I-131 Re-Entry Permit and Finger Printing

Reentry permit approved in less than a month

I applied for reentry permit May22nd2,2008 via express mail (Wrote expedite in the envelope,and wrote a letter on reason for expedite request). I recieved the receipt notice on May 2nd,2008 via regular mail and the biometric notice May 6th,scheduled for May10th,2008 via regular mail which i completed.
I activated the green card on April 21st,2008 so the travel permit i am not sure will be procecessed before the green card is processed. So i will write more when i have any other news.

I checked the online system and it said that my approved reentry permit was send on May 19th,2008 to the address that I specified on form I-131. I requested to be send at the embassy oversees,so i will update this thread when/if i receive it. It looks like it takes less than a month to issue a Reentry permit if they accept your reason for expedite process. Valid reasons for expedite process can be found on www.uscis.gov (under case is pending [right upper end corner],category USCIS Expedite Criteria)

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked the online system and it said that my approved reentry permit was send on May 19th,2008 to the address that I specified on form I-131. I requested to be send at the embassy oversees,so i will update this thread when/if i receive it. It looks like it takes less than a month to issue a Reentry permit if they accept your reason for expedite process. Valid reasons for expedite process can be found on www.uscis.gov (under case is pending [right upper end corner],category USCIS Expedite Criteria)

To which embassy did you want it sent? I asked for mine to be sent to the consulate in Amsterdam. I emailed them twice, and they haven't received anything.

To which embassy did you want it sent? I asked for mine to be sent to the consulate in Amsterdam. I emailed them twice, and they haven't received anything.

To Athens Embassy in Greece. It says in the on line service that you have to wait 30 days to hear from the Embassy.

To Athens Embassy in Greece. It says in the on line service that you have to wait 30 days to hear from the Embassy.

Hell no I'm not waiting. I'm going to badger them until they have it, and then I'm going straight to get it. I'm worried that this whole embassy thing will cause trouble. Like, will the RP get lost in the mail, or who knows what. Have you had this done before?

Hell no I'm not waiting. I'm going to badger them until they have it, and then I'm going straight to get it. I'm worried that this whole embassy thing will cause trouble. Like, will the RP get lost in the mail, or who knows what. Have you had this done before?

This is the first time I apply for the reentry permit,so I will write more when/if I get a response from the Embassy. Also if you want to call the USCIS 800 number (or any tool free number in USA) from oversees, just download SKYPE (at www.skype.com) and it will let you call 800 number in USA for free. This includes 800 numbers for SSN, Driver Licence ect.
Please post your cases for I-131 experience becuase with the new cahnges in May,2008 there is not much info on this site or any other site for the I-131 timeline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Parents Reentry Permit got rejected?

My parents re-entry permit (I-131) application has been rejected due to non-submission of photographs.

Now, we've been given option to appeal the decision (I-290B) with a fee of $585.00 per person. They could have just asked us to submit the photos instead of denying the application. Can anybody shed some light?

Thank you for any overisght...

I applied for REP on 5/2/08 not requesting expedite. Biometrics appointment received 5/20/08 for 5/30/08. Sent letter to reschedule appointment on 5/21/08, received new appointment on 5/31/08 for 6/14/08.

Anyone else applied recently without requesting expedite and got approved quickly?

Srika,
If you call USCIS, you can actually talk to someone at the Nebraska SC (not the NCSC contractors that don't know anything) if you enter your receipt number and follow instructions as if you have not received a notice they sent you. The Nebraska SC people can actually tell you when your appointment is.

Thanks MrAZ

I applied for REP on 5/2/08 not requesting expedite. Biometrics appointment received 5/20/08 for 5/30/08. Sent letter to reschedule appointment on 5/21/08, received new appointment on 5/31/08 for 6/14/08.

Anyone else applied recently without requesting expedite and got approved quickly?

Srika,
If you call USCIS, you can actually talk to someone at the Nebraska SC (not the NCSC contractors that don't know anything) if you enter your receipt number and follow instructions as if you have not received a notice they sent you. The Nebraska SC people can actually tell you when your appointment is.
MrAZ, Shall I call the 1-800 number given on the Receipt Notice? or some other number.
Thanks in advance..

1-800 number

I called the 1-800 number given on the 797 notice, and tried many different combinations, it sometimes said "immigration officer not available", so transferring to national customer service center. But always went to the damn customer svc contract center.
The cust svc representative told me it takes 30-45 days to assign the case to an officer then the officer takes another 30-45 days to look into your problem etc.
Basically it is a well designed system not to help immigrants even after trippling the service fees!!!

I think my biometrics notice is lost in mail, because people applying after me got their appointments. Mine is 3rd April.

MrAZ can you please tell us what is the sequence of calls after calling the 1-800 number.
Or any other people who got successfully expediting the case or talked with the immigration officer.

Thanks in advance...

Srika,
I dont know the exact sequence. I just know that after entering the receipt #, It says something like: "to go to the next step" or something like that and then there are 2 options, if there is no info, press x and if you have not received a notice we mailed you, press y. That is the one that transfers you to Nebraska. Good luck.

Srika,
I dont know the exact sequence. I just know that after entering the receipt #, It says something like: "to go to the next step" or something like that and then there are 2 options, if there is no info, press x and if you have not received a notice we mailed you, press y. That is the one that transfers you to Nebraska. Good luck.

Thanks MrAZ, Do you remember whether you called the 1-800 no on the 797 original receipt or the number given on finger print notice?

Srika,
I believe there is only one 800 #. It was the one on the receipt notice.

Anyone else filed a Reentry Permit without expedite recently? please post.

Thanks,

Finally got my RP on 6 June. However, the retards issued it for only 1 year instead of 2. How annoying. I don't know what I can do to get them to fix this, but I'm going to call on Monday.

I have applied for the re-entry permit on May 8th, 2008 with ND May 09 2008. Still I am waiting for the finger print notice. Any one in similar situation. Please post your experience.

Thanks.

1st REP

Finally got my RP on 6 June. However, the retards issued it for only 1 year instead of 2. How annoying. I don't know what I can do to get them to fix this, but I'm going to call on Monday.

cafeconleche, is this your 1st REP? If not then it is the discretion of the Immi officer how long they give it for. The max limit is 2 yrs and for 1st REP they give it for the max!!

Yes, it is my first RP. However, I'm not sure if they consider RTDs when they issue RPs. I've had 4 RTDs issued to me so far.

RTDs?

Srika,

Did you do expidite process or the normal process.

Thanks.

Canmakeit, I had filed normal, since nothing happened for long for biometrics I called the 1-800 number to expedite one month back. It takes a month to register the expedite request itself!!
Please see the comments I took from another poster to expedite in this thread

By the way what are RTDs?