H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Hi,
My name is Lateef Sagar Shaikh. I am Pakistani. I have got an appointment for H1 stamping for 10-Dec-2007 from Ottawa. I am worried that how much time would I need to wait to collect the passport after interview. I've heard that for Pakistanis they take 1-2 months.

Please tell me if any one has such experience from Ottawa. Is there any comman name issue? Is it better to go to Toronto or Ottawa or Pakistan? These days situation in Pakistan is not good. Here I have a job and I am unable to get long leave. Please suggest what should I do.

Please reply ASAP.

Ottawa consultate will call you in advance if there is a possibility of name check in your case.

Good luck.

visa delay - how much?

I don't think you can generalize it like that. Trackers are accessed mostly by people who are stuck with visa delays. People who go, apply and get it in a day or two never take time to come up and update trackers. This data therefore, is highly skewed.
The official word from the department of state is that more than 95% of applicants get their visas within 3 business days, or something like that.
No more statistics are given which is frustrating..

the objective data shows that the average delay in stamping is 97 days. the spread is (7-266 days). so can be the lucky one and get it early. the paper given by the consulate is called 221g you can do a search for that.

http://immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=267442

this data is from trackers in 2006-2007. about 50 cases in canada. some off them are indians and non muslim.

good luck

Data reference

i should have posted the detail link here is an excerpt. pretty grim. unfortunately most of the brunt is taken by a certain section and religion.

"As of May 2007, USCIS reported a staggering 329,160 FBI name check cases pending, with approximately 64 percent (211,341) of those cases pending more than 90 days and approximately 32 percent (106,738) pending more than one year.40 While the percentages of long-pending cases compared to last year are similar, the absolute numbers have increased. There are now 93,358 more cases pending the name check than last year. Perhaps most disturbing, there are 31,144 FBI name check cases pending more than 33 months as compared to 21,570 last year – over a 44 percent increase in the number of cases pending more than 33 months.41
40 See USCIS FBI Pending Name Check Aging Report (May 4, 2007). It is important to note that USCIS does not include within its backlog cases pending due to FBI name checks. There are 155,592 FBI name check cases pending more than six months that otherwise may be part of USCIS’ backlog. See section III.B for a discussion of USCIS backlogs.
41 See id. June 2007 www.dhs.gov/cisombudsman
email: cisombudsman@dhs.gov Page 37

***PS moral of the story is when you apply to a US embassy and fit into a profile ( Muslim, single , certain countries) the likelihood of you going thorough a "221g",namecheck security check etc is "extremely high(read certain)". the probablity that the delay in the processing will be longer then 90 days is "high(read very likely)". Thats what the USCIS,FBI data shows. BUT you can always "hope(read wishfulthinking)"that you will not go through the process. there is an another section of applicant which fall into the TAL or job related security check (laser tech,radiation etc) i do not include that in my assessment as they usually dont encounter the same delays. most of them are non-muslims or indians in H1B category.
sorry for sounding pessimistic. but i am trying to be objective and realistic. it is not my intention to make any one anxious. stats say a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: H1B Visa stamp Toronto US Embassy?

Hello,

I am applying for Canada Visit Visa, I would appreciate anyone answer the followings:

1) How do I pay for Canada visit visa processing fee?

2) Can I apply for visa in mail? or do I have to apply in person for visit visa?

I am planning to apply in Buffalo office, but unable to find payment information on their site.

Thanks.
:confused:

Called DOS - background check done, status pending.

Hi,

I called DOS and they said that my background check is finished and the status is pending.

Is anyone aware of such condition and what does it mean?

Your replies are very much appreciated.

Thank you

Question about H1B visa stamping --- please help

Hi,

Thank you all for helping people like me by your quick replies. My case is like this. I came here in 2005 August for doing my m.s. I am working in Construction Company from Oct. 2006. I filed my h1b visa on the basis of my Indian master’s degree in April 2007. I got my approval for h1b visa. In between I complete my Master of science from USA in May 2007. Now I am on H1B visa based on my Indian education. Can I go to Canada for my visa stamping? Is it necessary for visa stamping from Canada that one have h1b visa based on my USA master degree?

Thank you,

Chilal

Hi. I was wondering if someone would be able to help me? I am trying to find information on what might be happening with new rules for visa processing.
I had an interview for H-1B visa (first time) in Toronto- Nov. 21st. The visa was approved immediately. I was very happy when this happened.
However I was then told (along with other applicants) that there is a "new processing requirement" from USCIS for all consulates. This means we will have to wait 4 additional business days as they need an "electronic confirmation" before stamping the visa.
I was asked to return on Wed. Nov. 28th. I was very stressed but managed to get extra leave from employer and find a place to stay.
Returned on 28th, and was told that my passport and visa were not available. The lady said "your file is still pending online, we have not received the verification from the state department". This is the only information they would give me.
Was told to return on Thurs. and then Fri. Same response. No further explanation. Now they have asked me no longer to come in person but only to call them every now and then in case it comes through.
Now I am at a loss. I have been in Toronto 12 days, and have no idea when I can return to the states. I don't know how long this process will take, why my case is being held up (they said most had been returned by now), or even what is involved in "verification"? I am running low on funds and I don't have enough vacation time from my employer. :(
Can anyone help me with more information? Does anyone know what this new process is or why it might be delayed? Is there a chance my visa could still be refused? My application was very straightforward, no special conditions involved. I work for a nonprofit organization. I was converting from F-1 visa-OPT.
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your help.

H1-H4 Visa renewal Fee at Toronto Consulate

Guys,

I have confusion over Visa Fee structure for H1 and H4 Visa renewal at Toronto consulate. I am an Indian citizen and will be applying for H1-H4 Visa renewal. Now as per following link what I understood is US $ 100/- per applicnat is application fee , need to be deposited in Scotia Bank either through cash or money order. Further digging I came to know that now for Indian Nationals Reciprocity fee is not applicable. Now I have following questions.

http://www.amcits.com/visa_fees_canada.asp

1) Above link does not tell that to whom I need to pay fee. Would it be US
Treasory or Department of state or altogether different entity?

2) Just for peace of mind I want to verify whether reciprocity fee for Indian
national is eliminated now or not. If it is applicable the what would be the fee? Previously it used to be $ 50/- per applicant. Now if I will have to pay that fee the will I have to deposite in Scotia bank or At the visa window I will have to pay? And that payment is by money order or they accept cash? Again if money order to what name I have to withdrawn the money order?

3) Now my employer package tells me about paying $ 45/- fee per applicant for machine readable visa but above link does not talk about it at all. so what is the truth? Is such fee in existence?

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

This is for a close friend of mine who is going to Canada to get his H1B visa. The problem is that he doesnt want to get stuck into a long name check B.S. This is where he stands at the moment:
- He is from Pakistan
- He is a Non-Muslim
- He was arrested for disorderly conduct
His friend who is from India had the similar charge. He selected NO on the "Have you ever been arrested..." question and nothing happened to him he(Indian friend) has security clearance at the moment. Just to add to this, his case happened back in 01-02. I'm here to find out whether its safe to check NO and proceed? Any suggestions comments thanks.

Guys,

I have confusion over Visa Fee structure for H1 and H4 Visa renewal at Toronto consulate. I am an Indian citizen and will be applying for H1-H4 Visa renewal. Now as per following link what I understood is US $ 100/- per applicnat is application fee , need to be deposited in Scotia Bank either through cash or money order. Further digging I came to know that now for Indian Nationals Reciprocity fee is not applicable. Now I have following questions.

http://www.amcits.com/visa_fees_canada.asp

1) Above link does not tell that to whom I need to pay fee. Would it be US
Treasory or Department of state or altogether different entity?

2) Just for peace of mind I want to verify whether reciprocity fee for Indian
national is eliminated now or not. If it is applicable the what would be the fee? Previously it used to be $ 50/- per applicant. Now if I will have to pay that fee the will I have to deposite in Scotia bank or At the visa window I will have to pay? And that payment is by money order or they accept cash? Again if money order to what name I have to withdrawn the money order?

3) Now my employer package tells me about paying $ 45/- fee per applicant for machine readable visa but above link does not talk about it at all. so what is the truth? Is such fee in existence?

Thanks.

I did stamping from India on March 23, 2007. Below are my replies:
1. Not sure
2. Reciprocity fee was waived for applicants from India.
3. Never heard.

Hi,

Thank you all for helping people like me by your quick replies. My case is like this. I came here in 2005 August for doing my m.s. I am working in Construction Company from Oct. 2006. I filed my h1b visa on the basis of my Indian master’s degree in April 2007. I got my approval for h1b visa. In between I complete my Master of science from USA in May 2007. Now I am on H1B visa based on my Indian education. Can I go to Canada for my visa stamping? Is it necessary for visa stamping from Canada that one have h1b visa based on my USA master degree?

Thank you,

Chilal

Yes, you can still go for visa stamping in Canada. Please carry your educational evaluation.

Hi Guys,

This is for a close friend of mine who is going to Canada to get his H1B visa. The problem is that he doesnt want to get stuck into a long name check B.S. This is where he stands at the moment:
- He is from Pakistan
- He is a Non-Muslim
- He was arrested for disorderly conduct
His friend who is from India had the similar charge. He selected NO on the "Have you ever been arrested..." question and nothing happened to him he(Indian friend) has security clearance at the moment. Just to add to this, his case happened back in 01-02. I'm here to find out whether its safe to check NO and proceed? Any suggestions comments thanks.

Being from a specific country or religious background shouldn't matter, as long as the applicant is genuine... It's about taking chance - I would still ask your friend to furnish the truth.

Being from a specific country or religious background shouldn't matter, as long as the applicant is genuine... It's about taking chance - I would still ask your friend to furnish the truth.

Well he took the chance and it will take 2 weeks to run a background check on the employers and education stuff....no FBI check though so far every thing looks good will update when i get more info

Need urgent reply

Hi, I had an interview today morning (10-Dec-2007 @ 9:00 AM) for h1 re-stamping in ottawa with my wife. The Visa Officer said that I have all the required documents but I have to wait till Tuesday (18-Dec-2007), as I can not hear before that, but there is just a little chance that I might here on Friday or Monday. We are from Pakistan so she said they will have security clearance check of us. She gave me a blue paper.

Please tell me if nayone has got that paper and then when you got passports back.

I got a call from US Consulate - Toronto today and verified my I-797 A info and asked me whether I know the new rule of four business days wait for picking up the passports. I said well, it was 2 days while I scheduled the appointment and rep told me that well now it is 4 days so make travel arrangements accordingly.
Now I have sent the expedite request.. Let's see whether that's approved or not. If not then I will cancel the appointment.

back in 06 when I did it, visa would be issued the next business day. so do you now have to wait until 4th business day after your interview date?
I got a call from US Consulate - Toronto today and verified my I-797 A info and asked me whether I know the new rule of four business days wait for picking up the passports. I said well, it was 2 days while I scheduled the appointment and rep told me that well now it is 4 days so make travel arrangements accordingly.
Now I have sent the expedite request.. Let's see whether that's approved or not. If not then I will cancel the appointment.

I think, now they are mailing the passports back - that accounts for 4 days.

No. US residents still have to go to consulate to pick them up. USCIS declared new "Fatva" 2 weeks back. Still many consulates are not aware and guess what Toronto consulate is aware and implemented that. See following link for that "Fatva". According to rep now it will take them 4 business days to fulfill following procedural requirement.

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_pimsve.html