How to Apply for a Green Card- Do it Yourself

Alien Number

Could anyone please help me with advise! Filing the forms for status adjustment they ask for alien number. 5 years ago I was issued employment card or EAD card for my OPT which was valid for only one year. Now Im one year out of status since I stoped attending my school year ago. Can I use this alien number from this card? I have already used it for my medical examination form I-693 and now got little woried if I have not made big mistake. Is it ok or I shuld ask my doctor to make a new form without A# in it since it could not be a valid or real alien number? thank you!

The procedure is very strict and more over we need to follow these strict procedures then only we can complexes and we can run a smooth environment!

married with US citizen, live in US since 2007; B2 visa only

I am married since 2007 with an US citizen and live in Phoenix, AZ. We have one child together which was born in the US and is Us citizen. I have a bank account in US, I am on the utility bills and pay them and I am on the lease for the house which i pay too. I work for a Cruise line and spend about 4 to 6 months a year in the US. When I am in the US I am there for 2 months and enter with my B2 visa. I want to apply for a green card so that I can live and work in the US.
The only issue was that due to medical issues my wife lost her job and her income and was not able to sponsor me. I was working all the time and supported the family. But now she has a job again and makes money too. I am glad for any help.
I am kind of desperate to stay home with my family and now it is time to apply and I want to do it myself.
What is the best way to apply?
What forms do I need?
What are the costs?
Can I stay in the US while i apply?
How long does it take?
Am I allowed to work during the application process?
Can a close relative be my sponsor too, like my brother in law?

THX

Expiration dates

Hello to the community. I'm filing my change of status, and thanks to this thread, i've downloaded all the forms required. But the question that I have is that some forms including I-485 says that it has expired already on 01/31/13...So is this form still acceptable or do I have to wait for an updated form to come. Please reply me asap so that I can fill out all the required forms and submit it to the USCIS. Thanks in advance.

Umair.

Apply for a green card through my parents who just got their green cards!

Hello
I'm 27, unmarried and my parents just got their green cards.
I'm currently in the US on F1 student Visa.
I know I'm on category 2B on preference categories. and if they apply for a green card for me it may take 10 years.
My question is if they apply for me, after my student visa expiration should I go outside of the US or I can stay under some "status waiting" visa. I'm not sure if they have such a thing!

Changing name because of marriage...before or after filling I-485 ?

I am filling my I-485 package and I want to take the name of my husband (him beeing the us citizen). Should I first change my passport to my married name and then send the I-485 with my married name....? or sending the I-485 forms in witch I wrote my married name and then changing my passport? I have my visa and I 94 on my maiden name passport. To change my passport in my embassy in us it takes me 2 months and I don't want to wait that much more untill I send the GC forms.
Can I just send them (filled with the married name but with copies or maiden name passport) and then make my new passport with the marriage name...and by the time of the interview I will have it to show them?
I want my GC to be on my new after marriage name.

I have question about the timing of the (I-130 and I-485) concurrent filing.

I am applying for permanent residence for my mother. She is currently here on a Visitor visa and has traveled to here on the same visa a dozen time in the last 10 years.
On this trip its more than 3 months now and only 3 months remain on the current stay.

Is there time enough to file (I-130 and I-485) concurrently. Would she have to go back and return in case its not approved in the next 3 months. Or can she continue to stay once the application is filed and we get the receipt of the acceptance of the application.

Please advice, should i file it now or wait until the next trip and file as soon as she arrives next time.

There are some very good information on this thread to guide you thru this process of AOS (green card). Check and review the following sites as well to know more about the process-

But I would like to say something first. It's my suggestion that everyone should add the timeline of their case thru their signature along with their location (like state or district office). I know most people don't put their location in their timeline which makes their timeline useless for others because people cannot base their timeline or have any idea based upon someone who doesn't belong to their district office. Thus, if you do want to help each other, then do a favor on everyone by adding the location of yours to your timeline.

Also, whenever someone receives a RFE, people should mention why RFE was for so that other people would know what to send with their application to avoid any RFE. If you do want to give back to the people on here and help them as you get help from here then don't forget to mention on your signature line about location and what RFE was for. It will greatly help others.

Further, when you decide to send your application to USCIS, make sure many times that-

(1) to use the updated/latest or acceptable form/application than the outdated one. Thus, go on USCIS website to see/find the latest version of application.

(2) Always make sure about the current processing fees for the application thru USCIS site as processing fees do change.

(3) Always sign the applications/petitions...If possible, sign the orginial with blue ink to differentiate orginal from copied one.

(4) Always put the payment for the processing fees on the top.

TYPES OF DOCUMENTS NEEDED TO PROVE COMMON RESIDENCE

(The most important requirement of common residnce proof is that both names of husband and wife must be on these documents listed below, i.e. "joint accounts")

1. Home Contract copy; Rental copy; lease copy; or affidavit from person you are living with which explains the living arrangements.

2. Copies of utility bills; gas; light; electric; phone; cable; satellite

3. Joint bank accounts (must be in both names)

4. Credit/Debit Cards (under both names)

5. Insurances:
a. Auto Insurance
b. Life Insurance - submit copy of policy showing beneficiaries
c. Medical - submit copy of medical cards for each person

6. Photos;
a. When you were dating/courtship period (3 each)
b. Marriage photos (3 each)
c. Birthdays, anniversaries; Christmas; holidays; family gatherings, vacation trips; etc...... (3 each)

7. Babies - Bring copies of birth certificates

8. Major Purchases: New Car; Television; Refrigerator; stove; household appliances, etc.

9. Driver's License (both must have same address to be any good).

10. Military Identification

11. Submit a one page letter describing how you met; how long you dated; or how long your lived together before getting married.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=i130guide2
http://www.familybasedimmigration.com/forum/adjustment-of-status.php
http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/adjustmentofstatus/index.html
http://www.path2usa.com/immigration/greencard/i485process.htm
http://www.geocities.com/ben_jennie/...ffidavits.html
http://immihelp.com/greencard/familybasedimmigration/index.html

However, there is something I would like you to know about Receipt Number, though...

What does my USCIS case number mean?

Your receipt contains a case number that USCIS assigns to your case. It is in the following format (ignore the dashes): aaa-xx-yyy-z-mmmm, where

aaa: The service center that received your case. For example:

SRC - Texas Service Center (formerly Southern Regional Center),
LIN - Nebraska Service Center (named after Lincoln, NE),
WAC - California Service Center (formerly Western Adjudication Center) and
EAC - Vermont Service Center (formerly Eastern Adjudication Center).

xx: The fiscal year of USCIS, from October 1 to September 30. Cases filed from 10/01/2006 to 09/30/2007 will have xx = 07

yyy: The working day of the fiscal year when your case is received. 10/01 = 001

z: Either 5 (in database) or 0 (paper files)

mmmm: A serial number assigned to your case based on the number of cases received, starting from 0001

It's worth to read all the relevant information from above cited sites as well to make your case approvable.

Also an abbreviations' list so you can make sense of all of the stuff in the forum:

AD - Approval Date (When your application was approved)
AOS - Adjustment of status
AOS - Affidavit of Support (Department of State definition, AOS means Affidavit of Support )
AP - Advance Parole (I-131): The authorization to travel outside the US while your adjustment of status is pending
AR - Administrative Review
ASC – Application Support Center: offers fingerprinting services
BC - Birth Certificate
Bio - Biometrics (Digital photo, index finger FP and your digital signature. This is needed for the production of GC.
CP - Consular Processing
CPR - Conditional Permanent Resident
CWOP - Cancelled Without Prejudice
DCF - Direct Consular filing
DHS - Department of Homeland Security
DL - Drivers License
DMV - Department of Motor Vehicles
DO - District Office
DORA - Dallas Office Rapid Adjustment of Status
EAC - Eastern Application Center
EAD - Employment Authorization Document (I-765, approval to work while waiting for AOS Approval)
FP - Finger Print
GC - Green Card
INFOPASS - Is an online appointment so you can go to your DO if you have a doubt or want to know something about your case in person or to request your iEAD
INS - Immigration and Naturalization Service
ID - Interview Date
IO - Immigration officer / Interviewing officer
LPR - Legal Permanent Resident
LUD - Last Update Date on your on-line portfolio at USCIS website. It is the date when they last took action on your application, could be anything.
MSC - Missouri Service Center
NBC - National Benefit Center (is the one which process your forms initially)
ND - Notice Date (When USCIS notified you that they received your application)
NOA’s - Notice of Action is your receipt/letter that you received after you filed your forms indicates I-797C
NVC - National Visa Center
PCC - Police Clearance Certificate
PD - Priority Date
POE - Port of entry
RD - Receipt Date (When USCIS received your application)
RFE - Request for Evidence
RFI - Request for Initial Evidence
SC - Service Center (this is used with a prefix, eg CSC - California Service Center; MSC - Missouri Service Center (that is the address from where you will received your NOA's)
SSA - Social Security Administration
SSN - Social Security Number
USC - US Citizen
USCIS- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
VSC - Vermont Service Center
WAC - Western Application Center

Thanks for sharing useful information keep updating

There are some very good information on this thread to guide you thru this process of AOS (green card). Check and review the following sites as well to know more about the process-

But I would like to say something first. It's my suggestion that everyone should add the timeline of their case thru their signature along with their location (like state or district office). I know most people don't put their location in their timeline which makes their timeline useless for others because people cannot base their timeline or have any idea based upon someone who doesn't belong to their district office. Thus, if you do want to help each other, then do a favor on everyone by adding the location of yours to your timeline.

Also, whenever someone receives a RFE, people should mention why RFE was for so that other people would know what to send with their application to avoid any RFE. If you do want to give back to the people on here and help them as you get help from here then don't forget to mention on your signature line about location and what RFE was for. It will greatly help others.

Further, when you decide to send your application to USCIS, make sure many times that-

(1) to use the updated/latest or acceptable form/application than the outdated one. Thus, go on USCIS website to see/find the latest version of application.

(2) Always make sure about the current processing fees for the application thru USCIS site as processing fees do change.

(3) Always sign the applications/petitions...If possible, sign the orginial with blue ink to differentiate orginal from copied one.

(4) Always put the payment for the processing fees on the top.

TYPES OF DOCUMENTS NEEDED TO PROVE COMMON RESIDENCE

(The most important requirement of common residnce proof is that both names of husband and wife must be on these documents listed below, i.e. "joint accounts")

1. Home Contract copy; Rental copy; lease copy; or affidavit from person you are living with which explains the living arrangements.

2. Copies of utility bills; gas; light; electric; phone; cable; satellite

3. Joint bank accounts (must be in both names)

4. Credit/Debit Cards (under both names)

5. Insurances:
a. Auto Insurance
b. Life Insurance - submit copy of policy showing beneficiaries
c. Medical - submit copy of medical cards for each person

6. Photos;
a. When you were dating/courtship period (3 each)
b. Marriage photos (3 each)
c. Birthdays, anniversaries; Christmas; holidays; family gatherings, vacation trips; etc...... (3 each)

7. Babies - Bring copies of birth certificates

8. Major Purchases: New Car; Television; Refrigerator; stove; household appliances, etc.

9. Driver's License (both must have same address to be any good).

10. Military Identification

11. Submit a one page letter describing how you met; how long you dated; or how long your lived together before getting married.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=i130guide2
http://www.familybasedimmigration.com/forum/adjustment-of-status.php
http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/adjustmentofstatus/index.html
http://www.path2usa.com/immigration/greencard/i485process.htm
http://www.geocities.com/ben_jennie/...ffidavits.html
http://immihelp.com/greencard/familybasedimmigration/index.html

However, there is something I would like you to know about Receipt Number, though...

What does my USCIS case number mean?

Your receipt contains a case number that USCIS assigns to your case. It is in the following format (ignore the dashes): aaa-xx-yyy-z-mmmm, where

aaa: The service center that received your case. For example:

SRC - Texas Service Center (formerly Southern Regional Center),
LIN - Nebraska Service Center (named after Lincoln, NE),
WAC - California Service Center (formerly Western Adjudication Center) and
EAC - Vermont Service Center (formerly Eastern Adjudication Center).

xx: The fiscal year of USCIS, from October 1 to September 30. Cases filed from 10/01/2006 to 09/30/2007 will have xx = 07

yyy: The working day of the fiscal year when your case is received. 10/01 = 001

z: Either 5 (in database) or 0 (paper files)

mmmm: A serial number assigned to your case based on the number of cases received, starting from 0001

It's worth to read all the relevant information from above cited sites as well to make your case approvable.

Also an abbreviations' list so you can make sense of all of the stuff in the forum:

AD - Approval Date (When your application was approved)
AOS - Adjustment of status
AOS - Affidavit of Support (Department of State definition, AOS means Affidavit of Support )
AP - Advance Parole (I-131): The authorization to travel outside the US while your adjustment of status is pending
AR - Administrative Review
ASC – Application Support Center: offers fingerprinting services
BC - Birth Certificate
Bio - Biometrics (Digital photo, index finger FP and your digital signature. This is needed for the production of GC.
CP - Consular Processing
CPR - Conditional Permanent Resident
CWOP - Cancelled Without Prejudice
DCF - Direct Consular filing
DHS - Department of Homeland Security
DL - Drivers License
DMV - Department of Motor Vehicles
DO - District Office
DORA - Dallas Office Rapid Adjustment of Status
EAC - Eastern Application Center
EAD - Employment Authorization Document (I-765, approval to work while waiting for AOS Approval)
FP - Finger Print
GC - Green Card
INFOPASS - Is an online appointment so you can go to your DO if you have a doubt or want to know something about your case in person or to request your iEAD
INS - Immigration and Naturalization Service
ID - Interview Date
IO - Immigration officer / Interviewing officer
LPR - Legal Permanent Resident
LUD - Last Update Date on your on-line portfolio at USCIS website. It is the date when they last took action on your application, could be anything.
MSC - Missouri Service Center
NBC - National Benefit Center (is the one which process your forms initially)
ND - Notice Date (When USCIS notified you that they received your application)
NOA’s - Notice of Action is your receipt/letter that you received after you filed your forms indicates I-797C
NVC - National Visa Center
PCC - Police Clearance Certificate
PD - Priority Date
POE - Port of entry
RD - Receipt Date (When USCIS received your application)
RFE - Request for Evidence
RFI - Request for Initial Evidence
SC - Service Center (this is used with a prefix, eg CSC - California Service Center; MSC - Missouri Service Center (that is the address from where you will received your NOA's)
SSA - Social Security Administration
SSN - Social Security Number
USC - US Citizen
USCIS- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
VSC - Vermont Service Center
WAC - Western Application Center

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=exampleq#aos

Hello

Thank you for your valuable information about the immigration process and When I faced this type of immigration problem I considered one legal service firm there the lawyers did all the needful for my problem so here I would like to share that law firm

Last edited by a moderator:
To get a green card while inside the United States, you need to apply for what is called "adjustment of status." Any local USCIS office can give you the packet of forms you need.

Hello,
I lost my Resident Alien Card and I'm trying to apply for a new one myself online, but I can't figure out my class of admission. I had one of the old Resident Alien Cards that do not have an expiration date on them that I lost but I still have a print out and the class says "Waived." My mom when I was really young married a US Citizen and I was still a minor not even in Kindergarten yet when I obtained my Residency Card. I do not see a "Waived" class when I'm looked for the class of admission. What would it be considered as in my situation?

Thanks

I just called IRS and using the automatic telephone system ordered the TRANSCRIPTS for last 3 years. For sponsoring my parents I just used my income and not my wife's although the TRANSRIPTS showed the joint amount.

Hi everybody,

I have read whole of the thread and also official website of USCIS and many other sources but unfortunately have not found the exact answer of my question or totally confused;

My father is a lawful permanent resident and wants to apply for my GC as an unmarried over 21 years of age (Family Sponsored Preference category F2B) and for filing for the first time and sendingI-130 Form to Lockboxes in chicago or arizona, which other documents should accompany the I-130 Form?

- money order over processing fee?

- Proof of relativity?

thanks in advance for your pay attention and look forward to hear from you.

F.

Last edited: