• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

high school diploma prob

that why , when i contact the consulate, no clear answer was given to me, that means it will be the interpretation of the consulate

It is very rare when a consulate gives you a clear and correct answer other than during the interview. They have to provide you answers only as a part of considering you official application for a visa. Other than that they do not have to give you any answers and usually do not give any.

I agree with Dziecka. Come on people. High school is MINIMUM education requirement. If u have proof of US degrees you will be fine. Carry sealed official transcripts. The point is they don't want too many uneducated people moving to US. That is why they have that restriction. It helps the US become a greater nation because they try to attract the best from other countries. You already more education than most Americans and most probably even the consulate officer. You will be fine.

The goal of dv lottery is not to attract the best. There are other programs for this. The goal of dv lottery is diversity. Those with more education do not have advantages over those with less education, provided you have at least high school education.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Dziecka. Come on people. High school is MINIMUM education requirement. If u have proof of US degrees you will be fine. Carry sealed official transcripts. The point is they don't want too many uneducated people moving to US. That is why they have that restriction. It helps the US become a greater nation because they try to attract the best from other countries. You already more education than most Americans and most probably even the consulate officer. You will be fine.

not true, US does not look a lot for educated people, they want people to work in construction and second jobs that americans fo not want, there are a lot of americans like me who has bachelor and master degree, i could be their competitor , US want me to work in walmart lol

The point of his post was to reassure you that you will be fine when you go to the interview. Because it's pretty obvious you have your hs done.
Besides that think a little bit. If the CO would care only about proving him you finished your high school people could write they have Ph.D (even though it was a lie) because they dont have to show it.
Ayways... The only way to find out is going to the interview. And im sure you'll be fine.
And believe me there is plenty of people in america working in constructions or other low skilled jobs. Dont forget abt latin america or eastern europe.

The minimum requirements of entering the lottery is a HS diploma or equivalent) or 2 years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two years' training or experience. This is what the regulations of the program is stating. Apart from that, on the submission process, if I recall it, on the education part you are advised to write down the highest education you have achieved until that moment taking into account the requirements (see above)
Taking into account the regulations and the submitting process, the CO will be a bit circumspect when, reading your application and analyzing your documents, there will be a difference. Don't judge my opinion until considering the reason for this opinion : YOU ARE TO PROVIDE EXACT DOCUMENTS AND INFORMATION YOU HAVE PROVIDED ON THE REGISTRATION PROCESS.
Now, taking into account that you have a higher degree for a US university, that might help you and make the CO approve that documentation as a prove for your education (the chances are very high in my opinion). But as an advise to every person that will read this : PLEASE CONSIDER ALL YOUR DOCUMENTS BEFORE SUBMITTING TO THE PROCESS AND PROVIDE THE EXACT SAME THINGS AT THE INTERVIEW! ANY DISCORDANCE WITH THE INFORMATION OR DOCUMENTS MAY LEAD TO DISQUALIFICATION AND IS IN THE POWER OF THE CO TO FURTHER PROCESS THE APPLICATION OR DENY AND DISQUALIFY THE APPLICANT!
It is also very important : ANY DISQUALIFICATION FOR DISCORDANCE IN DOCUMENTS OR INFORMATION MAY LEAD TO A BAN FOR ENTERING US WITH ANY KIND OF VISA AND THIS BAN MY BE FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS OR A LIFETIME BAN.

@Princedriss having put my opinion out-there, in my opinion you should take your chances and go for the interview and I wish you best of luck!
@Raevsky the point of the program is diversity, yes. But that doesn't mean they want the less qualified or less educated people to enter. Diversity is all about race, culture and believes but EDUCATION also.Is a wrong believe that of considering the DV program as an alternative for US to cover low skilled work that Americans don't want.Take into account that many Americans are only HS graduates and about 30% or less of the population are BS graduates or holding a higher diploma.

The minimum requirements of entering the lottery is a HS diploma or equivalent) or 2 years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two years' training or experience. This is what the regulations of the program is stating. Apart from that, on the submission process, if I recall it, on the education part you are advised to write down the highest education you have achieved until that moment taking into account the requirements (see above)
Taking into account the regulations and the submitting process, the CO will be a bit circumspect when, reading your application and analyzing your documents, there will be a difference. Don't judge my opinion until considering the reason for this opinion : YOU ARE TO PROVIDE EXACT DOCUMENTS AND INFORMATION YOU HAVE PROVIDED ON THE REGISTRATION PROCESS.
Now, taking into account that you have a higher degree for a US university, that might help you and make the CO approve that documentation as a prove for your education (the chances are very high in my opinion). But as an advise to every person that will read this : PLEASE CONSIDER ALL YOUR DOCUMENTS BEFORE SUBMITTING TO THE PROCESS AND PROVIDE THE EXACT SAME THINGS AT THE INTERVIEW! ANY DISCORDANCE WITH THE INFORMATION OR DOCUMENTS MAY LEAD TO DISQUALIFICATION AND IS IN THE POWER OF THE CO TO FURTHER PROCESS THE APPLICATION OR DENY AND DISQUALIFY THE APPLICANT!
It is also very important : ANY DISQUALIFICATION FOR DISCORDANCE IN DOCUMENTS OR INFORMATION MAY LEAD TO A BAN FOR ENTERING US WITH ANY KIND OF VISA AND THIS BAN MY BE FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS OR A LIFETIME BAN.
Since you submitted original electronic entry form, your situation might have changed. For instance, on the form you had primary school only, but later you got a hs diploma. That is very normal.

@Princedriss having put my opinion out-there, in my opinion you should take your chances and go for the interview and I wish you best of luck!
@Raevsky the point of the program is diversity, yes. But that doesn't mean they want the less qualified or less educated people to enter. Diversity is all about race, culture and believes but EDUCATION also.Is a wrong believe that of considering the DV program as an alternative for US to cover low skilled work that Americans don't want.Take into account that many Americans are only HS graduates and about 30% or less of the population are BS graduates or holding a higher diploma.
The goal of DV lottery program is not high education. Period. Of course, it does not target low level jobs as well. The goal of DV lottery is diversity. Diversity only. As long as you satisfy requirements (through education or through work), it does not matter what education you have, what work you do and whether you are going to work in the US at all. You are free to work or not to work. You are free to work on high level position or on low level position.

So i think the answer, i need to look for a proof for my HS diploma

@Raevsky you are trying to give answer but you're coming back and review and change some of your answer disqualifying yourself. Please try to review any other opinions. Why are you so strict and sure that the DV program is not about higher education at all? Diversity is also education (as the term is broadly explained in any online encyclopedia)
@Princedriss My friend, it will be better to have a proof of that HS diploma as that will be exactly the information you provided on your submission process. But chances are high for you to be approved without the HS diploma if the CO will take into account that your higher degree is a US university accreditation that can not be pursued without having your HS diploma. That will be on the hands of the CO.

yes alin , but at worst i can get "under administrat processing" which will take me a time so they can check that my university accept only HS holders, so i prefer to get a certificate in order to make the process go easily :)

@Princedriss, Dont you have copies of documents you had to provide when you applied for american university?

@Raevsky you are trying to give answer but you're coming back and review and change some of your answer disqualifying yourself.
What do you mean?
Please try to review any other opinions. Why are you so strict and sure that the DV program is not about higher education at all? Diversity is also education (as the term is broadly explained in any online encyclopedia)
Requirements for dv lottery program are formal. Multicultural education is informal. That is the cultures you guys bring to US from your countries. That is not formal education. That is lifestyle, that is what diversity is.

@Princedriss, Dont you have copies of documents you had to provide when you applied for american university?

I applied for american university 10 years ago, i don't have any track of that bro, long time that i did not event think a day that i will need my hs diploma specially when i finish my masterlol, maybe i can get a copy of my HS diploma, but only copy not the original one, which is not enough.

What do you mean?
Requirements for dv lottery program are formal. Multicultural education is informal. That is the cultures you guys bring to US from your countries. That is not formal education. That is lifestyle, that is what diversity is.

You are disqualifying some of your own replies on different threads. This is the opinion I have just reviewing most of your posts on this forum. You are stating some things at the beginning and then, analyzing other answers, you're saying the exact different thing changing some of your answer 180º degrees

Requirements for the DV program are not just formal and HS diploma or a prove of qualified experience is not there just for having some formal rules. Those rules are made to ensure a minimum knowledge and skill of the future US resident.

You are disqualifying some of your own replies on different threads. This is the opinion I have just reviewing most of your posts on this forum. You are stating some things at the beginning and then, analyzing other answers, you're saying the exact different thing changing some of your answer 180º degrees
Give me an example

Requirements for the DV program are not just formal and HS diploma or a prove of qualified experience is not there just for having some formal rules. Those rules are made to ensure a minimum knowledge and skill of the future US resident.
How come you need any education if you are not going to work in the US?

That is where the logical mistake is.
As I said, I personally know someone who was admitted to a PhD program in MIT with 2 years of middle school and no attending school or a university after that (before being addmitted to the PhD program at MIT)

True!