I-131 Re-Entry Permit and Finger Printing

If you have been out of the US for a few years, then you may have a bigger problem with USCIS due to presumed abandonment of your green card.

I guess this makes it very difficult & uncertain to plan for any trip to the US for REP filing purposes for those who have been out for a few years.

Departure from the United States before a decision is made on an application for a Re-entry Permit usually does not affect the application. However, where biometric collection is required and the applicant departs the United States before the biometrics are collected, the application may be denied (bold emphasis in original).

Note that it says "...the application may be denied..." This seems to suggest that USCIS does not automatically deny all applications where the petitioner does not show up for fingerprinting; but are you willing to take the chance?
Leaving the US before the biometrics appointment does not mean failing to show up for the appointment. You could leave after filing the application, then come back in time for the appointment. I suppose they would be less likely to deny the application if you left the US but returned for the appointment, than if you missed the appointment.

But they just love to waste time and money on processes that could be better spent on processing applications and enforcing the immigration laws. If you are applying for a reentry permit, you already gave them your fingerprints and picture for the green card; why the hell do they make you have to line up again to redo it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Received re entry permit today by mail

USCIS received my application for reentry permit on March 25th
Received receipt on March 28,2008
Received FP notice on April 3th for April 11th
Did finger print on April 11.
Got Permit 0n 04/21/08
Everything took less than a month.

Re-Entry Permit is a booklet looks like Indian PIO card

Thank you for sharing your dated - this helps many others to do better trip planning, although I suspect that there is no guarantee that others' process would take as little time as yours did.

Got Permit 0n 04/21/08

Got Permit 0n 04/21/08

Re-Entry Permit is a booklet looks like Indian PIO card

How come, I have applied for re-entry permit in October 2007 and I still have not received it.

Finger Print

Kris09, Congratulations!

My wife's rcpt date is 27 March, got FP notice on 5th April, FP done on 15th April, No REP booklet yet.

My Rcpt date is 3rd April, No FP notice, nothing yet!!

Looks like people who applied before April 1st got some surprisingly fast response

Kris09, I am surprised you got the actual REP so fast!! Good news, congrats!People are waiting for months. Anybody else got their REP yet?

I have given my friend's place to receive FP and delay would help after FP because it gives more time stay outside as REP is valid for 2yrs from the date of issue!!

Thanks..

REP timing

SRIK75 and SRIKA did you get fingerprinting notice? I am travelling the last week of April, 2008 in USA, and i would stay for only 15 days as i found a very cheap ticket, not flexible. I will apply also for the reentry permit. If i do expediate reentry permit can i get fingerprinting in time. Can you please post your experience and dates of the application for the reentry permit and fingerprinting as it will be very usefull to know.

Dear Thanoa,
Looks like there is no time pattern defined till now. Kris09 got the REP in less than a month and FP in 2 weeks.
At least you apply the I-131 asap.
Srika

Reenntry permit

Thanks SRIKA for your respons. I entered USA on april 21,2008. applied for reentry permit on april 22nd via usps expess mail. Waiting for reciept notice and fingerprinting notice. I will post my case as it goes.
Pleaase everybody that applied for reentry permit post your dates on this thread,it will be very usefull to us. Is there a number to call Nebraska service center if you have questions?

Just want to add one more thing, even though I gave my friend's address for receipt, I received REP to my current address. I mentioned in the application I'll be here in US till end of MAY,could be the reason.

Kris09, Congratulations!

My wife's rcpt date is 27 March, got FP notice on 5th April, FP done on 15th April, No REP booklet yet.

My Rcpt date is 3rd April, No FP notice, nothing yet!!

Looks like people who applied before April 1st got some surprisingly fast response

Kris09, I am surprised you got the actual REP so fast!! Good news, congrats!People are waiting for months. Anybody else got their REP yet?

I have given my friend's place to receive FP and delay would help after FP because it gives more time stay outside as REP is valid for 2yrs from the date of issue!!

Thanks..

Thanks SRIKA for your respons. I entered USA on april 21,2008. applied for reentry permit on april 22nd via usps expess mail. Waiting for reciept notice and fingerprinting notice. I will post my case as it goes.
Pleaase everybody that applied for reentry permit post your dates on this thread,it will be very usefull to us. Is there a number to call Nebraska service center if you have questions?

thanoa, please keep us updated on your receipt and fingerprinting notice. I believe they are processing RP faster now.

Gino

Some earlier posts here have incorrect information. The official USCIS policy is that they encourage people to wait until they have FPs taken in the United States. But for people who have to leave the United States sooner they will have the option of having their fingerprints taken abroad by an embassy or a consulate.

Fp Abroad

Some earlier posts here have incorrect information. The official USCIS policy is that they encourage people to wait until they have FPs taken in the United States. But for people who have to leave the United States sooner they will have the option of having their fingerprints taken abroad by an embassy or a consulate.

Thanks, thankful.

Where did you read that please? Can you please quote the statement if you find the proper source, so that we can confirm, some other person with similar knowledge can also share.

I am also waiting for my FP notice as I am leaving US on May 28th.

I-131 ND is 04/16 and RD is 04/17.

I hope I get my FP notice before 05/28.

I tried going to local office in Manchester,NH but they said that they are unable to schedule FP notice from there. Did any one tried going to ASC without FP notice and got FP done?

Thanks

FP Dates

My RD is 3rd April No FP notice yet
My wife's RD was 28th March she got FP on 4/15

Anybody else got FP notice recently

Thanks..

Reason for expediting

Hi there,
What reason is usually given for REP and also what would be a good reason for expediting. If you don't feel like posting it out, please PM me..

thanks a lot
ela

Biometrics completed

Application preparation:
* Gave departure date as May end, reason as temporary work assignment abroad
* Included personal checks of $385 for adults and $305 for kid
* Did not include covering letter or passport photos
* For each adult application affixed a sticky saying *EXPEDITE request for Biometrics alone*
* Put all applications into single envelop and marked outside of envelope as *EXPEDITE*

Processing timeline till date:
04/17: Posted the applications via priority mail
04/24: Personal checks got encashed by NSC and assigned LIN#s posted on back of checks
04/24: Case status online for these LIN#s show ReceiptDate as 04/21 and LastUpdatedDate as 04/23
05/02: Received original I-797C receipts AND Biometrics appointments (all with code 3) for adults & kid scheduled for 05/07
05/07: Visited assigned ASC and completed Biometrics -- 10 Fingers + photo for adults, IndexFinger + Photo for kid
05/08: Case status online LastUpdatedDate changed to 05/08 without any change in status text

Thanks

Thanks

Application preparation:
* Gave departure date as May end, reason as temporary work assignment abroad
* Included personal checks of $385 for adults and $305 for kid
* Did not include covering letter or passport photos
* For each adult application affixed a sticky saying *EXPEDITE request for Biometrics alone*
* Put all applications into single envelop and marked outside of envelope as *EXPEDITE*

Processing timeline till date:
04/17: Posted the applications via priority mail
04/24: Personal checks got encashed by NSC and assigned LIN#s posted on back of checks
04/24: Case status online for these LIN#s show ReceiptDate as 04/21 and LastUpdatedDate as 04/23
05/02: Received original I-797C receipts AND Biometrics appointments (all with code 3) for adults & kid scheduled for 05/07
05/07: Visited assigned ASC and completed Biometrics -- 10 Fingers + photo for adults, IndexFinger + Photo for kid
05/08: Case status online LastUpdatedDate changed to 05/08 without any change in status text

Thanks

My RD is 34d April, still waiting for FP notice. I didn't put Expedite request for FP.
Anybody else got FP notice?

USCIS is at it again!

It is amazing how they will continue to squeeze your wallet even after you have become an LPR. As Jack said earlier, where is the need to fingerprint LPR's again, we've already been FP'd dozens of times, and now have GCs issued to us. It's totally disgusting.

I am wondering if somebody has actually checked with their lawyer or have something written from USCIS about exactly what the requirements are for FP. It does make sense that you may be able to schedule it at an overseas embassy, but this could also be a ploy for USCIS to reject applications under one pretext or another.

I plan to file my RP here very soon but the FP requirement puts a little dent to my plans, as I was planning to leave the US very shortly. I guess USCIS will not stop hounding you no matter what your status becomes in the US.

My RD is 34d April, still waiting for FP notice. I didn't put Expedite request for FP.
Anybody else got FP notice?

Did you tried calling 1-800 Number. My Lawyer called and was able to get FP notices expedited.

Is there a "REAL" requirement to maintain a GC in terms of time spent outside?

Maybe this question is for a new thread but new threads don't seem to get much lukewarm reception these days, so I thought of asking here. I guess as GC holders we have less involvement with the forum than H1-B/Retrogressed candidates. :)

Quite a few websites (usvisalaw.com, uscis.gov) seem to indicate that as a LPR if you are traveling outside the US for less than one year, you do not need a Re-entry Permit. For travels outside for more than one year and less than two, you definitely need a RP.

What does this really mean? If you plan to be away for ten months, are you okay using just your GC to return? Tied to that issue is how many months must you live in the US before you can travel overseas again? This travel could be for personal, family emergency or exploring of opportunities abroad.

If you also know for certain that you DO NOT plan to ever become a US Citizen, are you then still required to be in the US for six months of the year?

I agree that standard requirements of maintaining ties to the US, keeping bank accounts, assests etc. still holds true for all LPRs, but I'm really interested in knowing if the six month US/six months overseas requirement holds true if you DO NOT plan on becoming a US Citizen ever.

And yes, ppl have different reasons for living in the US or leaving it after obtaining their GCs which may or may not make sense to an H1-B who is waiting patiently in the queue, but that's how it is.

Thoughts? Jack, triplecitizen, etc?