Have people really been asked why they used their NP and not an RTD for international travel?

Wawawa

I have a GC based on Asylum. I’ve applied for RTDs in the past and successfully obtained them. I never really had the money for an international travel until recently. Now that I do, my RTD expires in less than 3 months. Most countries that I plan on visiting to do not accept RTDs and require that passports be valid for a minimum of 6 months. The question I’ve wanted to ask on here is - have people who have LPR based on asylum been able to use their NP for travel successfully? Did you experience any issues while reentering the US or during the Naturalization interview? In my perspective, I am not claiming protection from my COP. I just am using the NP as a valid form of ID internationally. I do not plan to go back to my home country ever.

There's a difference between using your NP and renewing your NP as an asylum based LPR. Using your NP is much easier. Usually you don't get any questions re-entering the country. In fact, CBP often ask why you're not traveling on your NP instead of an RTD or RP. They could question you during your naturalisation interview, so make sure you have a valid argument (your current argument is pretty good). If you don't fear persecution by using your passport, you usually can. I've also heard of people who renewed, but I don't have any anecdotal evidence for you about their cases.