely by virtue of having a subgroup within the scope of that
subsection. The Secretary of State may not, however, exercise discretion under this
clause with respect to an alien once removal proceedings against the alien are instituted
under section 240.

http://www.rcusa.org/uploads/pdfs/ms-summ-unhcrkeyprov12-06.pdf
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Everyone, keep your faith strong and hope for the best!

Just Hang in there.....

Thanks,
May GOD Bless!
Free Life

[All these pending I-485 due to material support, especially for tier-III Groups, deserve a favorable decision, I just don't think any would be denied; unless you have received a denial around year 2008. Because cases were in fact denied then opened and reconsidered for pending in abeyance to new exemptions. They should just approve retrospectively these long pending applications by a general waiver, after that then they can apply the new policy memorandum].

We have each others, so let revive this forum by information sharing, and all stick around for the best.

Thanks for the info, can you provide us with the link algorithm, while back I saw an info where USCIS advised its adjudicators to check eligibility after verifying change in COP, however I was not able to find the link again but when I called USCIS 2 weeks ago the officer informed me that the adjudication will depend on change of COP which keeps eligibility or ineligibility, however there is a different story every time you contact those guys.

Thanks for the info, can you provide us with the link algorithm, while back I saw an info where USCIS advised its adjudicators to check eligibility after verifying change in COP, however I was not able to find the link again but when I called USCIS 2 weeks ago the officer informed me that the adjudication will depend on change of COP which keeps eligibility or ineligibility, however there is a different story every time you contact those guys.

Here is the link to chapter 41.6 of the USCIS adjudicator manual. It talks about the denial of 212(a)(3)(b) waiver which leads to a denial of I-485 which leads to a removal proceeding.

http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-18922/0-0-0-19061.html

Thanks for sharing the info and for the discussion. I think this memo will have a mixed outcome but in general i would expect positive results for most of the cases. The main concern i have is now the decision to process the hold cases will be very much subjective and the distinction among cases could be more fuzzy. On the other hand, the USICS now might start processing individual cases instead of waiting for the group exemption to come from the Secretary. In addition, it shows that the USICS is under pressure to fasten the exemptions process. The Following quote is from senator Patrick Leahy letter to the secretary expressing his concern on the pace of the progress.

"On January 26, 2009, Acting Assistant Secretary of Homeland Security for Legislative Affairs, Jim Howe, wrote in a response to an October 3, 2008, letter from myself and Senator Jon Kyl, that “DHS is also examining possible alternatives to group-by-group exemptions.”

That was nearly three years ago, but I was recently told, informally, that the Department has not progressed from this position and is still considering alternatives to the group-by-group process. As a result, over 4,500 cases remain on hold. I strongly urge you to promptly adopt alternatives to following only a group-by-group determination process."

He also suggested a number of alternative to fasten the process. In addition, it seems USCIS has already promised to finish processing all the hold cases by the end of this year which is approaching fast. In the memo, they say "Although USCIS does not anticipate many cases will rise to this level, applying a mandatory hold policy to them creates unnecessary delay and needlessly adds to the number of cases on hold." which means only few cases will be affect by this.

Best wish,

Jone

I have a feeling that a general waiver of some sort is in the works for "Tier III" group. Here are some parts of the PM of Nov 20, 2011:

The revision to the current hold policy only applies to Category 1 and 2 cases described above and allows for denial of such cases if the adjudicator and subsequent reviewers determine that the applicant does not warrant a favorable exercise of discretion, even if a discretionary exemption should be authorized at a future date.

1. Category 1 example: An applicant who voluntarily used bombs on behalf of a Tier III organization to target Coalition Forces in Afghanistan would currently fall under hold Category 1 above, as would a banker who voluntarily assisted in funneling large sums of money to a Tier III undesignated terrorist organization. However, given the totality of the circumstances, it is clear that USCIS would not grant an exemption to such individuals even if an exemption that would apply to the individual in question were to be authorized in the future.

2. Category 2 example: An applicant was a Columbian banker who was threatened with harm if he did not turn over a list of wealthy depositors to the FARC. He turned over the list, which FARC used to target the individuals on it for kidnapping and extortion. Some of the targeted individuals and their kidnapped family members were tortured and killed for resisting the FARC’s demands.

Although USCIS does not anticipate many cases will rise to this level, applying a mandatory hold policy to them creates unnecessary delay and needlessly adds to the number of cases on hold.

My take is that USCIS wants to weed-out (Deny) any applicants whom USCIS clearly sees not getting approved due to the totality of circumstances even if a future exemption would apply to the individual in question. And then the memo goes on to give examples of extreme Scenarios. Lastly the memo emphasizes that very few cases will rise to this level.

My feeling is that once these cases are denied, a blanket waiver will be exercised for the remaining "Tier III" cases.

Now this is just my hunch!

I have a feeling that a general waiver of some sort is in the works for "Tier III" group. Here are some parts of the PM of Nov 20, 2011:

The revision to the current hold policy only applies to Category 1 and 2 cases described above and allows for denial of such cases if the adjudicator and subsequent reviewers determine that the applicant does not warrant a favorable exercise of discretion, even if a discretionary exemption should be authorized at a future date.

1. Category 1 example: An applicant who voluntarily used bombs on behalf of a Tier III organization to target Coalition Forces in Afghanistan would currently fall under hold Category 1 above, as would a banker who voluntarily assisted in funneling large sums of money to a Tier III undesignated terrorist organization. However, given the totality of the circumstances, it is clear that USCIS would not grant an exemption to such individuals even if an exemption that would apply to the individual in question were to be authorized in the future.

2. Category 2 example: An applicant was a Columbian banker who was threatened with harm if he did not turn over a list of wealthy depositors to the FARC. He turned over the list, which FARC used to target the individuals on it for kidnapping and extortion. Some of the targeted individuals and their kidnapped family members were tortured and killed for resisting the FARC’s demands.

Although USCIS does not anticipate many cases will rise to this level, applying a mandatory hold policy to them creates unnecessary delay and needlessly adds to the number of cases on hold.

My take is that USCIS wants to weed-out (Deny) any applicants whom USCIS clearly sees not getting approved due to the totality of circumstances even if a future exemption would apply to the individual in question. And then the memo goes on to give examples of extreme Scenarios. Lastly the memo emphasizes that very few cases will rise to this level.

My feeling is that once these cases are denied, a blanket waiver will be exercised for the remaining "Tier III" cases.

Now this is just my hunch!

[Noetic, this an excellent hunch, excellent assessment, I contacted 2 attorneys, one said exactly what you have just said. I hope things would go faster than what they are currently]

stakeholder meeting on December 13, 2011 at 1:30 pm

GUYS just an FYI,
MAY BE WE SHOULD INQUIRE INFORMATION THROUGH Melanie & Anwen Hughes on or after December 13, 2011.
Let us keep in touch.

Terrorist-Related Inadmissibility Grounds (TRIG) Stakeholder Engagement

The USCIS Terrorist-Related Inadmissibility Grounds (TRIG) Working Group will host their quarterly stakeholder meeting on December 13, 2011on December 13, 2011 at 1:30 pm (EST) in the RAIO Training Room at 20 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, DC. The purpose of this engagement is for USCIS to provide updates and statistics regarding the TRIG workload and for individual participants to raise TRIG-related questions and issues.

Hello All,

GUYS just an FYI,
MAY BE WE SHOULD INQUIRE INFORMATION THROUGH Melanie & Anwen Hughes on or after December 13, 2011.
Let us keep in touch.

Terrorist-Related Inadmissibility Grounds (TRIG) Stakeholder Engagement

The USCIS Terrorist-Related Inadmissibility Grounds (TRIG) Working Group will host their quarterly stakeholder meeting on December 13, 2011on December 13, 2011 at 1:30 pm (EST) in the RAIO Training Room at 20 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, DC. The purpose of this engagement is for USCIS to provide updates and statistics regarding the TRIG workload and for individual participants to raise TRIG-related questions and issues.

Great idea! I have already e-mail Melanie on Friday for updates I will make sure to share it with you all