I-485 for Special Registration Countries?

I have not even gotten my EAD and AP approved. RD for both of those were 12/4/02. Called BCIS a few weeks ago and was told my the IIO that the case was assigned to an officer. I485 RD is 12/18/01 and I don't expect that to be adjudicated in the next few months. I'm curious if SR nationals have had any type of approvals (EAD,I140,AP) approved.

rupnet user ID: rms

rgds,
sadiq

I have heard one Local approval (Minneapolis), and 3 from Texas Service center! Do you guys think then this problem is only with NSC ?

No updates so far

The fact that TSC has been processing and approving 485 cases for SR countries manifests that the problem is indeed with NSC. I am very anxious to see just one, I mean just one SR approval from NSC.

Waiting for that first drop of rain to fall on the arid land :)

Thanks.

SR

RD for EAD renewal 01/21/03
Still nothing in sight.
Will go to local office on 04/21/03 for interim EAD.

I talked to an IIO a few hours ago. She said NSC is currently processing I765 applications with RD in February 2003. All she could say is that there are more security checks so that may account for the delay. She placed a note in the file to alert the officer the case was with since my RD was 12/4/02. I plan on calling on a weekly basis. My interim EAD is valid until June 4th (only 90 days!). I’m tempted to ask my congressman’s office for help if it’s still not adjudicated after 5 months. Who would have thought EAD approvals would be this slow?

Rgds,
sadiq

Got the approval!!! AT LAAAAAST

Our (self and wife) I-485 application approved yesterday which brought this roller coaster ride to an end that lasted for around 4 years. Here is our data (I've already posted it on Rupnet):

P DATE:03/22/1999
485 N DATE: 10/05/2000
FIRST RFE: DEC 2001
2nd RFE: JUNE 2002
2nd FP DONE: OCT 2002.
SR Done in : FEB 2003

Hang on guys, there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

This is comforting

Jamijum,
Was your case transferred to local office? So you had been waiting since June of last year to get your case approved?

Congratulations and thanks for sharing a long-awaited news.

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!

salams and heartiest congratulations! as haraputta asked, was yours a local transfer case?

once again, congrats, and - break out the "rooh afza" ;)

NO. My case was never transfered to local INS office. I guess the folks at NSC liked it too much to let go to the local office.:)

jamijum...

i just noticed your RD/ND and LIN for the first time: 09/26/2000, 10/05/2000 and LIN-01-004-xxxxx!!! this has got to be oldest case approved that i have seen in recent months.

yours was one heckuva long wait... do you have any ideas on why your case took so long?

double-congrats to you!

Pork Chop,

Like I said earlier, it was truly a roller coaster ride. The enormous delay was attributed to various factors but the most important one, was that my I-485 case was tagged both as'Consular Processing' and 'Adjustment of Status' which lead to a mumbo jumbo of confusions because Nobody (NSC and Islamabad Consulate) had any clue who supposed to do what and were delegating the case to each other.

Keeping a long story short, NSC finally asked for the lawyer certified I-140 application (copy) last June which gave me hope that my case is come alive again. As a matter of fact I almost had to start from zero.

Congratulations jamijum

This is certainly great news for us SR people.
Party time for you.
jamijum how did you find out that your case was marked for CP as well as AOS?
My I-140 was also approved for CP at Islamabad but my lawyer says that when you apply for AOS(I-485), your case is automatically switched.
Any thoughts ?

Best wishes again.

Same here!

My I140 was also approved for CP by INS' mistake! My attorney said the same thing. It would be nice to get some answers on this topic.

OKAY, Here it goes... I recieved the 'informational package' from US embassy in Islamabad (I think June 2001) for providing them with additional information in order for them assigning me an interview date back home. Since I had no intention to go for CP, I asked my lawyer about switching my case from CP to AOA. My lawyer came up with the argument that I don't need to worry about it because my case will be switched to AOA from CP automatically as long as the US embassy DON'T get any response from myside.

"That was the biggest mistake" said one lawyer from the law offices of Sheela Murthy(after 1 year of painful wait) from whom I sought second opinion. She said that my lawyer MUST HAVE sent the response and should have requested US Embassy in Pakistan to close my file and send it back to NSC, whatever. Anyway, I myself took this initiative and fax a letter to Islamabad consulate requesting them to close my case and notify NSC. I don't know if that was the case, but after approx 1.5 month(s), my lawyer finally heard fom NSC that they require attorney certified copy of I-140 plus employment letter.

So my humble opinion (NOT A LEGAL ADVICE) that if somebody is not intending to go for CP, then let the consulate know of your intention don't take it for granted that it will switch automatically. I didn't happen at least in my case.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply jamijum
I am in exactly the same situation.
My lawyer again says that there is no need to reply to the Islamabad consulate.
Do you think that faxing them a letter myself is enough or should I change lawyers and have it faxed from the new attorneys ?
Would greatly appreciate your reply.

tan 67,

I would not switch the lawyers at this point of time, it may not make any difference. I would rather convince my lawyer to contact Islamabad embassy and discuss my case. I took the initiative of faxing a letter because its been over 1.5 years since my I-485 was filed and INS was just sitting on my file even after they received the response for the first RFE. That was an act of desperation on my side but I guess it paid off.

Try to get a second opinion from another lawyer, it will cost you some money but its worth trying it.

Thanks! I am in the same situation, but if my case was being worked as CP wouldn't I get an information packet? I checked with my attorney and he told me that he also never got the packet.

Does it mean that my case was never transferred to Islamabad? I checked with National Visa Center as well, they also don't have my case. It seems like the case is with NSC.

Should I still send a fax to Islamabad? Also, could you please post their fax number?

http://usembassy.state.gov/islamabad/wwwhcvsp.html

You may find the fax number on the page.

If you haven't recieved anything from Islamabad, I would then suggest to sit tight. You should be getting something unless they introduce some NEW rules :confused:

P.S: I received my packet exactly after 7 months of filing I-485