How to Apply for a Green Card- Do it Yourself

Hello Friends,

This is my first time posting on this forum. I have some serious questions regarding how to obtain a Green Card. I came to USA seven years ago with F1 Visa for College. I graduated from an university in OH last year. I then applied for OPT. However, I never psysically received the EAD card since USPS apparently lost the card even though online status wise I have my EAD card (I already checked with USCIS operator over the phone). so I moved to IL to work for a year. On this July, OPT expired so I married with my now wife who is a citizen of USA. Now I am trying to file whatever that is required in order to obtain a Green Card or Work permit. Becasue I do not want to stay here illegally. My question is that is it possible for me to obtain a work permit with my current status instead of obtaining a Green Card? If that is not feasible, do I have to file I-485 along with I-765? That would be great if someone on here could help me out and inform me steps on what I should do.

I should have looked on the immigration firm xxxxxxxxxxxxx, the Case Status Online link is right there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have looked on the immigration firm xxxxxxxxxxxxx, the Case Status Online link is right there.

Your post has been updated by removing the link referencing another law firm’s immigration website. This forum is hosted by an immigration attorney, posting the link to another immigration attorney’s website here is unethical.

Plus case status link is available on the official USCIS website as a matter of fact.

Hello, community I have a few questions that will probably be interesting ones but please I need your help, guidance, knowledge, and support. Thanks before hand!

I came to the U.S. with an F-1 student visa in 2014, that visa had an expiration day of MAY-2019 and on May-2018 I graduated with a degree in STEM (civil engineering).
After graduation, I decided to apply for opt. In the process of Opt, I decided to withdraw my application from USCIS and pursue a master's degree in the same area of studies that I pursued bachelor's at the same college.
In August of 2018, I started a master's program and I obtained my master's degree at the end of the last year 2019, I did not renew my visa but I stay here with a valid i-20 &i-94.
I applied for a second time Opt for this in 2020 and in February the AED card was in my hands and later on, I applied and applied for jobs but I did not find a job in the 90 days’ time frame.
However, in the mid-time that the AED was active and I was allowed to work and with my girlfriend of years who is a U.S. citizen we made the decision that we were ready to get married and that is what we have done.
At that time when we submitted all the documentation to apply for adjustment of status, the time left to find a job was 3 days before the run of days off on opt (we got married on April 17-2020).
Once we submit all the completed AOS package i-130, I-131,i-765, i485, and more documents like affidavit, i-864, and others. I received the letter form i-797c for those 4 cases (docs) saying that it was received and that it has a priority date which is May 4-2020.
My EAD card starting date was February -07-2020. Did I break any law at all during 2014 until now for overstaying or something like that? I have never been arrested or gotten a random or case open against me.
To clarify, I pursued a bachelor's degree in civil engineering and a master’s in civil engineering, did I stay here longer without Documentation or legal status?
Is USCIS still processing AOS for an immediate relative of U.S. citizens in states DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia)?
When will I get my fingerprint appointment?
My mom has cancer and she is in advanced care but due that USCIS has not received my fingerprints and I cannot apply for humanitarian advance parole. Also, when I asked USCIS if they could recall my files from the government because I worked for them for a few months as a contractor and I obtained my public truth clearance to make publications as well as research in
facilities they were not capable of gathering my files from DOS nor FBI. So, I am stuck right now.
Do you know how long it would take to get a fingerprint?
appointment or when they are going to reopen for cases like mine?
The i-765 and all other files have a received date of May 4 - 2020 and the same priority date, but I have not gotten the follow up for the fingerprints.
Would my adjustment of status be affected by any new policy or order from the dear president?
How long would it take for me to get a conditional green card of two years ( I am from Bolivia), is the new AED card in process?
Is the biometric center is going to be open soon when any hints?
In my case and cases being processed due, I belong to the a preferred group of an immediate relative of US citizens, while we are at a stage 2, 3 of covid19, and people are getting or will be getting furloughs at USCIS.
Or did my files get in a freeze, due to the president proclamation and also because all of the files are still at national benefits center (MSB) and they have not adjudicated in a local office or will USCIS HQ take care of my case there, or MSB is not processing my case until they lift
the freeze and they will resume this upcoming January 1 of 2021 when the freeze and
the proclamation is over if he does not extend it or lift it?

I am so sorry for so many questions!
Thanks a lot!!
Thanks!!!

Cheers,
Chris

Here I mentioned two ways to apply a green card

1)Getting a family-based green card-Is one of your parents or your spouse American? In some cases, a family member can sponsor you to get a green card. A citizen of the united states over 21 years can make a request for his spouse, children, parents or siblings. In addition, a green card holder can in turn sponsor his spouse or children.

2)Getting an employment based green card

the United States can deliver up to 140,000 employment-based green cards. There are different priority categories. When granting permanent residence, priority is given to:

people of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics,

outstanding professors and researchers,

certain executives and managers.

Hi, a little over a year ago i was applying for my green card through the DV lottery. This platform was SUPER helpful and i am glad to say i have been in the US as a GC holder for over 10 months now. THANK YOU to everyone on this platform. I have recommended this to many many people.

I am here again:D. This time because i am about to get married to my girlfriend of a long time. I will like to get some guidance or even a link to information on this platform as to my case if anyone has had something similar.

My background.
I am a GC holder who is a Cameroonian. I meet the salary eligibility requirements. I live in Houston. I am getting married in March 2021 and will like to apply immediately after that. Based on what i have been able to gather from this forum, blogs, USCIS and Youtube, i will need
As petitioner
- Green Card copy
- Tax returns
- Marriage Certificate

Now, we have been dating for 7 years and have lived together for more than a year in the UAE. Pictures are no issues - we have 7 years worth of vacation pictures, etc. Marriage photos will be taken but it will be a small marriage with just 1 or 2 friends as we will just sign at the consulate. I have lease agreements in our name.
My questions
- Are there any more supporting documents you suggest i should get? I have
* Marriage Certificate
* Pictures (Whatsapp chats, Vacation, Wedding, dinners..etc)
* Lease in Abu Dhabi in our names
* Affidavit from my brother in law and a friend
- Are all these supporting documents required at the time of the online petition or Can i go ahead and file and then gather these documents later?(i know the GC and Marriage certificate is needed at the time of application)

Thanks in advance for any input you give me.

- analain

Hi, a little over a year ago i was applying for my green card through the DV lottery. This platform was SUPER helpful and i am glad to say i have been in the US as a GC holder for over 10 months now. THANK YOU to everyone on this platform. I have recommended this to many many people.

I am here again:D. This time because i am about to get married to my girlfriend of a long time. I will like to get some guidance or even a link to information on this platform as to my case if anyone has had something similar.

My background.
I am a GC holder who is a Cameroonian. I meet the salary eligibility requirements. I live in Houston. I am getting married in March 2021 and will like to apply immediately after that. Based on what i have been able to gather from this forum, blogs, USCIS and Youtube, i will need
As petitioner
- Green Card copy
- Tax returns
- Marriage Certificate

Now, we have been dating for 7 years and have lived together for more than a year in the UAE. Pictures are no issues - we have 7 years worth of vacation pictures, etc. Marriage photos will be taken but it will be a small marriage with just 1 or 2 friends as we will just sign at the consulate. I have lease agreements in our name.
My questions
- Are there any more supporting documents you suggest i should get? I have
* Marriage Certificate
* Pictures (Whatsapp chats, Vacation, Wedding, dinners..etc)
* Lease in Abu Dhabi in our names
* Affidavit from my brother in law and a friend
- Are all these supporting documents required at the time of the online petition or Can i go ahead and file and then gather these documents later?(i know the GC and Marriage certificate is needed at the time of application)

Thanks in advance for any input you give me.

- analain
Hi, any input on this please. Thank you.

Hi,
So i recently just got married and i am filing for my wife online for a Marriage visa as a GC holder. While creating the app, under other documents i am required to upload some supporting documents.
Under documents, i do NOT have
1. A joint bank account(she is out of US)
2. Joint leases in our names(We lived togeda before getting married but lease was not in our name and have not lived together since getting married)
But i do have
1. My 401k statement listing her as beneficiary(Fidelity)
2. 3 sworn affidavits(2 from friends and 1 from Sister)

At this stage, WHAT ELSE do you suggest i add to my online application before filing?
Do i need to add pictures of the wedding at this stage?

Please advice on this.

Thank you!
- A

Hey there
Are there some people, who won the green card in the lottery? How many time have you participated before?
I played so much, but have neve won.

These year I had a consultation with an immigration lawyer on a Green Card on XXXX platform, and decided to prepare documents for another way of receiving a Green card..

But I'm a bit concerned, maybe this time I will finally win it (playing the 6th time)

What can you advise? To wait till the spring or not to expect the magic and start working on it now with an expert?
you are a new member, I have so far seen two posts from you on different topics and they are both advertising some platform. Please don’t spam us.

Hi,
So i recently just got married and i am filing for my wife online for a Marriage visa as a GC holder. While creating the app, under other documents i am required to upload some supporting documents.
Under documents, i do NOT have
1. A joint bank account(she is out of US)
2. Joint leases in our names(We lived togeda before getting married but lease was not in our name and have not lived together since getting married)
But i do have
1. My 401k statement listing her as beneficiary(Fidelity)
2. 3 sworn affidavits(2 from friends and 1 from Sister)

At this stage, WHAT ELSE do you suggest i add to my online application before filing?
Do i need to add pictures of the wedding at this stage?

Please advice on this.

Thank you!
- A
Hi, how did your application go. Did you submit any other documents. And how long after the marriage did you wait to apply?

Hi, how did your application go. Did you submit any other documents. And how long after the marriage did you wait to apply?
Hi, i am still waiting. Applied April 5th. Applied a month after my wedding.
The documents i used are basically the same mentioned above. Nothing else.
Still waiting for a response and it will be 7 months on November 7th(Nebraska Processing center is 5 to 7 months).

Hi, i am still waiting. Applied April 5th. Applied a month after my wedding.
The documents i used are basically the same mentioned above. Nothing else.
Still waiting for a response and it will be 7 months on November 7th(Nebraska Processing center is 5 to 7 months).
Okay thank you for replying. I hope you hear something soon!

Hello,
I have a question concerning affidavit of support. My spouse is the petitioner but he is a student and has no employment for now. Can I add my income to his as the intended immigrant? I have ead from pending asylum case and have been working legally for three years.