I-131 Re-Entry Permit and Finger Printing

Is it possible to check the status of my RP application online if i applied by mail? If so, where can i do it? I havent found anything on the uscis web site.

Is it possible to have my friend send the letter for reentry permit for me? I would then just come back to the US for fingerprinting.

Hi all;
My question is : I have my RP expiring by Feb 09 and I plan to come back to US and leave shortly; probably no time to wait for biometrics.

Can I use the following path: Come back; file new I-131 (wth no expedite option), leave the US, once the appointment is sent apply to postpone it. And this way come back to US after 4-5 months (less than a year) and fulfill the biometrics? (can I postpone it (probably subsequently for a period of 4-5 months?).

Any experience?

PS : Any news if the US embassies are authorised for biometric so that one need not to wait it in US?

I have a similar situation - response from anyone familiar with this will be very helpful.
Here is my situation - I applied for CP for my parents and my mom's application was approved but my father's is still in the process (probably security check!!... who knows). Now my mom needs to land in the US before Nov 30th. She will only have two weeks before she has to go back (father's current medical condition). In that time, we need to apply for the two year re-entry permit for her. Is there any way I can get her fingerprinting/biometrics appointment now so that she can plan her trip accordingly?

Can someone give me a quick list of things to do in right order? here is what I have understood going through this forum:

Enter at POE
Apply for SSN
Apply for State ID after receiving SSN
Open Bank account
Apply for re-entry permit I-131

Any advice in what can be accomplished in about two weeks?
Thanks in advance.

Once you apply for RP...you have to wait for the appt letter for biometrics,
it could be anywhere from 4 weeks to months...depends on the volume and
admin delays. I got my bio appt in 4 weeks and RP in another 3 weeks.
Charleston office.

I dont think you can apply for it "NOW" ..you have to wait for the appt letter.
She can apply ...wait for bio app or go and come back for bio . I dont know
where she is travelling to but the fares can be expensive. Maybe it is worth the cost.

Hope it helps

Thanks Dezi. It looks like extending the two weeks by another week or a few days will not help. She may have to come back for biometrics.

Are two weeks enough for applying for the Returning Permit? does she have to wait for any documentation like the SSN or the physical green card in order to apply for the RP?

Thanks, for your help.

Is it possible to have my friend send the letter for reentry permit for me? I would then just come back to the US for fingerprinting.
My understanding is that you have to be physically present in the US when the application is filed. Your friend can send it on your behalf if you are in the US at the time the application is received and filed by USCIS.

Fill up the I-131 app, the ssn field is optional (it says on the app). If you dont have it.. I dont think it is required.

You dont need the physical green card plastic to apply. You can make copies of her passport where her name and other info is and a copy of the page where it has the I-551 visa issued by the consulate. It should have been stamped / endorsed by the POE when she arrived in the US.

Make sure the app is filled nothing missing, include check $385, copies of the passport (name part and i-551 portion) and mail to the nebraska address.
by priority mail.

This should take a day to do. I guess have to come back for the bios

REP processing time

Any insight into the current processing time of Nebraska Center to issue a FP notice for REP application?

The receipt notice for my application is dated 9/8. I applied through a lawyer and he sent an expedite request a week after the initial submission.

My travel date is 10/20 and I am hoping that the FP appointment takes place before that.

Thanks for your responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can i postpone my biometrics appointment if the date is inconvenient for me? Would it be enough to call USCIS or email or would it have to write a letter?

Update on my REP application for a processing timeline reference:

Application Date: 9/5
Receipt Notice Date: 9/8
Receipt Notice Received: 9/12
Request to Expedite Faxed: 9/19

Called USCIS on 800 # (listed on receipt notice) requesting biometrics expedite: 9/29
They gave me an "expedite confirmation #" on the call.

ASC Biometrics Appointment Notice Recd: 10/2

Biometrics appointment date on notice was 10/10 but I went to the ASC today (10/4) at their opening time (8:00am).

FP completed today! All set to leave the country!

How can i postpone my biometrics appointment if the date is inconvenient for me? Would it be enough to call USCIS or email or would it have to write a letter?

There will be instructions in the appointment notice how to do that

FYI, my timeline:
I-131 sent 9/16
RN: 9/18
ND: 9/22

Biometrics notice received: 10/4
Appointment date: 10/14
It's Philadelphia.

I did write on every single page "Expedite biometrics",
but I dunno if it helped. I didn't care about expediting the whole thing,
since I requested that it be sent abroad anyway.

Update on my REP application for a processing timeline reference:

Application Date: 9/5
Receipt Notice Date: 9/8
Receipt Notice Received: 9/12
Request to Expedite Faxed: 9/19

Called USCIS on 800 # (listed on receipt notice) requesting biometrics expedite: 9/29
They gave me an "expedite confirmation #" on the call.

ASC Biometrics Appointment Notice Recd: 10/2

Biometrics appointment date on notice was 10/10 but I went to the ASC today (10/4) at their opening time (8:00am).

FP completed today! All set to leave the country!
Does it mean that one can just show up at the ASC on any day, before or after the appointment date, to do fingerprinting?

In reference to I-131

So if I have a green card, my class of admission is "GC"? Is that correct?

Can the date of intended departure be a guess? I plan on leaving sometime in January. I'm just not sure of the exact date yet and I figured it would be better to get the permit of reentry application sent off asap.

Also, is it okay to leave the country and work for a year teaching English? I have no problem paying American taxes if the government wants it.

In reference to I-131

So if I have a green card, my class of admission is "GC"? Is that correct?

Can the date of intended departure be a guess? I plan on leaving sometime in January. I'm just not sure of the exact date yet and I figured it would be better to get the permit of reentry application sent off asap.

Also, is it okay to leave the country and work for a year teaching English? I have no problem paying American taxes if the government wants it.

1- write any intended date you like, the effective date will be the issue date and has nothing to do with what you wrote.
2- Teach whatever you like.
3- It is required by law to file taxes every year, to pay or not depends on your income and your filling status.

hey guys, just want to ask, how long does the actual rp booklet to be processed? i have my fingerprinting last july, but until now i havent recieved my actual rp booklet. anyone knows?

and if they send it to me [via mail]coz i put my address where the should mail it, do they need to see the stamped application letter before they can give it to me/relatives? [my relatives will send it to me since im leaving this october 21. pls help.

thanks guys :)

Guys, could somebody please tell me, does the biometrics appointment letter come from Department of Homeland Security or USCIS? I mean the name of which organization is typed on the envelope? Thanks