• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

high school diploma prob

You just need your official job description, that is it. Nobody requires your employer to know you are going to US
However, the consulate might verify your job description with your employer, without disclosing the reason...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes it is mentioned on certificates that only one copy is delivered to the applicant and if more copies are needed the applicant is required to make photocopies and make them certified.
Maybe if you have this information on your certificate along with a proof of the lost of your original certificate this can provide evidence that new original copy is unobtainable. Of course you have to translate your document in English if it is not.

Also note that the officer may not ask you your HS diploma.

Good luck.

The only way to prove it is unobtainable is to try to obtain a duplicate in authorities that provide them, and get a written denial.

You just need your official job description, that is it. Nobody requires your employer to know you are going to US
However, the consulate might verify your job description with your employer, without disclosing the reason...

that means i have to look for the hs diploma, a new one ?

just cant understand, how my universit diploma could not replace my hs diploma

The only way to prove it is unobtainable is to try to obtain a duplicate in authorities that provide them, and get a written denial.

I know, but it doesn't work that way in some countries, especially from Africa.

waw man i am in trouble :s i dont wanna let my employer that i am going to US

You are not in any trouble. First, everybody knows that no school issues a second diploma because you lost the original. Only thing they can issue is a certificate that says you graduated from that school, and if the CO accepts it, you are fine. I don't think they will even bother to ask for a HS diploma if they see your BS and MS degrees; as a matter of fact some consulates want to see your latest degree, so in your case that would be MS. If everything else fails, you still have your employment; take a look at the web site of the US embassy where you will go for the interview; every embassy have their own list of things; if they ask for a job description from employer, tell your employer that you are getting a tourist visa and you need this thing that lists your qualifications, job description requirements, salary etc. and you are done.

I know, but it doesn't work that way in some countries, especially from Africa.
Possible. But in consulates other than in those countries you will still be subject to the rules I mentioned. Only consulates that really know the contry specifics will have different country-specific approach.

You are not in any trouble. First, everybody knows that no school issues a second diploma because you lost the original.
That is a misconception. Most of them issue duplicates if you really graduated from hs. Also, ministry of secondary education could issue duplicates
Only thing they can issue is a certificate that says you graduated from that school, and if the CO accepts it, you are fine. I don't think they will even bother to ask for a HS diploma if they see your BS and MS degrees; as a matter of fact some consulates want to see your latest degree, so in your case that would be MS.
Most consulates will require you to produce hs diploma or prove they are unobtainable.

If everything else fails, you still have your employment;
However, you need to satisfy SVP and job zone requirements. That might not work for you because those requrements could be not satisfied.

You are not in any trouble. First, everybody knows that no school issues a second diploma because you lost the original. Only thing they can issue is a certificate that says you graduated from that school, and if the CO accepts it, you are fine. I don't think they will even bother to ask for a HS diploma if they see your BS and MS degrees; as a matter of fact some consulates want to see your latest degree, so in your case that would be MS. If everything else fails, you still have your employment; take a look at the web site of the US embassy where you will go for the interview; every embassy have their own list of things; if they ask for a job description from employer, tell your employer that you are getting a tourist visa and you need this thing that lists your qualifications, job description requirements, salary etc. and you are done.

Ok thanks man for explaining me more, anyway, I cannot get job description from myy company, they never give those kind information, all what i can get is attestation that says i am a business consultant + mentioning the time from where i start to work with them ( since september 2010 ) , so all i can bring for the consulate is the title of y work + the time when did i start.

well in other hand, i have got my hs diploma since 2003 , i need to go back to the education ministry to have a document for my hs diploma, i let u imagine how could be difficult to find this kind of document in a third world country in where i am ...

all what i can get is attestation that says i am a business consultant + mentioning the time from where i start to work with them ( since september 2010 ) , so all i can bring for the consulate is the title of y work + the time when did i start.
That is definitely not enough, unfortunately. The consulate will not issue you a visa based on that thing only

nobody from my country was asked about HS diploma during his/her interview if they graduated from university. all of them had to show a proof of highest level of education they wrote on their application.
raevsky you tell people they can get a visa if they "forgot" to list their kids on initial entry if they go for AOS even though instruction clearly says they'll be disqualified and now you're telling him he might get denied if he doesnt show his HS diploma knowing he has his MS. nonsense.

nobody from my country was asked about HS diploma during his/her interview if they graduated from university. all of them had to show a proof of highest level of education they wrote on their application.
raevsky you tell people they can get a visa if they "forgot" to list their kids on initial entry if they go for AOS even though instruction clearly says they'll be disqualified and now you're telling him he might get denied if he doesnt show his HS diploma knowing he has his MS. nonsense.

Thanks man for ur reply, i think raevsky is saying a lot of nonsense purposes, anyway i will bring my american diplomas ( that are signed by secretary of state Hilary Clinton , i did that before i left the US in 2009 ) and am gonna show them that :)

even though instruction clearly says they'll be disqualified
Instructions for AOS do not say that at all. Moreover, instructions for CP complain that by doing AOS people can avoid compliance with CP instructions.

now you're telling him he might get denied if he doesnt show his HS diploma knowing he has his MS. nonsense.
OK, let's look at the authority.
22 CFR 42.33 states http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/42-33-diversity-immigrants-19720788
and if he or she has at least a high school education or its equivalent
Corresponding AOS regulations state https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!topic/alt.visa.us/Vz0M7tc_ce4
Each DV-1 principal must show that he or she has at least a high school education or its equivalent
Is it so obvious what "at least" means? Could it mean another level of education on top of high school education, provided you have high school education?
How do you compare one education versus another one and how do you say one of them is at least another one? I do not see a guide which allows you to compare educations.

I see 3 references to Wolfsdorf, clarifying this question. Let's analyse them.
1. http://www.docstoc.com/docs/63167813/Immigrant-Visa-Advisory-Opinion Copyright 2004-2005 We have a statement
Practice Pointer – An applicant may present a Master’s degree to meet this requirement.
, however, without any mentioning of the source. Even though a lot of references for other statements exist in the article.

2. http://www.wolfsdorf.com/articles/DV_Article_2004-05.pdf Copyright 2007
Practice Pointer – An applicant may present a bachelor's or master’s degree to meet this requirement. 28
, however, all references, including reference 28, that should clarify the source of this statement, are excluded from the text. Are they excluded on purpose? Because underlying statements do not exist?
3. http://www.wolfsdorf.com/articles/Winning the DV Lottery (revised).pdf Copyright 2010. Mentioning of this practice pointer is completely gone. Do you have any idea why? Is it because Wolfsdorf reconsidered by 2010? Or because underlying regulations have changed?

Unfortunately, other than in Wolfsdorf works, this question has not been covered at all. And Wolfsdorf's works are inconclusive, and show the tendency from considering bechelor's and master's degrees to not considering them.

Obviousely, there are no clear regulations on the matter, and Wolfsdorf is either mistaken or tries to hide the source. That gives consulates/USCIS more flexibility to interpret regulations. However, standard way of handling the situation would be to apply the "unobtainable" evidence clause (mentioned earlier) to high school diploma first before trying to consider bachelor's or master's degrees.

Another pointer would be a Congressional Research Service important document.
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41747.pdf (Copyright 2011)
To be eligible for a diversity visa, the INA requires that the foreign national must have a high school education or the equivalent
what would also mean slowly distantiating from at least clause. That could explain why Wolfsdorf 2010 is not longer mentioning bechelor's or master's degree would qualify.

Lack of clear regulations and a lot of discretion by DOS/USCIS in interpreting "at least" clause. Could lead to different policy of different consulates on the matter, and even to different views of different consuls within a consulate. Most likely you will still be asked to provide a proof of unobtainability before considering the issue further.